5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ace of Spades

Best game in a while. Needs to work on his finishing, and final ball, but he can improve those.

He can be a very good player if he develops well. His pace will always be handful for defenders.

Foxbatt

He can be coached to be better. He has to be taught when to pass and when to shoot. It is a team game so it does not matter who scores. He seems obsessed in trying to score goals. If that is drummed into him to pass he is going to be a good player.

Devil may care

Sharp first touch throughout, brainless in the first half, picked up his interplay in the second half, a performance he can hopefully build on.

Red00012

Shock as James plays well in the position he’s best suited to . Needs to improve on shooting etc but it was a decent performance from him.

Looked ok today running with the ball though Newcastle gave him loads of space because they were far more worried about Rashford. Something needs to change in his shooting, think it's a combination of poor technique and lack of composure. Just put your foot through it, I'd rather it go over than see another pea-roller down the keeper's throat. Best performance from him in a while though, do think he needs a goal just to calm down and believe he can contribute in this team again

redDNA

Supports
Enyimba FC of Aba
Had a fairly good game,he should be told to keep it simple, do the basics and pass more,seemed to be trying had to score, and it made him to be anxious which is not good for a player.

Needs to work on his shooting and needs to add more guile
His movement was predictable. Hope this game gave him the confidence he needed.

Robbie Boy

Find it quite funny people praising him today. I thought he was bang average yet again and we got better when he went off
He was bang average as he's unfortunately a bang average player. He's 'better' on the left which is feint praise given how bad he is on the right.

manunited1919

Looked ok today running with the ball though Newcastle gave him loads of space because they were far more worried about Rashford. Something needs to change in his shooting, think it's a combination of poor technique and lack of composure. Just put your foot through it, I'd rather it go over than see another pea-roller down the keeper's throat. Best performance from him in a while though, do think he needs a goal just to calm down and believe he can contribute in this team again
Maybe not just composure but confidence he lacks. Whenever Ole has been able to give him a chance has been at RW, where he has been terrible. Perhaps our LW needs to be rotated a bit more in the Cup games to give him the opportunity to play at his best position.

jesperjaap

Find it quite funny people praising him today. I thought he was bang average yet again and we got better when he went off
I agree, actually think that of a few players got lauded today. WOnder if it would have been the same, had we not scored three in the last 5minutes and drew the game?

As for James, doesnt matter if he plays on the left or right, he simply offers nothing creative going forward as he doesnt have football intelligence and he also doesnt have good technical ability, he simply has pace and even that he isnt using intelligently. Quite simply he really isnt good enough and for me is only use to us is as an impact player from the bench late in a game when it opens up where there is more space to use his pace without having to be clever. His only saving grace whatsoever in my opinion, is he isnt a bad finisher, even though he hasnt even shown that for some time, clearly lacking confidence

Foxbatt

These things can be coached by pour coaches. This is why I say our coaching has been poor. He should be coached when to pass and when to shoot. When to make those runs. He should be told that his job is not a striker but a creator of goals. And also where to put his crosses or passes. These things are done in training. He is not a Sunday pub player but an International player.

laughtersassassin

Best game in a while but that isnt saying much and his end product is beyond bad. Would think if Mason had played the game would have been wrapped up earlier.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
These things can be coached by pour coaches. This is why I say our coaching has been poor. He should be coached when to pass and when to shoot. When to make those runs. He should be told that his job is not a striker but a creator of goals. And also where to put his crosses or passes. These things are done in training. He is not a Sunday pub player but an International player.
There is very minimal structural plans made in attack within this team. Off the ball movements are heavily reliant on individuals whims rather than an actual script. This leaves players like James (who has no natural footballer brain) clueless to behave creatively. He instead produces the chop fest attempt at football that he normally gives us. Today was an outlier performance on his end as he looked inspired and awkwardly creative in the initiatives he took.

With no structural set ups well continue to be disappointed by James.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
Solid performance and really admirable bounce back attitude. You can tell he's still 3 or 4 years away from being actual PL broken-in as a player but good to see him really fighting in games like today. Never gave in.

It’s all about the coaching. How many time can you get the word coaching into your first two sentences? Bloody coaches, if only our coaching was better (even though I have no barometer to measure it by), overnight every player would be better. Pesky coaches, not coaching properly. Given how bad our armchair fans think our coaching is, I’m thinking of turning my hand to some coaching. I don’t know anything about coaching, but I must be a better coach than our current coaches, Because people on the internet say with absolute certainty that their coaching just is not up to standard, and we should have better coaches, coaching our players.

Morpheus 7

I really must have been watching a different game to some in here. He was awful again, not near the level for United.
Decision making, final ball and shooting terrible. We had so much space in that game and he offered nothing, again. No coincidence that we scored 3 when he was subbed for Donny. There are levels in football and he's not good enough to play for United. He's 23 next month not 17 and some are on about coaching, to learn how to kick the ball ha ha. Loan and cash in, the lad is out of his depth.

ex and

Apart from the first half dozen matches, when we thought he would be a very good player. Since then nothing, today he shot when he should have passed and passed when he should have shot. He should have been subbed at least 20 minutes earlier.

Robbie Boy

Sometimes you just have to call it when a player blatantly isn't good enough, and James is far from being good enough. No amount of coaching from the likes of Klopp or Pep would get a tune out of him. He lacks the very basics which can't be coached.

Last edited:

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He’s like Pereira, if he just used his eyes and brain he’d probably be 10 times the player. For someone with his shooting ability and goal record he has no business being that greedy.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
It’s all about the coaching. How many time can you get the word coaching into your first two sentences? Bloody coaches, if only our coaching was better (even though I have no barometer to measure it by), overnight every player would be better. Pesky coaches, not coaching properly. Given how bad our armchair fans think our coaching is, I’m thinking of turning my hand to some coaching. I don’t know anything about coaching, but I must be a better coach than our current coaches, Because people on the internet say with absolute certainty that their coaching just is not up to standard, and we should have better coaches, coaching our players.
I blame the coaching and patterns of play

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
He’s the kind of player I’d expect West Ham to sign an then gave their fan base moan about how shit he is.

We should have kept Chong and shipped this guy out.

RUCK4444

He’s like Pereira, if he just used his eyes and brain he’d probably be 10 times the player. For someone with his shooting ability and goal record he has no business being that greedy.
He’s no doubt trying to please the fans who look down their noses at him.

Thought he was a touch better today, more direct, as you say some poor decision making but he can improve.

ForeverRed1

Not against having him in squad, he can be handy against certain teams, coming on with fresh legs. He’s just not starter quality. Not for lack of trying, just not there yet.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
He was not supposed to be a starter, his low transfer fee alone should tell that.
Ideally in important games he is brought on for the remaining 15-20 minutes when we are leading and plays more minutes in cup games. A good option to have in the squad.
But because we have / had a paper thin attack he ended up playing more.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I really must have been watching a different game to some in here. He was awful again, not near the level for United.
Decision making, final ball and shooting terrible. We had so much space in that game and he offered nothing, again. No coincidence that we scored 3 when he was subbed for Donny. There are levels in football and he's not good enough to play for United. He's 23 next month not 17 and some are on about coaching, to learn how to kick the ball ha ha. Loan and cash in, the lad is out of his depth.
I believe he's getting praised not being absolutely awful which is strange. He was neat and tidy today as compared to a bot aimlessly running into opponents but surely this isn't what we need from one of our front three? I thought the role of one of the wide players was to drop inside and create and the other hand to hurt teams out wide and in behind. Other than Rashford he was the only attacker who had pace. But all he did was pop it about neatly and keep moves going. Which for me shouldn't be enough. I don't really see how he's s starter. I hope the two 18 year olds settle down quickly so that these opportunities can be given to them instead.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
I believe he's getting praised not being absolutely awful which is strange. He was neat and tidy today as compared to a bot aimlessly running into opponents but surely this isn't what we need from one of our front three? I thought the role of one of the wide players was to drop inside and create and the other hand to hurt teams out wide and in behind. Other than Rashford he was the only attacker who had pace. But all he did was pop it about neatly and keep moves going. Which for me shouldn't be enough. I don't really see how he's s starter. I hope the two 18 year olds settle down quickly so that these opportunities can be given to them instead.
Yub. He was OK and his OK performance was probably his best all year. Same as with Lingard, when he plays OK he doesn't get hurled abuse on here.

It definitely is not enough. I'd rather wish James wasn't here so Ole couldn't possibly be put in the position to play him because he might have one of those 6-7 good games he's had here. Should be much easier to offload James unlike some of the other players in his club.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Yub. He was OK and his OK performance was probably his best all year. Same as with Lingard, when he plays OK he doesn't get hurled abuse on here.

It definitely is not enough. I'd rather wish James wasn't here so Ole couldn't possibly be put in the position to play him because he might have one of those 6-7 good games he's had here. Should be much easier to offload James unlike some of the other players in his club.
I guess the main question with players who don't appear to be good enough is whether the manager rates them. Someone like Periera was inexplicably given a proper 1st team place in the team which turned into a bit of a joke but at least Ole realised he wasn't up the task rather than giving him some backup place in the team be wasn't good enough for either. I'd do the same with James. I'd rather have a youngster on the bench who can beat a defender or two.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
I guess the main question with players who don't appear to be good enough is whether the manager rates them. Someone like Periera was inexplicably given a proper 1st team place in the team which turned into a bit of a joke but at least Ole realised he wasn't up the task rather than giving him some backup place in the team be wasn't good enough for either. I'd do the same with James. I'd rather have a youngster on the bench who can beat a defender or two.
I think if a club came with a decent offer for James we'd sell. Maybe he's a decent in training and like I said before, you'd hope as the manager that he will have a good game like he's shown he's had before. Problem is he rarely does so he can't be relied upon. Also we have Martial banned, Cavani not ready, younger players not ready and Greenwood injured. James started by default sort of although Ole could well have started Donny instead. Maybe it was James' last chance or maybe there's something personal. Hard to gauge from where we sit.

Arka_BleedingRed

An absolutely nothing player, certainly not worthy of starting, not even good enough for a backup role. A forward player who hasn't had a Pl goal for more than a year. Poor decisions and lack of football intelligence, mediocre passer, lame shots. Most of our attacks broke down with him, with Fernandes getting pissed with him.

RashyForPM

I love this kid. He has a brilliant attitude and works hard. He has to improve his end product though.

Andersonson

Very lively. He is rapid!!

Some nice play with Rashford and Mata that looked very futsal-ish.

Needs to bulk up his legs though, he got no power in his shooting.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
I was quite nervous watching the game today, so didnt really study his off the ball movements, how was he tracking back and covering passing lanes?

CG1010

He is one of those players who do the hard work right but miss out on the simple things that complete the move. Unfortunately there have been far too many tricky pacey wingers with no end product in the PL for me to realistically consider that he'd be able to improve that aspect. He would probably be a good move for a lower end league side.

Shiva87

Agree with all of that. The Bruno goal doesn't get scored with him on the pitch. Bruno played better in 10 mins as a LW than James did all game. Just look at the run Bruno made for the goal. No chance James does that. He will be behind Rashford and trying to get to the penalty spot, overcrowding the middle.

Having said that, I think this was his best game for a while given how poor he has been. Shooting was abysmal but at least he looked to be able to beat a man with the ball at his feet.

twitter thread suggester
He was definitely better than what we have seen in a while. But given all the space he got he really should have had a bigger impact. He is good at running with the ball, that is pretty much it. His technique, link-up play and end product is below average.

dogwithabone

Much better. Just needs to calm down a bit though with his desperation to score. He had two or three powder puff shots when team mates were in far better positions - particularly one in the first half when Mata was free to his left.

He has got a long way to go but yesterday was more promising.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Thing is he looked really dangerous in the first half when he was running at that Newcastle defence but you just know he’s not got the quality to really hurt them with the space he creates. He’s not a useless player but I just think that final bit of quality will always be missing.

Faetheshire86

The stick he gets is ridiculous. He has been mostly poor for us, but I still think/hope he can develop in to a useful squad player.

I like his attitude, if anything he is probably trying too hard, which is why we see so many shots off defenders legs. A goal or two would definitely settle him down. But the more desperate he gets, the worse his decision making becomes.

AndyMUFC

He looked much more confident yesterday and is much better coming in from the left.

His end product needs improvement but that could still come.

Status
Not open for further replies.