5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Devil81

Looking at the youth coming through the ranks I think James will become redundant next season if he's still at the club, just don't see any competition other than the League cup where he could be trusted in games.

Lentwood

I think Dan James has definitely been a useful squad player as we have transitioned but now would be the perfect time to sell.

We had Greenwood, Pogba, Rashford, Amad, Martial and Elanga who can all play wide. James’ stock is still fairly high so we should be able to get £30m from a team like Leeds, who to be fair I think would suit him down to the ground.

The issue we have at Utd is we don’t sell quickly enough and players’ values fall as they are restricted to a few sub appearances.

Krits

Theres always one player at our club who is clearly not good enough but whoever the manager is at the time, they stick with them constantly. It keeps happening.

Anderson, Cleverly, Fellaini. Theres always someone.
I think it has to do with needing players who will put the shape of the team and effort before their own output. I can see why ole uses James. It lets him push people forward on the other flank and cause overloads. But, I think his basics aren’t good enough to keep that role. He isn’t a liability defensively which lets him hover around the team. Once the more skilled players become as dependable as him in their defensive aspects. I don’t think he will be around much.

But every team needs grifters. James just doesn’t cut it to play that role.

Red Royal

The miss yesterday was woeful, I was on edge of my seat when ball wad played by Amad till I realised it was James and just gelt he couldn't score. Would have hoped he hit it straight at keeper than drag it so wide.

Such a likeable lad, but not enough quality unfortunately.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
An absolute peach of a cross that even Beckham would be proud of, followed by a most ridiculously bad finish.

I hope Ole absolutely slaughtered him for that, just put it in the bloody corner! 3-1 would have taken all the pressure off.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Think we should sell him if we get Sancho.

Sancho, Rashford, Greenwood, Amad would be our wing options next year.

We will get decent money as well.

Gandalf

I will not go that far because i do think that he can be very useful for some low table clubs. But worst United player in Pl era? Yes. (Bebe and Obertan included).
Sorry but you are just taking the piss here. I could build a starting XI and full subs bench of worse Utd players of the PL era. Butner, Eagles, Taibi I mean the list goes on of players who were objectively much worse than Dan.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Sorry but you are just taking the piss here. I could build a starting XI and full subs bench of worse Utd players of the PL era. Butner, Eagles, Taibi I mean the list goes on of players who were objectively much worse than Dan.
I think this is fair to be honest...he’s still shite though.

crossy1686

career ending
He was okay playing on the left, maybe he'll be back up for Rashford in the coming seasons. He's got United 'lifer written all over him because he know's he's won the lottery. He can do a job I guess and we need players that can do a job every now and again. Not every player needs to be a game winner.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I will not go that far because i do think that he can be very useful for some low table clubs. But worst United player in Pl era? Yes. (Bebe and Obertan included).
That's nonsense tbf. He isn't worse than Bebe or Obertan who couldn't even run without falling over. Then you have players like Chris Eagles and other players who were not good enough to be in PL.

Polar

Looking at the youth coming through the ranks I think James will become redundant next season if he's still at the club, just don't see any competition other than the League cup where he could be trusted in games.
If only James had better final touch. His end product is ridiculous:wenger: Not the easiest thing to improve.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Gets an assist and should have had a goal. always works his ass off and is happy to be a squad player. I get people not liking his game or his style or wanting an upgrade but calling him the worst player we’ve had in the PL era has got to be one of the worst posts I’ve seen on here.

Foxbatt

What a beautiful cross. Even Beck's would have been proud of that. Then that miss. I think he tried to be too clever for the miss.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
That's nonsense tbf. He isn't worse than Bebe or Obertan who couldn't even run without falling over. Then you have players like Chris Eagles and other players who were not good enough to be in PL.
I should have been more clear about it. I meant about players who played regulary (more or less). So Bebe was wrong comparism. Obertan had some games (far from being regular of course).

What can i say? I am sorry if i am being a complete prick towards players like James, Hendo or McT (i know i am and i am sorry about that) . I don't dislike lads (like some people think here on Caf. If you dislike a player as a player, you hate him or something) but i am just sucker for skill above all. And we are Man Utd. Players of Man Utd should not be average. No matter are they squad options or first 11 players

He's fine as a squad player and is effective in the right situation. We dont have the depth to think about moving him on just yet. Why is everybody fixated on that miss? We've seen players like Rashford miss absolute sitters like that plenty of times in the past.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I should have been more clear about it. I meant about players who played regulary (more or less). So Bebe was wrong comparism. Obertan had some games (far from being regular of course).

What can i say? I am sorry if i am being a complete prick towards players like James, Hendo or McT (i know i am and i am sorry about that) . I don't dislike lads (like some people think here on Caf. If you dislike a player as a player, you hate him or something) but i am just sucker for skill above all. And we are Man Utd. Players of Man Utd should not be average. No matter are they squad options or first 11 players
When was the last time Manutd squad players were not average?

We are ManUtd and ManUtd more often than not had average players as squad player but had SAF who was GOAT, so it didn't matter.

IMO he is average and we should sell him but lets not rewrite history. Bebe and Obertan are up there with the worst players in PL era.

Also we had average squad players but brilliant first team players, so when these players played, it was easy enough to carry them.

United in sin

A class below Elanga? Come on...

What a cross... Top 3 this season as far as United are concerned.
Elanga poses more of a threat to the opposition than James.

Amad already looks the better all round player too. James doesn't have a patch any of our attacking youth coming through at the moment and should be moved on

United in sin

He's fine as a squad player and is effective in the right situation. We dont have the depth to think about moving him on just yet. Why is everybody fixated on that miss? We've seen players like Rashford miss absolute sitters like that plenty of times in the past.
Please provide examples of Rashford missing 1v1s like that

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Who is going to buy him?
So that’s your rationale for saying he’s good enough to be a squad player here? That nobody else would see any value in him, but apparently, we, the team trying to win the league, should?

Silas

I think Dan James has definitely been a useful squad player as we have transitioned but now would be the perfect time to sell.

We had Greenwood, Pogba, Rashford, Amad, Martial and Elanga who can all play wide. James’ stock is still fairly high so we should be able to get £30m from a team like Leeds, who to be fair I think would suit him down to the ground.

The issue we have at Utd is we don’t sell quickly enough and players’ values fall as they are restricted to a few sub appearances.
£30m? Really? Why would he cost more now that he's come to the PL and done zilch than he did when he had higher stock at Swansea?

I can't see any PL team looking at James this season and thinking "We need that".

United in sin

You're kidding right? There's been dozens of 1v1s and open goals. You can find many on YouTube but here's one:
Is that the worst of the 'dozens'? It's nowhere near as bad as James feeble attempt at a chip which looked more like a blind pass to an invisible teammate.

Rashford has accomplished a lot at United, James is the one who should be taking his chances because those kids we played today are actually gifted and they're/will be breathing down his back

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
£30m? Really? Why would he cost more now that he's come to the PL and done zilch than he did when he had higher stock at Swansea?

I can't see any PL team looking at James this season and thinking "We need that".
Of course he has higher stock now, James Isa very decent player. This is like the hate lingard got until he went to west ham and showed how good he is.

SAFMUTD

He's a likeable player as long as he doesn't play much, that way we can keep the memory about his stamina and hard work.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Move him on asap. But knowing how we do things can expect a new contract for the lad soon.

Silas

Of course he has higher stock now, James Isa very decent player. This is like the hate lingard got until he went to west ham and showed how good he is.
I'm sure you're aware, but Lingard actually showed quality for a while when he was here, leading up to the Euros. Him at West Ham while amazing, isn't something that's completely new. What's James good at? Apart from being fast and hard working?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I'm sure you're aware, but Lingard actually showed quality for a while when he was here, leading up to the Euros. Him at West Ham while amazing, isn't something that's completely new. What's James good at? Apart from being fast and hard working?
James is a solid winger. He's not a top tier guy? But he's very decent as a squad player and has had big game performances for us to boot. If he does go, he'll go to a decent team like a Villa/Leeds. He's a decent passer, the pace is incredible, he runs all day, and is capable of getting a decent chunk of goals. That'll always be in demand.

GlasgowCeltic

Think he'll have to fall further down the league than Leeds and Villa, could see Dyche fancying him for his team of plodders

United in sin

James is a solid winger. He's not a top tier guy? But he's very decent as a squad player and has had big game performances for us to boot. If he does go, he'll go to a decent team like a Villa/Leeds. He's a decent passer, the pace is incredible, he runs all day, and is capable of getting a decent chunk of goals. That'll always be in demand.
All but one of his goals this season (against Newcastle) were in big wins at the stage where the opposition all but gave up.

Here is the breakdown of his 5 goals this season:

4-1 win against Basaksehir 2 minutes into stoppage time.

Scored in 66 minute against Leeds in our 6-2 win when we lead 5-1 and Leeds showed naviety by continuing to attack and leaving gaping holes at the back

Scored 3 mins into stoppage time in 9-0 win over Southampton

Scored in 90th minute in 0-4 win over Sociedad

Three of his four goals in his first season here were scored in the first month and he was played on despite a lack of goals and assists for long spells. Goals are goals but it's not like he's won us many points with his. He got two good assists against Liverpool and City, I'll give him credit for that

Gandalf

I think the decision on moving him on is going to come down to whether we keep Amad, Elanga and Pellistri around the first team squad next year or send them out on loan. The club may well feel that starting 30+ games elsewhere is better for their development than giving them 10 minutes here or there in dead games with a couple of starts in the Carabao. If they are loaned out then it makes sense to keep Dan as cover as he can play either flank but if they remain around the first team I just don't see him getting minutes.

Silas

Why would Villa or Leeds waste 30m on someone that isn't better than their current options, but costs more than them? He's nowhere near the level of their attackers, so at best he'd be a squad option again, which nobody's wasting 30m on.

I made sure to say, "apart from being fast and hard working" but of course they get mentioned again, come on. :lol: In two seasons in the prem (around 3200 mins, equivalent to almost a full season of 90min appearances) in one of the best teams in the country, he's scored a grand total of 6 goals. Is that really a decent chunk? Like @United in sin said, a lot of them come when we're cruising anyway. Can't agree with the passing either, he rarely shows any sort of ambition/creativity. Maybe a good cross every now and then. Or by decent do you mean the average you'd expect from a footballer?

TrustInOle

A solid cheap punt who helped us during this transition phase and had his moments, his goal on his debut still make me smile to this day and I would argue he is a much better crosser of the ball that people give him credit for. Was never really good enough to cement himself as a long term option but I think he will have a solid premier League career, like most, given the position we are in, the players we will be looking to bring in and the fact we have a lot of promising forward players coming through, I can see his time coming to an end this season, if not then definatley next.

Never got the hate for him, but then again never understood the hate some fans give our players based on their quality.

youngrell

A solid cheap punt who helped us during this transition phase and had his moments, his goal on his debut still make me smile to this day and I would argue he is a much better crosser of the ball that people give him credit for. Was never really good enough to cement himself as a long term option but I think he will have a solid premier League career, like most, given the position we are in, the players we will be looking to bring in and the fact we have a lot of promising forward players coming through, I can see his time coming to an end this season, if not then definatley next.

Never got the hate for him, but then again never understood the hate some fans give our players based on their quality.
I never understand the need of some posters to talk with such disdain about our players, some of the posts are really pathetic and reflects more on the posters themselves than the players, IMO.

I have found myself in this thread regularly defending James – not because I think he's great, but because I feel the level of hate he receives needs to be balanced out somewhat. We know he's not the required standard for our starting XI, but he puts in the required effort at the very least, and has contributed and shown quality numerous times.

You would swear he's falling over the ball or kicking it out to touch every time he receives it, the way some go on.

Marwood

He can cross a ball.

For some reasonn he just doesn't do it enough. If he just kept his game relatively simple, use that pace to get a yard and deliver quality, he'd have a proper role here.

But all too often he's going backwards and sidewards.

I think a lack of confidence in himself is the main problem. Just do what you're good at.

Polar

Why would Villa or Leeds waste 30m on someone that isn't better than their current options, but costs more than them? He's nowhere near the level of their attackers, so at best he'd be a squad option again, which nobody's wasting 30m on.

I made sure to say, "apart from being fast and hard working" but of course they get mentioned again, come on. :lol: In two seasons in the prem (around 3200 mins, equivalent to almost a full season of 90min appearances) in one of the best teams in the country, he's scored a grand total of 6 goals. Is that really a decent chunk? Like @United in sin said, a lot of them come when we're cruising anyway. Can't agree with the passing either, he rarely shows any sort of ambition/creativity. Maybe a good cross every now and then. Or by decent do you mean the average you'd expect from a footballer?
Remember Leeds rumours last year. Pretty sure they are interested if he becomes available. £20-25m is a fair price.

I don’t think we should keep James of squad depth reasons, but only if we believe he will be a world class RW. If we buy Sancho (very likely) it’s farewell to James. We should prioritise young talented backups: Greenwood, Diallo, Pellistri, Elanga.

Villareal 1:1 Man Utd

FahadiHossein

He needs to learn and evolve, especially he is already 23. He has to learn how to keep his game simple. He's too much of a 80s/90s style of winger who runs really quickly and presses the ball hard, but does not know what to do with the ball. My national league consists of wingers like him and I always say, "slow down. Look when your teammates are!" He's very redundant in big teams in modern football since there is a need to run behind the lines or make a decisive one-touch pass past a defensive block, but he will suit well under Sam Allarydce.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
If we sign Sancho we have to sell or loan him out, right? Specially if Pogba stays, but probably regardless?!

We will have Rashford, Sancho and Greenwood who will want games in the same position(s). Furthermore, we will probably try to give games to Amad and maybe even Shoretire and Mejbri. Pogba will likely also be an option higher up the pitch. Even if we use some of them through the middle (striker and option for Bruno) their will not be much minutes for James.

Status
Not open for further replies.