5.5 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

SATA

Poor Dan James. I wouldn't want to be him reading this thread. But then he's living a life better than us and earning very decent wages at the club

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Ole has shown himself to be risk averse to an almost frustrating degree, but with nothing left to lose I don't see how we don't give Amad minutes tbh. There is absolutely nothing to be gained from continuing with James and ignoring Amad when the league positions have already been decided.
I don't think the league positions are decided just yet, we look favourites to gain runner up spot, but there are still 5 games to go.
I agree that Ole seems very reluctant to give Amad some minutes for the first team, and sometimes his team selections are a little strange. In my opinion Amad would have had a far more positive effect on our forward play than Dan James did. James is a terrific little worker, with the occasional burst of skill, but he does seem to lack the knowhow and awareness to be a first team squad player. I'm not one who criticises our players generally, but Dan, for me, is not quite up there in quality, and with Amad, Pellestri and Elanga coming through, I don't see a terrific future for him at OT.
I do hope we win Europa League, so Dan can have a medal to look at and be proud of with his time at United.

Devil81

Boy playing with men. Everything about him is so tame and timid in addition to him just not being technically anywhere near good enough.
100% this.

The whole body language and expressions aren't that of a confident top level footballer, it's almost like they've taken a kid from a field who's pretty good and given him a run out.

There was pass out to Greenwood in the first half that was so pathetic it could have easily been Sunday league standard, the ball broke to him so he tried to help the ball on down the line for Greenwood but didn't get anywhere near enough on the ball and it tamely made it's way to Greenwood who then got clattered because he was having to wait for the pass.

And also the second half when the ball was squared to him in the box, everyone could see you just put your foot through it but he tried to control it and lost it.

Nowhere near good enough for United, actually think it's painful watching him play for us.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
He's good at getting fouled and defensively decent. But his end product really isn't good.

Diallo will over take him in pre season and that will be that. We'll use him for the high intensity games when we need a little more defensive cover and that'll be it.

drdoityourself

Some excuse his performances by the fact he gets constantly fouled. For me he looks so lost for confidence and probably ability that his endgame is winning a free kick. When he receives the ball he is not really thinking he can create something meaningful, he's looking for a way out and that's getting his body infront of an incoming defender and falling to the ground.

Lingard's last few years here were full of this, just looking for a free kick, not really trusting himself to contribute on a more meaningful note.

He will also be excused by saying Rashford and Greenwood were just as bad. I just feel you are only as good as your weakest link, and when the front three is so lost for threat on one flank the focus on actual defending can go to the other two. And when one of them is not really looking to create anything it's less likely the others can benefit. Cavani wouldn't have scored that goal against Spurs if it were James and not Greenwood for instance.

Our defense has become good enough to cope and Wan Bissaka is rarely troubled when attacked down that flank, we already have two holding midfielders, a front three player picked for defensive output is massive overkill.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Same problem Donny has had at times, he needs to believe in himself. You can't play for Man Utd if you aren't willing to take a chance on yourself when playing as an attacker, particularly when we don't play with 2 strikers - the wide men and no.10 have to score.

largelyworried

I've never been convinced James was good enough for us, but he's still a fair player. At United, every time you play you have to perform, and that's above his level unfortunately. But his hard work, pace and the ability to have good moments from time to time will make him a valuable addition at a mid-table club.

Rossa

Poor yesterday, but was he worse than Rashford? Our wingplay isn't very good. That being said, tat aoili fella should have been sent off for his second yellow for a tactical foul (one of 500) on James just before James was replaced. Disgraceful refereeing yesterday, again.

Gandalf

I will always stick up for Dan, he has overachieved relative to his potential and ability and it's probably fair to say that the 3 goals in his first 4 games created an unrealistic level of expectation that he could never live up to. Had he been quietly introduced as a squad player and been mainly used from the bench last year I don't think he would have become a better player but the amount of vitriol and negativity aimed at him would be a fraction of what it is at this point.

That said, even as a fellow Welshman, I do think his time here is drawing to a close. Amad is waiting in the wings and Pellistri seems to be doing pretty well during his loan spell, add to that the potential for another attacking signing in the summer and the probable introduction of Elanga to the first team squad next season and it is hard to see where Dan will get minutes. I hope Ole is straight with him and I would love to see him get a move in the summer, he would be a nailed on starter at a club like Palace or Southampton. In the meantime I am not going to hate the boy for not being something he is not and when he leaves I will be happy for him and will remember the beautiful moment when the star struck kid who had just lost his father scored on his debut and celebrated in the most cathartic fashion with the fans of this amazing club.

Godfather

Ole has shown himself to be risk averse to an almost frustrating degree, but with nothing left to lose I don't see how we don't give Amad minutes tbh. There is absolutely nothing to be gained from continuing with James and ignoring Amad when the league positions have already been decided.
Couldn't agree more.

eltigreFalcao

I'm not looking to throw negativity at him, the boy is lively and should be very happy about what has he achieved. But he is evidently out of his depth, he is nowhere near good enough for Manchester United. Watching the match vs Leeds yesterday I couldn't help but think how much better is he suited to play a team like Leeds. It speaks bad about Ole picking him up in the starting XI so much. He does not bring what we need from a starting player in a position we've been historically poor. He has overachieved and kudos to him, now move on to a more suitable environment and let's improve on the right hand side of the attack.

hungrywing

I will always stick up for Dan, he has overachieved relative to his potential and ability and it's probably fair to say that the 3 goals in his first 4 games created an unrealistic level of expectation that he could never live up to. Had he been quietly introduced as a squad player and been mainly used from the bench last year I don't think he would have become a better player but the amount of vitriol and negativity aimed at him would be a fraction of what it is at this point.

That said, even as a fellow Welshman, I do think his time here is drawing to a close. Amad is waiting in the wings and Pellistri seems to be doing pretty well during his loan spell, add to that the potential for another attacking signing in the summer and the probable introduction of Elanga to the first team squad next season and it is hard to see where Dan will get minutes. I hope Ole is straight with him and I would love to see him get a move in the summer, he would be a nailed on starter at a club like Palace or Southampton. In the meantime I am not going to hate the boy for not being something he is not and when he leaves I will be happy for him and will remember the beautiful moment when the star struck kid who had just lost his father scored on his debut and celebrated in the most cathartic fashion with the fans of this amazing club.
Cue inspirational music.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
He needs a loan, I'd be happy having him next season for us tbh as we lack real pace on the right in final third.

I imagine you'll offer him to most of the bottom half on loan for next season, Bielsa was desperate to sign him two years ago so Leeds might be interested aswell.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
He’s a good player but not for title challenger squad. Europa League clubs is his level at best and we should move on. He’s done the best he can do here and I also think Ole has done well to use him. Few times he managed to make James crucial in the game but at the end there is limit where the player can reach.

I think he is one of the player we need to move on and replace. Mainly because I see him as our squad player right now and when I compare him to Chelsea and City bench, I don’t think he’s on the same level or better than what they have.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
I so sometimes get these reality checks, like watching Dan James yesterday then watching the City game after where they have Mahrez and wondering what on earth we think we’re playing at?

Fahad Jawaid

He was again awful yesterday. He had two great chances to score yesterday but he managed to mess them up due to his poor first touch. In the first instance he either leaves the ball for Bruno or takes a better first touch to get the ball ahead of him and gets a shot away, He manages to do nothing.

Second, there was another moment in which Rashford passed to James in the middle of the goal, and he had a clear sight of goal, but due to another poor touch the ball was left behind him and their LB took the ball of him. I was soo certain if it was any other attacker from our side it was a goal for Utd.

These two instances are from a single game, where a better touch would have led to clear goal scoring opportunities. Does anybody think in crucial CPL or matches against top 6 sides, you get the opportunities to mess up two goal scoring chances due to poor first touch.

It has been clear since he joined Utd that technically, he is a level below our first team and even squad level. He is still very raw for a 23 year old, he plays like a 17 year old, he looks lost on the field. He has no strength, no passing ability, due to his poor technical ability, he is unable to combine with players and he is always looking down, never has his head up, which is a poor trait for a professional footballer, as it is drilled into players from early age to have awareness and play with head up.

Lastly can somebody explain me what is he good at, because he can't beat a player from standing position, plus he does not appear to beat them with his kick and run style either. On top of my head there are all these teams that have better players as compared to James and I am not counting the obvious ones (City, Spurs, Chelsea and Pool);
Leicester (Barnes, Perez)
Everton (Richarlson)
Westham (Bowen, Lingard)
Arsenal (Saka, Martenelli)
Wolves (Traore and Neto)
Palace (Zaha)
Burnley (Mcneil)
Newcastle (Saint Maxim)
Fulham (Lookman)

For the love of God just sign a proper RW. I don't mind if we can't sign Sancho, just get somebody on the wing, if Newcastle goes down, i hope we try our best for Saint Maxim.

Marnsky68

He was again awful yesterday. He had two great chances to score yesterday but he managed to mess them up due to his poor first touch. In the first instance he either leaves the ball for Bruno or takes a better first touch to get the ball ahead of him and gets a shot away, He manages to do nothing.

Second, there was another moment in which Rashford passed to James in the middle of the goal, and he had a clear sight of goal, but due to another poor touch the ball was left behind him and their LB took the ball of him. I was soo certain if it was any other attacker from our side it was a goal for Utd.

These two instances are from a single game, where a better touch would have led to clear goal scoring opportunities. Does anybody think in crucial CPL or matches against top 6 sides, you get the opportunities to mess up two goal scoring chances due to poor first touch.

It has been clear since he joined Utd that technically, he is a level below our first team and even squad level. He is still very raw for a 23 year old, he plays like a 17 year old, he looks lost on the field. He has no strength, no passing ability, due to his poor technical ability, he is unable to combine with players and he is always looking down, never has his head up, which is a poor trait for a professional footballer, as it is drilled into players from early age to have awareness and play with head up.

Lastly can somebody explain me what is he good at, because he can't beat a player from standing position, plus he does not appear to beat them with his kick and run style either. On top of my head there are all these teams that have better players as compared to James and I am not counting the obvious ones (City, Spurs, Chelsea and Pool);
Leicester (Barnes, Perez)
Everton (Richarlson)
Westham (Bowen, Lingard)
Arsenal (Saka, Martenelli)
Wolves (Traore and Neto)
Palace (Zaha)
Burnley (Mcneil)
Newcastle (Saint Maxim)
Fulham (Lookman)

For the love of God just sign a proper RW. I don't mind if we can't sign Sancho, just get somebody on the wing, if Newcastle goes down, i hope we try our best for Saint Maxim.
Forgetting Raphinha (Leeds)?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

Fully agreed, I was a big fan of Daniel James before he joined us and in fairness I think he’s done ok. If we had less pressure he’d get there but United might spend this summer on RW, and he’s got competition there from Greenwood, amad and pellestri so the smart money is on a move. I think Leeds would still take him for £20-25m

lex talionis

I can’t deny that James is in over his head at this level, but I still like the idea of using him on the left as Rashford’s cover.

Martial isn’t our answer at CF and would make a great backup for Rashford, but I worry about his sulking and insipid play in the face of adversity and would rather see him go if he can’t sort his head out. In which case, what James lacks in quality he makes up in attitude and for me would be a great option coming off the bench.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
The problem I have with James is that he is taking space in a squad - a squad that cant necessarily buy 7 world class players to sit on the bench like City do.

When I think about a fundamental player we have to target like Sancho at United and how we are going to integrate him to the squad - then I see no space for Daniel James or even Anthony Martial.

Sancho gives us that competition for Rashford as a LW and competition for Greenwood as a RW.

Do we need James a level below?

Foxbatt

The problem I have with James is that he is taking space in a squad - a squad that cant necessarily buy 7 world class players to sit on the bench like City do.

When I think about a fundamental player we have to target like Sancho at United and how we are going to integrate him to the squad - then I see no space for Daniel James or even Anthony Martial.

Sancho gives us that competition for Rashford as a LW and competition for Greenwood as a RW.

Do we need James a level below?
No. But until we get that player he is useful to keep.

jesperjaap

Isnt good enough and with four or five of our best youth players coming through able to play on the wings, I expect him to get less and less minutes if any take there opportunities next season

Where was he last night?

He's never going to be starting quality but he has shown he can be an effective squad player if used in the right way.

Idxomer

Good cross and layoff for VDB, a lot of technical frailties on display too.

He also wasn't involved in most of our buildup play, unlike the two youngsters.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Fabulous cross for the goal, not so fabulous finish for Amad’s pass.

kundalini

Superb left-footed cross for Elanga's goal. Terrible finish for his big chance from Amad's through-ball. Wasn't involved that often.

lost7

That peach of a cross on his left foot was just beautiful.

Should have scored when he was 1 on 1 with the keeper, though

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
I never expected him to chip that attempt. Thought he would just blast it. Bad miss but whatever, it wasn't costly and his assist was excellent.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Such an absolutely frustrating player. He does so much well but at times he receives the ball worse than Lukaku, and that ‘finish’..... he tracks back and defends well, good pressing I wonder if he could be a wing back or full back.

jesperjaap

Fantastic cross for the goal and he does look better on the left....but, he simply isnt good enough for us, the quality and intelligence simply isnt there. Not only that, would hate to see him getting games and hinderign the development of some of our youngsters.
Really should be an obvious sale this summer for me

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Criminal that finish

Unfortuantly looked a class below Amad and Elanga in the attack. Fair play for the cross though

Status
Not open for further replies.