Daniel Levy

Bojan11

So what’s the cafs opinion on him now? I remember he used to be called a genius on here by a few.

But reality is he lucked out on having one of the best Spurs team in recent times and manager. Yet failed to take any advantage of it.

He failed to back Potch in a few transfer windows. Failed to sell players due to being stingy. Key players like Eriksen left for almost nothing.

Hired a past it Mourinho, who then gave Alderweireld a new 3 year contract. For only to have him sitting in the stands a few months later.

We have a go at Woodward. But the only thing Levy is better at is getting bigger transfer fees for sales. But even that is sometimes detrimental to the team because he lets sagas run on too long. Eriksen should have been sold before the season started and they should have signed Fernandes. Thankfully they didn’t.

Look at the managers he has hired too

Hoddle - Failure

Santini- Failure

Jol - Average

Ramos - Won a trophy, but was a failure in the league. Didn’t help so called excellent transfer negotiator selling Keane and Berba. Berba, which dragged on and they sold on the last day without getting a suitable replacement.

Redknapp - Success

AVB - Failure. Should have got champions league football in his first season especially form Bale was in.

Sherwood - crap

Potch - Success

Mourinho - Early, but it isn’t looking good so far.

This guy has hired a lot of duds. Also hired a few duds at director of football.

Last edited:

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
He's done well for trying to make profit but he's done bad if people want to count winning trophies. I've said it before, the lack of investment to strengthened the squad when they had the prime of Aldeweireld, Vertonghen, Dembele, Eriksen & good attacking full backs cost their chance to win something. Now, they are left with ageing defense, poor full backs with average midfield that nowhere near Dembele level. There are some potential young players in their midfield but still not enough.

New stadium looks very good though, so there is positive. They need to re-start again for rebuilding.

Skills

Snitch
They're not going to be spending - everyone knows that. They invested away their immediate future into that stadium.

AFC NimbleThumb

He was championed for his stubbornness in negotiations but with a player like Eriksen it actually has ended up biting him.

Eriksen was unsettled for some time but they refused to sell him until Inter got him for a cut price.

There was a point a few years ago where Alli’s value was astronomical in a time where transfer fees were going crazy; it would have been shocking to have sold him at the time but will he reach that value again? I doubt it.

He didn’t get the best value from Vertonghen or Alderweireld either. They bought Sanchez but refused to sell either when their values were high.

They nearly won the league & that seemed enough for him.

Scroto Baggins

Supports
Newcastle Jets
He's done well for trying to make profit but he's done bad if people want to count winning trophies. I've said it before, the lack of investment to strengthened the squad when they had the prime of Aldeweireld, Vertonghen, Dembele, Eriksen & good attacking full backs cost their chance to win something. Now, they are left with ageing defense, poor full backs with average midfield that nowhere near Dembele level. There are some potential young players in their midfield but still not enough.

New stadium looks very good though, so there is positive. They need to re-start again for rebuilding.
This, great business acumen, poor on the footballing side of things. But look where Spurs were when he took over in 2000, mid to lower end of the table, just kind of treading water. So I guess you can argue the club has improved over the 20 years he has been in control. Under Redknapp and Pochettino they have had excellent squads capable of challenging for Champions League spots. Under Pochettino they made a CL final.

I still feel they should have backed Pochettino, sell players who had lost interest in the project and bring in fresh young players. Always easier to sack the manager than to try and move on a bunch of players and bring in fresh replacements I guess.

I too agree they need a rebuild, probably will be a similar scenario to the Bale money except it will be the Kane money they will be spending.

Djemba-Djemba

This, great business acumen, poor on the footballing side of things. But look where Spurs were when he took over in 2000, mid to lower end of the table, just kind of treading water. So I guess you can argue the club has improved over the 20 years he has been in control. Under Redknapp and Pochettino they have had excellent squads capable of challenging for Champions League spots. Under Pochettino they made a CL final.

I still feel they should have backed Pochettino, sell players who had lost interest in the project and bring in fresh young players. Always easier to sack the manager than to try and move on a bunch of players and bring in fresh replacements I guess.

I too agree they need a rebuild, probably will be a similar scenario to the Bale money except it will be the Kane money they will be spending.
You could argue that and I'd probably agree with that.

However another valid counter argument is that he took over a mid table side and here we are 20 years later and they look like a mid table side again that will be treading water for the foreseeable future.

And for all the great players and great results they've won one League cup in that 20 years.

Yep, they were also in a mess financially too.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
What is his primary goal with Spurs - to actually win trophies or generate profits?

It does not appear to be both.
I'm becoming more on this. I thought he's generating money but he's actually not generating money as much as he actually could. Letting his players went ageing & also out of contract in their final year just to sell them for peanut.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I don't get this financial acumen angle. Not spending money has dire financial implications as well. Your revenues start to erode when your team becomes irrelevant.
The truth is for majority of the last 20 years under Levy, Spurs have been pretty bad spenders. Pochettino's time there is actually not the norm which makes the decision to sack him all the more galling. He earned the right to rebuild that squad.

He has a reputation, not of being financially savvy, but being hard to negotiate with when selling players.
But the fact that he often takes it to the last moment, means he gets a few more star ££, but at the expense of good planning.

prime example is Berbatov.

remember when they sold Bale, it was like they were let loose in a sweet shop.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/synd...rs-bought-with-the-gareth-bale-money.amp.html

This article goes through those 7 signings and it’s dire. Aside from Erikson, it’s pretty poor.

SirAnderson

He has a reputation, not of being financially savvy, but being hard to negotiate with when selling players.
But the fact that he often takes it to the last moment, means he gets a few more star ££, but at the expense of good planning.

prime example is Berbatov.

remember when they sold Bale, it was like they were let loose in a sweet shop.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/synd...rs-bought-with-the-gareth-bale-money.amp.html

This article goes through those 7 signings and it’s dire. Aside from Erikson, it’s pretty poor.
Wow that is really poor yeah.
Tried the shrewd purchase approach and just wasted the lot of it. :lol:

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
They timed the stadium badly really. For the first time they had a squad and manager that was up there with the best in the league. They should have spent that money on refreshing it and keeping them near the top to cement themselves.

The new stadium is brilliant and i'm sure worth every penny, but what good is it if they can't finish in the top 4 anymore?

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
He's the incarnation of penny wise, pound foolish. He drags his feet to squeeze out every last penny in trifling negotiations only to turnaround and preside over utter failure.

I almost think he lives for the thrill of the negotiation, rather than running a successful football club.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
This lad must be illuminati to able to get Spurs into a super league :lol: Fake it till you make it eh?
Why? This league is 100% motivated by greed and 0% motivated by sporting concerns, Spurs success on the pitch (or lack thereof) is entirely irrelevant. They basically invited the top 15 on deloitte's FML.

Wilt

He‘ll struggle to keep Kane, 20 years in charge with one league cup to show for it.... whoopee! fantastic!

Spurs are now a £billion club, great business but at what cost to the fans.

Last edited:

TheLord

Spurs are considered a top European side without winning the domestic League for 60 years, and without ever winning the tier-one European Cup competition in their history. Simply for that, I’d give Levy top marks!