Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

r0663664

Worships Man City
Assists is just as important as scoring goals. Martial has the natural instincts to be selfish as he is a striker but James? Ole needs to sit him down and watch the reply. We could be comfortably winning this 2 or 3 - nil.

Djemba-Djemba

Needs more composure but I'm sure that will come and he worked his arse off today.

I thought overall he played really well, his ability to run at pace with the ball was so crucial it helped us relieve pressure constantly.

Castia

Imagine Sancho or somebody of quality playing in that wide attacking role today we would gave scored 4 goals easily.

I like James, he came from Swansea as a unknown player and he’s done alright this season but he needs to step up a level to be a regular starter. In all honesty he’s better than I was expecting and still has room to improve.

billybee99

What a selfish little prick. So lucky not costing the team today many times being that greedy. Should have been left out of the team for next month or so.
Jesus. Get a grip. Selfish? The guy ran his ass off for the team today. It was about as unselfish a performance as you could find. How many times did he singlehandedly move us from our own half into their final third; it was very important because we were under a lot of pressure. Yes, he's very limited technically and needs to improve in a lot of areas but give it a rest.

Shaw Mee Tah Mané

Will become a great player for sure! But my reaction was similar to Ole’s, passing that ball back to Bruno is textbook for children. He won’t be doing obvious mistakes like that for much longer.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
What a selfish little prick. So lucky not costing the team today many times being that greedy. Should have been left out of the team for next month or so.
Moronic comments

izec

Imagine Sancho or somebody of quality playing in that wide attacking role today we would gave scored 4 goals easily.

I like James, he came from Swansea as a unknown player and he’s done alright this season but he needs to step up a level to be a regular starter. In all honesty he’s better than I was expecting and still has room to improve.
Sancho would have killed City today, he is lethal. At least 2 goals contributions guaranteed. His decision making is already extremely good

James should be a bench option coming on against tired legs for the last 20 minutes currently.

billybee99

I don't like people abusing him but let's be real here, he is probably our worst player since Bebe. We paid £15m for him? That's about £12m too much. He is just very bad at playing football.
Our "worst player since Bebe"? So you would have preferred Jlingz or Perreira out there today? Are you kidding? Yeah he missed a wide open Bruno. Yes, he needs to improve his dribbling and goal scoring but I will take him all day long over Jesse fecking Lingard or Perreira or even Mata who could never play in a game like this with his lack of pace. In the summer, we will buy Sancho and James will be on the bench where he belongs and he will learn his craft and be a very useful player.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Sancho would have killed City today, he is lethal. At least 2 goals contributions guaranteed. His decision making is already extremely good

James should be a bench option coming on against tired legs for the last 20 minutes currently.
He was integral to the tactical set up. His pace stops their defence playing so high up the pitch without conceding big chances to balls in behind.

His decision making needs to improve, but there's is a solid reason he took Martial off first. If we play that style, he should be starting all day. It's no different to Fergie playing Hargreaves RW against Chelsea in the CL final - he serves a bigger tactical purpose.

ben.heff10

I'll make a case for James' performance today:

First, his decision making was poor especially in the box. Should've squared for Martial/Bruno several times. However, he was so important to us today in the way he was able to start attacks. He was picking up the ball deeper than Martial, sometimes around the edge of our box, and turning defence into attack on his own. He did it throughout the game but I found it was more noticeable in the second half when we didn't really have any prolonged spells of possession. Someone mentioned we don't have anyone else who could've done that role and I agree, maybe Rashford but I don't think he has the same doggedness that James has.

He'll have to improve on his decision making but he's a young player. I don't see him ever becoming a world class winger but he'll run for days and fill tactical roles in big games. Very useful option to have.

Reactions: Dargonk

T_Model101

His final ball was completely wrong a couple of times, but he also played a vital role in how we played. Was a huge threat on the counter-attack which kept their defence under pressure, and he also played a big part in pressing from the front at times.
Totally agree. Didn't see the running stats, but was amazed that he lasted until the end. His dribbling under pressure was brilliant, only the final ball was lacking

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
worked really hard today! No ones mentioning the one where martial should of cut it back to an open fernandes... James is still a young lad and got lots of room for improvement but at 15m can’t argue with his first season, massive step up for the lad and he’s done decent.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
If he could be taught how to cross, and when to pass, he'd be an absolute monster.

If.

Foxbatt

His non stop running is what caused the problems for the City defence. Yes his decision making today was not very good but it's utterly ridiculous to slate him when we won and he played a very vital role in it.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
If he could be taught how to cross, and when to pass, he'd be an absolute monster.

If.
He knows full well how to cross, and has put countless lethal balls across the box that a poacher should have got on the end of.

His decision making definitely needs to improve, and I have no doubt it will.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
He should have passed before dribble in a first place.
But my question is how he did well overall? Didn't score, didn't create single chance. So running like crazy is well for Man Utd winger?
It's so easy to say what a player should have done in retrospect from the comfort of your keyboard.

He is a limited player to begin with, but with his pace he stretched their defense, and took advantage of the space he was given on the counter to create danger. He might not have ended up creating much in the end, but some on here are acting as if they had Jadon Sancho waiting on the bench to fill up that right wing and that's just not the case.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
If Ighalo had been with us all season then he would probably be into double figures assists wise this year. He has done enough and given us enough without the numbers reflecting exactly how effective and useful he has been at times. A good first year all in all.

As it pertains too the last couple of weeks specifically where he has been copping some stick. I still seem too see him being useful, even just watching the highlights he always seems too be the one playing a pass before an assist or being the reason we get at the defence. His ball for Fernandes when he won the penalty against Watford. Should have been similar today for Fred as well. He is doing lots of little things that add up too making a big difference. The comparison with a player like Park is certainly apt and he will (frustratingly) probably get the same kind of treatment from the fans as well in the sense that his name on the team sheet will always be met with a air of derision.

RedDevilRoshi

Worked his backside off all game and his pace is a real weapon which City struggled to handle at times.

His decision making did let him down and he’d have been crucified if we didn’t win today as those decisions could have potentially cost us in the end.

Decomposing In Paris

He reminds me a little of a young Pedro, and I feel he can develop into the kind of role he had at Barca. He needs to be a bit cuter with his decision making, and a little more composed with the final pass/shot... but there’s a player in there, and he’s been a really good signing.

cyril C

But they didn’t. What if he’d pulled it back and Bruno missed? What if because he wasn’t terrifying their defence they were able to get forward more? Better to concentrate on what actually happened I find.
If running without a brain is all he does, then he is not ready for EPL. I recall Zaha did the same, similar for Depay, it took a few seasons for them to mature.

I am not saying James is useless at all, like Zaha/Depay, but it should be a simple thing to teach the kids to play ball with the brain. He might not make the right decision every time but should at least try. Right now I only see wrong decision being made 100% of the time which is selfish at best stubborn and selfish at worst.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
If Ighalo had been with us all season then he would probably be into double figures assists wise this year. He has done enough and given us enough without the numbers reflecting exactly how effective and useful he has been at times. A good first year all in all.

As it pertains too the last couple of weeks specifically where he has been copping some stick. I still seem too see him being useful, even just watching the highlights he always seems too be the one playing a pass before an assist or being the reason we get at the defence. His ball for Fernandes when he won the penalty against Watford. Should have been similar today for Fred as well. He is doing lots of little things that add up too making a big difference. The comparison with a player like Park is certainly apt and he will (frustratingly) probably get the same kind of treatment from the fans as well in the sense that his name on the team sheet will always be met with a air of derision.
Good post, especially the second part.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
He has very good pace and always looks threatening when we are at counter. But his decision making has been very poor, need to work on it more.

peridigm

He has very good pace and always looks threatening when we are at counter. But his decision making has been very poor, need to work on it more.
I’m sure Ole gave him a few words after the match today. Few players too. We could have had 2-3 more goals if he was aware of his surroundings.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He'll learn from these bad decisions. He's been great for us, I hate people slagging him off.
He hasn't been great for us.

I like James. He's a likeable, hardworking wide player with exceptional pace. But it has to be acknowledged that he's also very limited for someone at a top club, and not really at the level to be starting for us. Also, I often see people claim that he 'should have had XX assists'. Putting in the a nice looking cross which doesn't pick out a team mate isn't assist worthy.

But of course he's a useful squad player to have and has a good mentality. I just don't believe he's some revelation or sure shot to a United player for years and years. He has to keep proving himself and improve his game with time.

Tony247

James is a squad player who supposed to come on as sub not starting each game. But he is serving well. Has to learn few basic things but I feel he will soon come by it.

Tarrou

the end product was shite but he was such an important outlet for us today, and his work-rate was phenomenal

he'll get better with experience too

I don't think he should be a guaranteed starter but at worst he's a good squad option

acnumber9

If running without a brain is all he does, then he is not ready for EPL. I recall Zaha did the same, similar for Depay, it took a few seasons for them to mature.

I am not saying James is useless at all, like Zaha/Depay, but it should be a simple thing to teach the kids to play ball with the brain. He might not make the right decision every time but should at least try. Right now I only see wrong decision being made 100% of the time which is selfish at best stubborn and selfish at worst.
Maybe you should pay more attention then.

onemanarmy

He hasn't been great for us.

I like James. He's a likeable, hardworking wide player with exceptional pace. But it has to be acknowledged that he's also very limited for someone at a top club, and not really at the level to be starting for us. Also, I often see people claim that he 'should have had XX assists'. Putting in the a nice looking cross which doesn't pick out a team mate isn't assist worthy.

But of course he's a useful squad player to have and has a good mentality. I just don't believe he's some revelation or sure shot to a United player for years and years. He has to keep proving himself and improve his game with time.
Let me rephrase it. For coming to us from a Championship team, playing his first season in the PL with a massive team as Utd, he's done great.

OrcaFat

I disagree with him being similar to Park apart from the tireless running. Park was not the type to run 60m with the ball committing two, sometimes three defenders to him. Park was very useful but nowhere near the threat to the opposition goal. Park was a terrier and did a job but at his very best he was not the game changer that James has already been for us at times. I for one don’t understand any derision for James or his selection.

Most parts of his game need improvement but does anyone expect the finished article at this point?

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Well said.

Utterly stupid remarks from some
Abusing player is stupid but pointing at flaws is not.
Why Bruno transformed our team? Why Rashford and Martial are essential for our attack? Because they provide goals through scoring them or creating them.
James is attacker. His desire, pace and personality is great ( i really like the guy as a person) but that shouldn't be standard for United attacker. He "worked his socks off" and worked hard 90 minutes should not be something which is enough for United attacker/winger. United attacker must provide goals. Simple as that. Am i demanding fan? Yes i am but i think that should be standard for team like ours.
This is similiar case as with Lingard. For years we talked how he runs a lot and "open space". Now when we have Bruno you can see what true no10 means for team.

This is his first season and i am not writting him off. But so far this is not good enough.

crossy1686

career ending
Teams pay big money for players who run at defenders and beat them and have the pace to cause major issues in behind. He already has the skillset to be a very good player, the rest of his game will develop in the coming seasons. Yes, he was greedy yesterday but when you haven't scored since the opening month of the PL and you have the chance to put one past City it would be hard to begrudge him a couple of shots.

A big part of his development will be getting competition for places on RW next season.

I recall a certain C. Ronaldo was the same too. He got endless stick in his first season for running with his head down, so much so it was coming from his own teammates as well as the fans. It means nothing if they are able to learn from it.

Our coaching staff will sit down with him and teach him where he needs to look up before making a decision. If he gets it, great, we will have one hell of a player on our hands, if he doesn't then he will still be a useful squad member for games like yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.