Daniel James - Premier League's new whipping boy?

Discussion in 'Manchester United Forum' started by Fortitude, Oct 20, 2019.

1. Oct 20, 2019

Walters_19_MuFc Full Member

Van Dijk was pissed because Rashford outmuscled him so he took it out on James. The Matip one was ridiculous, though, but as we saw yet again, James is a tough lad. Got him and continued to work his arse off. He's a breath of fresh air.
  2. Oct 20, 2019

criticalanalysis Full Member

I need to see them again but I think he gets into those situations because he's fully committed all the time. It's great as he's got great effort and always pushing the pedal to the metal and disrupting the flow of the game.

However, his dribbling style and touch relies a lot on pushing the ball and running past players at the very very last second. That can only work when you're prime Gareth Bale and got good team movement around you. Otherwise, it's very high risk/reward ratio because it's easy to block off/nip the ball if his stride isn't perfect and there's no space.

Love his attitude. Hopefully when Martial and Pogba gets fit, he'll have someone to play off better.
  3. Oct 21, 2019

Santoryo ripping the reward

Both times he was wrongly booked, especially the second time where there was clear contact on his knee. In fact an actual kick on his knee.
  4. Oct 21, 2019

BlueHaze Full Member

Carragher is a cretin. It's only a matter of time before he spits on someone in the studio.
  5. Oct 21, 2019

tenpoless Full Member

People say Lampard has an IQ of around 150.

Giggs has 210. He played a 5d chess.
  6. Oct 21, 2019

MikeeMike New Member

Just to say he doesn't help himself when he holds his face when slomo shows no contact. then when he really got munched the ref does nothing. Hate faking. Maybe he feels pressure to “get away with it”. Sure he is super fast but I hope he can click on to the next level. Just get up and carry on.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2019
  7. Oct 21, 2019

SmashedHombre Memberus Anonymous & Legendus

Didn't Rojo wipe him out a bit later in the match?
  8. Oct 21, 2019

Frank Grimes Full Member

Both times he was wrongly booked. I played as a winger and once you get clipped while sprinting it's impossible to stay up. He has never dived in any game I've watched him play in.
  9. Oct 21, 2019

el3mel Full Member

I'm afraid the "diver" tag will stick with him when I didn't even remember him diving that much but the media can get this attached to any player fouled a lot easily and once it happens, refs automatically become less interested in giving such player fouls and start giving every 50/50 to the opposition.

I hope the media don't do it to him.
  10. Oct 21, 2019

Stadjer Full Member

Not as hard as Fabinho took out James. Rojo didnt even get a card for it although he could have gotten one for it. The ref wasnt against United during the game.
  11. Oct 21, 2019

lsd Full Member

Hate posts like this . You know he has dived this season on more than one occasion.
  12. Oct 21, 2019

Ekeke Full Member

He's hamming it up, but its very very clear that he's being kicked about
  13. Oct 21, 2019

Anustart89 Full Member

It's weird too because it's usually foreigners they label as divers and ruining the game, but James gets labelled a diver for two non-dives whereas Salah keeps doing his thing with impunity from the press.
  14. Oct 21, 2019

Snow Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down

He has dived fair a bit and falls down easily so I think opposition fans being annoyed is warranted. I can certainly imagine many people on here being angry at him if here playing for a rival.
  15. Oct 21, 2019

Giggs86 Full Member

Ronaldo had the same problem in his first couple of seasons until he bulked up around 2007.

Wasn't a big issue back then though since we had Fergie and Quiroz off the pitch and Keane, RvN, Neville, Scholes and co on the pitch to give him proper protection and rip the refs and opponents a new one when needed.
  16. Oct 21, 2019

SteveW Full Member

A couple of non United supporting mates have been mentioning his diving. Don't really get where it's coming from. He's getting hacked down every 5 minutes. Narrative > reality.
  17. Oct 21, 2019

SteveW Full Member

I think he's dived once all season if at all.
  18. Oct 21, 2019

The Boy Full Member

Supports:
    Brighton and Hove Albion
    Surprised to see you call him a cheetah, I think the lad is honest.

Seriously he was battered out there and needs alot more protection from refs and possibly his own team, when he was down after being shoulder barged by Matip(?) I was shocked when Utd won the ball back you didn't knock it out and we had to wait for a Liverpool player to put it out instead.
  19. Oct 21, 2019

SweetRightFoot New Member

He's small, lightning fast and gets stuck in. That's what you expect to happen and to be fair he seems pretty much used to it. Some players go down like a sack of pig sh*t at any contact (re: Origi going down crying holding his right shin when Lindelof doesn't even put a spot of dirt on his left calf where any contact at all was) but James seems like a tough cookie and can take it. I imagine he'll get us a fair few pens this season.

We do need to keep him fit though, should be treated and rested carefully.
  20. Oct 21, 2019

iluvoursolskjær Full Member

Those couple dives at the beginning of the season have definitely created a perception of him for the refs.

Ole needs to highlight this or the kid is gonna continue to get battered. At least it doesn't deter him though.
  21. Oct 21, 2019

Le Red Full Member

Yet nobody has listed any beyond the absurd couple of yellow cards he received. He's a fighter and doesn't refrain from challenges even when he knows he's gonna be thugged. Reminds me of Messi in that particular quality.
  22. Oct 21, 2019

Shimo Full Member

Both of those today where he got body checked with VVD and Matip throwing their backsides into his upper body, those were proper dirty plays, knew exactly what they were doing but, maybe just right side of legal.

Ole been saying it's a man's game and James had the character to get back at it. He needs to keep doing that but, others in the team need to make sure to stand up for him and Ole needs to make sure he gets to putting it in refs minds that he needs protection.
  23. Oct 21, 2019

Will Singh Full Member

When your traveling at speed it's going to happen as you can't put your brakes on in time but the way he was bouncing of them today was ridiculous. He needs to beef himself up a bit or he will be picking up injuries.
  24. Oct 21, 2019

SeeMe New Member

Supports:
    Porto
    He is like a fearless kid, his type of player need to make some smart decision, can not go for every 50/50 ball, to prevent injury or prolong his football career. If not he will be another Micheal Owen
  25. Oct 21, 2019

lsd Full Member

You know there is this thing called google which works a lot better instead of just asking people you dont know to list things for you . People would be really better if they used that more
  26. Oct 21, 2019

Abe144 New Member

Supports:
    CD Guadalajara
    The van Dijk and Matip challenges were hard but perfectly legal. This is the Premier League isn't?
  27. Oct 21, 2019

Moby Dick who hates the homeless

It was pretty pathetic the way they hacked him all day. The teams pretty much realise the danger he presents to the opposition and that's a testimony to how well he has adapted to the league. Should be our main ball carrier.
  28. Oct 21, 2019

SadlerMUFC Full Member

Poor kid took a pounding today. Thing is, both the tackle from VVD and Fabinho were clean. They took the ball and clobbered James. Being the Canadian that I am, I will compare what he's doing to a hockey player skating with his head down. He is looking too much at the ball and not paying enough attention around him. He needs to be more aware or he's going to keep getting nailed like that. Needs to start slide tackling more. This way, instead of getting body checked, he will go under the check and take their player out and hopefully win the ball as well...
  29. Oct 21, 2019

jackal&hyde Full Member

Yes, that is the feeling i get with him. He is targeted in the same way. Hopefully he sees this as the huge compliment that it is and goes from strength to strength like Ronaldo did. We have a very dangerous player on our hands and potentially a great one.
  30. Oct 21, 2019

Denis' cuff Full Member

I remember at one stage, Hazard was hailed as the “most fouled player in the PL”. in other words, awarded the most fouls. You only had to breath near him. Teams eventually learned to stand off him.
  31. Oct 21, 2019

kouroux 45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

I don'y think that it says in the rulebook if you take the ball, whatever happens next, will always be a clean tackle. This has been a myth peddled by pundits and ex players for decades.

Having said that, I thought VVD's tackle was fine but Fabinho's definitely a foul. Endangering the safety of a player
  32. Oct 21, 2019

SadlerMUFC Full Member

No, you don't have free reign to do whatever you like, but as much as these incidents would have hurt, I didn't see a problem with them...
  33. Oct 21, 2019

Offside Euro 2016 sweepstake winner

He's tiny and rapid. Always going to go flying when he collides with defenders.
  34. Oct 21, 2019

kouroux 45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

Good for you
  35. Oct 21, 2019

poleglass red Full Member

I liked those 2 passages of play where he got hit. Both tackles were very hard but fair, James went down and then got back up, no needless playacting or rolling around like he's been shot. Almost like watching a match from yrs ago, no nonsense tackling and no nonsense reaction. Good to see. I wouldn't want James taking too many hits like that though, that 2nd especially looked sore.You can only imagine the hysterics Klopp would have been doing had it been one of his players.
  36. Oct 21, 2019

DWelbz19 Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Yeah, it unfortunately happens.

Quick, skilful wide players tend to take a battering. The likes of Zaha, Hazard, and Neymar consistently top the charts for most fouled. Three pacy wingers who also tend to top the most successful dribbling charts.
  37. Oct 21, 2019

Buster15 Full Member

Supports:
    Bristol Rovers
    More like 20 mph at best. He is quick but nothing like that quick.
    Anyway. The thing I like is he is brave and not scared of anyone.
    The thing I am not a lover of is the time he takes to get back on his feet again.
    Having said that there was that time in the 2nd half where it looked like he was concussed.
    A very positive signing.
  38. Oct 21, 2019

Pexbo has never watched Star Wars

Ah right, so not 70mph then?
  39. Oct 21, 2019

Baxter Full Member

Ignore the horrible account it’s posted by but I though this was deliberate and cowardly.

40. Oct 21, 2019

roonster09 Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018 Scout

Yeah, that looks deliberate. He even changed the direction once he cleared the ball.