5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

SAFMUTD

This is where I actually don’t understand about you as well. You are so inconsistent about this. If James isn’t good enough for outside top 10 team then surely this is where you shouldn’t ignore the credit how before Bruno came Ole managed to make us stay alive in top 4 run and was in 6th and 5th for long time with James as his starter (who you called him not good enough for outside top 10). Imagine what Ole is capable of with better players than Daniel James.

You are well aware how you used those players to suit your argument when in reality we are all know James is capable to play RW & LW not just one position. Even some of the player you named didn’t play as their winger.
You are mixing a lot of arguments here, I dont know why you got Ole into the argument and totally deviated from the James point.

James is nominally a Left Winger thats why I compared him to left wingers, anyway tell me in what team would he start either as left or right winger? Is easy to throw it it like that "he would start at any team below top 8" but when looking closely at the teams you will realize they all have quality, not top quality of course but good players most of them way better than James.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
The feck? Why his price has been doubled in a year when he was pretty poor (and not including the coronavirus which makes clubs willingly to spend less)?
Solanke did nothing cost 19m. James scored 3 goals & 6 assists in the league, why can’t he go much higher than that?

Revan

Assumptionman
Solanke did nothing cost 19m. James scored 3 goals & 6 assists in the league, why can’t he go much higher than that?
Because I don't think a player as bad as James has ever gone for anything close to 40m. And because why would someone pay twice as much as we did, that happens if the player impresses, not disappoint.

We might get 15-20m from him considering his age.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
You are mixing a lot of arguments here, I dont know why you got Ole into the argument and totally deviated from the James point.
Because I want to see your honest opinion rather than you are being inconsistent to suit your argument.

You are on Ole out and believed Ole should be doing much better with the players we got. That means you really did believe our players are good enough which including Daniel James.

And now because you are having argument with me about James, you decided to be inconsistent to suit your argument by saying James isn’t good enough.

James is nominally a Left Winger thats why I compared him to left wingers, anyway tell me in what team would he start either as left or right winger? Is easy to throw it it like that "he would start at any team below top 8" but when looking closely at the teams you will realize they all have quality, not top quality of course but good players most of them way better than James.
James would start over Bernard & Iwobi at Everton.
James would start over Mooy & Pascal Groß at Brighton
James would start over Matt Ritchie at Newcastle
James would start over Fornals at West Ham
James would start over Trezeguet at Aston Villa
James would start over Redmond / Armstrong at Southampton
James would start over Hendrick at Burnley.

It’s easy to just name one player when you look at closely there are the other one who doesn’t offer much quality in their team. Never mind left winger, some of the names you mentioned aren’t even left winger.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Because I don't think a player as bad as James has ever gone for anything close to 40m. And because why would someone pay twice as much as we did, that happens if the player impresses, not disappoint.

We might get 15-20m from him considering his age.
You telling me Solanke cost 19m but James who scored more goals & assists in the league than Solanke who had more than three seasons in PL cost the same? Iwobi who had the same contribution as James cost close to 40m.

SAFMUTD

Because I want to see your honest opinion rather than you are being inconsistent to suit your argument.

You are on Ole out and believed Ole should be doing much better with the players we got. That means you really did believe our players are good enough which including Daniel James.

And now because you are having argument with me about James, you decided to be inconsistent to suit your argument by saying James isn’t good enough.

James would start over Bernard & Iwobi at Everton.
James would start over Mooy & Pascal Groß at Brighton
James would start over Matt Ritchie at Newcastle
James would start over Fornals at West Ham
James would start over Trezeguet at Aston Villa
James would start over Redmond / Armstrong at Southampton
James would start over Hendrick at Burnley.

It’s easy to just name one player when you look at closely there are the other one who doesn’t offer much quality in their team. Never mind left winger, some of the names you mentioned aren’t even left winger.
Yes Im Ole out and I think a better manager would have done better with the current squad, but its not because freaking Daniel James. Thats as simplistic as it can be.

Now regarding the teams I agree with Brighton, Newcastle, Aston Villa and Burnley. By agree I mean he will be able to challenge for the starting place, not saying he will be nailed there.

Anyway you said below top 8-10, and just mentioned 7 teams, so my point stands we may disagree if he would challenge in 4 or 7 teams, but I think we can agree now that he wouldnt challenge on any team below top 8-10.

In Rainbows

Think Solanke still had the hype of his youth goal scoring record, combined with some unknown factor as he had yet to fail in the Championship. Look at Kane's record in the PL at age 20. In other words, people aren't as harsh on young goal scorers who aren't lighting up the PL. If they go down a level to the Championship and fail there too, then people will be far more skeptical.

Solanke or rather Liverpool were a bit lucky in that respect.

Another example is Tammy Abraham in the Championship vs the PL. There is a big drop off for the PL goal scoring record despite having a great record in the Championship. Now obviously he wasn't sold, but the point is that Solanke had no evidence of failure beyond the PL level failures at a really young age. Thus you can still have this false sense of hope for Solanke.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Yes Im Ole out and I think a better manager would have done better with the current squad, but its not because freaking Daniel James. Thats as simplistic as it can be.
Given that Greenwood wasn’t ready to start week in week out before the lockdown & Martial had 3 months injuries with Pogba being injured in more than half of the season. Ole had to start & had to rely on a player as caliber as Daniel James aka not good enough for outside top 10 team according to you, and yet he was able to make our team in 5th or 6th spot at that time. Isn’t it big positive how he was able to do that? Unless if you think James is top 10 team quality then I understand your point that any better manager would have done better.

Now regarding the teams I agree with Brighton, Newcastle, Aston Villa and Burnley. By agree I mean he will be able to challenge for the starting place, not saying he will be nailed there.

Anyway you said below top 8-10, and just mentioned 7 teams, so my point stands we may disagree if he would challenge in 4 or 7 teams, but I think we can agree now that he wouldnt challenge on any team below top 8-10.
You kidding right? Matt Ritchie is on his 30 right now, if anything James would have bought to start. Iwobi has been shocking with only 1 goal contribution in a season. What Hendricks, Trezeguet & the other two Brighton wingers had done?

I think you need to give me some solid reasons what they did or do to make you think that James wouldn’t be favourite to start over them? It’s easy to just talk to suit your argument but in reality when you look at what they have done doesn’t really indicate James wouldn’t be the favourite to start.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Think Solanke still had the hype of his youth goal scoring record, combined with some unknown factor as he had yet to fail in the Championship. Look at Kane's record in the PL at age 20. In other words, people aren't as harsh on young goal scorers who aren't lighting up the PL. If they go down a level to the Championship and fail there too, then people will be far more skeptical.

Solanke or rather Liverpool were a bit lucky in that respect.

Another example is Tammy Abraham in the Championship vs the PL. There is a big drop off for the PL goal scoring record despite having a great record in the Championship. Now obviously he wasn't sold, but the point is that Solanke had no evidence of failure beyond the PL level failures at a really young age. Thus you can still have this false sense of hope for Solanke.
What about Iwobi who cost almost 40m but did pretty much the same in his average season as James?

Last edited:

Loon

:lol:
I guess Giggs saw Andrei Kanchelskis when he recommended him, but he doesn't have AK's directness or uncanny knack of smashing the ball into the keeper yet still managing to bury the rebound...

Morpheus 7

Needs a loan and to work on decision making, not good enough for United at the moment unfortunately. Forrest Gump just running at the moment.

Devil81

I'd rather we have Ryan Fraser in our squad than Daniel James, both small fast players but ultimately Fraser has proven previously he can be a productive player.

James has shown nothing other than brainless pace.

red4ever 79

I guess Giggs saw Andrei Kanchelskis when he recommended him, but he doesn't have AK's directness or uncanny knack of smashing the ball into the keeper yet still managing to bury the rebound...
I take it you didnt actually watch much of Kanchelskis. He was actually a superb winger who could score goals, cross the ball. Shame the Russian mafia got involved in his contract negotiations otherwise he would have had a longer career there.

Born2Lose

Can never understand the hatred for this kid.

Dan James - 3 Goals and 6 assists.
Pereira + Lingard + Mata - 2 Goals and 5 assists.

What's he on £25k, Pereira something similar. I've read Lingard's on £100k and Mata on £150k. The more time I spend on this forum, the more I realise there could be far worse than Woodward running the club.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
To be fair 28m or 40m....it’s still a lot of money to spend on a shit player. Shocking signing.
I'm not talking about his ability though, it's just stupid to just make up transfer fees to suit your agenda.

28m rising to 34m from adds on that's almost 40m.
We've only paid 28m for him so far. Those add-ons may never be reached. It's closer to 30m than 40m if you include the add-ons so you've just plucked a fee from your head to make it sound worse.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
We've only paid 28m for him so far. Those add-ons may never be reached. It's closer to 30m than 40m if you include the add-ons so you've just plucked a fee from your head to make it sound worse.
What's the add-ons then?

It doesn't change the point that if Iwobi can cost 28m plus adds on to 34m then James can also cost around the same. However, if it makes you feel better for me to not say closed to 40m then I'll just say "around 30m" next time.

Last edited:

L1nk

People were fooled by his good start for us. The reality is, when the transfer was announced, everybody who had been watching James consistently up until this point, both spectators and people in football, said he wasn't ready to be a first team regular, that he needed more development, people really shouldn't be shocked that he doesn't look the part, the kid is raw as hell, and needs more work, so rather than get on his back for a transfer that wasn't his fault, lets see how he develops over the next couple of seasons.

Loon

:lol:
I take it you didnt actually watch much of Kanchelskis. He was actually a superb winger who could score goals, cross the ball. Shame the Russian mafia got involved in his contract negotiations otherwise he would have had a longer career there.
You take it incorrectly. I saw him in the flesh many times both home and away. Even for Everton against us at Goodison. T'was a wee joke.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
He was a weird signing in the first place. Wasn't he decent but not exactly great for Swansea? His assists/goals ratio in the Championship wasn't exactly good.

I'm not sure what the scouting team saw in him really, he has no standout features other than his pace. He can't even utilize it because he can't dribble for shite.

SAFMUTD

Given that Greenwood wasn’t ready to start week in week out before the lockdown & Martial had 3 months injuries with Pogba being injured in more than half of the season. Ole had to start & had to rely on a player as caliber as Daniel James aka not good enough for outside top 10 team according to you, and yet he was able to make our team in 5th or 6th spot at that time. Isn’t it big positive how he was able to do that? Unless if you think James is top 10 team quality then I understand your point that any better manager would have done better.
If the whole performance depended on Daniel James I would agree with you, but theres 11 players on the pitch. Your argument doesnt make sense, as I said you are way too simplistic by your logic is a single player is not good enough to be on the top 10 teams then surely the whole team cant be in the top 10.

So by your logic the team is only as good as their worst player? It doesnt work that way.

You kidding right? Matt Ritchie is on his 30 right now, if anything James would have bought to start. Iwobi has been shocking with only 1 goal contribution in a season. What Hendricks, Trezeguet & the other two Brighton wingers had done?

I think you need to give me some solid reasons what they did or do to make you think that James wouldn’t be favourite to start over them? It’s easy to just talk to suit your argument but in reality when you look at what they have done doesn’t really indicate James wouldn’t be the favourite to start.
Still youre deviating from the main point, even if all 7 teams you mentioned would have James as a starter that doesnt clicks with your argument about him being a starter on any team below top 8-10. That would make him below top 13 at best.

But for the sake of continuing the argument, first Matt Richie is not a starter in Newcastle nor he is a winger, he's more of a left back. He played only 4 games as a right winger and provided 1 assist and 1 goal. James would have to beat either Saint Maximin or Almiron for the LW or RW spot.

Regarding Iwobi, he's not a nailed starter as well, Everton switched between him, Bernard and Walcott the whole season. I dont even know what to say about Aston Villa and Brighton since I already agree with you that he had a chance in those but you want me to justify why?

Regarding James he had 3 goals and 6 assists in the league, he scored all his goals in the first 4 games. That means he hasnt scored in the league since late august. Furthermore he hasnt scored or assisted in the league since december. Thats 11 games started and 6 as a sub where he played and didnt scored or assist.

His numbers, without being great, are clearly affected by his august purple patch, after that he has been putting Lingard's numbers. Thats why I dont think he would be a favorite starter, he can fight the place in certain teams and ultimately nail a place in their starting XI, but as of today he wouldnt be a nailed starter anywhere.

Mickson

Can never understand the hatred for this kid.

Dan James - 3 Goals and 6 assists.
Pereira + Lingard + Mata - 2 Goals and 5 assists.

What's he on £25k, Pereira something similar. I've read Lingard's on £100k and Mata on £150k. The more time I spend on this forum, the more I realise there could be far worse than Woodward running the club.
I think he only scored 1 and made 1 assist after the new year. James has been really poor for the most part of his United career. That doesn't say that he can't improve though.

dev1l

He couldn't play that much in lower level, yet played more for us while not being very good... Is this supposed to put out the fire or add fuel to the fire?
He started well then he waned off. He s still raw. I prefer to wait till I open my mouth as some "shite" experts over here.
Posters having a go at young developing players are the lowest level of scum imo. Twitter is full of them but not only Twitter unfortunately

ti vu

He started well then he waned off. He s still raw. I prefer to wait till I open my mouth as some "shite" experts over here.
Posters having a go at young developing players are the lowest level of scum imo. Twitter is full of them but not only Twitter unfortunately
That's just the all the baggage playing for big clubs. There is a reason for some player choosing to go to less glamorous clubs to develop before joining a big name club. James chose to come. His responsibility to deal with it. No amount of defending would change how he performed this season.

If he was able to shut people up in the future, good for him. If he can't, he is just one of countless players who got a purple patch and eventually found out. They're forever in development phase. It's not the fault of the fans, those players fail.

dev1l

That's just the all the baggage playing for big clubs. There is a reason for some player choosing to go to less glamorous clubs to develop before joining a big name club. James chose to come. His responsibility to deal with it. No amount of defending would change how he performed this season.

If he was able to shut people up in the future, good for him. If he can't, he is just one of countless players who got a purple patch and eventually found out. They're forever in development phase. It's not the fault of the fans, those players fail.
So you are pretending that any player signing for United should be subject to abuse if he does not have a stellar season?
Cannot believe people go so far in order to defend Twitter scum

ti vu

So you are pretending that any player signing for United should be subject to abuse if he does not have a stellar season?
Cannot believe people go so far in order to defend Twitter scum
Stay off social media. Social media makes their money from reaction, emotion. Argue with them, then you can't prove James and whoever would just perform in the future, or disprove not so good season that trigger so called abuse. Whole thing is just chain reaction based on personal emotion and opinion.

You can't shut down social media platform, can you? You can call people scum, next those scum doing their things. Full circle.

Let time solve these problem.

dev1l

Stay off social media. Social media makes their money from reaction, emotion. Argue with them, then you can't prove James and whoever would just perform in the future, or disprove not so good season that trigger so called abuse. Whole thing is just chain reaction based on personal emotion and opinion.

You can't shut down social media platform, can you? You can call people scum, next those scum doing their things. Full circle.

Let time solve these problem.
No mate. Toxic fans should be called with their proper name

ti vu

No mate. Toxic fans should be called with their proper name
Then feel free to go responding to all those.

I's pretty sure you can't win the argument with them. It's always a lose-lose situation

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
If the whole performance depended on Daniel James I would agree with you, but theres 11 players on the pitch. Your argument doesnt make sense, as I said you are way too simplistic by your logic is a single player is not good enough to be on the top 10 teams then surely the whole team cant be in the top 10.

So by your logic the team is only as good as their worst player? It doesnt work that way.
A single player? Are you forgetting something? Daniel James, Pereira, Lingard & Mata. These are the players he had to rely on during the absence of Martial, Pogba & Greenwood being not ready for regular in the first half of the season. Pereira, Lingard, Mata did worse than James this season means by your logic they are also not good enough for PL team. It wasn't just one player!! See how inconsistent your view is just to suit your argument.

Still youre deviating from the main point, even if all 7 teams you mentioned would have James as a starter that doesnt clicks with your argument about him being a starter on any team below top 8-10. That would make him below top 13 at best.
Southampton is 11th, Burnley is 10th, Everton is 12th. Those three aren't below top 13, what are you on about mate?

But for the sake of continuing the argument, first Matt Richie is not a starter in Newcastle nor he is a winger, he's more of a left back. He played only 4 games as a right winger and provided 1 assist and 1 goal. James would have to beat either Saint Maximin or Almiron for the LW or RW spot.
It doesn't change the fact James will still be favourite to start over Almiron, you could at least not ignoring that.

Regarding Iwobi, he's not a nailed starter as well, Everton switched between him, Bernard and Walcott the whole season. I dont even know what to say about Aston Villa and Brighton since I already agree with you that he had a chance in those but you want me to justify why?

Regarding James he had 3 goals and 6 assists in the league, he scored all his goals in the first 4 games. That means he hasnt scored in the league since late august. Furthermore he hasnt scored or assisted in the league since december. Thats 11 games started and 6 as a sub where he played and didnt scored or assist.

His numbers, without being great, are clearly affected by his august purple patch, after that he has been putting Lingard's numbers. Thats why I dont think he would be a favorite starter, he can fight the place in certain teams and ultimately nail a place in their starting XI, but as of today he wouldnt be a nailed starter anywhere.
James produced more total goals & assists than those players especially Everton, Southampton & Burnley wingers, it has zero sense to not be favourite to start over them. That's why I asked you to give me some solid reasons what they did or do to make you think that James wouldn’t be favourite to start over them. But you ignored them to suit your argument, they performed worse than James.

SAFMUTD

A single player? Are you forgetting something? Daniel James, Pereira, Lingard & Mata. These are the players he had to rely on during the absence of Martial, Pogba & Greenwood being not ready for regular in the first half of the season. Pereira, Lingard, Mata did worse than James this season means by your logic they are also not good enough for PL team. It wasn't just one player!! See how inconsistent your view is just to suit your argument.
Suit what argument mate? You are the one whos mixing arguments, if you want to discuss Ole we can glady do it on the corresponding thread. Please keep this one to James.

Southampton is 11th, Burnley is 10th, Everton is 12th. Those three aren't below top 13, what are you on about mate?

It doesn't change the fact James will still be favourite to start over Almiron, you could at least not ignoring that.
You said on any below top 8-10 team, saying he could start, while debatable, on teams that are 10th, 11th and 13th doesnt change the fact that he wouldnt starts in teams that were relegated. You said it as if he was good enough for any team below top 8-10, which he clearly is not.

James produced more total goals & assists than those players especially Everton, Southampton & Burnley wingers, it has zero sense to not be favourite to start over them. That's why I asked you to give me some solid reasons what they did or do to make you think that James wouldn’t be favourite to start over them. But you ignored them to suit your argument, they performed worse than James.
I dont know what else to tell you mate, if all the details about James not scoring in almost a year now and not assisting since december are not solid reasons I dont know what else to tell you.

Godfather

Man every time this thread gets bumped for absolutely no reason I hope we've found a club to loan him out to

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Suit what argument mate? You are the one whos mixing arguments, if you want to discuss Ole we can glady do it on the corresponding thread. Please keep this one to James.
It's not about mixing arguments, it's about your inconsistent view about the player.

When speak about Ole's argument, you believed his players like Daniel James and the other three are good enough but when we speak about the player Daniel James, you believe he's not good enough for even outside top 10 team quality. So which one is it?

You said on any below top 8-10 team, saying he could start, while debatable, on teams that are 10th, 11th and 13th doesnt change the fact that he wouldnt starts in teams that were relegated. You said it as if he was good enough for any team below top 8-10, which he clearly is not.
Clearly he is. There are literary 9 teams out 11 in the bottom teams that James will be favourite to start as their players did worse than him this season. Only Cantwell who is debatable as his total goals & assist contribution is 8 while James is 9, doesn't mean James cannot start over him. Only Watford's wingers Deulofeu & Sarr would be the favourite to start over him.

I dont know what else to tell you mate, if all the details about James not scoring in almost a year now and not assisting since december are not solid reasons I dont know what else to tell you.
I want you to give or tell me some solid reasons what their players did this season to make you think that James wouldn’t be favourite to start over those 9 or 10 teams and why he would be anything more than a squad player in those weaker sides? Stop telling me the reason why he's not good enough for United because that wasn't the argument you started.

Hey the below quote is what you said and what started it.
I completely disagree about him starting outside the top 10, I doubt he would be anything more than a squad player even in the weaker sides.

Status
Not open for further replies.