Player Agent: Stellar Football Ltd
Squad Number: #21
Foot: Right
Player Agent: Stellar Football Ltd
Contract until: Jun 30, 2024
Contract option: Option for a further year
Outfitter: Adidas

Idxomer

His pass completion might've been less than 50%, not one good decision on the ball all 45 minutes he played.

Mickson

I've said it for two seasons now: Elanga is better than him and should get his minutes. Pellistri will be better than him. Amad will be better than him. A nothing player who gets chance after chance, and in time even Ole will realize he's not good enough, which he did after two years with Pereira. Time to sell him while his value is reasonably high.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
He's a nice kid but I am still waiting for the penny to drop on his decision making. Feel like I will be waiting a long, long time.

Godfather

I've said it for two seasons now: Elanga is better than him and should get his minutes. Pellistri will be better than him. Amad will be better than him. A nothing player who gets chance after chance, and in time even Ole will realize he's not good enough, which he did after two years with Pereira. Time to sell him while his value is reasonably high.
It's a guy he decided to buy which will get him minutes after minutes after minutes.

3vra

When we bought him It Was Rashford/Martial, Mata and him for our wing options

2 years later we have Sancho, Greenwood, Amad, Elanga, Pellestri who are already better or have potential so as a smart club we should sell James and do not give Mata a new contract, but we will keep them and give them minutes instead of that bunch of young players.

We are too nice for those underperforming players.
We could easily get 20 for him and save another few milions not paying for his and Mata’s wages.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
When we bought him It Was Rashford/Martial, Mata and him for our wing options

2 years later we have Sancho, Greenwood, Amad, Elanga, Pellestri who are already better or have potential so as a smart club we should sell James and do not give Mata a new contract, but we will keep them and give them minutes instead of that bunch of young players.

We are too nice for those underperforming players.
We could easily get 20 for him and save another few milions not paying for his and Mata’s wages.
I would like to think that if anyone showed us 20 this summer we’d take it. Sadly, nobody probably will. As usual, when Leeds showed us the money last year, we didn’t take it. Because we are a family club, or something.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I would like to think that if anyone showed us 20 this summer we’d take it. Sadly, nobody probably will. As usual, when Leeds showed us the money last year, we didn’t take it. Because we are a family club, or something.
Apparently both Leeds and Brighton have registered their interest in him this summer

lex talionis

No one is going to pay us 20m for Daniel Owen James, but we should look to offload him to a club at whatever we can get -- 10m should be manageable -- where he can be a regular starter and develop the toolkit to carve out a solid playing career.

A shame we're not in for Bryan Gil, who looks a proper left winger. But we are in fact stacked with promising young players in wide attacking positions.

Highfather_24

Sell him while his stock is still high. This is the same mistake we always make, not selling players when we still can. He will never be good enough for Man Utd.

In the wings we have : Greenwood, Sancho, Rashford, Mata and Amad. Elanga and Pellestri are also options if we dont send them on loan.

We dont need Dan James.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
No one is going to pay us 20m for Daniel Owen James, but we should look to offload him to a club at whatever we can get -- 10m should be manageable -- where he can be a regular starter and develop the toolkit to carve out a solid playing career.

A shame we're not in for Bryan Gil, who looks a proper left winger. But we are in fact stacked with promising young players in wide attacking positions.
I think we'd get around £20m.

He's a horribly frustrating player, but he does ok for Wales and more importantly a starter for them. On top of that he's got fairly ok numbers for us. He's just not cut out for top level football, but that doesn't mean he should go for feck all. The problem is that we should be really looking at selling him right now when his stock is fairly decent after a semi decent Euros. But unfortunately, we tend to keep hold of players 1/2 seasons too long and their value plummets.

lex talionis

I think we'd get around £20m.

He's a horribly frustrating player, but he does ok for Wales and more importantly a starter for them. On top of that he's got fairly ok numbers for us. He's just not cut out for top level football, but that doesn't mean he should go for feck all. The problem is that we should be really looking at selling him right now when his stock is fairly decent after a semi decent Euros. But unfortunately, we tend to keep hold of players 1/2 seasons too long and their value plummets.
James is indeed rated at 19.8 by transfermrkt: https://www.transfermarkt.us/schnellsuche/ergebnis/schnellsuche?query=dan+james

But I really can't see a club that has that kind of cash available to it going in for James. And clubs who would benefit from bringing in James, such as Norwich (no idea what Norwich have been doing in the transfer market) aren't going to spend what for them them is a fortune for a player who really hasn't distinguished himself for United.

But if Norwich or Arsenal inquire about James and put 15m on the table we should take it and not waste any time trying to squeeze out another 5m.

3vra

There is absolutely no reason to keep him here, he is just not at the level we need even 17 and 18 years Old are more aware of what is happening and are able to adjust their game he plays exactly the same game after game. We have enough players to play on the wing in big matches, plus Elanga, Amad and of course Mata so we could get 15-20 mln that could be used for CDM or else.

Gandalf

Based on today Elanga deserves to stay and has played Dan into a transfer but I highly doubt you were touting Elanga 2 years ago unless you have evidence to the contrary.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Based on today Elanga deserves to stay and has played Dan into a transfer but I highly doubt you were touting Elanga 2 years ago unless you have evidence to the contrary.
Of course he wasn't good enough 2 years ago but I'd be confident Elanga would be more of an asset to us this season than James.

ArjenIsM3

Sell while we still can. We have talented options for the positions he plays who deserve the minutes more than he does.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Really wishes the club would sell him. His value won't really increase nor is he that valuable to the 1st team. Generate some funds, was never an United player to begin with although he can be useful occasionally.

Idxomer

It's baffling to me when people keep saying the likes of Amad and Elanga aren't ready to start ahead of James who has proven he will never be good enough for a top club.

After two years he still looks raw and his decision-making hasn't improved at all. Amad is already way ahead of him in that department despite being 4 years younger.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He will never be a top player for us. Time to invest in players that could be. A forward thinking club would seek maximum value for him now.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
What took me by surprise the most was when the commentator said he'd made 72 apperances for us, I don't even think he's got 10 goals for us yet. He seemed to edge players like Elanga and Amad last season based on experience, but he keeps getting rewarded with more experience despite never really justifying his inclusion in the team. Fair to say I don't rate him.

Gandalf

Based on pre-season both Elanga (2g) and/or Pellistri (1g 1a) are both deserving of James' spot.
Of course he wasn't good enough 2 years ago but I'd be confident Elanga would be more of an asset to us this season than James.
I would agree however the plan for Pellistri seems to be firm regarding sending him back to La Liga for another year. I worry that with Elanga he won't get enough game time but today made me think Ole will feel comfortable relying on him and he will get enough minutes to make it worth his while staying. With Rashford out I have thought that the plan may well be to hold on to James until the January window to make sure we don't get caught short but if Elanga stays he won't play hence my comment that Elanga was playing James into a transfer.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
he’s just so un inspiring.

coming on as a sub being a senior player you’d think he’d be desperate to make an impact, he might as well have not even been playing.

if leeds or brighton really want him we need to sell asap while his stock is high and they’ve still got space.

-Supreme-

It makes no sense of keeping James after we have invested £100m on two wide players in the past 6 months, even if Rashford is out for the start of the season, I'd delay sending Elanga on loan until January if Ole is really concerned

Based Adnan

I like James and feel he does get a lot of unnecessary stick at times but with Amad, Pellistri and Elanga knocking on the door, I can't help but feel it's time for him to move on.

Kag

Sancho, Rashford, Greenwood and Martial would all start ahead of him in the wide positions and Amad and Elanga look very promising.

Given we’re understood to need some incoming money to bring in more players then James is about as sellable as they come.

Get our money back and wish him luck. He’ll do well lower down the division.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
The only tweets I’ve seen from those connected are that a potential James departure is being shelved owing to Rashford’s potential time out following surgery. Why? — your guess is as good as mine.

VanDeBank

Ma’am

10m is criminal. I'd loan him out instead for anything under 15m. He'd do well enough to get clubs interested at a higher price and maybe there will be more money next summer for them.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He's not wrong though unfortunately.

I compare him to a dog that's just been let off his lead. Runs about with plenty of energy and excitement but with very little meaning.

It doesn't help that as soon as he gets close to anybody he hits the floor faster than Tom Daley. His balance is and core strength is frankly awful.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
The wealth of young wingers we have (Amad, Pellistri, Elanga), would make me think they would be better to ease in than James. He's got undoubted pace, and towards the end of the season was finding his knack.

However, when it comes to United and giving people few opportunities when not a starter, I would much prefer to see the 3 mentioned above having a crack at EL starts/subs. They all have a spark I dont quite see in James

lex talionis

10m is criminal. I'd loan him out instead for anything under 15m. He'd do well enough to get clubs interested at a higher price and maybe there will be more money next summer for them.
I'd love to see us get 15m for James, but the clubs who have that kind of cash surely would aim higher and the clubs who would happy to bring in James don't have 15m to spend on him.

We'd do well to sell James to a club Newcastle or Southampton for 10m. If we're lucky maybe we could get Arsenal to take him for 15m.

A few months ago I was happy to keep James in the stable for mop up duty but now that we've seen what Diallo and Pellistri have got, and of course now that we've got Sancho, and of course we still have Greenwood and Rashford (and Mata for mop up duty) there just isn't a need for James any longer. A nice lad he is, but he looks to be little more than a pace merchant, albeit one with a big heart.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
I'd love to see us get 15m for James, but the clubs who have that kind of cash surely would aim higher and the clubs who would happy to bring in James don't have 15m to spend on him.

We'd do well to sell James to a club Newcastle or Southampton for 10m. If we're lucky maybe we could get Arsenal to take him for 15m.

A few months ago I was happy to keep James in the stable for mop up duty but now that we've seen what Diallo and Pellistri have got, and of course now that we've got Sancho, and of course we still have Greenwood and Rashford (and Mata for mop up duty) there just isn't a need for James any longer. A nice lad he is, but he looks to be little more than a pace merchant, albeit one with a big heart.
I think you're not taking into consideration the amount of inflation that's been going on. 50m for Ben White isn't an anomaly.

I recently saw both Stengs and Kluivert go for 15m euros to Nice. Stengs has 7 goals in 30 games in the Eredivsie, Kluivert 3 goals in 19 matches in the bundesliga. Meaning, they're shit. James is homegrown and has performed to a reasonable level in the EPL.

When we sell a player it's not like they instantly transfer 15m to Utd's bank account. There's a lot of ways to spread it out. Plenty of teams are spending 15m on one player, even with Covid. Go to the transfer tweets thread and see for yourself.

I don't disagree with selling James and keeping some of the kids, but 10m is underselling to the point that we might as well keep or loan him and get 15m in the next window.

lex talionis

I think you're not taking into consideration the amount of inflation that's been going on. 50m for Ben White isn't an anomaly.

I recently saw both Stengs and Kluivert go for 15m euros to Nice. Stengs has 7 goals in 30 games in the Eredivsie, Kluivert 3 goals in 19 matches in the bundesliga. Meaning, they're shit. James is homegrown and has performed to a reasonable level in the EPL.

When we sell a player it's not like they instantly transfer 15m to Utd's bank account. There's a lot of ways to spread it out. Plenty of teams are spending 15m on one player, even with Covid. Go to the transfer tweets thread and see for yourself.

I don't disagree with selling James and keeping some of the kids, but 10m is underselling to the point that we might as well keep or loan him and get 15m in the next window.
Right, but let's take a look at Arsenal and Ben White. As much as it's true that Arsenal have fallen pretty far they're still a big club and can spend 50m for what they regard as a key piece to fill out their puzzle. Arsenal are a club that employ Aubemayang, Partey and Leno...pretty serious big name players who would slot right in at Old Trafford. True, they have some players who have disappointed them, but overall you'd have to say that Arsenal still aspire to be a Top 6 club.

It's hard to imagine any of City, Liverpool, Tottenham, Leicester, Arsenal or even Everton being interested in Dan James. You could see Leeds having a serious look, but I doubt James would go straight into the starting XI over what they've already got and if we're right about that it's hard to see Leeds spent 15m on a squad player. Maybe, but I would think they'd offer closer to 10m. We'd probably ask 15m and maybe we settle for 12m, but I don't think Leeds are yet at the place in their evolution where they're prepared to spend 10m+ for a squad man. But I could be wrong.

Aston Villa could be interesting. Villa have unlimited cash in the vault apparently and with with Grealish seemingly inevitably on his way to City perhaps Villa would be interested and might happily part with 15m for James.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I don’t even rate him but £15 million would be an absolute steal in this market. If he’s available for that he should be on the radar of half the premier league because he would have a massive impact at most of those clubs. I don’t see him being any worse than a Lennon or Walcott who were both pretty average pace merchants but were effective in certain games and systems. If he was at Chelsea or Liverpool I’d expect them to sell for £25 -£30 million without a bother.

Status
Not open for further replies.