5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed9

I still think he'll come good. It's his first season in the Prem and he's shown glimpses. Next season he'll kick off.

Mainoldo

Dan James is only 22, where was Mo Salah at that age, on loan to Fiorentina after flopping in the Prem, nobody rated him, I'm not going to completely right him off yet, still has clearly much to learn but if we can get in another quality option up front then loan him to Italy/Germany and he might come good yet.
Maybe go google Salah at Basel. Dan James is just a lucky guy to have backing from Ryan Giggs. Thank goodness he didn’t take up Carrick’s suggestion on Longstaff and bloody start listen to these scouts we pay a lot of money on.

United Hobbit

I think like others have said he is trying almost too hard. I'd almost say similar to Rashy since he's come back from his injury, however Rashy is contributing in other ways despite not getting his goal. Please don't think I'm knocking Rashy or saying he's the same level as Dan James im not obviously we know he is better and he was great before his injury and is bound to be rusty and like I've said he is contributing to the team in other ways

Like others have said I'd like to see Dan James work on the other sides to his game for example getting assists. If he is low on confidence that will help as he is helping the team in other ways. Those shots against Brighton, it was lucky we were 3-0 up at the time as it was wasteful whereas at least one of them if he'd tried to assist he could have set up a goal for someone else. Would have been annoying if we were losing or drawing at the time. Hopefully Ole keeps him as a sub and brings him on in these sorts of games where it doesn't matter so much if he struggles he can Hopefully quietly try and play his way back to some form. However we still need to build our goal difference so we can't keep allowing him to waste too many chances.
Its almost a shame there are no reserve games as he could do with a couple of games in that. Not as a punishment but there would be far less spotlight on him and he could Hopefully get some confidence back out of the spotlight.

I just hope Ole and coaches are showing him the videos of his games and trying to help him learn from them. Eg show him where he was shooting against Brighton and ask him about the other options he had instead as there were players better placed who were available. If he isn't being given feedback he won't learn.

It also shows just how good Greenwood is hopefully going to be as there was such a drop down and that wasn't even the position Greenwood has most experience in. But again not only did he get his goal he got his assist, something I'd like to see James prioritising at the moment especially now we have so many players available to Hopefully make use of them- he was creating some good chances at the start of the season but no one there to take them on, now we have them available he could contribute to the team a lot in that way then later we look at the goals. It would also help his confidence as he would be making a very valuable contribution to the team

Mcking

Why? Is Sancho going to play all the games next season?
We'd have Martial, Rashford, Greenwood, Sancho, Ighalo and James who would most likely be sixth choice. Whether he leaves or stays would be insignificant I reckon.

Why? Is Sancho going to play all the games next season?
Greenwood and Sancho will be ahead of James.
Rashford is also being played on the flanks too.

He might feel his career stalling being 3rd choice and want a loan to a premier league club to develop more and show what he can do with more game time.

Based Adnan

Second season of senior football and first season at this level. Some of the criticism is extremely harsh. If we had a balanced squad we could have eased him in more smoothly but we don't so he's had to play a lot more than he probably should. He's shown enough this season for me to think there's something there.

TheReligion

Abusive
Some very short sighted people here. James is a young lad who only recently lost his father. I'm sure that devestated him and his family. He's clearly a confidence player and given its his first season in the PL at a big team is it any wonder he's been a mixed bag? His performances at the start of the season really helped us out and showed the raw talent he has. Give him a break.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Bring in Grealish and Sancho, actually have Pogba all season and the quality levels rocket up.

That will help James, not hinder him, and he'll have a better chance of developing playing fewer games for a good team, then being over used in the weaker team.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Some very short sighted people here. James is a young lad who only recently lost his father. I'm sure that devestated him and his family. He's clearly a confidence player and given its his first season in the PL at a big team is it any wonder he's been a mixed bag? His performances at the start of the season really helped us out and showed the raw talent he has. Give him a break.
Yep, we truly do have some dreadful fans.
I spotted one clown calling him a "tragic footballer" earlier!

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

He might feel his career stalling being 3rd choice and want a loan to a premier league club to develop more and show what he can do with more game time.
Probably being second choice LW will suit him best as he isn't really a good fit for RW anyway

Beaucoup

[/QUOTE

People are calling him out for not being very good, because he’s not very good.

SuperiorXI

One thing that is really common with young players that have just joined the Senior team is major peaks and troughs. I'm not worried about Dan James, he'll make it or he won't, we'll see what happens. For now I'm glad we have him and I'm excited to see how he can develop. He's definitely not an issue.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Agree with this - he's a great squad player and a brilliant option to have off the bench.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

Lingard & Pereira got plenty of games this season. With Sancho come in to take his spot, James will take Lingard's spot. He'll get plenty of games and we need him since he can offer something different for the squad. People are moaning about depth squad, signing Sancho is pretty much upgrading both our starting XI & the quality in depth squad.

Bwuk

We’ll be selling Lingard and Andreas if we can anyway if we sign Sancho so it’s 2 out 1 in, I wouldn’t worry to much about his minutes.

jamesjimmybyrondean

Nobody rates him in the Grealish thread :lol: . The way they always talk about Grealish being cover for LW like we don't have one already.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Did exactly what he had to. Won some corners and free kicks for Bruno and Pogba.

Decent stuff.

edcunited1878

He has better close control in small spaces, especially when he's inside, than people give him credit for. Made some good crosses as well. He's a good squad player and has been good this year while knowing what he needs to improve on. Right mentality and attitude as well.

NinjaFletch

What are people's expectations for him?

I've been wrong before, but I just feel he's got a United career watching the likes of Greenwood rack up minutes before moving to Everton for £25m

el3mel

What are people's expectations for him?

I've been wrong before, but I just feel he's got a United career watching the likes of Greenwood rack up minutes before moving to Everton for £25m
He'll never be a starter here. A squad player at best and I think he'll be fine with this role anyway.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
He played well today and I am one of his biggest critic. He kept the ball moving and made some good runs. Low on confidence right now but this was positive response

criticalanalysis

He has better close control in small spaces, especially when he's inside, than people give him credit for. Made some good crosses as well. He's a good squad player and has been good this year while knowing what he needs to improve on. Right mentality and attitude as well.
Yes was a little surprised with his touch in the tight spaces with those half turns and shoulder drops. It's day and night performances when he plays on the left.

DeGea

He has had an okay first season. There are lots of areas to improve on - he needs to build up his physique, he is a Kagawa waiting to happen, all the skills but no strength, shooting needs to improve as he has not scored enough, decision making also needs to improve as he still makes wrong decisions at critical moments i.e. decides to shoot rather than lay it off for a team mate in a better position.

edcunited1878

Yes was a little surprised with his touch in the tight spaces with those half turns and shoulder drops. It's day and night performances when he plays on the left.
Didn't he play left side most of the time in the Championship? Again, he's been asked to shoulder the burden a lot more than he and anyone else thought and from the right side in the PL.

He uses his body frame and lower center of gravity well.

criticalanalysis

He has had an okay first season. There are lots of areas to improve on - he needs to build up his physique, he is a Kagawa waiting to happen, all the skills but no strength, shooting needs to improve as he has not scored enough, decision making also needs to improve as he still makes wrong decisions at critical moments i.e. decides to shoot rather than lay it off for a team mate in a better position.
He's got a very good physique for his build. He's not getting bullied on or off the ball at all. His problem as you've mentioned is decision making and probably being left out to dry by playing on the right/being low on confidence.

When he loses the ball, it's because he's trying too much or making the wrong decision but otherwise his base skillset and physical attributes are quite good imo.

Didn't he play left side most of the time in the Championship? Again, he's been asked to shoulder the burden a lot more than he and anyone else thought and from the right side in the PL.

He uses his body frame and lower center of gravity well.
Don't know, never watch the Championship haha but agree he is being asked to do a lot. Hopefully our current performances continue, so he can come on in games with less pressure. Or we can afford to rest Rashford and start him on the left with your Brunos/Pogbas still in the first team and hope he can play off their creativity.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
He looks far more threatening on the left coming off the bench against tired defenses.
When? He had 2 situations when he was isolated with defender on the edge of the box. He didn't even try to attack that space/player. Manchester United attacker must go for it in these situations. That separates big club attacker from others. Like Rash, Martial and Greenwood do.
All that pace but plays like Lingard...

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
He's so bad it's painful to watch. When Ole said in the press conference after the game that it's hard to drop him and he deserves to play, i nearly dropped my phone. It was a punt gone wrong, seems a nice enough kid but never a united player.

Le Red

What I saw too. He came on against tired legs and didn't really do anything of note.
You see what you want to see I guess.
In a few minutes he made a sweet play that he could have scored if Rashford's cross wasn't off the mark.
Also pulled a great cross, and Rashford again made a mess out of it (oh boy if it was the other way around...)
And there was a ball he got ahead the defender but the cover got there in time to avoid the goal.
Suffered a foul in the edge of the box that PP nearly scored from.
Plenty of threat in 10+ minutes.
Maybe next time you won't let your bias make you blind to his contributions to the team.

He's so bad it's painful to watch. When Ole said in the press conference after the game that it's hard to drop him and he deserves to play, i nearly dropped my phone. It was a punt gone wrong, seems a nice enough kid but never a united player.
I guess you didn’t actually watch his cameo off the bench against Bournemouth, then.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
He is not good enough to start but can be a squad player for us. Doesn't really start every game but can be a good counter attacking option in big games.

bryant_s

Here I thought fans will finally learn from Fred's case not too quick to write someone off on his 1st season. As if "injury", "rotation", and "development" never exist..

Currently, he's not good enough YET, but he's only 22 and still has a lot of room to improve. It's almost illegal to put CR7 as development benchmark, you know? Everyone has their own pace to develop.

RedWat

Here I thought fans will finally learn from Fred's case not too quick to write someone off on his 1st season. As if "injury", "rotation", and "development" never exist..

Currently, he's not good enough YET, but he's only 22 and still has a lot of room to improve. It's almost illegal to put CR7 as development benchmark, you know? Everyone has their own pace to develop.
I agree, if we play him in the right way say him coming on for the last 20-30 mins he will grow in confidence

Status
Not open for further replies.