Daniel James | Leeds player

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Well he was tipped for one, but it's par for the course when any English player plays well. Likely just the usual pundit talk, but grabbing a combined 16 goals and assists for Leeds in the PL last season was pretty impressive.

You didn't say that though, you made out that it was outrageous to suggest people who rate Harrison higher, are somehow a-bit mental. Frankly, that's bollox. Let's see if James can be as influencial as Harrison was last season. I'm taking it you didnt watch much of him? If you did, you would see he's a good, tidy player. Maybe there's some recency bias here due to his poor start to the season.

Maybe you're overeating James too? I haven't seen anything in him to make me think he's going to be a huge success at Leeds. I guess time will tell. And no, Bielsa obviously bought him because he's likely planning on playing Harrison more centrally, a role in which he has played before at times.
Yeah Harrison's fine, nothing wrong with him. Similar sort of level to Todd Cantwell IMO. Wouldn't play either of them over James, although Cantwell at least is younger.

Brophs

The One and Only
And people say he lacked penetration and couldn’t finish.

Robbie Boy

Yeah Harrison's fine, nothing wrong with him. Similar sort of level to Todd Cantwell IMO. Wouldn't play either of them over James, although Cantwell at least is younger.
I don't particularly rate either of them, but they're both very different players to James. Both are technically miles ahead of James, but both are also more suited to playing centrally imo.

I imagine Bielsa brought in James to play out wide with Raphinha on the other side. It makes sense given Bielsa's preference to have pacy, direct runners out wide. I also think Harrison has always looked like someone who would be better centrally. On paper, James and Raphinha out wide, with Harrison in a more central role looks promising.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
I'm guessing most dont care but he played very well today.

He seems much happier at Leeds.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Best game for us so far. Fantastic in the press, excellent link up play, still has a shite end product. Probably should've won a penalty too. Fitting in nicely (and a bit better than I thought he would).

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Best game for us so far. Fantastic in the press, excellent link up play, still has a shite end product. Probably should've won a penalty too. Fitting in nicely (and a bit better than I thought he would).
He’s potentially a deadly little player that’s well suited to direct PL football. A lot of our fans lack empathy or vision and are just looking for scapegoats and instant gratification rather than at any kind of bigger picture and couldn’t run him out of here fast enough. He may never be a leading player but hes a very good squad player for a top club and I think he’ll be one of your better players for the next few years if he can stay fit and find some consistency with his final ball and finishing. Seems like a down to earth and hardworking guy who leaves it all on the pitch.

lsd

The Oracle
The only annoying thing is now every time he has a penalty claim turned away for Leeds all you hear from Leeds fans is how he would have gotten that of he were in a United shirt.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
He’s potentially a deadly little player that’s well suited to direct PL football. A lot of our fans lack empathy or vision and are just looking for scapegoats and instant gratification rather than at any kind of bigger picture and couldn’t run him out of here fast enough. He may never be a leading player but hes a very good squad player for a top club and I think he’ll be one of your better players for the next few years if he can stay fit and find some consistency with his final ball and finishing. Seems like a down to earth and hardworking guy who leaves it all on the pitch.
Lack empathy and vision? How so? He’s had a chance to stake a claim but he’s just not good enough for a team trying to win major trophies - not yet anyway and I’m not sure if he’ll ever be. No shame in that. Maybe he could have stayed as a squad option but we’re quite stacked in attack and needed to cash in on some assets and he provided that opportunity.

This is the top echelons of world football and it is (or should be) cut throat. I wish him all the best though. Agreed - he always came across like a down to earth guy and hopefully he does well.

Robbie Boy

Lack empathy and vision? How so? He’s had a chance to stake a claim but he’s just not good enough for a team trying to win major trophies - not yet anyway and I’m not sure if he’ll ever be. No shame in that. Maybe he could have stayed as a squad option but we’re quite stacked in attack and needed to cash in on some assets and he provided that opportunity.

This is the top echelons of world football and it is (or should be) cut throat. I wish him all the best though. Agreed - he always came across like a down to earth guy and hopefully he does well.
Spot on, Ish.

Thiagoal

Really controversial but I think we’d have been far better off as a squad if we’d kept James and not signed CR7.

1) We already have many fantastic forward options and adding another ‘star’ was going to affect team harmony and chances for the likes of Elanga and Mejbri

2) Against the big sides we will need a James type to press and help disrupt the opposition- CR will not do that (who else in our squad can?

3) No other player in our squad has the same pace and the ability to run in behind or chase down ‘lost causes’

izec

Bielsa wanted him for years for a reason. He was a lost cause here, as pressing like we do makes him ineffective. At Leeds, he has more space and a team that plays together and presses together, plus lower expectations (for his end product). Perfect conditions for him.

He will be an important player for them, under Bielsa at least.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Really controversial but I think we’d have been far better off as a squad if we’d kept James and not signed CR7.

1) We already have many fantastic forward options and adding another ‘star’ was going to affect team harmony and chances for the likes of Elanga and Mejbri

2) Against the big sides we will need a James type to press and help disrupt the opposition- CR will not do that (who else in our squad can?

3) No other player in our squad has the same pace and the ability to run in behind or chase down ‘lost causes’
So the choice is Daniel James or Cristiano fecking Ronaldo and you choose James? :lol:

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
He is an obviously good fit for their team and system and I suspect and hope he will do well. The frustrating thing will be when he is doing well at Leeds all we will hear is how United didnt give him a chance, that it is proof that Ole is clueless etc.

Robbie Boy

He is an obviously good fit for their team and system and I suspect and hope he will do well. The frustrating thing will be when he is doing well at Leeds all we will hear is how United didnt give him a chance, that it is proof that Ole is clueless etc.
Using Dan James to have a go at Ole would be some reach :lol:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
No he's not as proven in his time here resulting in his sale.

stu_1992

Cavani?

Ali Dia

It has nothing to do with Ronaldo vs James. The difference is we’ve obviously had problems with genuine pressing and tracking back and James was one of our only players who did that all game long. I think moving him out for another big name striker was a step in the wrong direction.

Ronaldos signing looks to have unbalanced us for now. Our defence hasnt been so wide open since the 70s .the other players are finding it harder to score since he came in. A good team is chemistry and not just fitting in the 11 biggest names you can find and we still suck at pressing from the front and tracking wingers back and it’s costing us. We will also miss his energy in the big games but most of you couldn’t wait to have him out the door.

Most of you in here agreeing with each other still don’t seem to realise that it’s not all goals and assists and striving for star names. You have to bust a gut and win the ugly side of the game too. That’s why teams are just sitting back and countering us now. We are just mindlessly attacking and we are left wide open.

Last edited:

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
All the best Dan, I'll remember those first few games fondly. The rest, a little less so. I think he'll do well for them under Bielsa.
I will always wonder what happened. He was the reason to watch our games for the first 6-7 games or so. Absolutely phenomenal, great at scoring too. And then suddenly he became a ghost unable to ever find the target and was lousy for two years. So weird

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Frustrating because it would be true? Surely the mark of a good manager is taking someone like James and making look like a proper PL player?

I will always wonder what happened. He was the reason to watch our games for the first 6-7 games or so. Absolutely phenomenal, great at scoring too. And then suddenly he became a ghost unable to ever find the target and was lousy for two years. So weird
Defenders realised he was absolutely rapid especially on the half turn and adjusted accordingly. Simple as that.

He also lost confidence and stopped trying to use his pace which was a shame to see.

AllGoodNamesRGone

Supports
Arsenal
I agree. I think you should bench Ronaldo for that young Jesse Lingard and all his pressing.

Ali Dia

We were shite without Ronaldo too yesterday and our defence wide open, so…
You’re only picking parts of what I said. I said without James we suck at tracking wingers and pressing. That has nothing to do with Ronaldo. If James was on that wing yesterday he’d probably have motored back into Gray or Townsend on the other side. He’s also a better player on the left and we never played him there and he was still happy to do his job as a bit part player we need more players like that. Mina and Keane aren’t good on the ball but once Cavani went off we didn’t pressure them at all.

I’m not saying he’s the answer to everything that’s wrong with us but I feel the fans who are mad to get rid of workhorse players like James and Fred are missing the point that we are in danger of verging into having more style than guile. Our best teams always tried to work harder and with more intensity than the opposition as a given and I feel we’ve lost that post Fergie once we started splashing the cash on big names.

nuanced

loves geopolitical narrative
Classic caf. Filter a substantial point into a simplistic line like 'I'd pick James over Ronaldo', and be outraged over it. If some mod changed the thread title to this hot take, then a lot of people can laugh at that hot take and turn this thread into one of the all time classics?

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Frustrating because it would be true? Surely the mark of a good manager is taking someone like James and making look like a proper PL player?
We could have Fergie in his pomp and James still wouldn't be good enough for us. So no, it most definitely is not true.