Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
He really Just isn’t good enough. We used to talk about how attacks died on the right with Valencia but he just seems to have taken up the mantle of that. Whenever he and Bissaka try to link up something always goes pear shaped with it.
I don’t think it’s a coincidence either that Martial, Bissaka and Bruno all started to play better when he went off.

There was a moment in the game as well where Bruno plays a pass to him. Admittedly not a great pass but as soon as Bruno played it I said to myself no way is James controlling this. Martial, Rashford, Greenwood heck even Smalling would control it no bother but not James.

He always seems to be running the wrong way or moving away from where the pass is heading. He’s so damn frustrating. Can’t pass either, can’t beat a man and is an average crosser.
Exactly as I saw it tonight.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Its hard for me to really criticise him as I dont think he was ever meant to be first choice this season. This year shouldve been all about finding his feet, making some solid cameo appearances and cup games, and developing. Instead he has (apparently) played more minutes than any other non-defender for us.

I do think there is a place for him in the squad, and I think he can go on to become a good player for us, but he needs to be given time to develop, which unfortunately he has not had this season due to the lack of options in his position.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Young kid in his first season on PL at Manchester United.

As far as I’m concerned this year should have been a free bat for him. So long as it didn’t lose us games, he should be introduced gently and with kindness. But not his fault he is being used as a first XI player. Also now off the back of a 3 month lay off makes his season even more difficult.

Given his expected contribution I think he has done well. Think it will be after New Years when we see if he really has it, but he has time on his side.

Sancho will also need bedding in and that will take time. So two of them can rotate and winner keeps the slot until loss ofbform and swap. That can carry one until one emerges as top dog. Hopefully Sancho and then James plays no 2 or sold on at a profit. But I think best case is he becomes a competition move squad player and that’s fine.
Wow...Manchester United give out free passes to £20m signings now.

If we sign Sancho for £100m and he’s only good enough to possibly compete with James then someone needs shooting....that being said Sancho and James is no competition

Devil81

He really Just isn’t good enough. We used to talk about how attacks died on the right with Valencia but he just seems to have taken up the mantle of that. Whenever he and Bissaka try to link up something always goes pear shaped with it.
I don’t think it’s a coincidence either that Martial, Bissaka and Bruno all started to play better when he went off.

There was a moment in the game as well where Bruno plays a pass to him. Admittedly not a great pass but as soon as Bruno played it I said to myself no way is James controlling this. Martial, Rashford, Greenwood heck even Smalling would control it no bother but not James.

He always seems to be running the wrong way or moving away from where the pass is heading. He’s so damn frustrating. Can’t pass either, can’t beat a man and is an average crosser.
Yeah I noticed on a few occasions players reluctant to play a ball into him, Rashford choose a difficult ball into Fernandes rather than an easy ball down the line to James as I'm certain he knew nothing would come of it.

You are right though he's not good enough for the level we wish to be at, I actually don't see him starting for about 80% of the teams in the league so I don't know how they can justify picking him over the potential of Greenwood anymore.

GlasgowCeltic

Its hard for me to really criticise him as I dont think he was ever meant to be first choice this season. This year shouldve been all about finding his feet, making some solid cameo appearances and cup games, and developing. Instead he has (apparently) played more minutes than any other non-defender for us.

I do think there is a place for him in the squad, and I think he can go on to become a good player for us, but he needs to be given time to develop, which unfortunately he has not had this season due to the lack of options in his position.
Who was meant to be first choice on the right though. Before him Lingard was the regular on that side, presumably James was bought to play football matches

Web of Bissaka

Can we move him back to LW please. His best form and performances were him there.

His specialty is having both option either to run down the touchline or cutting in when running against defenders, needs both option, can only be at LW where he can fully utilise his agile speed.

Can't do that on the RW, only options there are running down the touchline (predicted by defenders) or crossings (which he's not actually good at).

Beaucoup

Can we move him back to LW please. His best form and performances were him there.

His specialty is having both option either to run down the touchline or cutting in when running against defenders, needs both option, can only be at LW where he can fully utilise his agile speed.

Can't do that on the RW, only options there are running down the touchline (predicted by defenders) or crossings (which he's not actually good at).
Never mind the Left wing, we need to move him back to the championship.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Had an absolute mare last night. Needs to stop playing on the right for the sake of his career.
Agreed. Greenwood is a better option who provides a lot more quality and is a far bigger goal threat.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Who was meant to be first choice on the right though. Before him Lingard was the regular on that side, presumably James was bought to play football matches
I dont really know. But a £15m signing from the Championship isn't someone I would expect to just walk straight into a Manchester United first team. I think James has done well this season, by nature of the simple fact that he has ended up playing so much.

The right wing has obviously been an issue in our squad for a while, but I dont think James was meant to be the solution - not in the short term anyway.

AshRK

Well he’s 23 this year so he’s impressed me on how he’s aged so fast. I don’t What minutes he should have played he’s not a 17 year old lad we are developing. How about we just brought a winger ready to play considering we knew we didn’t have a right winger. It was a friendship signing ‘again’.
But it was a known fact that we were not signing a 17 year old raw kid but a 21 year old raw kid. It was also a known that expecting him to be our first choice winger will backfire eventually. The point I was making in my original post is why are people acting surprised by his returns or even his performance. If you had said before the season began he would end up scoring 4 goals in all competition and 6 assists in PL, I would have said fine. Not amazing but no way pathetic but if you had said he would be our primary choice in the wings I would have worried.

Like you said we need to buy a right winger for everyone's good.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
It was stupid transfer from the start. 15 mil for limited player while we have Greenwood, Chong and even Dalot on that position.
Time can't make a player from limited player. He is not a big club quality and never will be. All these minutes that he got we could have give to Mason at first place and Chong and Dalot. Or even keep Alexis (we are paying him anyway).

And all this talk about his pace; he barely use it in most matches (because he doesn't have skill to dribble his marker) and even when he does use it he can't do decent pass or cross. So what is his use in this team? To mark his full back in defence? Great, lets sell him to Jose for 20 mil

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
That right wing has been issue for years now, about time the club address it with an actual right-winger who has class.

While James is a lot better on the left, my biggest issue with him is that he never looks in control. Not sure if the start here was just form and the boost from the move or it's something he can produce more often.

Skills

Snitch
I think he would've been better had Pogba started the game.

That right side is bereft of any creativity with McTominay and AWB being the other two players occupying it.

He'sRaldo

He has too much of a limiting factor on the team. Players like AWB, Martial, Bruno, and the right sided CM all are affected by his play down the right. So far the only partnership I've seen have any promise is crossing to Rashford, which doesn't really come off most of the time.

He can't be starting anymore and affecting the team so drastically. He needs to come off the bench for tired legs from now on.

He'sRaldo

That said, I think he's much better on the left, and have said so from the start. I even said a while back that if only he was left footed, he would be able to fill that right spot easily. This whole playing him on the right to protect Greenwood is messing him up IMO, and Greenwood seems to be just about ready to have the minutes he's having on that side.

Play him as rotation for Rashford so none of our forwards get burnt out. Don't play him on the right and totally mess up his career by turning him into a bonafide pace merchant.

SweetRightFoot

Was the wrong game for him.

Baffling pick against a Mourinho defense, they were always gunna sit back.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
I'm not going to be critical of a player who's in their first season at the club. Some players click right away, some don't. If you've been following United for long enough you know this.

That said I agree with @He'sRaldo ; James shouldn't start again this season and only be used as a sub.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I think he would've been better had Pogba started the game.

That right side is bereft of any creativity with McTominay and AWB being the other two players occupying it.
Good point. We’ve been so reliant on the left side for so long — as much as I’m unsure on Shaw (heh) him, plus Pogba, and normally Martial/Rashford is just so, so much stronger than whatever we’ve had on the right for the past god knows how many years.

Bit worrying though as £75m was spent on it last summer...

RedTiger

Half mast
Never mind the Left wing, we need to move him back to the championship.
Come on mate :lol:

James has a very good high end skill but it's a skill that can only be utilised sparingly and in certain conditions. Playing him on either wing against a sitting team is futile, but having him on the bench to bring on against tired legs or playing off the left against dominating possession sides is ok.

Rolaholic

He's not good enough at the moment.

That's not to say that he can't be an asset for us in certain situations, his stats compare quite favorably to the likes of other wingers in his age-range like Hudson-Odoi and Pepe, but he really has no place starting for a top club like United most days.

Getting a certified starter at that position and having James on the bench as an impact sub would be quite nice.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I'm with the vast majority now; bring him on as an impact sub against tired opposition but Mason should be starting on the right in our best XI.

Foxbatt

I really do not think it helps him when he is put on the spot like that. As others have said he should be on the bench and come on when he need pace. He is not going to get behind defences that do not leave pace.
Yesterday's issue to me was not simply James. It was the team selection. Ole should have started with Odion and Rashford and Martial. Now should we shift Martial to the left wing? No but Martial can drop deep while Odion stays up top. Odion will also contest any ball that goes up while Martial does not do so. Martial is best when running at defence while James only has pace. He should be taught how to cross the ball.

Mainoldo

But it was a known fact that we were not signing a 17 year old raw kid but a 21 year old raw kid. It was also a known that expecting him to be our first choice winger will backfire eventually. The point I was making in my original post is why are people acting surprised by his returns or even his performance. If you had said before the season began he would end up scoring 4 goals in all competition and 6 assists in PL, I would have said fine. Not amazing but no way pathetic but if you had said he would be our primary choice in the wings I would have worried.

Like you said we need to buy a right winger for everyone's good.
Why the hell did we need to spend £20m on a back up? Who does that.. He's 22, he'll never be better than what he currently is, the signing makes as much sense as Bebe (Giggs must have got a cut).

Dick Dastardly

Supports
Wrexham
I’ve never understood the hype over James. He runs fast but has the skill set of a lower league player. A loan to Derby (or similar) is his best option.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
I’ve never understood the hype over James. He runs fast but has the skill set of a lower league player. A loan to Derby (or similar) is his best option.
Think there are some games that are suited to him. Look at his performances vs City and Liverpool - the teams that don't sit back. He does look bad in games where the opposition parks the bus Jose-style.

Mindhunter

I think we need to give him a break from all the criticism here and Solksjaer needs to put him on the bench. IMO he thinks that James provides more structure and balance than someone like Greenwood who takes more risks. That's why Greenwood always comes in late to confront a tired defense.

Let's not forget though that he is still young and had his first season with the club curtailed due to the virus. Also, as someone pointed out earlier, playing him against a Mourinho defense would have never been effective as he wouldn't have any space behind the defense to run into.

He'sRaldo

Spot on. He's too predictable without that 2nd option. Really not his fault, IMO not as limited as has been made out to be.

Eddy_JukeZ

Having to watch this guy play has to be karma for the all the times old Trafford boo’d or groaned at Nani
Oof if we had a prime Nani on the right now :drool:

Still think he's underrated by our fans in general. He should have won the PFA Player of the Year in 2011.

Gerald G

I think he has his uses, but matches like yesterday where the opposition sit back and defend, are not suited to his skillset. As others have mentioned, he's much better on the left as he can do more than one thing. He really shouldn't be playing this much but our lack of options on the right have led to this situation. Greenwood needs to be taking more minutes from him. If Lingard wasn't so crap he would also be taking more minutes from him. If you remember we started the season with Pereira/Lingard playing there, but their dire form has led to them being dropped out.
It's imperative we sign a RW next season and utilise James as a bench option.

Svartzonker

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2022/23
Another thing that is annoying with him is that when he actually beats his man on the wing and gets into putting a cross in the box, he always does it. Just for the sake of it. It does not matter if he has a team mate in the box or not, he will cross the ball. Not even trying to create something else.

AaronRedDevil

Another thing that is annoying with him is that when he actually beats his man on the wing and gets into putting a cross in the box, he always does it. Just for the sake of it. It does not matter if he has a team mate in the box or not, he will cross the ball. Not even trying to create something else.
He’s like Valencia at this point. But he can easily be better. Needs to adapt better and not focused on being a speed merchant.

TsuWave

Oof if we had a prime Nani on the right now :drool:

Still think he's underrated by our fans in general. He should have won the PFA Player of the Year in 2011.
Nani was a baller. Would legitimately be one of our best players right now.

Walters_19_MuFc

He is a limited player but he has his uses, and has displayed that throughout the season. Unfortunately, the way Spurs set up meant that his inability to switch up his game was heavily exposed.

Going forward, I'd bring him on as an impact sub or possibly play him against teams that dominate the ball, thus trying to hit on the counter.

Also want to add that he's clearly better on the left side.

ghagua

James needs to learn some technical skills to get past a player and not just rely on speed. Also staying on his feet would be a great start as well. He seems to be falling over all the time. Better invest in some good grips for his boot.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I dont really see why we can just afford to give up a substitute place for a player who has speed and uses primarily that to beat his players.

Martial, Sancho, Grealish are already better on the LW than him so as soon as we buy one of the last two - to me this guy is redundant.

A gamble that didnt work out.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent

So we have a winger who is not goalscorer and because of it cutting inside is not useful but has also a bad cross. On top of that he doesn't have tecnique or dribble to create something. Man, we have a gem in him.
Reminds me on one meme which i got on my cell. Picture of football player and above picture is text : "he doesn't have technique but he is slow though".

Last edited:

Kag

He was poor on Friday but I like him having him around the club. I actually think he’s being managed a little poorly by Ole and the coaching team. I’m not for one second suggesting that he should be void of any expectation (so don’t try that one) but he’s probably played too regularly and plays minutes in line with what you would consider to be a non-negotiable first team player. The problem is that he isn’t one of those players. He’s not a Maguire, Pogba, Fernandes or Rashford, but he’s playing as many minutes as you would expect them to.

I guess it wasn’t part of the plan to play him so often; a combination between a good start to life and lack of options elsewhere. But I think he needs a bit of time out of the limelight. Greenwood and Mata are probably more appropriate for the upcoming teams we are going to play and there will be certainly be use for James coming on against tired legs in games in which (you’d hope) we’re already ahead. Ole would do well to give him a break, otherwise his form will just go down the drain.

Status
Not open for further replies.