Daniel James | Officially Signs

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJM78

If the club thinks he'll be in any way useful (or has the potential to be more than that) then for 15m I really couldn't care less. In today's market that's absolutely feck all.

Look at it this way: if he's playing for us, one of the players who have repeatedly let us down isn't. How bad a thing can that be?
100% agree, I would play him over Lingard everyday. Then again I would play my Nan over Lingard and she's dead.

Mcking

It’s bloody stupid. We have no quality wide options. Why add another. He best go buy one.
Because we have no quality wide options?
Of course I would like us to identify and sign the next Messi or even sign one of the best wingers in the league, just like we did with Lukaku. At the end of the day though, what matters is how they fit in and perform in the team. £10m for James could be the bargain of the summer. He is not be the only player we will be signing this summer.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
100% agree, I would play him over Lingard everyday. Then again I would play my Nan over Lingard and she's dead.
Well quite.

Another way to look at it: imagine we sell Sanchez and sign this guy. He's hardly going to be less useful than Sanchez, who has basically played like a peripheral squad player since arriving. Unlike Sanchez he might actually improve too. Yet he also frees up a huge amount of money in wages for other signings in other positions. Y'know, the signings everyone will complain if we don't get.

Even if this guy ultimately turns out to be relative dross, bringing in young, hungry, fast, hard-working, cheap dross to replace old, broken, slow, expensive dross still brings benefits in terms of squad management. Especially as we aren't going to lose out if we ultimately end up selling the former on again in a few years.

Dolf

The Wolves team were all Championship players last season - I’d like to pick a few recruits from their ranks right now...
Yeah. Wolves. The team that is 9 points behind us. We need to start looking at players that have much more quality than what we already have.

lysglimt

Scout
Yeah. Wolves. The team that is 9 points behind us. We need to start looking at players that have much more quality than what we already have.
Some of the Wolves-players do - not many...but a few of them

Mainoldo

Because we have no quality wide options?
Of course I would like us to identify and sign the next Messi or even sign one of the best wingers in the league, just like we did with Lukaku. At the end of the day though, what matters is how they fit in and perform in the team. £10m for James could be the bargain of the summer. He is not be the only player we will be signing this summer.
Yeah your talking like we have a style and team to fit into. We don’t for now we need to stick to improving the quality and developing what you’ve mentioned.

deafepl

I feel like it's an investment for United to make money and increase asset value, he's not world class but he can be sold for 25-30m to PL clubs if he's playing average, and if he's playing soo world class and better than Martial, he's 60m+ worth.

ZupZup

Just because a player is below us in the table with another club... hardly means they don't have the quality. Which clubs did Liverpool buy Mane, Van Dijk and Robinson from? Arguably their three best outfield players last season.

Kearnkoff69

No harm in taking a flyer on a promising young player. If Pool can reach the CL finals two years running with guys like Milner and Henderson playing key roles, it just goes to show that team fit, ability to buy in to a system, and physical strengths (hard work ethic, pace, and strength included) can go a long way in today's game. He could flop, or he could go on to play a big role for us. For 15M, and as long as it isn't the only attacking addition we make, I am all for this deal.

deafepl

Not many? Few?

I think we'd take 8 or 9 of them for our squad easily. Maybe more.

How many players who would start for any top club from Wolves? Why would we take many players from Wolves if they can't start for any best club? We don't need more deadwood, quality over quantity is more important if we want to get back to top.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Ah right.

I'd say given our options on the left are Sanchez and Martial - one if not both of them are off then

I'd have said Sanchez is def out the door and James will deputise for Martial.

We still need a RW then!
I think he's right footed though, so will be able to play on the right.

That being said, if the reddit ITK and reports are to be believed, the bolded part sounds like the plan.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
He just about push for a starting role now that plus another first team winger puts him down in the pecking order.

Why do you believe he won’t think like this?!
Because United do not have ANY natural wingers in the squad. Especially down the right. If Chong really went in for it hard this summer, he could easily snatch a starting berth from any of the current starters in the roles.

Unless he doubts his natural talent. I can't see him thinking any other way.

He'd only have reason to worry that way if we added two Sancho level or Sadio Mane level players.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Just because a player is below us in the table with another club... hardly means they don't have the quality. Which clubs did Liverpool buy Mane, Van Dijk and Robinson from? Arguably their three best outfield players last season.
Top recruitment. Ours unfortunately is not, that’s why I can’t get excited about it. Powell zaha players like that have come here and done nothing and I believe we still have the same recruitment team... hopefully this is the transfer that starts to buck the trend overall but it’s hard to get enthusiastic about anything utd related these days.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
How many players who would start for any top club from Wolves? Why would we take many players from Wolves if they can't start for any best club? We don't need more deadwood, quality over quantity is more important if we want to get back to top.
Don't think you get the point I was making. I'm not saying we should be buying them. Hahaha.

I'm saying at least 8 or 9 of their players are better than what we have. Shows how bad we've become.

Patricio,Doherty, Jonny, Neves, Dendocker, Moutinho, Jiminez etc would all get plenty of games for us.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
15M is a low risk punt. If he ends up being good, we've just made a top dollar deal. Otherwise we can use him as leverage for future transfers.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Yeh. It's like when we were successful under Fergie, buy buying players from teams above us.

Scotty McT

Not many? Few?

I think we'd take 8 or 9 of them for our squad easily. Maybe more.
You need to realise the difference between them having 8 or 9 players who would get into our squad and us wanting to take 8 or 9 of their players.

The first is true, the second isn't.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
You need to realise the difference between them having 8 or 9 players who would get into our squad and us wanting to take 8 or 9 of their players.

The first is true, the second isn't.
I don't want to take them all either. I'd take a few though. Neves, Jiminez, Jota and Doherty would all improve us ten fold.

beingshe7don

Because United do not have ANY natural wingers in the squad. Especially down the right. If Chong really went in for it hard this summer, he could easily snatch a starting berth from any of the current starters in the roles.

Unless he doubts his natural talent. I can't see him thinking any other way.

He'd only have reason to worry that way if we added two Sancho level or Sadio Mane level players.
Chong just comes across as someone who will be about average for us. Not sure, if he's got what it takes to take it up a notch. I would rather invest in Pepe and have Chong compete with Pepe for that spot.

Castia

15M is a low risk punt. If he ends up being good, we've just made a top dollar deal. Otherwise we can use him as leverage for future transfers.

It’s not so much the fee but the position he fills. If he’s a squad player then fine but if he’s the guy we’ve put all our hopes on then I feel we’ll end up disappointed.

A low risk punt he might be but if he’s not ready then we have to wait another 12 months to sign a winger.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
We would be better off promoting Chong and saving 15 million. I know people think that "anything is better than this lot" but, are situation is not so dire that someone like James would improve us.

Aloysius's Back 3

One of the biggest problems with our squad that I have is -

the lack of left footed players, especially wingers.

I don't mind we get this guy - but literally we only have Greenwood & Lukaku who can use their left foot on the right wing & it's seriously limiting our play.

Messi, Bale, silva, Dybala, Salah, Greizmann, sane, bernardo silva, Mahrez, Di Maria, o. Dembele, Ozil, asensio, Fekir, ziyech, James, lemar, tadic, havertz & the old robben just to a name a few.

beergod

He'd be a good option to have on the bench against tiring legs. Not sure why anyone is complaining about a 15m punt. It'd be a different scenario if he's bought as a first team player mind you but we should perhaps wait till the end of the transfer window before losing our shit...
I'd be shitting myself as a FB if he came on with 15-20 minutes to go. Looks like a decent addition to give Ole an option to change things up off the bench.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Liverpool relies on a championship player as left-back :rolleyes:
Yeah, and a bunch of Southampton players for a lot of the rest!

People talk about Dele Alli and James Madison but then go mad when we go looking for the next one

Like you I am happy to put my faith in Solskjaer's judgement of a player over the CAFs.

SapperBRed75

So everything they have is inferior to our players man for man? The only individual players that will improve us come from teams that performed better than we did this season? (Neves - Wolves, Tielemans - Leicester, AWB - Palace, Rice - West Ham) I’m not sure that I follow...

Last edited:

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Yeah, and a bunch of Southampton players for a lot of the rest!

People talk about Dele Alli and James Madison but then go mad when we go looking for the next one

Like you I am happy to put my faith in Solskjaer's judgement of a player over the CAFs.
Oh no don’t do that over the armchair global scouts on here

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
They also brought Paul Koncesky and Paul Lambert

Maybe we should follow that pattern.
Or we could try and use some football knowledge and see this is a signing of a talented player at a low risk.

The 2 you mentioned were already journeymen.

Don't act like it's the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.