5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevondo8

He reminds me a little of a young Pedro, and I feel he can develop into the kind of role he had at Barca. He needs to be a bit cuter with his decision making, and a little more composed with the final pass/shot... but there’s a player in there, and he’s been a really good signing.
agree with this 100%

RedIan

Dan is a pretty inexperienced player, made his senior debut in 2018 in a lower league. I love his attitude, works his arse off for sure... against teams who want to come out and play against us he is a vital component. His pace is frightening the shit out of opposition defenders.
He could do with a goal but it will come again. Agree he needs to get his head up more and improve decision making but those calling him useless are clueless Imo.

UmbroDays

Watching the highlights again and I think we generally need to be aware of Bruno and his late runs. Martial and James had two chances to give Bruno a clear chance on goal

James annoyed the shot out of me this game. I was screaming ass many many times and he just ran with his head down. This is why in a front 2 as we were yesterday, I’d prefer playing Igahlo over James.

arnie_ni

If he doesn’t make the run in the first place there’s nobody to put through. Poor decision making but given we won the game and he was a big part of it he kind of earned the benefit of the doubt today.
I didnt say he wasnt. Its his best game in ages, but those wee moments can be the difference in winning and losing, both he and Tony got lucky in that reagrd
Watching the highlights again and I think we generally need to be aware of Bruno and his late runs. Martial and James had two chances to give Bruno a clear chance on goal

James annoyed the shot out of me this game. I was screaming ass many many times and he just ran with his head down. This is why in a front 2 as we were yesterday, I’d prefer playing Igahlo over James.
James was vital to our tactics though.

From box to box he's brilliant and key in those big games we play on the counter especially with rashford out, but in the final 3rd he's been poor for months.

I think he was desperate to score because its been so long and he overlooked the simple yet correct decision to lay it on a plate for bruno.

westmeath

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I was at the game yesterday day and thought Dan was immense. Off the ball work rate was huge and he always offered the outlet on the half way line. Ok, butchered a couple of decent openings but the quality of his display really surprised me.

Mike Smalling

Noone can fault his effort and workrate, but his end-product really needs to improve. His finishing recently is mostly about smashing it at goal, rather than actually trying to place it, and not passing to Bruno was borderline criminal. There is little point to having great workrate and pace, if you are not able to put your head up and make the right decision most of the time.

reddevil80

What I find baffling is that James is the only player getting a hiding for not playing in Fernandes or getting his head up and looking for the right passes. Fair enough, he could have and maybe should have looked up and layed the ball square but he is desperate to get a goal and attackers are supposed to be quite greedy and selfish.

On the other hand, Martial isn't getting anywhere near the slating this young man is. In my opinion, neither player should be getting nailed for their indiscretions but to just blame one is out if order. It just goes to show that even with another victory, and another clean sheet, our fans are that fickle, we won't let up and give praise for the teams performance.

AshRK

I don't like people abusing him but let's be real here, he is probably our worst player since Bebe. We paid £15m for him? That's about £12m too much. He is just very bad at playing football.
:lol: What a stupid post.

AshRK

He will learn and surely OLe will have a word with him. It seems people never learn and are already writing him off because he doesn't have a fancy name. 3 goals and 6 assists in his first full season at top flight is a great return and yes his decision making was not good yesterday but the boy kept on running. He will only get better.

Godfather

What I find baffling is that James is the only player getting a hiding for not playing in Fernandes or getting his head up and looking for the right passes. Fair enough, he could have and maybe should have looked up and layed the ball square but he is desperate to get a goal and attackers are supposed to be quite greedy and selfish.

On the other hand, Martial isn't getting anywhere near the slating this young man is. In my opinion, neither player should be getting nailed for their indiscretions but to just blame one is out if order. It just goes to show that even with another victory, and another clean sheet, our fans are that fickle, we won't let up and give praise for the teams performance.
James' decision making was all over the place over the whole match yesterday though. It wasn't only this instance.

meamth

I don't like people abusing him but let's be real here, he is probably our worst player since Bebe. We paid £15m for him? That's about £12m too much. He is just very bad at playing football.
What a total nonsense.

Your ability to understand football abilities are just atrocious.

These kind of comments has no place in football discussions .

romufc

He will learn and surely OLe will have a word with him. It seems people never learn and are already writing him off because he doesn't have a fancy name. 3 goals and 6 assists in his first full season at top flight is a great return and yes his decision making was not good yesterday but the boy kept on running. He will only get better.
Yhh and he has only been in professional football a few years at best.

He will learn when to shoot and when to pass, he is a valuable member to this squad I believe.

Lynty

I'm really happy we signed him. Good player to have in any squad, can only develop more and has the right attitude - all for a fair price.

SATA

He was great in threatening City with his own strengths. It’s absolutely ridiculous that many of you think all our players must and should play like Messi

KristianMackle

His decision making yesterday was a but off but we need to resist the impulse to harangue and abuse our players after bad performances.
As fans, we always demand perfection from our players and often overlook the mental health of our own players who are subjected to online abuse.
A lot of these players are in their early 20s and can not handle the mental side effects of being told constantly, "you deserve to lose your job", "go away!," etc.
If players are awful we need to call it out but we always tend to go too far. We need to protect our own including the Lingards and Perreiras.

SmallCaine

Greedy is trying a difficult finish instead of passing to a player who has a simpler option available. Rashford is greedy, what martial did yesterday at times was greedy.

James's problem is a bigger one, lack of football IQ. Yesterday's shooting was just one example. Cutting in from right and shooting with the right foot, you are basically praying for a goal not expecting one.

This is similar to his crossing, it's like watching a machine. There is no situational awareness in him, even when every utd player is at the edge of the box, his cross will be near post. He knows certain things and that is all he will do.

Only good thing is he is young, hopefully the coaching staff can help him. Otherwise we will have another periera type very limited player.

AshRK

Yhh and he has only been in professional football a few years at best.

He will learn when to shoot and when to pass, he is a valuable member to this squad I believe.
We still don't know his potential. All this talk of how he is worse than oberton or the worst signing since Bebe is ridiculous. The boy has done more than I expected. Looking forward to see how he performs next season.

romufc

We still don't know his potential. All this talk of how he is worse than oberton or the worst signing since Bebe is ridiculous. The boy has done more than I expected. Looking forward to see how he performs next season.
He has alot of pace and he's link up play is decent too, why are some fans getting carried away, let players develop. He has had a brilliant first season IMO.

Foxbatt

Yes he was poor in his decision making and hope Ole gives him a good talking to. But his pace and his running was vital to our win yesterday. He should be told that goals are not that important for him and he should create goals for others. We need him against Spurs for sure. He will scare the daylights out of their defence and Sanchez is a bit like Bailly that he will foul and may even get a red card if James keeps running at him.

MadMike

You’d never take a bet on a player improving on his raw skills (like dribbling, control and shooting) through his career, but one bet you would take, is on them improving their decision making and getting more out of their skill set.

I believe James is already a half-decent squad player and with more maturity and better decision making he could well become a very good one. I think he’s worth sticking by. I don’t think anyone has any expections of him to develop into a top winger. You don’t get top wingers for 15m and you’re not gonna have 24 top players in your squad either.

Devil may care

The pressing and workrate were excellent but he has very little composure or nous when he gets to the last 25 yards, it's a bit like Lingard in these type of games, he offers more pressing and running than Greenwood would, but very little of the goal threat Mason provides, meaning a lot is on Bruno and Martial or whoever the other 2 forwards are.

cyril C

I recall a certain C. Ronaldo was the same too. He got endless stick in his first season for running with his head down, so much so it was coming from his own teammates as well as the fans. It means nothing if they are able to learn from it.

Our coaching staff will sit down with him and teach him where he needs to look up before making a decision. If he gets it, great, we will have one hell of a player on our hands, if he doesn't then he will still be a useful squad member for games like yesterday.
This is precisely the question that I raised. James has been with us for many months now, we have half a dozen of assistant managers, who is looking after this aspect of his game? If nobody is looking after him, James is better off loan out and learn it like Henderson. The last thing we want is another Depay scenario, been here, played games, failure, sold off then MOTM in another team.

Thisistheone

He's a frustrating player at times but I'd have him in the side every day of the week over the likes of Sanchez. Works his socks off.

Sea-Cow

Pace and effort can paper over so many cracks. He ran his socks off today and I think City were hesitant to throw defenders forward because they were slightly worried about his pace.

Yes he sometimes lacks in actual football ability, and he should probably only ever be a squad member, but I like the little guy and hope he continues to do well for us.

gza the genius

You’d never take a bet on a player improving on his raw skills (like dribbling, control and shooting) through his career, but one bet you would take, is on them improving their decision making and getting more out of their skill set.

I believe James is already a half-decent squad player and with more maturity and better decision making he could well become a very good one. I think he’s worth sticking by. I don’t think anyone has any expections of him to develop into a top winger. You don’t get top wingers for 15m and you’re not gonna have 24 top players in your squad either.
This. Decision making is something that can easily be improved with coaching. The raw tools he has as a player aren’t. He’s relatively skillful, tenacious, and can keep it up for an entire match.

Had he squared that ball back to Bruno you’d be looking at an 8-9/10 performance yesterday. He made our entire game plan possible and gave our defense relief time and time again through his help defensively and providing an outlet/surging runs forward. He also very nearly picked out Martial from a cross as well. Seems a lot of people are letting one moment define his game yesterday - and career here in total in some cases.

Not to mention, with the amount of good crosses he’s sent in this season only for absolutely no one to bother attacking them it’s kind of hard to blame him for deciding to go on his own every once in a while. He’s still a very young player in only his first season at the club, maturity and decision making will come with time.

DCP

I thought he had a great game yesterday. Should have passed a few times but mostly did what was required.

SER19

Definitely better yesterday than recent games but his last top performance was city away in December. Was brilliant that day. I like him though definite stayer in this squad

criticalanalysis

He reminds me a little of a young Pedro, and I feel he can develop into the kind of role he had at Barca. He needs to be a bit cuter with his decision making, and a little more composed with the final pass/shot... but there’s a player in there, and he’s been a really good signing.
Pedro was and is a very intelligent player, with good touch, pace, movement and all round passing; he drifts in and out of the game too much but in a possession based team, he's a net positive.

I think it's bit of a stretch to hope James gets to that overall level because his tools are mainly pace, directness and work ethic. He's too much of an orthodox wide player to really have that kind of silky, central interplay.

Right now, I think he needs to make less lung bursting runs into blind alleys, concentrate on his 1-2 passing, position himself better for better passing (tri)angles and then learn how to skip off the shoulder type of runs.

Kappa123

He's good when he can run fast in a straight line. Decision making is inconsistent and shite overall.

He'll be a pretty good player for us if he can keep up the hard work.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

If us fans know that before he arrived and in just a few games, I think they should have by now.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
This year is a big learning curve for him. Hopefully he will improve year on year.

He's a bit rash in his decision making in the final third, but given the step up it's understandable.

Work in progress

Bondi77

I think the lad is doing really well in his first season in the top flight and with the raw attributes he has he will only get better with more game time.
I think some people forget that stars in other leagues come to England for big money and have no impact at their new clubs and we have seen players like Sessegnon, Taraabt and Zaha who dominate in the Championship but struggle in the step up.
Let us enjoy the fact that we paid a small fee for a young British player who gets fans out of their seats and has adapted straight away in the toughest league in the world and will only get better.

Status
Not open for further replies.