Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Four goals in 617 minutes this season versus four goals in 1607 minutes for his main competition for the right flank! Not sure anyone saw this coming at the start of the season.

Ekeke

Arr you honestly doubting his pace vs Martial and Greenwood? When was the last time you saw Martial win a foot race over 20 yards? Greenwood lost a race to a defender yesterday that James flew past as if he wasn’t there. Look at his speed for when Bruno put him through. Rashford might make a case for himself, but even then James would beat him. Rashford, and particularly Martial, are much stronger though, so they are better at shrugging off players. If a defender manages to make contact with James, he usually struggles.
How do you know he would beat him? James is smaller, his legs move faster covering the same distance. When did James race past the same defender Greenwood lost to? I'll rewatch that if you let me know

lex talionis

Ricky also claimed Martial was the best player for United against Sheffield United. He makes interesting points but his agendas are mind boggling.
Fukkin hell. James put in a fine performance in the second half yesterday but no way was he MOTM in any match I’ve ever seen him play for United.

That said, I actually wouldn’t mind keeping him for another season. He has his uses in the right situations.

Rossa

How do you know he would beat him? James is smaller, his legs move faster covering the same distance. When did James race past the same defender Greenwood lost to? I'll rewatch that if you let me know
Either for his goal or his chance when Bruno put him through - a run neither Martial or Greenwood have the speed for.
Also, Ole said James was five yards ahead of any other player in the team for a short sprint test. Giggs said he is the fastest player he has ever seen, including a young him. Furthermore, I only need to use my eyes to see he is the fastest in our team. On a long run, Bailly might give him a run for his money and Rashford not long behind. Martial has admitted Rashford is faster than himself, and that was before when Martial actually did bother to run.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Great squad player. Glad he’s had some time away as him bring in the first team a lot last year surely wasn’t part of the plan.

Viral United

Very good game.
I hope he plays more game, surly he can't be more bad than some of our attacker's performance in past few games.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Very good game.
I hope he plays more game, surly he can't be more bad than some of our attacker's performance in past few games.
He’s the right player against teams who like to play high up the pitch. Sociedad were.clearly intimidated by his pace. He could play well against defensively minded sides but we’d have to play him in cleverly

SAFMUTD

Four goals in 617 minutes this season versus four goals in 1607 minutes for his main competition for the right flank! Not sure anyone saw this coming at the start of the season.
Some perspective on those goals would help:

Istanbul the 4-1 at 90+1'
Leeds the 5-1 at 66'
Southampton the 9-0 at the 90+2'
Real Sociedad 4-0 at 90'

Basically just garbage time goals when teams have gaved up.

Viral United

He’s the right player against teams who like to play high up the pitch. Sociedad were.clearly intimidated by his pace. He could play well against defensively minded sides but we’d have to play him in cleverly
Well if having him in team means Rashford can play on left than it will be huge benefit for our team play.
Don't mind I know he is a squad player but looking at Martial and Greenwood's form right now, I think it would not a bad idea to start him.

Also I think (I might be wrong) he is better crosser on ball then any of our forward bar Bruno.
Last season so many times I though if we have striker who has better understanding of positional play we could have score more goals.
Now we have Cavani so it could work.

LovelyLittlePanda

Supports
Feyenoord
@GifLord any chance you can post a gif of James sprinting to keep a ball in at 22:40 vs sociedad? I think he got flashed for speeding there.

Raven

Agreed I think he’s quite a reliable finisher. I’d of fancied him to of scored some of the chances Rashford missed.

He was excellent yesterday.
Yeah, I'd say he's probably a better finisher than Rashford. I have a feeling the way he megged the keeper was intentional.

Ekeke

Either for his goal or his chance when Bruno put him through - a run neither Martial or Greenwood have the speed for.
Also, Ole said James was five yards ahead of any other player in the team for a short sprint test. Giggs said he is the fastest player he has ever seen, including a young him. Furthermore, I only need to use my eyes to see he is the fastest in our team. On a long run, Bailly might give him a run for his money and Rashford not long behind. Martial has admitted Rashford is faster than himself, and that was before when Martial actually did bother to run.
https://www.manutd.com/en/news/detail/opta-confirm-united-player-is-fastest-in-premier-league

https://www.manutd.com/en/news/deta...n-utd-player-in-premier-league-season-so-far#

James features heavily here with Rashford topping him

https://www.manutd.com/en/news/detail/opta-data-highlights-the-fastest-player-at-man-utd-this-season

So it looks like overall its Rashford and James. However... Someone used to beat Rashford...

https://www.manutd.com/en/news/detail/who-was-the-fastest-man-utd-player-in-2017-18

But most recently?

https://www.sportskeeda.com/football/10-fastest-players-premier-league/3

Greenwood 3rd in the league as of september 2020

https://www.sportskeeda.com/football/10-fastest-players-premier-league/2

AWB 5th this season

https://www.sportskeeda.com/football/10-fastest-players-premier-league

And Fred 9th this season

https://www.planetfootball.com/quic...e-premier-league-in-2019-20-traore-greenwood/

So the stats would suggest Fosu-Mensah, AWB, Fred, Greenwood and Rashford are faster or as fast

Last edited:

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Some perspective on those goals would help:

Istanbul the 4-1 at 90+1'
Leeds the 5-1 at 66'
Southampton the 9-0 at the 90+2'
Real Sociedad 4-0 at 90'

Basically just garbage time goals when teams have gaved up.
Hi Scrooge! Bet you’re fun at parties

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Stats from PL games will obviously be biased in favour of players that play a lot of games. The more game you play the more opportunities to improve your PB. It’s probably relatively infrequent for any footballer to absolutely bust his guts to run as fast as he can, which will need to be over a reasonable distance too. The vast majority of time they’ll either be sprinting slightly within themselves or over short distances.

USREDEVIL

Feck it. I like him. Bit of a direct player but sometimes that's needed. Run at those feckers none of this pass the ball around nonsense!

USREDEVIL

Hi Scrooge! Bet you’re fun at parties
There really isn't any such things as garbage goals. Goal difference can be huge in the EPL and it's extremely important in back to back ties. We can now essentially rest most of our starting 11 next game. Maybe he's not Scrooge but Oscar the Grouch and loves garbage though.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
He earned the right to go for goal. He scored ...end of.
if you’re that desperate for amad to score you’re in the wrong thread
I'm not desperate for Amad to score I want the forwards to consistently make intelligent decisions. This is why Liverpool and City have been so good for the last number of years. The decisions in the final third.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Half trolling half being serious. The finish was quite lucky though and a much more intelligent decision would have been to square it.
It was a decent finish. Slotted through the keepers legs. He’s actually proven himself to be a decent finisher. Doesn’t miss many one on ones. So can’t see the problem with backing himself there.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
He has done well but to me this is the difference between how teams used to play against us last season in the PL vs this season. Sociedad played against us the way teams used to attack us.

Teams used to have a go at us and attack us which helped us counter in acres of space. This has stopped and teams sit back more dense in defence which has made it harder for players like Greenwood and Martial to be as creative or productive this season.

As much as Daniel James is a nice player, i don't think he is all that productice against teams that sit back and defend against us. If it's up against a team that give us the space to attack to then in all honesty as much as James can be useful; I dont see what more he brings that Rashford, Martial, Greenwood and Amad couldn't do maybe more than a bit of extra deadly pace.

Happy for him though and I am happy to be wrong one day if he keeps progressing.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I'm not desperate for Amad to score I want the forwards to consistently make intelligent decisions. This is why Liverpool and City have been so good for the last number of years. The decisions in the final third.
While I agree with the latter the reference on this case is churlish.

Zoo

Ole made a good point about his increased productivity recently and how he’s backing himself more now instead of trying to play an early ball with the move breaking down, as happened way too often last season.

If he can maintain this then he absolutely has a future here as a squad player.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Gets some undeserved abuse on this forum at times - chuffed to see him get a goal on Thursday. Think people forget how much talent and promise he showed in his first few games for us. There's a decent player in him, maybe not world class but certainly a player who'd probably be great off the bench and won't be a dick about it.

We need as many players possible playing well during the latter stages of the season. That's why City are doing as well as they are - because they are finding more players picking up form mid/end of season.

Rossa

Wes Morgan was among the 20 fastest players in the league according to similar stats. It only shows a clocked top speed, not how long they can keep it. Fun to read, but you must be mad if you think Martial is faster than Rashford and James. TFM is rapid btw.

Ekeke

Wes Morgan was among the 20 fastest players in the league according to similar stats. It only shows a clocked top speed, not how long they can keep it. Fun to read, but you must be mad if you think Martial is faster than Rashford and James. TFM is rapid btw.
Even with the stats Martial isnt on there. So that would only further confirm that he's not as fast as these guys.

Shaw missing is the one I'm more intrigued by, but particularly when its game by game like the Rashford and James ones it's about who gets the room to reach top speed in a sprint and that would tend to be an attacking player probably going down the wing.

Shaw has looked back to his fastest this season, these stats are before the new year so maybe he'd be on it now

lex talionis

I like the fact that James took the shot. A bit ballsy on his part. A boost of confidence that he converted on the finish after a poor finish earlier in the match.

Rossa

Even with the stats Martial isnt on there. So that would only further confirm that he's not as fast as these guys.

Shaw missing is the one I'm more intrigued by, but particularly when its game by game like the Rashford and James ones it's about who gets the room to reach top speed in a sprint and that would tend to be an attacking player probably going down the wing.

Shaw has looked back to his fastest this season, these stats are before the new year so maybe he'd be on it now
Shaw has a convincing top speed for sure, just ask Salah whom Shaw constantly outpaces. I just had to check, and in James’ last season with Swansea, he clocked more than 36km/h, level with Mbappe.

I still think the metric is more entertaining than value as it only record a split second top speed, but not the distance it was kept. Nobody thinks that Wes Morgan was faster than most PL attackers. Adama Traore never features on these lists, but you don’t have to watch him much to say he is faster than Greenwood or Martial. In fact, I’d argue that pace, in particular acceleration, is a little weakness for Greenwood. Long term it may prove beneficial, as he doesn’t grow reliant on it, but he isn’t rapid.

I still struggle to see how you think Martial and Greenwood are as fast as James. Did you see Giflord’s video of James’ sprint above?

Idxomer

Maybe it's a one for the weird feelings thread but Martial looks slower to me with each passing season.

Red00012

Shaw did a ask a question on Sky this week , he said in 100 metres James is the fastest followed by Rashford and Axel he also said he was on a par with them but I’m not sure was he joking about or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.