Daniel James - Premier League's new whipping boy?

Rajma

We are the most passive, apathetic team in the league.

Teammate being kicked around the place? Nothing. No player with enough balls to get in someone's face.

Timewasting? Players say nothing.

Bad decisions? A shrug of the shoulders. See De Gea against Everton.

Such a hard squad of players to actually like.
Absolutely, I was screaming at my TV for the players to stand up to the disgraceful refereeing and their cuntishness but instead they just accept it. We don’t put any pressure on refs at all which is what winners do.

DVG7

Jesus, James isn’t being targeted, he’s so fast that he turns 60/40s for the other player into 51/49s for himself.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Thing is that Dean is known for being trigger happy when it comes to cards...
He seems to me to decide what decision he's going to give before something even happens. Like with the Williams yellow card.

He does it so often I genuinely think he needs investigating. If a ref is incompetent on purpose you have to wonder why.

lysglimt

Scout
Heh - we did the same thing in the Ferguson-era, that Burnley did today. We targeted players and kicked the shit out of them. Hell - we did it to our own players in training - Ronaldo got kicked to bits in training to teach him to pass the ball faster.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
It's not just fouls with him, those are very hard and crunching tackles. I don't know how he isn't injured.

norm87cro

He got smashed yesterday and somebody should have been set off but given his frame and the way he plays he is bound to get some dodgy decisions his way so in his case it is always going to be a two way street. Call it a hunch but I wouldn't be suprised if he got a lot of protection in european games

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Heh - we did the same thing in the Ferguson-era, that Burnley did today. We targeted players and kicked the shit out of them. Hell - we did it to our own players in training - Ronaldo got kicked to bits in training to teach him to pass the ball faster.
We did but far less than others of the eras, besides which, it was a given then and every side had their enforcers to bring balance and mete out retribution.

Operative word being eras, as that stuff barely exists outside of South America now.

It's cowardice to try and take a waif of a player out of the game knowing full well there'll be no physical comeuppance for those actions over the course of the 90.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
He is very lightening quick and likes to run past defenders alot, hence he will get kicked alot, its nothing new, happens to every skilful and quick winger/attacker who likes to run with the ball.

Now the thing is, once he got kicked, how will he react? The ref will never going to give fouls and award him freekicks in every tackle he took, especially when he takes more tackle than any other players on the pitch.

So normally he will start to feel unfair and will develop "ways" to protect himself on the pitch, hence what we called "diving" (ie Ronaldo during his early United years), otherwise he may get injured alot. This may give him a bad reputation, and the ref will most likely ignore most of the foul made on him. At this point, he should either fine tune his playing style abit, such as grow more muscular strength and play more wisely (ie Ronaldo at late United years and at Real), or just keep play-acting and diving to the extreme (ie Neymar).

Last edited:

Bobski

Part intimidation and part opposition players being surprised at his pick up of pace, turning 30/70 balls into 60/40 for James.

Nickelodeon

Maguire and co need to really step up and put pressure on the ref. Mee, Taylor and Bardsley all could've been off on another day. Our players need to do their bit towards swinging the decisions our way.

Even on the DDG vs. Everton one, no one was protesting. I genuinely believe that made the decision a simple one for the VAR who was happy to not change it given the lack of protests.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Absolutely, I was screaming at my TV for the players to stand up to the disgraceful refereeing and their cuntishness but instead they just accept it. We don’t put any pressure on refs at all which is what winners do.
"Pressure on refs" results in yellow cards, or red cards. This is not 1999, anymore. Rules are much stricter. Also, with VAR – it's not all about the ref anymore. If anybody needs to be active, it should be manager talking to fourth official. Ole should also make noise about it in press conferences. No need for players to get into ref's faces.

Why criticize our players for not risking unnecessary cards?

P.S. Ben Mee should have gotten a red, no doubt about it.

Last edited:

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
"Pressure on refs" results in yellow cards, or red cards. This is not 1999, anymore. Rules are much stricter. Also, with VAR – it's not all about the ref anymore. If anybody needs to be active, it should be manager talking to fourth official. Ole should also make noise about it in press conferences. No need for players to get into ref's faces.

Why criticize our players for not risking unnecessary cards?

P.S. Ben Mee should have gotten a red, no doubt about it.
I think of you read between the lines, it's the passion that's missing. Sure, Roy Keane shaking players up and giving the referee a telling off could result in a card today but it fires the team up and shows the opponent we won't take it lying down.

Our players are like FIFA A.I. they just walk around aimlessly.

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
I think of you read between the lines, it's the passion that's missing. Sure, Roy Keane shaking players up and giving the referee a telling off could result in a card today but it fires the team up and shows the opponent we won't take it lying down.

Our players are like FIFA A.I. they just walk around aimlessly.
I understand what you are saying and appreciate your sentiment, but with the kind of young team we have I think it's better they take it easy. It would be emotionally satisfying, but can backfire.

I do agree that Ole should complain more in press conferences, on the sidelines and cry the whole "we gotta protect the players" thing. It would be both true and seems to be a popular line, these days. I wasn't a fan when he said "well, James is quick so he will get some beating. I am old school - a player should be able to take some of it". I think that was not good and doubt Fergie would have handled it that way. Too much "honesty"?

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
We did it frequently to Arsenal. Reyes as u say got the worst of it
Arsenal managed to rewrite history that day. We targeted Reyes but they made more fouls and the most fouled player on the pitch was Ronaldo. To quote SAF,
"There were four fouls on Reyes, one from Wayne Rooney, one from Phil Neville and two from Gary Neville.

"Four fouls in the whole match - that hardly constitutes being 'kicked off the pitch'. There were six fouls on [Cristiano] Ronaldo and one of the worst was from Reyes. Patrick Vieira did six fouls before the one he was booked for, a cynical one on Ryan Giggs in the second half."
https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...od-fracas-claims-furious-ferguson-486672.html

United v Arsenal used to go head to head, toe to toe in those games - this idea that we were the uncultured cloggers to the Arsenal purists is just mythology.

In the case of James, he's going to have to ride this out for a while. Refs seem to feel duty bound to let fast wingers get kicked by inferior players as a way to balance things out. It usually takes a couple of years for the media (and eventually the refs) to notice it and they only notice it because a normally great entertainer and star performer gets kicked out of a few games. Teenagers seem to be fair game - unless a team mate is skilled enough in the dark arts to retaliate for them.

Red00012

We are the most passive, apathetic team in the league.

Teammate being kicked around the place? Nothing. No player with enough balls to get in someone's face.

Timewasting? Players say nothing.

Bad decisions? A shrug of the shoulders. See De Gea against Everton.

Such a hard squad of players to actually like.
I was going to post something similar. Butt, scholes , Neville , Keane and Stam would be over straight away.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
The one Burnley player should've got sent off yesterday for the one tackle. It was absolutely a red card.