Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Great for him to get a goal. I hope it helps his composure a bit in decisive moments. He showed earlier in the season he can play with his head up.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I'm glad that James scored. Hopefully the monkey being off his back will help him play with more freedom and confidence.

kundalini

Nice goal and decent attempt that forced a good save in the first half. One poor cross.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He's been close a few times recently. Unlucky not to score in the 1st half and took his goal nicely.

Still think he will be a good squad player mainly - but having a player like him available is always a good thing.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Dan James is young. He needs to improve. He has to.

The biggest disappointment from James is not even his actual performance or attitude, but the fact that he has not progressed at all. If anything, he may be worse than he was at the beginning of the season. That is unacceptable from a young player, especially in a team in which most other players (AWB, McT, Fred, Martial, Rashford, Shaw, Williams) have improved significantly

I'm glad that James scored. Hopefully the monkey being off his back will help him play with more freedom and confidence.
Confidence is not his only problem, unfortunately. Decision-making (esp. when and who to pass to) and skills (finishing) are clearly lacking

Devil may care

I thought the ball had gotten away from him on the goal, good that he got one since it's been 32 games, but he really needs to gain more composure in the final third.

Bondi77

The biggest disappointment from James is not even his actual performance or attitude, but the fact that he has not progressed at all. If anything, he may be worse than he was at the beginning of the season. That is unacceptable from a young player, especially in a team in which most other players (AWB, McT, Fred, Martial, Rashford, Shaw, Williams) have improved significantly

Confidence is not his only problem, unfortunately. Decision-making (esp. when and who to pass to) and skills (finishing) are clearly lacking
You think that Martial has improved since he first came to the club?
Luke Shaw was in the Premier league team of the year when he was at Southampton and he has not come close since.
If you want to look at bad decision making watch Lindelof put his own defence under pressure or Pogba getting caught in possession.
This is the young man's first season in the top flight FFS and he has outperformed that 72mil misfit at Arsenal

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Really liked the boys celebration- seemed like he wanted that really badly.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
You think that Martial has improved since he first came to the club?
Luke Shaw was in the Premier league team of the year when he was at Southampton and he has not come close since.
If you want to look at bad decision making watch Lindelof put his own defence under pressure or Pogba getting caught in possession.
This is the young man's first season in the top flight FFS and he has outperformed that 72mil misfit at Arsenal
I think you have to compare Martial, Shaw etc. to their form in the previous season, not: years ago. In case of Martial, if I remember correctly, even years ago he only had several great games but his consistency always sucked.

I am not saying James is a bad player. I am very hopeful he will be great. But he has not improved all season, even regressed, despite playing virtually every single game and that is very worrisome, especially for people who care about him, which I am one of.

KennyBurner

His 2 greatest assets are his pace and great movement/positioning. he is always available on the counter which I love about him. Its gotten him this far and he can only get better from here on out. Will still need to improve his dribbling in tight spaces but at least thats also improving. Great and reliable player for these kind of open games.

On a side note i always find it interesting how inferior teams outside of England disregard sitting deep when facing us. Wish more premier league teams would do this so we can score multiple goals consistently.

It’s his second ever full season of PROFESSIONAL football, for gods sake. He was bound to have a dip and now he’s looking like coming out of it on the other side. That’s now 10 goal contributions in his first top flight season after making a huge jump from the Championship. That’s very impressive to me. Great assists which display decision making against Norwich and Liverpool, and good finishes against the likes of Southampton, Palace and now tonight.

Look at how Rashford was performing before his turn in form. Some of the threads on him were verging on outrageous.

Bondi77

I think you have to compare Martial, Shaw etc. to their form in the previous season, not: years ago. In case of Martial, if I remember correctly, even years ago he only had several great games but his consistency always sucked.

I am not saying James is a bad player. I am very hopeful he will be great. But he has not improved all season, even regressed, despite playing virtually every single game and that is very worrisome, especially for people who care about him, which I am one of.
All people in football will say that young players are inconsistent and he is a young player .
I just think he has done really well in his first season and we have had so many players that have been disappointing recently that we should be happy when one comes good.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
It’s his second ever full season of PROFESSIONAL football, for gods sake. He was bound to have a dip and now he’s looking like coming out of it on the other side. That’s now 10 goal contributions in his first top flight season after making a huge jump from the Championship. That’s very impressive to me. Great assists which display decision making against Norwich and Liverpool, and good finishes against the likes of Southampton, Palace and now tonight.

Look at how Rashford was performing before his turn in form. Some of the threads on him were verging on outrageous.
Yeah, that's what I've been saying too. Anything more than this and we'd be talking about world class potential here, and nobody is really doing that. Some of the criticism he has been getting completely disregards this context. He is a 17m player proving himself very useful. He'll do well to become a 50m player imo and he'll become that at United. The type of signing Spurs used to make and we'd be jealous.

Foxbatt

It is not inconsistency due to him being young or inexperienced. Ole has publicly called him out against City when he repeatedly didn't pass and tried to score all by himself. Even today he did that. That is not inconsistency. That is being arrogant or stubborn. It is a team game and he needs to control himself and think of the team first. I am sure Ole has already told him off for doing it.

Ace of Spades

Hopefully now that pressure of not scoring for a while is gone, he can play with a bit of freedom and calmness. I think he was feeling the pressure a bit of not scoring and it was affecting his game, this should give him some confidence back.

He still has played a ridiculous number of games for his first season at this level, I am confident that he will keep improving and while he may never be a top player, he will be a useful player in open games.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
It is not inconsistency due to him being young or inexperienced. Ole has publicly called him out against City when he repeatedly didn't pass and tried to score all by himself. Even today he did that. That is not inconsistency. That is being arrogant or stubborn. It is a team game and he needs to control himself and think of the team first. I am sure Ole has already told him off for doing it.
Or its a simple case of young player making wrong decisions. People forget that this is just his second season at professional level.

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
He’s doing really well. He has improved our team whether people see that or not. He’s still so young and he’s not had the schooling of being at a top club for long, he’s risen through so quickly it must be a proper ride for him and he’s handling it superbly.

Giving him a new contract was very smart. He probably won’t be first choice RW next season if there is a chance we get Sancho but DJ is a more than capable squad player that can play on the left or right when needed.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Not the lads fault. He should never have been an integral member of the squad this season.

His role should have been as a super sub in the last 20 minutes of matches to run at tired defences..

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
He is a good little player that needs to look before he crosses or shoot.

Usually the cross and shot is decent but there was no one there and/or is better options. He shouldn't play like a full back who tries to whip in crosses an Hope's someone's can latch on to it.

However- I don't think it's been an easy year for him. Multiple positions in multiple formation, consistently different players due to injuries in his 2nd professional season at a club like this and first at United?

I think he will do find here if he learns to just think before he acts on the ball.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Nice goal and as always his work rate and passion were top level. But his flaws are still there.
Did he ever managed to make good low cross/pass to player in the middle? Yesterday again it happened. He got perfect ball in space behind the defence and all he needed to do is to hit parallel cross or low pass to player in front of goal.
Also he will rarely try simple quick pass to player in good position. When he gets the ball, he puts his head down and starts running.

diawl_coch

James deserves time, and he's an useful player at squad level.

However, he plays in a position that's probably going to get upgraded by way of a marquee signing.

Art Vandelay

James deserves time, and he's an useful player at squad level.

However, he plays in a position that's probably going to get upgraded by way of a marquee signing.
Then he can get the time he should have had to develop off the bench and rotated in. Having to play almost every single week when he wasn't ready for it has done him no favours. I still believe he will end up being a good player for us given time.

Then he can get the time he should have had to develop off the bench and rotated in. Having to play almost every single week when he wasn't ready for it has done him no favours. I still believe he will end up being a good player for us given time.
disagree. Playing the number of games he’s done this season will be invaluable for his development. Ideally we wouldn’t have played him so much, but the alternatives were poor. This season will have done him wonders in the long run. Furthermore, he’s done well, not every week, but he’s contributed to our season.

Art Vandelay

He already is :) I get what you're saying of course.
disagree. Playing the number of games he’s done this season will be invaluable for his development. Ideally we wouldn’t have played him so much, but the alternatives were poor. This season will have done him wonders in the long run. Furthermore, he’s done well, not every week, but he’s contributed to our season.
He's been very up and down. When on form he's been great, we really needed the option to take him out of the team when his form dipped and he clearly needed a rest. I don't think playing him through that was ideal for him.

I'm happy with him so far, but think with more time and patience with him he will prove to be a very good signing. He just should have been pulled out of the team for a while when the form dipped and given time to develop. Maybe playing so much now will help him in the long run, but I don't think it helped him in the short term.

Foxbatt

Someone needs to give him a good spanking. He has a lot going for him apart from decision making. He needs to get his head up and pass when his team mates are in better positions. He should forget about his own scoring stats.

Stadjer

Just before the Spurs goal he tried a cross to a unmarked Rashford and it went very high over Rahford... a better cross and it would have been a goal.

James is quick.. that is all.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Hes just not good enough. Tries hard but prem player he is not.

God I really hope we sign Sancho this window.

Toni Roncoroni

Just before the Spurs goal he tried a cross to a unmarked Rashford and it went very high over Rahford... a better cross and it would have been a goal.

James is quick.. that is all.
Spot on. Frustrating to watch. He is a runner and runs a lot. But no quality with the ball and no stamina when in battles. Bit part role tops for him imo.

el3mel

Unfortunately not good enough for a starting position and I'm sure he and OIe knows that well. If we sign Sancho he'll return to the bench which is his place. For the moment I'll prefer playing Greenwood.

He's not totally useless but he's useful in certain situations but not as a starter.

Lynty

Come on lads, it obvious he's a squad player but we've got shit options otherwise.

I expect Greenwood has played him out the team tonight

edgecutter

He shouldn't have started and that's on the manager. Spurs are a deep defensive side and this isn't the game for James. I honestly felt sorry for him.

NJM78

I don't like to bash him but he is just not very good and doubt he ever will be. Looks very much a lower league player.

El Zoido

I like this kid but he’s not first team material. I don’t know how good he can get, but I get the feeling his ceiling isn’t that high. I’d use him as an impact sub against tired legs, never starting this kind of game.

Status
Not open for further replies.