5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

diawl_coch

If we had a B team in the Championship, he'd be at that level.

I don't think he's going to make it as a Premier League level player, too small and gets bullied by physical players. His final decision making is woeful, there is no silver lining.

Worth a punt, but worth less now than we paid for him.

Alemar

He looks like he's questioning his own ability to the point where he's even stopped doing the basic things he was good at previously.
But is it surprising? He is training every day with 3 extremely talented attackers in Martial, Rashford and Greenwood, and obviously sees what they can do. He cannot reproduce any of it himself

Mark Pawelek

We should send him out on loan where he'll be played. He's young and needs to develop. He can't do that here. Keeping him here stops his career development. Our style of football is wrong for him. I can't see how we need him. All 3 of our forwards/wingers (Martial, Rashford, and Greenwood) have good pace. Maybe not Olympic sprint pace, but good enough to beat all but the speediest defenders when it matters. James doesn't add enough to the team. I'd prefer we replace him with a ball player like Emiliano Buendía.

Ekeke

Should be an option for right wingback when we play 3 at the back. Doesnt pose enough threat to be in the front 3

youngrell

But is it surprising? He is training every day with 3 extremely talented attackers in Martial, Rashford and Greenwood, and obviously sees what they can do. He cannot reproduce any of it himself
Hopefully he can see the progress they continue to make and aspire to do the same.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Apart from confidence, think the problem is technical. Can't even remember seeing him drop a shoulder, stop the ball and go past his man.
He needs to improve fast or his time here will be short.

Andersons Dietician

Hopefully he can see the progress they continue to make and aspire to do the same.
He is very different from them though. I just don’t see him getting to the level those 3 are at with the short passing and movement. He isn’t great in tight spaces and doesn’t seem to really be able to beat a man unless he has the space.
To get the best out of him he needs to be played in to space behind teams and just let him run. Martial,Rashford, Greenwood all capable of keeping pace with him it’s just those 3 and the midfield seem to prefer more intricate passing and movement. All more than capable of playing on the counter but we just don’t seem to create that many openings like that where he would be a benefit.

What needs working on is his decision making and final ball. Those I think he can improve with time but his touch and lack of ability in tight spaces is probably too late to be improved on.

He has a place in the squad for certain games.

youngrell

Hopefully, he needs more skill. Can it be trained?
Probably not at this stage but I’m sure he can improve his decision making with experience. And he needs to get a shift on before he’s chewed up and spat out. We are moving forward quickly and I’m not sure Ole will take too many passengers.

Skeezix

It is obvious at this point he is not a technical player that will be useful against defensive teams. And he is practically ineffective in the Right Forward/Wing position,
but he can be quite effective in the left wing against opponents with tired legs.

I know he's not from the academy, but he wasn't a marquee signing either. And he's not on high wages.
Should be given a season or two to prove himself, when the likes of Jones, Lingard, Rojo, Young were given so much time and leniency by the Club.
James can be a useful squad member for now.

Bojan Djordjic

Feel free to shout me down but I'm not even sure he's even as fast as he looks. He's clearly very quick but for somebody who's USP is his speed, he rarely seems to get that much separation in matches. I've definitely seen defenders reel him in which you don't see happen with mega speedsters like Mbappe, Traore, or Alphonso Davies who always seems to tear away from their opponent.

He's like Mata in that he seems a very good lad, ultra professional but just nowhere near good enough for the club.

RashyForPM

Apart from confidence, think the problem is technical. Can't even remember seeing him drop a shoulder, stop the ball and go past his man.
He needs to improve fast or his time here will be short.
He needs to improve right now. Start next season poorly and he’s gone in January imo, most likely back to Swansea or if he’s lucky, Leeds.

-Supreme-

He needs to improve right now. Start next season poorly and he’s gone in January imo, most likely back to Swansea or if he’s lucky, Leeds.
At this rate it will be James that will go out on loan and not Chong IMO.

RashyForPM

At this rate it will be James that will go out on loan and not Chong IMO.
Really wouldn’t be against that. Chong has undeniably outperformed James in the sporadic chances he’s gotten in 2020. Scored in that mish-mash friendly against WBA too. Every little helps.

Foxbatt

This is where I have issues with the coaches. It should be drummed into his head that he is not a striker. He needs to put the cross in no matter what. You practice individually every day. If it's done he will improve at least his crossing. Giggs when he started didn't score. His job was as a winger to put that ball in the areas it would be dangerous. James needs to do that. The fact he is not doing it to me suggests a coaching issue.

Devil81

Jesus I'm not a fan, I don't rate him but to slag him off about three touches is madness.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Jesus I'm not a fan, I don't rate him but to slag him off about three touches is madness.
Yeah, he made some poor decisions when coming on, but people are writing everyone off - as per on the cafe after a defeat.

Untd55

I would feel sorry for him if he wasn't paid so much, because he looks so far out of his depth.

This isn't just this match; this is the majority of matches this season. Even at the start, despite the goals, he looked out of place.

He has pace, but there just isn't the footballing ability required to be at Manutd. To be honest, he looks like a player from a newly promoted at best.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Absolute jokes if you are “fans” criticising him for tonight. He got barely any time to do anything.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
It's weird how Ole flipped how he used him. Since Greenwood broke through, James has barely even been used as a sub which is surprising. He had an OK season, but at best he's going to be a deeper squad player. Like if we want Greenwood to be first depth option, James is someone who will only come in during full rotation or deep injury crisis periods.

In Rainbows

Robbie Savage damn near called him dumb when he ran into traffic :lol: :lol:
It was deserving for that instance. He has pace. It's one of his lone qualities. He had plenty of space in front of him to run into. He had plenty of space to his right. In other words he wasn't close to hugging the touchline.

Yet he chose to go inbetween the two defenders instead of utilizing his pace.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I don’t think many people were expecting him to be regular & have a top class potential from when we announced for signing him. I thought people believed Greenwood was the one who nail the right flank spot, while James was signed for backup to buy us more time until the next following season when we are ready to get Sancho.

I thought he carried us well from the start of season to end of December to keep us alive in top 4 race. He was one of the important player when Rashford was off form & Martial injured, he was also crucial in the big game against city, Arsenal, spurs, & Liverpool in those 5 months. And then faded out due to being burnt out played almost every games and his confidence started to reduced as his form dropped drastically. What I realised the change in his game in the first 5 months is that he used to have a look around him before making pass & cross (if you want the easiest way to look at it, you can try to look at his assists this season). But after that, he just does everything with no vision and brain.

I think he deserves another season. He has asset to hurt, his pace & attitude are incredible. I have seen him deliver plenty of time good quality crosses & passes so there are talent that he can develop in training.

I don’t think it was too bad for signing since there is value for investment in it. We didn’t pay too much so if we end up selling him in the future, pretty sure we can get almost the double we paid.

SAFMUTD

I don’t think it was too bad for signing since there is value for investment in it. We didn’t pay too much so if we end up selling him in the future, pretty sure we can get almost the double we paid.
If we end up getting 40M for him that would be the best business we will ever do. I dont think he'll ever worth nearly that much. If we can get our 20M back, even 15M I would take him without hessitation.

Pace Abuser

Another example of the tragic recruitment of United. Based on whim and fluff and trying to throw shit at the wall. His signing should be internally investigated. The club is treated like a charity these days with jobs for legends and old boys connections.

I can imagine Giggs' recommendation was a one line document about how he "likes James' pace".

Eddy_JukeZ

If we can get 30m for James(I highly doubt we can), we should sell him as soon as possible then.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
If we end up getting 40M for him that would be the best business we will ever do. I dont think he'll ever worth nearly that much. If we can get our 20M back, even 15M I would take him without hessitation.
Still 22 years old with international experiences, whether it’s in 2 or 4 years, his value will still high since he’s homegrown. An ageing 31 years old centre back like Smalling is valued as 20m while Solanke was sold around 19m. And Iwobi is 28m-34m. James right now can easily go close to 40m. He can play in any of the outside top 10 or even outside top 8 in PL right now.

SAFMUTD

Still 22 years old with international experiences, whether it’s in 2 or 4 years, his value will still high since he’s homegrown. An ageing 31 years old centre back like Smalling is valued as 20m while Solanke was sold around 19m. And Iwobi is 28m-34m. James right now can easily go close to 40m. He can play in any of the outside top 10 or even outside top 8 in PL right now.
International experience with Wales doesnt say much in reality, not offense to Wales but he was already an international while being in the Championship so that says all about the standard required for them.

I completely disagree about him starting outside the top 10, I doubt he would be anything more than a squad player even in the weaker sides. Time will tell but its not looking good for him, I wouldnt be surprised if he's labeled as deadwood and we are looking to sell by next summer.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
International experience with Wales doesnt say much in reality, not offense to Wales but he was already an international while being in the Championship so that says all about the standard required for them.

I completely disagree about him starting outside the top 10, I doubt he would be anything more than a squad player even in the weaker sides. Time will tell but its not looking good for him, I wouldnt be surprised if he's labeled as deadwood and we are looking to sell by next summer.
Not sure why is it a bad thing to earn international cap while you were in Championship. If anything, he did well to make it because that’s based on his performance not because big club signed him like how Zaha got his England first cap. Say what you want to say but Wales made it to Euro which James was part of the starting XI.

If someone like Redmond can make it to Southampton now, not sure why James can’t have a good chance to play team who are below Southampton. Bloody Solanke cost 19m.

HowYouDoin

Should be getting more chances. He was brilliant earier in the season then post lockdown ans after the emergence of Greenwood he just kinda got lost in the shuffle.
When Rashford is struggling and he often is these days sometimes he should be taken off after around 60 or 65 min. Give James some actual minutes, not 5 minutes like he gets most games, he cant do anything in that time.
All in all we shouldnt give up on him. I want to see him get more chances next season.

SAFMUTD

Not sure why is it a bad thing to earn international cap while you were in Championship. If anything, he did well to make it because that’s based on his performance not because big club signed him like how Zaha got his England first cap. Say what you want to say but Wales made it to Euro which James was part of the starting XI.

If someone like Redmond can make it to Southampton now, not sure why James can’t have a good chance to play team who are below Southampton. Bloody Solanke cost 19m.
All Im saying is I dont think it makes a difference is a player is called "international" when he plays for an average/poor country. It haves weight when its a top team, but would you care if a player is an international for lets say Costa Rica? I think most would agree that it doesnt matter at all.

Solanke cost 19M, he's a shit player. I think we could sell James for 15-20M as well, but we are talking about 40M here.

Regarding him starting in any team below the top 8, do you think he's better than the following players?

Aston Vila: Grealish
Bournemouth: Fraser
Brighton: Trossard
Burnley: McNeil
Crystal Palace: Zaha
Everton: Iwobi
Newcastle: Saint Maxim
Norwich: Cantwell
Sheffield: doesnt really play with wingers but he would have to fight with McBurnie or Sharp uptop.
Southampton: Redmond
Watford: Deulofeu
West Ham: Michael Antonio

He may be able to challenge for a starting place in Brighton, Sheffield and Watford. Besides that I dont think he would have a chance honestly.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
All Im saying is I dont think it makes a difference is a player is called "international" when he plays for an average/poor country. It haves weight when its a top team, but would you care if a player is an international for lets say Costa Rica? I think most would agree that it doesnt matter at all.

Solanke cost 19M, he's a shit player. I think we could sell James for 15-20M as well, but we are talking about 40M here.

Regarding him starting in any team below the top 8, do you think he's better than the following players?

Aston Vila: Grealish
Bournemouth: Fraser
Brighton: Trossard
Burnley: McNeil
Crystal Palace: Zaha
Everton: Iwobi
Newcastle: Saint Maxim
Norwich: Cantwell
Sheffield: doesnt really play with wingers but he would have to fight with McBurnie or Sharp uptop.
Southampton: Redmond
Watford: Deulofeu
West Ham: Michael Antonio

He may be able to challenge for a starting place in Brighton, Sheffield and Watford. Besides that I dont think he would have a chance honestly.
This is where I actually don’t understand about you as well. You are so inconsistent about this. If James isn’t good enough for outside top 10 team then surely this is where you shouldn’t ignore the credit how before Bruno came Ole managed to make us stay alive in top 4 run and was in 6th and 5th for long time with James as his starter (who you called him not good enough for outside top 10). Imagine what Ole is capable of with better players than Daniel James.

You are well aware how you used those players to suit your argument when in reality we are all know James is capable to play RW & LW not just one position. Even some of the player you named didn’t play as their winger.

Revan

Assumptionman
The feck? Why his price has been doubled in a year when he was pretty poor (and not including the coronavirus which makes clubs willingly to spend less)?

Status
Not open for further replies.