Danny Drinkwater

Godfather

To be fair he's actually a pretty fine player, the fact he's English, plays for Leicester and has a name you'd expect in Coronation Street probably taints peoples opinion on him. Watching him play he's a hard grafter, decent on the ball and has great vision (check out some of his through balls for Vardy)

If he was called Fernandez/Morvoux/Bratwurstinger and played in Spain/France/Germany some would rave about him being a hidden gem. Guarantee it. Already seeing Liverpool fans wax lyrical about Seri, a few days ago none of them had fecking heard of the guy.
This is so funny as the exact opposite is the truth

CHKBC

Panic last minute buy by the Chelsea administration amongst other questionable purchases. Little wonder the club has slipped from its previous high standards.

Robbie Boy

Except the but about Seri. He was widely hyped on here before going to Fulham and turning out to be utter shite
Tbf he seemed to be highly rated in general. I had never seen him before Fulham but he was utter wank there.

The rest of the post is the usual silly hyperbole that gets thrown around when totally out of context.

Robbie Boy

Seri was pony too in fairness. That guy is 28, thought he was much younger than that.
That whole Fulham fiasco was a disaster. People tipping them for all sorts of great league finishes. Seri was dreadful though, himself and Vietto seemed like coups at the time :lol:

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
That whole Fulham fiasco was a disaster. People tipping them for all sorts of great league finishes. Seri was dreadful though, himself and Vietto seemed like coups at the time :lol:
Vietto was a coup but he wasn't needed and they used him terribly. He's a complete poacher, similar to Hernandez but for some reason the manager insisted on playing him out wide.

Robbie Boy

Vietto was a coup but he wasn't needed and they used him terribly. He's a complete poacher, similar to Hernandez but for some reason the manager insisted on playing him out wide.
Tbf, his career since leaving Villarreal has been pretty underwhelming. On paper he looked a good signing but he was awful when he played. I also remember him being involved in buildup play a-lot at Villarreal, didn’t see any similarities with Chico back then anyway.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
IIRC Wolves and Fulham were both tipped to be the two best newly promoted teams in PL history.

Has there ever been a prediction that can look so spot on but so wildly far fetched both at the same time?

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
To be fair he was always actually a pretty shit player, the fact he's English, plays for Leicester and has a name you'd expect in Coronation Street probably overrates peoples opinion on him. Watching him play he's a soft grafter, average on the ball and has no vision.

If he was called Fernandez/Morvoux/Bratwurstinger and played in Spain/France/Germany no English club would sign him for ridiculous money, nor would anyone ever heard of him.

Robbie Boy

To be fair he was always actually a pretty shit player, the fact he's English, plays for Leicester and has a name you'd expect in Coronation Street probably overrates peoples opinion on him. Watching him play he's a soft grafter, average on the ball and has no vision.

If he was called Fernandez/Morvoux/Bratwurstinger and played in Spain/France/Germany no English club would sign him for ridiculous money, nor would anyone ever heard of him.
Exactly. Sick of the trodden cliche of “oh if he had a foreign name” that gets thrown around. His idiotic posts just proved that. Sometimes, y’know, players aren’t good enough regardless of their fecking nationality.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Sidwell mark 2.
Was just going to mention him, always combines to mind when thinking of this transfer. Player peaking in underdog team but struggles in bigger set up. Only difference here is Chelsea signed Sidwell on a free. Much easier to unload him a year later than buying a player for 40m.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa

That post would've been even more amusing if @Hullyback had posted it to see if anyone noticed the change of opinion.:lol:

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
We made a profit of £5 million on Sidwell. We'd do well to only lose £25 million on (Manchester United youth product) Danny Drinkwater.
I think Leicester made 30 plus on him. I don't believe we wanted to sell him but the offer was just to good.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I can't remember who said it, but it was spot on. "Kante is so good that he earned Drinkwater a move to Chelsea." I'll always think of that quote when it comes to Drinkwater.

Robbie Boy

The funny thing is that he was fantastic when Leicester won the PL. What people do later in life is hard to predict.
Not too sure what that’s got to do with the tinfoil hat English bias post I quoted.

Anyhow, the likes of Morgan, Fuchs and Albrigton also had great seasons. It was a freak season. It was pretty obvious that Vardy, Kante and Mahrez would be sought after but plenty had a one off season and it was obvious that Drinkwater wasn’t a top class player.

Also, when they bought him, he was actually coming off the back of a relatively meh season. There’s a reason he’s at Burnley now and the idiotic post I quoted is a deeper problem of posters spouting drivel to try make a point that isn’t there. There’s no secret agenda against players of a certain nationality, some players aren’t very good, that’s just a fact.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
The premier leagues bizarre inability to deal with the direct ball over the top to Vardy during Leicester’s title winning season had people thinking his passing was better than it was. He was never good enough.

ivaldo

Solid signing for Chelsea, Kante Bakayoko Fabregas and Drinkwater is fine for a side with as few injuries as they get.
Not fair to do this, but I’m going to do it anyway. :lol:

arthurka

Not too sure what that’s got to do with the tinfoil hat English bias post I quoted.

Anyhow, the likes of Morgan, Fuchs and Albrigton also had great seasons. It was a freak season. It was pretty obvious that Vardy, Kante and Mahrez would be sought after but plenty had a one off season and it was obvious that Drinkwater wasn’t a top class player.

Also, when they bought him, he was actually coming off the back of a relatively meh season. There’s a reason he’s at Burnley now and the idiotic post I quoted is a deeper problem of posters spouting drivel to try make a point that isn’t there. There’s no secret agenda against players of a certain nationality, some players aren’t very good, that’s just a fact.
No I get that was just pointing out that it is hard to tell sometimes how things will pan out. He and Vardy were lethal that year, Dwater could pass in to his running channels with his eyes closed.

Robbie Boy

No I get that was just pointing out that it is hard to tell sometimes how things will pan out. He and Vardy were lethal that year, Dwater could pass in to his running channels with his eyes closed.
I just think it was obvious with him that it was more a case of everything falling into place and him playing well above his level as opposed to that being his actual level.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Not fair to do this, but I’m going to do it anyway. :lol:
:lol::lol: Tbf Kante was and is excellent and bakayoko had just come off a good season with Monaco and fabregas was still good at this point. Add in a midfielder who had played an important role in a title winning side it looked decent on paper! Look at them now though..

arthurka

I just think it was obvious with him that it was more a case of everything falling into place and him playing well above his level as opposed to that being his actual level.
Exactly they were playing out of their skin and you could see they weren´t as good as they were playing. But it clearly fooled Chelsea and the Lions so I would say some here on the Caf should be excused from seeing that to?

Robbie Boy

Exactly they were playing out of their skin and you could see they weren´t as good as they were playing. But it clearly fooled Chelsea and the Lions so I would say some here on the Caf should be excused from seeing that to?
No issues with people who rated him, it was the attitude of the poster that I quoted with his tinfoil hat.

ivaldo

:lol::lol: Tbf Kante was and is excellent and bakayoko had just come off a good season with Monaco and fabregas was still good at this point. Add in a midfielder who had played an important role in a title winning side it looked decent on paper! Look at them now though..
Oh I know, it wasn’t an outlandish thing to suggest at the time, but it has worked out particularly bad. :lol:

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
At Bodymoor Heath for a medical so signing on loan for rest of the season. :rolleyes:

Sort of signing I was dreading. He did well at Leicester but since August 2017 he has started five premier league games and alll the off the field stuff which shows he's lost his focus. Hardly played for Burnley this season. Reminds me of when we signed Sidwell and Cleverley and bar 4/5 games both were awful.

We've also been linked with Joe Hart and Glenn Murray this window. :annoyed:

Member 39557

At Bodymoor Heath for a medical so signing on loan for rest of the season. :rolleyes:

Sort of signing I was dreading. He did well at Leicester but since August 2017 he has started five premier league games and alll the off the field stuff which shows he's lost his focus. Hardly played for Burnley this season. Reminds me of when we signed Sidwell and Cleverley and bar 4/5 games both were awful.

We've also been linked with Joe Hart and Glenn Murray this window. :annoyed:
In fairness, when on form he's a decent finisher and you've struggled for goals. Joe Hart is finished though.

Jimmy Skitz

Supports
Leicester City
Oh Dannyboy, you forced through a move whilst injured, barely played for 3 years and now fans a of a struggling team are upset you're signing for them, how you've ruined your own career.

At least we fleeced Chelsea in your transfer though.

Unlike a lot of Leicester fans I never really bought into the hype as for every through ball to Vardy there were 700 2 yard passes to the CB that just gave you the ball when you had 20 yards of space before they got fed up and twatted it up field

Pow

Supports
Chelsea
Oh Dannyboy, you forced through a move whilst injured, barely played for 3 years and now fans a of a struggling team are upset you're signing for them, how you've ruined your own career.

At least we fleeced Chelsea in your transfer though.

Unlike a lot of Leicester fans I never really bought into the hype as for every through ball to Vardy there were 700 2 yard passes to the CB that just gave you the ball when you had 20 yards of space before they got fed up and twatted it up field
Meh kante was far too cheap. Evens it out id say...