Danny Drinkwater

FujiVice

We should have signed Drinkwater instead of Matic.

Cant even be arsed to white text, this is so ridiculous.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Think he is being overrated in this thread, he is a very average player imo.
It's of course only one game but against Arsenal in the opener I thought Matty James looked more than competent replacing him in midfield. When he went off in the 80th minute for another attacker everything went tits up for Leicester.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
you think 12 months ago Kante and Drinkwater where coming off a season where they where the best midfield pairing in the league..... so i can see why Conte would want him.
And how teams have figured out the big punt to Vardy he's being shown up again for the very average player he is.

Hojoon

Think he is being overrated in this thread, he is a very average player imo.
Agreed. For every time he sets Vardy through with a ball over the top there are another twenty failed attempts. Ndidi looked more impressive.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
And how teams have figured out the big punt to Vardy he's being shown up again for the very average player he is.
don't really agree, think teams did adapt to Vardy and Leicester struggled becuase of that Also Marhez downing tools for the past year hasn't helped, but i think the loss of the great Partnership in the midfield breaking up play the understanding between Kante and Drinkwater when one should break and when the other should stay back.

Personally if i was a manager and i had the chance of having the option of that partnership in my squad i would jump at the chance.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
'If he wasn't English' is more of a cliche than the purported idea behind it, these days...

He's very average, and they'd have probably done better keeping the likes of Chalobah and RLC as rotational options than signing someone like Drinkwater for £30m.
RLC plays a different position and Chalobah has barely played football in the past 2 years and is nowhere near the Chelsea standard.

Drinkwater is okay but more importantly he's what they need. When you're panic buying you want someone that can slot right in or else there wouldn't be much point at all at getting a new player.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Solid signing for Chelsea, Kante Bakayoko Fabregas and Drinkwater is fine for a side with as few injuries as they get.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
don't really agree, think teams did adapt to Vardy and Leicester struggled becuase of that Also Marhez downing tools for the past year hasn't helped, but i think the loss of the great Partnership in the midfield breaking up play the understanding between Kante and Drinkwater when one should break and when the other should stay back.

Personally if i was a manager and i had the chance of having the option of that partnership in my squad i would jump at the chance.
Drinkwater has had one good season in a side that were playing well beyond their usual standards and has since reverted back to his previous level, the level that had seen him released from United and spend time in the championship. All evidence points towards Leicesters title winning campaign being a one off. If Drinkwater was such an accomplished player you would think he would be able to put up even average performances without Kante. Surely that should tell you it was Kante and not he that ran their midfield that season?

On that basis should Conte also buy Huth and Morgan to partner at centreback too?

Theafonis

In love with @Eboue
Supports
Chelsea
RLC plays a different position and Chalobah has barely played football in the past 2 years and is nowhere near the Chelsea standard.

Drinkwater is okay but more importantly he's what they need. When you're panic buying you want someone that can slot right in or else there wouldn't be much point at all at getting a new player.
Chalobah is a solid player. He'll do very well for Watford, but I wish he stayed

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
He's solid but unspectacular. The sort who doesn't get noticed when things are going well, but that's what Chelsea probably need at the moment. Proven to be able to play in a midfield 2, which nowadays is a rarer quality than one might think.

The comparisons to Sidwell are harsh IMO. He's not the sort of signing that would put Chelsea over the top but the sort that is desperately needed if the team wants to compete on multiple fronts.

ti vu

How everyone missed out our legend? Shame on you...

Djemba Djemba

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Chalobah is a solid player. He'll do very well for Watford, but I wish he stayed
Solid just doesn't cut it. Drinkwater is England preliminary squad material, knows the league and is a proven winner. Chalobah has played 48 games (about 28 minutes per game) in the past 3 seasons at 4 different clubs.

That being said Chelsea could have kept him all the same as they are still short in midfield but I can imagine that he wanted to leave to a club that really wants him considering how his last few years have been.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
He's solid but unspectacular. The sort who doesn't get noticed when things are going well, but that's what Chelsea probably need at the moment. Proven to be able to play in a midfield 2, which nowadays is a rarer quality than one might think.

The comparisons to Sidwell are harsh IMO. He's not the sort of signing that would put Chelsea over the top but the sort that is desperately needed if the team wants to compete on multiple fronts.
Sidwell was a decent player who didn't really get a chance.

Anyway, back to the important stuff, this lot would win the league with a couple of decent centre backs...
Carlo Cudicini
Paul Parker
Carlos Cuellar
Herman Hreidarsson
Emanuel Eboue
Paul Pogba
Danny Drinkwater
Zinedine Zidane
Damien Duff
Andrei Arshavin
Didier Drogba

forevrared

Imagine the day we sold Danny, thinking "In 5 years, he'll be the subject of a £40 million bid by the champions and we won't be arsed," just months after we'd missed out on the most expensive player of the summer, £32m Eden Hazard. Bizarre.

Bojan11

£35m for this guy. Zero appearances all season besides community shield. What the hell? This is worse than Fred and Drinkwater can’t have the excuse of settling in a new league.

Why don’t Chelsea get stick for wasting that much on this guy?

I find it funny when people say Chelsea don’t spend much. They spent over £400m in two seasons and wasted a shit load like the Drinkwater transfer.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
It was a strange signing at the time, he's clearly not good enough for a side like Chelsea (I dont care what he did with Leicester) so it's hardly a surprise he hasn't played

AaronRedDevil

Imagine the day we sold Danny, thinking "In 5 years, he'll be the subject of a £40 million bid by the champions and we won't be arsed," just months after we'd missed out on the most expensive player of the summer, £32m Eden Hazard. Bizarre.
I think it's more crazy thinking he'll win the league with Leicester. Hazard one hurts and Aguero, what a team that would be.

Bojan11

It was a strange signing at the time, he's clearly not good enough for a side like Chelsea (I dont care what he did with Leicester) so it's hardly a surprise he hasn't played
Why don’t they just pair him up with Kante for old times sake. Can’t be worse than what they have now in the middle.

But zero appearances is just shocking.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
£35m for this guy. Zero appearances all season besides community shield. What the hell? This is worse than Fred and Drinkwater can’t have the excuse of settling in a new league.

I find it funny when people say Chelsea don’t spend much. They spent over £400m in two seasons and wasted a shit load like the Drinkwater transfer.
Few also praise Chelsea for how quick they wrap up the transfers while forgetting how many players they target and fail to sign.

He will be 29 in a month, wonder what will be his next move.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
Few also praise Chelsea for how quick they wrap up the transfers while forgetting how many players they target and fail to sign.

West Ham

Devil81

He will seeing out that contract or getting paid off.

He's on about 150k from what I've been told and he's never going to get that anywhere else.

dove

Everyone just looks at net spend table where Chelsea look quite good because they manage to sell player for fees that no one else could.