Daniel Sturridge charged by FA with misconduct over alleged betting breaches | Handed worldwide football ban until June 2020

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Daniel Sturridge has been charged with misconduct in relation to alleged breaches of The FA’s Betting Rules, specifically in relation to Rule E8(1)(a)(ii) and Rule E8(1)(b), during the period of January 2018.

He has until 6pm on Tuesday 20 November 2018 to respond to the charge.

Rule E8(1)(a) – a participant shall not bet, either directly or indirectly, or instruct, permit, cause or enable any person to bet on – (i) the result, progress, conduct or any other aspect of, or occurrence in or in connection with, a football match or competition; or (ii) any other matter concerning or related to football anywhere in the world, including, for example and without limitation, the transfer of players, employment of managers, team selection or disciplinary matters.

Rule E8(1)(b) – where a participant provides to any other person any information relating to football which the participant has obtained by virtue of his or her position within the game and which is not publicly available at that time, the participant shall be in breach of this Rule where any of that information is used by that other person for, or in relation to, betting.
Do the right thing for once FA. Time to dock some points.

Matty7

Didn't Joey Barton get a 2 year ban for this or something similar?

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Do the right thing for once FA. Time to dock some points.
We'd still be above you if they did. :p

Stupid thing to do if true. Did he bet on the Liverpool Chelsea game in the LC? That'd explain him missing an open goal.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Might as well change the thread title. I'll get the 'Free Sturridge' t-shirts ready.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Sounds like he told a friend he was moving to West Brom and that person then put a bet on it.
Pretty scummy of his mate if that's what it is.

GE

Negative Moaning Mentalist
Liverpool should be docked 10 points for this. Make an example of them. Cheats.

Abizzz

Football and everyone connected to football is milking the betting industry. Unless he bet against himself/ his team I find this utterly hypocritical.

Cheech Wizard

Liverpool fan
Supports
Liverpool
Sounds like he told a friend he was moving to West Brom and that person then put a bet on it.
“Or put a bet on me getting injured within 10 minutes of my West Brom debut at Chelsea..”
Would have got short odds like so unlikely to be that.

He might as well be injured, this confirms to me he won’t play again this season if the FA come down hard on him, they’ll have to dish out similar ban to Barton or more.

Idiot. Our ‘squad depth’ just got weaker, and our front three will be less rotated.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Football and everyone connected to football is milking the betting industry. Unless he bet against himself/ his team I find this utterly hypocritical.
Is it not the other way round?

Football exists with or without the betting industry. Sports betting doesn't exist without sports and is piggybacking them or milking them to put it another way.

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
Didn't Joey Barton get a 2 year ban for this or something similar?
After re-reading what Barton did & reading what Sturridge allegedly did, there's a pretty big difference. Betting on your team a few dozen times to win/lose compared to telling your mate you're moving club is quite different, and there's no way to prove or disprove that Sturridge told him/her to bet on it (unless they've intercepted an email which reads something like "It's ya boy Studge. Listen mate, I'm moving to West Brom soon, so get your ass down to Ladbrooks & make some cash."

I expect some form of discipline, but nothing major. Absolutely no chance he gets anything like Barton did. I can't see more than a few months (at worst), really.

Abizzz

Is it not the other way round?

Football exists with or without the betting industry. Sports betting doesn't exist without sports and is piggybacking them or milking them to put it another way.
Don't disagree with that. I just meant the amount of money the clubs, fa's (almost everywhere in Europe), uefa/fifa are taking in from betting sponsorship. I don't have any data but it feels like they've become the biggest customer of advertisement time etc. Feels hypocritical to then penalize players for using the product that is so omnipresent in the modern game (unless it involved foul play of course).

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
Erm.... no.
Yes?

What, you're not meant to tell a single person you're moving until you've actually moved?

"Dinner's almost ready Daniel."
Okay great, but pack your bags after that we're moving.
"What? Where?"
Back to Birmingham!
"... What? Why didn't you tell me! The kids are in school for fecks sake, we can't just move to Birmingham!"
The FA said I couldn't tell a soul in case they bet on it & I got in trouble.

>>>IF<<< he told his mate he's moving, didn't imply that he should bet on it, and his mate goes out to bet on it, then his mate is a dick. >>>IF<<< he tells his mate to run off to the local bookies & put his wage on him moving to West Brom, then he's a fool & deserves any punishment he gets.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Betting companies trick the public all the time by hinting that they’ve received a massive bet on X player moving to Y club with the between the lines being that the person betting has had a tip off.

Well, apparently that is illegal so they should be contacting the police rather than encouraging the public to lay their hard earned cash on the now shitty odds.

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
Betting companies trick the public all the time by hinting that they’ve received a massive bet on X player moving to Y club with the between the lines being that the person betting has had a tip off.

Well, apparently that is illegal so they should be contacting the police rather than encouraging the public to lay their hard earned cash on the now shitty odds.
It's even worse when one of the biggest betting companies in the country is also the biggest sportscaster. Advert for Sky Bet, followed directly by a breaking news rumour that X player might want to leave :lol: So bad. It's hard to believe it's legal.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
It's even worse when one of the biggest betting companies in the country is also the biggest sportscaster. Advert for Sky Bet, followed directly by a breaking news rumour that X player might want to leave :lol: So bad. It's hard to believe it's legal.
I’m pretty sure it isn’t. Aren’t they being investigated for it?

saivet

Imagine this happens a lot. Players tell their mates or people in their circles they are moving or negotiating with X club and some put money on it. Wonder how much this person bet.

Tarrou

Skybet is owned by PokerStars now

Kostur

海尔的老板
Hope he gets banned forever (rightfully so) for that shit celebration and we never ever have to see his stupid face again.

Irrational.

Hope he gets banned forever (rightfully so) for that shit celebration and we never ever have to see his stupid face again.
He literally does have the most annoying celebration in world football that makes him look like an utter, utter prick.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
The FA can feck off if this is about him telling someone about his impending transfer. That's not a sporting bet in any sense and nothing anyone should feel obliged to keep secret.

Betting companies own fault if they take bets on something that stupid that any number of people could have certain foreknowledge of.

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
Skybet is owned by PokerStars now
Ahh, my bad. Fair play.

The FA can feck off if this is about him telling someone about his impending transfer. That's not a sporting bet in any sense and nothing anyone should feel obliged to keep secret.

Betting companies own fault if they take bets on something that stupid that any number of people could have certain foreknowledge of.
That's how I see it, and no, it's not because he's a Liverpool player. Hell, if he gets fecked over this, it might force us to move for a player in Jan, so it'd potentially be a good thing for us :D

Irish Jet

Supports
Anyone but Rashford
Unless he’s actually encouraged his mates to bet on it then it should be a non-issue – Even if it’s against rules it’s unrealistic to assume players wont let their inner circle know what club they’re going to, where they’re moving, future plans etc.

Blame the betting companies for taking bets on such garbage. The transfer odds are literally designed to encourage attaining any inside information.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Things like that must happen all the time though. I remember some cases where massive amounts get dumped on 1 player that are out of the ordinary, and it turns out true.

Inside info is impossible to stop really, it just depends whether it was premeditated like the goalkeeper that ate the pie :lol:

AbduRaheem

This has been going on for years. As far back as I remember. I think where there's money and greed involved there's always gonna be something like thsi or in the form of this sort of thing. Funny enough I remember ir being Liverpool players doing this and if I'm not mistaken it was Bruce Grobblar and a few others?

At the end of the day there has to be some sort of reprisal in place if he is guilty, but can the club be punished for one players actions? Maybe if Sturridge gets fined will the club pick up the ticket? Maybe a better punishment would be for him to get a five match ban with no payment?

Flanders Devil

Agree with this 100%, there was no fixing or sporting implication.

And your point on betting agencies is spot on too - by offering a market they are taking a risk, and the punter is also taking a risk, the odds simply reflect how risky each party thinks it is and bets/accepts accordingly.

Brophs

The One and Only
Unless he’s actually encouraged his mates to bet on it then it should be a non-issue – Even if it’s against rules it’s unrealistic to assume players wont let their inner circle know what club they’re going to, where they’re moving, future plans etc.

Blame the betting companies for taking bets on such garbage. The transfer odds are literally designed to encourage attaining any inside information.
The wording of the rule/the offence he’s charged with means he doesn’t have to have encouraged them to bet on it, simply to have passed on information which he had garnered as a result of his position and which wasn’t publicly available at the time. Plus, usually they don’t tend to pursue these sorts of things unless it can be shown that several people have placed bets as a result of that information and those people are known to the player.

With that said, I don’t think it’ll be an especially harsh punishment. Gambling is the problem that football has little interest in confronting.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Yes?

What, you're not meant to tell a single person you're moving until you've actually moved?

"Dinner's almost ready Daniel."
Okay great, but pack your bags after that we're moving.
"What? Where?"
Back to Birmingham!
"... What? Why didn't you tell me! The kids are in school for fecks sake, we can't just move to Birmingham!"
The FA said I couldn't tell a soul in case they bet on it & I got in trouble.

>>>IF<<< he told his mate he's moving, didn't imply that he should bet on it, and his mate goes out to bet on it, then his mate is a dick. >>>IF<<< he tells his mate to run off to the local bookies & put his wage on him moving to West Brom, then he's a fool & deserves any punishment he gets.
The FA would not charge someone simply for sharing details of a pending transfer.

There are rules. He has obviously broken one in order to be charged.

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
The FA would not charge someone simply for sharing details of a pending transfer.

There are rules. He has obviously broken one in order to be charged.
But that's seemingly what he's being charged with.

• Rule E8(1)(a) - a participant shall not bet, either directly or indirectly, or instruct, permit, cause or enable any person to bet on - (i) the result, progress, conduct or any other aspect of, or occurrence in or in connection with, a football match or competition; or (ii) any other matter concerning or related to football anywhere in the world, including, for example and without limitation, the transfer of players, employment of managers, team selection or disciplinary matters.
  • Rule E8(1)(b) - where a participant provides to any other person any information relating to football which the participant has obtained by virtue of his or her position within the game and which is not publicly available at that time, the participant shall be in breach of this Rule where any of that information is used by that other person for, or in relation to, betting.
If it turns out that all this is is him telling a few folks close to him that he's moving to West Brom & they've put a bet on it, then technically, Sturridge would've broken technically the rules - But I stick by it being a scummy move from the friend who did it.

I find it hard to blame him for that.