5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

RooneyLegend

The poor sod has never heard of lifting his head up. Seems to be one of these 'put it in a good area' type of crossers. So many times Martial was waiting in space for the cut back and he jaust wacked it across the goal.

ash_86

The poor sod has never heard of lifting his head up. Seems to be one of these 'put it in a good area' type of crossers. So many times Martial was waiting in space for the cut back and he jaust wacked it across the goal.
Go watch our goal third goal vs sheffield.

RUCK4444

In fairness I think he plays the cut back quite often compared to most wingers, I think the last one was against Sheffield where it led to an assist.

Im a fan of the cut back, imo it more often than not creates a clearer chance for the attacker.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I think you were referring to Mata.

ManchesterYoda

Needs to dribble his man more, a lot more. He only averages about 1 dribble a game. It was a poor showing from him but he was a lot better near the end. His pass to Rashford for the last goal was composed in that he waited to find the best option.
His dribbling is POOR. 16 successful dribbles out of 44. 36%. It's not the only thing he's bad at either. Yet you all seem to love him. :confused:

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
His dribbling is POOR. 16 successful dribbles out of 44. 36%. It's not the only thing he's bad at either. Yet you all seem to love him. :confused:
His dribbling isn't poot. He is fouled a lot which is not considered as successful dribble.

Alabaster Codify7

Apart from the first 3-4 games, he's been exactly what I expected. Graft, enthusiasm, mixed outputs. Which for a 20m winger form Swansea, is what we all should have expected. Good squad option for sure, extremely likeable too.

Classical Mechanic

His dribbling isn't poot. He is fouled a lot which is not considered as successful dribble.
Only a quick comparison but looking at the top 10 most fouled players in the league, he has the worst successful dribbles of all of them. Adama has almost 4 x as many successful dribbles as him! He's keeping company with the likes of Ayew and Snodgrass for numbers.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Only a quick comparison but looking at the top 10 most fouled players in the league, he has the worst successful dribbles of all of them. Adama has almost 4 x as many successful dribbles as him! He's keeping company with the likes of Ayew and Snodgrass for numbers.
I haven't checked in detail but any comparison with Adama is just waste of time. He is just in different league when it comes to dribbles, per 90 mins he was by far better than Hazard too IIRC.

I'm talking about James and why he doesn't complete many dribbles. Before he completes them he is fouled a lot, he should attempt even more dribbles though consider that's one of his strengths.

Edit: I'm not entirely sure on that stat, I'm just assuming that's the case. Whoscored haven't given the definition of what's unsuccessful dribble, they have given definition for successful dribble only.

Last edited:

Rinnegan240

I have a most fantastic idea. We have two other attackers? It won't kill them to split with one attacking the near post and the other positioned for the cutback :)

Classical Mechanic

I haven't checked in detail but any comparison with Adama is just waste of time. He is just in different league when it comes to dribbles, per 90 mins he was by far better than Hazard too IIRC.

I'm talking about James and why he doesn't complete many dribbles. Before he completes them he is fouled a lot, he should attempt even more dribbles though consider that's one of his strengths.
Adama isn't even the most extreme example, that would be Zaha. The likes of Maddison and Mcginn complete about 2.5x as many dribbles as him despite getting fouled slightly more. Among the players that get fouled a lot when compared to successful dribbles, his numbers are closest to Ayew and Adam Smith.

Dribbling is definitely something he needs to improve on.

Emrethis

Adama isn't even the most extreme example, that would be Zaha. The likes of Maddison and Mcginn complete about 2.5x as many dribbles as him despite getting fouled slightly more. Among the players that get fouled a lot when compared to successful dribbles, his numbers are closest to Ayew and Adam Smith.

Dribbling is definitely something he needs to improve on.
I wouldn't compare James stats with Maddison and McGinn because they play different positions. I think his dribbling is fine, most of the time when he takes on his man, either he gets past him or gets fouled. I rarely ever see him lose the ball in a dribble and that's very often overlooked. We also have to take into account that he's playing on the right which is not his favoured position. However, I do agree that he could improve on his dribbling and I think that he should take players on more often.

Rajma

As always give his all and was instrumental in harassing Spurs backline, however, it's all a bit too soon for him to be a first choice here, in an ideal world he should be coming from the bench to spice things up.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I actually thought he was pretty poor yesterday... but meh, he's allowed an off day here and there.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
So-so first half but I thought in the second half he was our best offensive player.
Clearly in need of a rest though but we've left ourselves short in good back-ups.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Probably one of his poorer games yesterday. Still, saying that, he had two decent shots on goal that required good saves from their keeper. His attitude is still exceptional though, and he has good movement, too (which is more than i can say for some of our more venerated players on here).

I do find some of the criticisms of him on here a little churlish, though. As if they want to appear contrarian due to the fact that the fans seemed to have taken to him due to his character and attitude. Always has to be someone that goes against the tide when it comes to that. That's not to say that some of the criticisms of him aren't warranted though (as with any player), but that's the feeling i get with some posters on here.

The_Midfielder

Do we have fastest front 3 in the league ? Rashford, James and Martial?
If we can get a serious midfield and a maybe a good CF ( Halland?) , i think we will be flying ..

meamth

If we can get a serious midfield and a maybe a good CF ( Halland?) , i think we will be flying ..
We could be the fastest, but having 2 British players alongside Martial means we're lacking that finesse.

Liverpool is the prime example of pace and finesse. That's why they are better at the moment.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
We could be the fastest, but having 2 British players alongside Martial means we're lacking that finesse.

Liverpool is the prime example of pace and finesse. That's why they are better at the moment.
?

Pass and Move

I've been very pleased with James since he signed, stepping up to a bigger club, tougher opponents, less than fluid attacking system, it's been a good start to his United career.

Even in matches with a poor dribbling completion rate, or a few crosses he doesn't look up for, his contribution is still important. His pace, combined with his relentless willingness to sprint causes opponents to rethink their actions all the time. Just knowing he's got the potential to get in behind at any moment can buy us precious moments in midfield so I think his worth to the team right now goes beyond his measurable contributions.

Alabaster Codify7

Haaland would oust Martial, in my opinion. if we were to sign Erling, I'm confident it'd spell the eventual end of Martial who would not be happy being displaced from the starting 11.

James, Haaland, Rashford is what I would expect to see.

DFreshKing

Very strange comment. Plenty of British players with finesse.

Classnordic

Oh okey, that's why theyre better. No reason for further analysis i guess:rolleyes::p

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
James reminds me of Ji Sung Park.

He will never be a world beater, but currently he's one of the first names on the team sheet. He works his ass off and presses with great intensity which really helps stop counters or allows us to box people in to intercept. I'm sure his goal tally would be higher from the left, but having him on the pitch on the right side provides us much better balance and allows the team to play better as a whole.

meamth

Very strange comment. Plenty of British players with finesse.
Right.

Rashford dribbling skills aren't as good as Hazard, Neymar, Messi, you name it.

British flair is good, but you won't expect James and Rashford to have that technical flair as the brazilians, spanish, french player.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Right.

British flair is good, but you won't expect James and Rashford to have that technical flair as the brazilians, spanish, french player.
So you've named three out of what, 5-6 best dribblers in the world and compared Rashford with them to generalise about the players' dribbling and finesse in regards to a nationality?

How much of a finesse gifted dribblers are Benteke, Costa and Icardi then?

OL29

Right.

I don't think that's fair, the newer generation of English talent like Sancho, Maddison, Hudson-Odoi etc are all technically gifted. You only need to look at the skill Dele Alli pulled off for his goal last night to see it's a bit of a myth that British players aren't technically gifted.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018

Yea one of things you say then stop for a second and think ‘nah that was a mistake but too late to change that now’. fecking bizarre xenophobic comment. It’s a shame sterling is British otherwise he’d have some finesse too. In fact if Ali was a little less British he might have scored a better goal against us yesterday

:houllier::houllier::houllier:

Thiagoal

Right.

What did you make of Ryan Giggs dribbling then? Gareth Bale? Sancho? George Best? I guess Richarlison is better than all of them cos Brazil right?

MiracleInMadrid

Really happy about his performance yesterday. I think he was instrumental, but not so much for his output on the ball and in the final third. Moreso because of his constant runs in behind their defence and defensive contribution, which really helped us out yesterday.
He was chasing every half change of getting the ball, and pressed the opponent constantly. In my opinion it was fundamental for us to keep pressure on Spurs in those first 35 minutes where they could not catch a break. The boy is not hiding and gets to the ball first in so many of the 50/50 battles, which helps us keeping the ball. Lingard also deserves praise for similar qualities yesterday.

At the end of the match he just focussed on helping out defensively and absolutely ran his socks off.

meamth

So you've named three out of what, 5-6 best dribblers in the world and compared Rashford with them to generalise about the players' dribbling and finesse in regards to a nationality?

How much of a finesse gifted dribblers are Benteke, Costa and Icardi then?
British flair/finesse is well identified as being explosive. Case in my point, look at Walcott/Lennon/Bale/Rashford/Downing/Zaha/Young Rooney/Young Milner/Ashley Young/Young Scholes/Giggs...

They tend to do skills here and then, but not that often. They really pretty much on pace rather than body feints, technical dribbling.

Pure strikers you mentioned doesn't have to be skillful, but if you want to play like you Liverpool, tehnique and finesse is very important (Firmino).

I don't think that's fair, the newer generation of English talent like Sancho, Maddison, Hudson-Odoi etc are all technically gifted. You only need to look at the skill Dele Alli pulled off for his goal last night to see it's a bit of a myth that British players aren't technically gifted.
Like I said, we all know there is some english players with proper finesse like Gascoigne, Sterling is very Spanish like, Sancho, yes.

Dele Alli is more robust and aggresive than your typical technical CAM, but when he need to do a brilliant move, he can do it. More like Gascoigne.

But more typical English CAM, you can see Barkley, Maddison, they are more explosive than you think. I don't say the British players aren't technically gifted, far from it.

In rare occasions in a generation there will always be a Ravel, Joe Cole, Sancho, Sterling, Gascoigne..

Yea one of things you say then stop for a second and think ‘nah that was a mistake but too late to change that now’. fecking bizarre xenophobic comment. It’s a shame sterling is British otherwise he’d have some finesse too. In fact if Ali was a little less British he might have scored a better goal against us yesterday

:houllier::houllier::houllier:
Never have I said British flair is wank.

What did you make of Ryan Giggs dribbling then? Gareth Bale? Sancho? George Best? I guess Richarlison is better than all of them cos Brazil right?
Ryan Giggs is more explosive in his younger days isn't he? Rely on pace and occasional clever dribbling.

Sancho is in the new generation.

Gareth Bale is the epitome of British flair, fast, explosive.

George Best is a genius.

Status
Not open for further replies.