Daniel James | Leeds player

Red00012

Really controversial but I think we’d have been far better off as a squad if we’d kept James and not signed CR7.

1) We already have many fantastic forward options and adding another ‘star’ was going to affect team harmony and chances for the likes of Elanga and Mejbri

2) Against the big sides we will need a James type to press and help disrupt the opposition- CR will not do that (who else in our squad can?

3) No other player in our squad has the same pace and the ability to run in behind or chase down ‘lost causes’
Feck me this place :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

dirkey

Really controversial but I think we’d have been far better off as a squad if we’d kept James and not signed CR7.

1) We already have many fantastic forward options and adding another ‘star’ was going to affect team harmony and chances for the likes of Elanga and Mejbri

2) Against the big sides we will need a James type to press and help disrupt the opposition- CR will not do that (who else in our squad can?

3) No other player in our squad has the same pace and the ability to run in behind or chase down ‘lost causes’
This has to be a windup Well played

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
You’re only picking parts of what I said. I said without James we suck at tracking wingers and pressing. That has nothing to do with Ronaldo. If James was on that wing yesterday he’d probably have motored back into Gray or Townsend on the other side. He’s also a better player on the left and we never played him there and he was still happy to do his job as a bit part player we need more players like that. Mina and Keane aren’t good on the ball but once Cavani went off we didn’t pressure them at all.

I’m not saying he’s the answer to everything that’s wrong with us but I feel the fans who are mad to get rid of workhorse players like James and Fred are missing the point that we are in danger of verging into having more style than guile. Our best teams always tried to work harder and with more intensity than the opposition as a given and I feel we’ve lost that post Fergie once we started splashing the cash on big names.
Sorry but we cannot have wingers who suck at attack by (James last two years) and fullbacks who cannot track back. We understand that in modern game fullback helps attack a lot and winger defends but yesterday's goal was on Fred and then Luke Shaw shitting pants

Last edited:

Nevilles.Wear.Prada

Supports
JDT

Only the first two words in the whole post made sense. Keep the comedy coming boy..

arthurka

nobody is picking James over Ronaldo. A pressing system with harder working players in an imperfect team is probably more effective than what we’ve been seeing over the last few weeks.
No what we have been seeing is our inability to dictate tempo and pile pressure on our opponents for prolonged periods. Nothing to do with Ronaldo, everything to do with our lack of play and our midfielders being rubbish.

It's clear that some here wanted James over Ronaldo.

So make of it what you will.

Idxomer

We would've been better off selling James, buying a midfielder and not getting Ronaldo.

pascell

Wouldn't surprise me at all if Bielsa made a player out of him. He'll look very good once he's gelled with his teammates and I think Bielsa will improve him technically too.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
Wouldn't surprise me at all if Bielsa made a player out of him. He'll look very good once he's gelled with his teammates and I think Bielsa will improve him technically too.
This. He needs an actual, proper coach that knows how to technically guide a player and in Bielsa he has that.

Be really interesting to see how he links up with Bamford and Raphinha when all are available.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Remember how good he was in his first few weeks/month or two? I think if he can relax and find some consistent end product on top of his work rate then he will be a really good LW for them. Been saying it all along. I really don’t think half of you lads can seem to judge a solid player that’s doing a good honest job and a flashy player walking around doing a half arsed job. It’s always someone else’s fault when the flashy player underperforms. Even when he was one of the best players for Wales during the Euros. Almost total denial on here

Last edited:

Glow

This. He needs an actual, proper coach that knows how to technically guide a player and in Bielsa he has that.

Be really interesting to see how he links up with Bamford and Raphinha when all are available.
Agree.
I also think Solskjær liked him, but was forced to sell him due to both Ronaldo and Sancho coming in. He was very hardworking, which you cannot say about Ronaldo. The Ronaldo impact is very much overvalued, whick may be a reason for the bad start of the season. Let's just hope that Lindgard can replace him in this hardworking and important role, and make Ronaldo more of a supersub to come in late in the games and score a goal.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Absolutely. Watched his interview after the game, and he comes across as a top bloke, as he always has. I don't think he was good enough for us, but I wish him all the best.
Better than Mcfred.

I'd play him in midfield over mcfred, heck i'd even play you over mcfred.

RooneyLegend

Agree.
I also think Solskjær liked him, but was forced to sell him due to both Ronaldo and Sancho coming in. He was very hardworking, which you cannot say about Ronaldo. The Ronaldo impact is very much overvalued, whick may be a reason for the bad start of the season. Let's just hope that Lindgard can replace him in this hardworking and important role, and make Ronaldo more of a supersub to come in late in the games and score a goal.
There was nothing important about James' role here, nothing at all.

AllGoodNamesRGone

Supports
Arsenal
Reckon he could forge out a pretty solid Zaha type career. Probably not enough to his game for teams with top six aspirations but could be a consistent and important player for any other prem league level team.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Good to see nobody calling him a championship player anymore or worse. He’s a good player who needed playing time, patience and the right tactics

Bondi77

Remember how good he was in his first few weeks/month or two? I think if he can relax and find some consistent end product on top of his work rate then he will be a really good LW for them. Been saying it all along. I really don’t think half of you lads can seem to judge a solid player that’s doing a good honest job and a flashy player walking around doing a half arsed job. It’s always someone else’s fault when the flashy player underperforms. Even when he was one of the best players for Wales during the Euros. Almost total denial on here
I think you are being generous when you only say half!

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Ok, I'm going to hold my hands up, I was a massive Dan James fan, I wanted United to keep him as I felt his work ethic offered us a lot.
In fact I still feel that, but after watching him a few times now for Leeds recently, his early promise at Leeds has turned into flat out mediocrity.

Rather like when he was with us, started well but faded massively.

I actually think there's a potentially good steady player in there somewhere, but he just doesn't seem like a confident guy, looks like he over thinks everything, he's swiftly turning into a poor man's Walcott!!

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
We've got him playing Bamford's role right now. He's not very good at it. Looks like he might be good on the wing and shows flashes of being so but we've been fairly crap as a team so he hasn't really had the opportunity to show much.

Certainly isn't pulling up trees though.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
He tries really hard and applies himself so well but I think he lacks the technical ability and touch for the very top level.

What really lets him down though is his decision making. Whenever I saw him play for us, he was constantly picking the wrong option or turning straight into trouble.

Can’t fault his application but I just don’t think he is good enough, and that could well be shown up in a poor Leeds side now who seem to have lost their way a bit.

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
We've got him playing Bamford's role right now. He's not very good at it. Looks like he might be good on the wing and shows flashes of being so but we've been fairly crap as a team so he hasn't really had the opportunity to show much.

Certainly isn't pulling up trees though.
How much has he played on the left wing?

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Ok, I'm going to hold my hands up, I was a massive Dan James fan, I wanted United to keep him as I felt his work ethic offered us a lot.
In fact I still feel that, but after watching him a few times now for Leeds recently, his early promise at Leeds has turned into flat out mediocrity.

I actually think there's a potentially good steady player in there somewhere, but he just doesn't seem like a confident guy, looks like he over thinks everything, he's swiftly turning into a poor man's Walcott!!
I think another season in the Championship would be good for his confidence. Leeds are probably heading that way.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

His basic technique is just too poor to play at the top level. Mentally he isn't quick enough either.

He works very hard and sometimes makes some good runs into space, but he will end up taking a poor decision or an awful shot.

Look at the 2nd half late on, he had an overlap coming round the right side. A little pass ahead and they've got an easy cut back, but instead he toe pokes it 10 foot over the bar.

That lack of composure/decision making is why he won't ever be able to make it. Add in the fact he's very weak and can't actually dribble unless going in a straight line - it was a genuine miracle we got over £20m for him. Daylight robbery.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
How much has he played on the left wing?
only a couple of games if I remember rightly. Oftentimes we switch wingers though so he doesn't really get a full match there. He's looked dangerous in bursts but sometimes lacks the final ball.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
I think another season in the Championship would be good for his confidence. Leeds are probably heading that way.
I think you're probably right.

He would probably tear it up a level below.

Hoof the ball

Dan James is a “what if” type of player. He’ll get involved, produce action, and he is a team player, but at the end of the day you leave saying “what if” he saw the open man, “what if” he had a better touch on that ball.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Slow as a brick mentally. Bless his heart. He tricked everyone with his 'quick feet'

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
He's been playing upfront lately which is weird.

Leeds really need Bamford back. James will look much better hugging the touchline .

-Supreme-

still made a loss on him

we made a profit on Dan James, just let that sink in
Think it was breakeven.

I would say Morgan Schneiderlin was a better sale given he only made 3 PL appearances from his 2nd season at united.

Lord SInister

where grasses are green and girls are pretty
He had fooled is during that purple patch he had in the beginning :lol: , I thought he would be replacing Rashford, as I was overrating Rashford too, thinking he would move to Spain:lol:

I do overrate our players a bit too much at times. Used to think Cleverley will be our mainstay :lol:

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
The one that got away.

Can't remember what it feels like to score two goals in a game, never mind two goals from the same player.