5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

AFC NimbleThumb

Weirdly he actually gets himself into decent positions but then it’ll be a take shot/pass or he’ll just fall over entirely.

He can be a very good option off the bench if he keeps working on his game.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Although he should've passed it, I don't actually think those shots from James were bad efforts. I seem to be in the minority now but I do think James does have tangible talent and has showcased enough of it this season for me to have patience with him. I've seen this sort of form drop with Rashford and Martial in the past, obviously he's not as good as them but you can see his confidence is shot and he's trying too hard to force things instead of keeping it simple. This season was always going to be rough for him due to his Dad passing away and moving to a new league, I think he'll end up a solid squad player in the long run.

Cloud7

With better decision making he could have had two assists today. For the time being there is space for him on the squad as someone we can bring on against tired legs and hope he does something, but he should be nowhere near starting.

TsuWave

There’s more to football than running as fast as sonic the hedgehog, unfortunately this guy doesn’t have it

RedDevil@84

Not all players hit the ground running. He is young and with right coaching he could get better and get into a useful role in the team. A team is made up of different levels of players .

Ryang1ggs11

I used to hate watching marcus rashford, he was all pace, no finish. Give dan james time. Better players around him. He'll learn

Craig Ward

There’s more to football than running as fast as sonic the hedgehog, unfortunately this guy doesn’t have it
Such an utter naive comment with very little basis.

I absolutely hate this logic from fans.

James is young, learning and developing. He's already a good player and will get better.

Its taken Rashford 3 seasons to get to where he is now and even he looks shaky with decision making at times.

Not many players sign for us at a young age and make it. He;s done well overall this year. He has probably been used more than Ole would have liked as he wasn't signed to be a starter, but you have to take the positives.

His attitude and workrate are second to none, and it's clear the boy has real talent. His pace is obviously a threat but he;s a good footballer too.

We have to get behind him and allow him to develop. Same as we do with all our youngsters

TsuWave

James is young, learning and developing. He's already a good player and will get better.

Its taken Rashford 3 seasons to get to where he is now and even he looks shaky with decision making at times.

Not many players sign for us at a young age and make it. He;s done well overall this year. He has probably been used more than Ole would have liked as he wasn't signed to be a starter, but you have to take the positives.

His attitude and workrate are second to none, and it's clear the boy has real talent. His pace is obviously a threat but he;s a good footballer too.

We have to get behind him and allow him to develop. Same as we do with all our youngsters
James is not “already a good player”. And it most definitely isn’t clear he has real talent.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Very little quality, but I still feel he can improve and become useful. He shouldn’t be getting beyond next season though if there are no signs.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Save him for some big counter attack games, he'll show some more worth there.

Fracture90

I feel that he's a bit too eager to make something good which ultimately makes him a bit selfish when he's in a good position.

He gotta be more aware that the assist is as good as a goal to the team and that he shouldn't be forcing his shot all the time.

Craig Ward

James is not “already a good player”. And it most definitely isn’t clear he has real talent.
he is though.

Every forward has good spells and bad. He is young, learning, developing.

It's not easy to transfer into a Manchester United team at such a young age and be a superstar. He's doing well.

Your comment was way too harsh

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
He showed some potential early in the season but I think he's been overplayed into bad form and now he's lost confidence. Time is still on his side and I think he should remain a squad player until he can turn his form around.

People write him off on here like they've got a personal vendetta against him. I really don't understand it.

Havak

Pokemon master
I think he was just a bit to eager to impress considering it looks likely he's going to be on the bench more often for now.

He came on and got into some good positions, but sometimes he slows down too much, sometimes he tries to rush it, sometimes he makes the wrong decision in terms of shooting or passing etc. Hopefully he can just take on some advice and try to get back to basics first. I think he'll grab a few more goals and assists this season eventually.

Maybe he'll take some extra time to find his feet again post lockdown, but I'm hoping he plays the LASK game in August and gets some confidence playing 90 minutes there!

Deery

Dreary
Gets way too much criticism on here we were 3-0 up it’s a good game for a player to come on and try and build confidence.

I still think he has a lot to give and can only improve, wouldn’t cut him loose just yet..

Mcking

He hasn't done well. He's managed to make his stats look respectable, but he hasn't scored nor assisted since last year. He hasn't scored in 26 league games and hasn't provided an assist in 11 games while being a regular starter, and his overall game has been rubbish. What he's shown so far hasn't been any better than what you'd expect from a regular lower league winger. There has been many players who has shown similar potential in the lower leagues and our academy, but never got the chance to prove it at Premier League level, talk of getting the time to actually try and improve to the required level. James is no better than all those players, he is just like the lottery winner who got lucky. The only thing he has going for him is his stamina. He can't apply his pace, he is weak physically, and underwhelming technically. I don't know any single reason why we have to get behind him and let him develop. He hasn't shown any potential that would justify such amount of time and dedication.

-Supreme-

James is a young project that needs time to develop, he has taken on a huge burden this season that wasn't expected of him and being asked to play on the right side that clearly isn't his natural position either, I have no doubt Rashford would struggle playing there where he has had 5 years experience in the PL.

Do people remember his goal scoring streaks when he played on the left side? He will do well but we need to be patience

Reactions: golden_blunder

Mcking

James is a young project that needs time to develop, he has taken on a huge burden this season that wasn't expected of him and being asked to play on the right side that clearly isn't his natural position either, I have no doubt Rashford would struggle playing there where he has had 5 years experience in the PL.

Do people remember his goal scoring streaks when he played on the left side? He will do well but we need to be patience
That was two goals in two games, hardly what I'd call scoring streaks. He hasn't scored since then too.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
I think he's feeling the pressure with a full squad now.

Knows he has to impress so he's trying too hard instead of focusing on the basics. Could see it on his face after the shots.

I think he needs to work with the more skillful players in the team to add some tricks and a drop of the shoulder to his game because he's too predictable and easily shut out without them. With them he'd be dangerous.

He's proven useful this season and he'll prove useful in coming seasons too, just has to get hiis head down and not let the pressure get to him.

KennyBurner

Save him for some big counter attack games, he'll show some more worth there.
This. He isn’t built out for playing against low blocks. Doesn’t have the creativity. Against city though he will increase our winning chances.
He also looks much better on the left so I still have hope he can be of use when rashford is unavailable. Its better for him to develop his dribbling when cutting inside.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I just dont get the whole ' have a pacey player on the subs' mentality especially when he is clearly only ever going to be good enough for the LW.

We have Rashford to play LW, Martial to play LW, potentially Sancho and Grealish to play LW if we end up buying them.

If he was a left footed RW then he is fighting for a position of weakness and deserves time but he is playing in a position that has squad depth and has never been particularly hard to fix in the past.

The change from playing him to Greenwood has been huge for players like AWB and Martial and the whole team in general to get some fluidity and symmetrical scary abilities.

A rapid pacey player isnt going to scare any team more than a technically capable player with decent pace unless they were playing in to extra time up to 120 mins in my opinion.

Roux

Gets way too much criticism on here we were 3-0 up it’s a good game for a player to come on and try and build confidence.

I still think he has a lot to give and can only improve, wouldn’t cut him loose just yet..
He could have done that by squaring the ball twice - instead he tried to score from a difficult angle both times. Classic case of a young player trying to compensate from poor performances in the past.
I think he game would improve massively by focusing on getting to the byline and squaring it rather than cutting inside - he really could be an assist machine with some tweaks to his game.

Deery

Dreary
He could have done that by squaring the ball twice - instead he tried to score from a difficult angle both times. Classic case of a young player trying to compensate from poor performances in the past.
I think he game would improve massively by focusing on getting to the byline and squaring it rather than cutting inside - he really could be an assist machine with some tweaks to his game.
I agree with you he could become very good at getting assists with a little help.

As you say I think the pressure is on him so he wanted that goal to lift him, at 3-0 I don’t really mind that but.

Gandalf

This is what I am hoping for too. He will learn because we know Ole will stop playing him if he doesn't but when put in perspective of this only being his second full season and his first in the Premier League he has done well for what was a bargain signing expected to spend this year developing. I like him a lot but even I was yelling at the screen when he took those shots on, especially the first when a halfway decent pass would have created a simple goal for Iggy, but I do think he feels under pressure to score because his form has dipped in the last few months as others have kicked on. I hope Ole and the team can settle him down and let him know that crosses into the box are his bread and butter and goals are just an added bonus when they happen. He isn't going to turn into CR7 but developed sensibly he can be a good squad option who should contribute double figures in assists each season which is what a winger is for.

Roux

I agree with you he could become very good at getting assists with a little help.

As you say I think the pressure is on him so he wanted that goal to lift him, at 3-0 I don’t really mind that but.
It bothers me because top 4 could very well come down to goal difference.

RUCK4444

Harsh one to judge him on yesterday’s cameo, we were trouncing them and he’s desperate to get on the scoresheet so he forced two weak shots at goal, no biggie

He will still be effective off the bench I’m sure. It’s hard to be too harsh on the lad in his first season, he’s trying to force his way back into form. Still think he’s a good bench option.

Roux

This is what I am hoping for too. He will learn because we know Ole will stop playing him if he doesn't but when put in perspective of this only being his second full season and his first in the Premier League he has done well for what was a bargain signing expected to spend this year developing. I like him a lot but even I was yelling at the screen when he took those shots on, especially the first when a halfway decent pass would have created a simple goal for Iggy, but I do think he feels under pressure to score because his form has dipped in the last few months as others have kicked on. I hope Ole and the team can settle him down and let him know that crosses into the box are his bread and butter and goals are just an added bonus when they happen. He isn't going to turn into CR7 but developed sensibly he can be a good squad option who should contribute double figures in assists each season which is what a winger is for.
I hope so because that pace is such a waste without end product. Some player should take pride in assists rather than goals and he should be one of them. I like the option of bringing him off the bench around 60-70 mins mark.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He was buzzing around nicely, just looks to get close to the goal and it gets REALLY SMALL in his mind and panics a bit.

First shot he should have blasted it, 2nd shot should have curled it. He's clearly lacking confidence right now but it happens.

Ole needs to just keep subbing him on in those situations and eventually the penny will drop. Definitely looks more dangerous from the left right now.

Mainoldo

People clearly like the person and not the player. This guys will never be good enough for even a squad player. He’s as bad as Chong and still don’t understand why we paid £20m for him.. But hey we like him right.

AJ Bullet

Dan James is only 22, where was Mo Salah at that age, on loan to Fiorentina after flopping in the Prem, nobody rated him, I'm not going to completely right him off yet, still has clearly much to learn but if we can get in another quality option up front then loan him to Italy/Germany and he might come good yet.

The Original

How are you seeing this?

Before the break he was obviously getting on Bruno's nerves with his constant refusal to pass and yesterday he picked right up from where he left off with two failed attempts in the space of three minutes.

Do you see evidence of a player who is using his head there? Do you have to be 30 to know that you should pass to your teammates in better positions?

The Original

How are you seeing this?
Before the break he was obviously getting on Bruno's nerves with his constant refusal to pass and yesterday he picked right up from where he left off with two failed attempts in the space of three minutes.

Do you see evidence of a player who is using his head there? Do you have to be 30 to know that you should pass to your teammates in better positions?

It's one thing to have average technique with other redeeming traits llike Park used to have, but to have average technique and play for yourself is not only not endearing, it doesn't make him look intelligent.

Tiber

I remain more than satisfied with James. When we signed him we expected him to spend the season developing and coming off the bench every now and then. He has shown genuine talent and adjusted well considering this time last year he was in a different division

It's not his fault he was overplayed.

el3mel

Definitely not true this. He has been pretty poor this season. He only did well for the first 3-4 matches, after that it went down hill.

The Original

Dan James is only 22, where was Mo Salah at that age, on loan to Fiorentina after flopping in the Prem, nobody rated him, I'm not going to completely right him off yet, still has clearly much to learn but if we can get in another quality option up front then loan him to Italy/Germany and he might come good yet.
Salah showed a lot more and was always looking interesting. The think with James is that he is not doing anything different from when he was playing in the Championship....so what is the basis for the optimism?

el3mel

Salah barely played with Chelsea to be considered a flop in the PL and when he moved to Fiorentina he did great with them immediately from the start.

James played the majority of first half of this season as a starter and has more than 2000 minutes in the league, while his numbers are pretty poor and performance isn't good.

Can he improve yes he can but he'll improve to become an average at best. He won't magically earn skills that aren't there to start with. He'll improve in his dribbling, running and crossing but that's about it.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Young, young, young, young. Word which most of you use. He is 23 in november. Can someone explain me margins regarding players. To know in future. Is 24 still young? Or is that just youngish? I know that, by caf standards, 30 is old (when decline starts).

Untd55

Salah was at Roma where he got 14 goals and 6 assists in 34 games when he was 22. Even at Fiorentina, he got 6 goals and 3 assists in 16 games.

I doubt James would get picked up by a club like Roma. It will more likely be teams like Burnley standard.

The defence that people seem to be using is that he is young and that he will get better eventually. It isn't a great argument because nobody seems to say what he is good at other than running.

In Rainbows

Salah was at Roma where he got 14 goals and 6 assists in 34 games when he was 22. Even at Fiorentina, he got 6 goals and 3 assists in 16 games.

I doubt James would get picked up by a club like Roma. It will more likely be teams like Burnley standard.

The defence that people seem to be using is that he is young and that he will get better eventually. It isn't a great argument because nobody seems to say what he is good at other than running.
The young excuse could be used for someone like Ryan Sessegnon, who did much better than Daniel James in the Championship and is 2.5 years younger than James. Or Zaha when he first came because you could legit say they were great in their teens in the Championship. Daniel James didn't have the same seasons as those kind of prospects despite being older than those teens that dominated.

Status
Not open for further replies.