5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

tomaldinho1

Why are people on here acting like this is Football Manager, I can't believe there are people arguing about the price we should get when we sell him...he's a great option from the bench and you never know how he'll develop. Even if he only ever comes on in games where opposition full backs press high or makes cameos we need these squad players and having real pace is always useful. Squad depth is so important and you don't just sell every signing if that doesn't cement themselves into the first team.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Why are people on here acting like this is Football Manager, I can't believe there are people arguing about the price we should get when we sell him...he's a great option from the bench and you never know how he'll develop. Even if he only ever comes on in games where opposition full backs press high or makes cameos we need these squad players and having real pace is always useful. Squad depth is so important and you don't just sell every signing if that doesn't cement themselves into the first team.
Not been seen this season, in fact not much last season either. He has not really affected games off the bench in a positive way.
Played well vs Leeds so lets see if he can build on that, otherwise we should probably cut our losses and prioritise other talents.

tomaldinho1

Not been seen this season, in fact not much last season either. He has not really affected games off the bench in a positive way.
Played well vs Leeds so lets see if he can build on that, otherwise we should probably cut our losses and prioritise other talents.
But even if he doesn't play a single game and is just a squad player, why is the reaction on here always simply: sell.

Cassidy

But even if he doesn't play a single game and is just a squad player, why is the reaction on here always simply: sell.
Right now we do actually need wide players who can be effective off the bench that's why. Post this season James would have had 2 years to show if there is anything there we can work with. If he hasn't shown promise in that time I would sell, we are supposed to be a club with high-quality players or players with high-quality potential.
If we had a good squad with quality depth then spending time on James as a project would be fine. right now we need to be prioritising talents which we believe have a real chance of being effective in the near future.
Daniel James is 23 years of age, if he isn't good enough to effect games off the bench by the end of this season, he likely will never reach the required level of a United winger.

tomaldinho1

Right now we do actually need wide players who can be effective off the bench that's why. Post this season James would have had 2 years to show if there is anything there we can work with. If he hasn't shown promise in that time I would sell, we are supposed to be a club with high-quality players or players with high-quality potential.
If we had a good squad with quality depth then spending time on James as a project would be fine. right now we need to be prioritising talents which we believe have a real chance of being effective in the near future.
Daniel James is 23 years of age, if he isn't good enough to effect games off the bench by the end of this season, he likely will never reach the required level of a United winger.
I still feel you're missing the point here though. Even if he stays the same level, what's wrong with him being a squad player. He's 23, he's got 5+ years at his peak left. I think, in fairness, most fanbases are like this but selling isn't the only option with a player and he clearly has some potential given the form he showed when he arrived.

If you could point at 2 or 3 players who cover his position and are better than him on the bench, you might have a point but, as it stands, he covers the front three, was a cheap signing and seems a good egg. If he then turns round and demands he start, you reassess but as it stands he's a great depth player for me.

Sylar

I still feel you're missing the point here though. Even if he stays the same level, what's wrong with him being a squad player. He's 23, he's got 5+ years at his peak left. I think, in fairness, most fanbases are like this but selling isn't the only option with a player and he clearly has some potential given the form he showed when he arrived.

If you could point at 2 or 3 players who cover his position and are better than him on the bench, you might have a point but, as it stands, he covers the front three, was a cheap signing and seems a good egg. If he then turns round and demands he start, you reassess but as it stands he's a great depth player for me.
Agree with this, and there's nothing to say he won't improve either. With as many games as we play, and given he's not causing a fuss and will work hard to get game time, it works for us

And it's not like we bought him for 90m,hes been a flop and need to recoup it to get somebody else

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
After going inside to the right 99% of the time he gets the ball on the left, I was so happy to see him keep left and score with his left on the weekend. Personally, I like the player and think he has a spot in the squad. It's not a Ricky level of like, but I think he's a lot better than many give him credit for and can be a valuable player against the right teams and at the right times...

Cassidy

I think it may be you that is missing my point.

The first line of my post Right now we do actually need wide players who can be effective off the bench that's why.

Maybe it's a differing of opinions, but I see no point in having squad players who cannot be trusted to contribute effectively. If he stays at this level for the rest of his career then what is the point of him being a squad player is a better question.

Mata and Greenwood both contribute more from RW than him and are not automatic staters, we are bringing in Diallo and have brought in Pellestri who looks to be extremely talented.

I personally have no issue with him sticking around, but what's the point if he doesn't progress both from Uniteds point of view and from his own personal career point of view.

tomaldinho1

The first line of my post Right now we do actually need wide players who can be effective off the bench that's why.

Maybe it's a differing of opinions, but I see no point in having squad players who cannot be trusted to contribute effectively. If he stays at this level for the rest of his career then what is the point of him being a squad player is a better question.

Mata and Greenwood both contribute more from RW than him and are not automatic staters, we are bringing in Diallo and have brought in Pellestri who looks to be extremely talented.

I personally have no issue with him sticking around, but what's the point if he doesn't progress both from Uniteds point of view and from his own personal career point of view.
I get your point, I just disagree. That last bold bit is what I am saying to you - why are fans' reactions always just sell any player who is just a squad player, as long as he's not causing drama. If he was Lingard and approaching 30, I would understand that if an offer comes in, it's sensible to take it but he's only 23 and he covers across the front three. We have no idea how Pellestri and Diallo will turn out, Mata is only good for certain games and Greenwood is a fill in RW. It's a position we are short of quality in and James is an option.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
The perfect squad player. Expectations are rock bottom - he's a speed merchant at best with little to no IQ on how to manipulate space/protect the ball.

If you expect too much from him you will be disappointed 8 times out of 10.

The more confidence and arrogance he brings to his game, the more he can exploit his speed advantages. Pick the ball up on a turn - run at them - be confident to demand the ball in every pocket. Be mentally ok with making mistakes/losing the ball. Courage.

Cassidy

I get your point, I just disagree. That last bold bit is what I am saying to you - why are fans' reactions always just sell any player who is just a squad player, as long as he's not causing drama. If he was Lingard and approaching 30, I would understand that if an offer comes in, it's sensible to take it but he's only 23 and he covers across the front three. We have no idea how Pellestri and Diallo will turn out, Mata is only good for certain games and Greenwood is a fill in RW. It's a position we are short of quality in and James is an option.
Maybe some fans have a long term view of the squad. Would rather see other players get development minutes if they show higher potential.

Its the same as saying what did some fans wants Mata and Periera released/sold. A lot due to the fact that Gomes was looking for minutes and had higher potential.

Keeping squad players around can have megative effects

Overall though I am just of the opinion that keeping squad players around who either do not immediately provide effective option from the bench or do not have high potential is a waste of time and blocks paths for developing players. I would rather sell and promote youth who do or bring in players who do. So I guess thats where we differ, cant speak for other fans

Polar

James is a great player to have in the squad. He have the right mindset for United: works hard and seems very dedicated and loyal to United. James could be an very valuable asset in certain situations. We should nor set aside that he seems like a very nice and professional guy. As long he is happy and accept his role I don’t see anything wrong with him staying. If the alternative is selling him for 20-30m £, I see greater benefit having him in the squad.

He don’t have to block paths for developing players. On the contrary he can help to relieve and be a backup also for “the new talent”, making his transition smoother and easier.

Last edited:

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I think he has the right mindset so he will be useful whilst he is here but his skillset or technique isnt what we originally thought it might be to the point that once he will be replaced, he will be replaced.

Basically, I'm glad he still has his uses, though I'm not sure that will be the case when the younger RW we bought develop or we buy another etc.

tomaldinho1

Maybe some fans have a long term view of the squad. Would rather see other players get development minutes if they show higher potential.

Its the same as saying what did some fans wants Mata and Periera released/sold. A lot due to the fact that Gomes was looking for minutes and had higher potential.

Keeping squad players around can have megative effects

Overall though I am just of the opinion that keeping squad players around who either do not immediately provide effective option from the bench or do not have high potential is a waste of time and blocks paths for developing players. I would rather sell and promote youth who do or bring in players who do. So I guess thats where we differ, cant speak for other fans
Yh I get that view point I guess i would change my view on James if Diallo and/or Pellestri come in and are amazing but we'll have to wait and see there. As it stands we are definitely light in that area.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

Hmmm I wonder why that could be?

Maybe it’s because he’s not a RW but is being judged as one? Maybe it’s because when he’s playing out of position he’s receiving no support?

I think he’s a good player. Where he ends up is debatable but he certainly warrants a squad place

Cassidy

Hmmm I wonder why that could be?

Maybe it’s because he’s not a RW but is being judged as one? Maybe it’s because when he’s playing out of position he’s receiving no support?

I think he’s a good player. Where he ends up is debatable but he certainly warrants a squad place
Hes been poor for us on either wing. If he shows better then all good. Greenwood isnt a RW either, neither is Mata

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Think he'll get another game tonight after his performance at the weekend but I don't think it'll suit him. Tight pitch and Everton aren't as brainless as Leeds.

Foxbatt

Can he put Trent Alexander Arnold under pressure with his pace? Who is faster?

Leicester 2:2 Man Utd

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
As i said last year. New Lingard (but even worse). One good game then and there and people will start to talk about how he is good squad player, movement and hard work.
In reality he is not even PL player. Last player who was clearly this much out of depth was Bebe

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
As i said last year. New Lingard (but even worse). One good game then and there and people will start to talk about how he is good squad player, movement and hard work.
In reality he is not even PL player. Last player who was clearly this much out of depth was Bebe
Yep. If he's a squad player, then you have a problem with your squad. He doesn't belong in the premier League.

Lewnited

All i can say is that I really hope Diallo and Pellestri kick on so we can see the back of this guy. I can, within reason, defend the selection of almost anyone in our squad at times... but he just has no quality.

SAFMUTD

Is anybody surprised he had a shitty game again? The more we play him the harder it will be to move him on. I hope he's on really low wages otherwise were stuck him him.

Robaldo

He helped with the first goal; more than you can expect from Dan James - which in itself says enough.

Idxomer

People went overboard last game where he displayed his usual moments of bad decision-making but that went ignored because of the goal.

Red_toad

Very poor performance, that should see him sidelined once more. Looked like he’d lost 2 yards of pace so was very ineffective.

sammyhol

Poor decision to start him
this... it’s not his fault he is not good enough..

it’s Oles fault for starting him.

because it worked against a man marking Leeds side who left acres in behind...

which we knew Leicester were never gonna do. If fans can anticipate this, why can’t Ole?!

he shouldn’t be making the 23, let alone starting against 2nd in the league away from home.

Status
Not open for further replies.