5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marcelinho87

I actually though James looked better today, he kept making runs in behind and he put some good balls into the box.

I have faith he will be a good squad player at the very least for us.

NoPace

Very good movement off the ball, he'll be our 3rd winger for a long time backing up Rashford out left and some transfer out right. Pretty clear Greenwood is a 9.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
I actually though James looked better today, he kept making runs in behind and he put some good balls into the box.

I have faith he will be a good squad player at the very least for us.
I think it helps when you have a player that can get you the ball when making those runs too.

I hope he kicks on, though I don't expect him to be playing as many games next season if we get the right player in.

Marcelinho87

I think that's what the expectation should be...a decent squad option.
I think it helps when you have a player that can get you the ball when making those runs too.

I hope he kicks on, though I don't expect him to be playing as many games next season if we get the right player in.
Indeed, I don't ever think the expectation was for him to come here and play so many but circumstances forced the issue for whatever reason.

He seems a nice, down to earth lad though and I hope he makes a career here.

Davìd Moyéz

I'm normally really biased in favour of young players but does anyone see James becoming a top player? Would love to see what Zaha could've done for us if he'd been given half the opportunities that James has had.
What slightly irks me is how OGS treats him as a senior player when he shouldn't be in that category. He's come off the back of a reasonable championship season to be a starter every week for Manchester United. I think the likes of Gomes or even Chong would've had a bigger output this season if they'd played as many minutes as James. No goals since September whilst starting most games in a front 3 is pretty worrying.

Man Utd 5:0 Brugge

mad1max954

Needs taking out of the first 11 for a while! Difficult as we don’t have other options i know, but feel like we are ruining him at the minute. His confidence looks completely shot

romufc

He's not up to it. Bench player to run onto long balls against tired legs, loan or sell. Never ever ever start.
Does he not have the most assists for us?

When he was signed, it was not to be an instant starter, he was put in done well and like with most young players they have a little drop and have to go work on their game.

The fact is he is a utility player, can be used for rotation and cover injuries. When everyone's hes a good option to have.

Andersons Dietician

I thought he was alright last night. Did some nice things, but you can just see that the decision making and the final bit of quality isn’t there.
I really think his pace is overrated, or he’s just so knackered that it isn’t there currently. Doesn’t seem to be able to really beat a man using it and he doesn’t have the strength or balance to go past people when they can match his run.

cyberman

Does he not have the most assists for us?

When he was signed, it was not to be an instant starter, he was put in done well and like with most young players they have a little drop and have to go work on their game.

The fact is he is a utility player, can be used for rotation and cover injuries. When everyone's hes a good option to have.
He should have a lot more assists with the balls he was putting in as well

arthurka

He looks tired and absolutely grinding it out. He should never be starting all games for this club but again we are seriously lacking in depth so he will continue as the other players like Chong hasn´t grabbed his chances. He is still providing assists though but he should have scored last night.

Davìd Moyéz

Needs taking out of the first 11 for a while! Difficult as we don’t have other options i know, but feel like we are ruining him at the minute. His confidence looks completely shot
I would give Chong a few games. Had a decent cameo last night and a few minutes might persuade him to stay.

Ibi Dreams

I thought he was pretty good against Brugge, and would have probably had a goal if their player hadn't handled it

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I thought he was alright last night. Did some nice things, but you can just see that the decision making and the final bit of quality isn’t there.
I really think his pace is overrated, or he’s just so knackered that it isn’t there currently. Doesn’t seem to be able to really beat a man using it and he doesn’t have the strength or balance to go past people when they can match his run.
It's always hard for someone with his dribbling technique to play against teams who don't give him a lot of space, when they sit so deep there's so little ground for him to knock the ball past his man and still have enough of the pitch left to do something witht the ball. He doesn't have the dribbling ability to play against teams who park the bus, he still has his uses considering there are a lot of PL teams who do opt to attack.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Not sure he is the answer either, he rarely does anything when given a chance.
He got an assist, unlucky not to get another and nearly scored last night, against Tranmere he hit the bar and could've scored, he's got a goal coming. Chong's been absolutely fine last couple of times he's played, looks like he's finally starting to adapt to the physicality of the men's game, probably not the best time to blood him in the league with the fixtures we've got coming up anyway.

Ace of Spades

He was fine, and it was his shot that got the penalty. He has played a lot of games this year, and after a good start he has regressed a little. No reason he can't be a goo squad option, and he has room to improve.

James Ward

He's not up to it. Bench player to run onto long balls against tired legs, loan or sell. Never ever ever start.
22, not on a huge wage, most assists for us this season, first season in the premier league., showing potential.

Yea we should sell him :houllier:. He is a far better player then Jesse and Andreas.

Davìd Moyéz

Not sure he is the answer either, he rarely does anything when given a chance.
I don't think he is either but if we sign him to a contract and sell him for £10 million it will be a lot better than leaving on a free. He's industrious and more technically gifted than James as well.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Gutted for him that their CB decided to become goalkeeper and save his shot - it looked destined for the back of the net.

Although it worked out for the team better, it would have done him the world of good to score after a few months.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I once said when he is on form I would start him against any team in the world. His pace is so frightening and he is a true team player. His general level might not be at the level required but it doesn't matter that much. If all the other aspects of his attacking game like the technical side of things as well as football intelligence was as great as Mata or something that would make him a player with a consistent great all-round game. Not something you see very often in players similar in style. It's rare. It would put him up there with the likes of Bale etc. It's not very realistic to expect. I don't think he'll ever reach that level, I'm just saying theres a lot of ground between those types of players and a championship player. He doesn't need to reach Bale level to be a solid player for us.

His qualities make him the most dangerous man on the pitch when he is on form, and it opens up a lot of space for the players around him. When he isn't on form, not so much. But with the style of player he is, even when not on form he is still a threat in our set up if the team is direct and constantly on the move.

That said, right now he looks exhausted and not very sharp. It will be very interesting to see how he gets on in his second season. If he can kick on then sky is the limit, and if he stays like this it's fine for a squad player, and if he regresses a lot then we'll probably recoup what we paid anyways.

EngimaMK

22, not on a huge wage, most assists for us this season, first season in the premier league., showing potential.

Yea we should sell him :houllier:. He is a far better player then Jesse and Andreas.
I know mate, some people have mad expectations. He's a decent squad player and has been run ragged this season. Did well last night I thought

KennyBurner

Everton will be a good game for him because he is a direct player with loads of pace against an opposition that wont sit back. These are the games I would encourage Ole to start him in since we are lacking in sqaud depth. Even though he lacks a lot of quality on the ball he is quite an intelligent player with his decision making. It doesnt always come off because he lacks the technique. Im willing to bet he will have a great game this sunday if Ole fields the same team that started this Thursday.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

Is that the standard? 6 assists? No need to sell him but he should be warming the bench more often than not next season

James Ward

Is that the standard? 6 assists? No need to sell him but he should be warming the bench more often than not next season
Some of the balls he put into the box were fantastic this season but no one was in the box. If we get a decent striker he would definitely be in double digits. Have to remember he is been played out of position as well.

He's young and will only get better. We do need a new right winger in the Summer but he is a fantastic option to have in the squad.

Dante

Average bang
He's a fantastic player. If you put him in the 11/12 or 12/13 team, he'd have easily bagged double figures in assists.

Terrific dribbler (when he's not getting fouled) and he's got great vision, too. Doesn't seem to get the credit he deserves for those cute little passes he makes in and around the box.

OL29

He's a fantastic player. If you put him in the 11/12 or 12/13 team, he'd have easily bagged double figures in assists.

Terrific dribbler (when he's not getting fouled) and he's got great vision, too. Doesn't seem to get the credit he deserves for those cute little passes he makes in and around the box.
If he’s a terrific dribbler then standards have dropped massively, he looks scared to take his man on the majority of the time. His passing is underrated but he’s got a long way to go before being labelled a fantastic player.

Dante

Average bang
If he’s a terrific dribbler then standards have dropped massively, he looks scared to take his man on the majority of the time. His passing is underrated but he’s got a long way to go before being labelled a fantastic player.
Or maybe you just can''t see it.

billybee99

That is a massive stretch. He hasn't scored a goal in more than 30 games. I wouldn't call that "fantastic." He's better than I thought he would be but I would say he is, by far, the weakest link in the starting lineup and needs to be ungraded. Still a hell of a lot better than Lingard or Perreira.

OL29

Or maybe you just can''t see it.
Giggs, Nani, even Rashford arguably are top class dribblers, James looks hesitant to even take players on. He’s a long way from being a fantastic player, it’s arguable if he should even be starting for us this year, let alone next season. I hope he can develop into a top level player but I think you’re in the minority if you believe he’s there currently.

Snuffkin

We missed him in the second half of the Everton game. We had no energy.

Rolaholic

Objectively, for all the energy he expands, he really hasn't been up to standard for a starting forward for us. His end product in the final third and ability to create chances has sorely lacked and looks to be getting worse each week

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I have a few excuses for him:

He lacks Rashford making clever runs. He's not suited to a possession game (hopefully he will develop in that regard) and most of our recent opponents have defended deep. He's been overexposed.

Edit: That being said, I think he must play against City. Him and Martial up top.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth

Objectively, for all the energy he expands, he really hasn't been up to standard for a starting forward for us. His end product in the final third and ability to create chances has sorely lacked and looks to be getting worse each week
Indirectly he has contributed to at least 3 goals or so. Through-ball for the penalty on Bruno, and I feel like he made some relevant runs in the build up to some other goals.

Either way, I'm not surprised to see him regress from the start he had. First season at top level coming from Championship, right into becoming a starter for Man Utd. A bit too soon. At the start of the season he looked more like an incredible bargain but at the moment we are getting exactly what we paid for.

Tony247

I have a suggestion
1. Instead of using pace as weapon all the time he should slow down a bit and use pace as surprise element.
2. That will give him more time to link up with other players, as well as better decision making.
3. It will also increase his chance of beating players 1 on 1

Status
Not open for further replies.