Danny Mills’ combined United/Liverpool 11

TRUERED89

Matip has been pretty decent whenever i've seen him but I think Maguire gets in. On pure talent Pogba gets in the midfield too. Other than that it's hard to make an argument for many more United players though he's obviously trolling.

Let Mills have his banter. Any combined 11 of Liverpool/United over the last 20 years would see at least 10 United players and Luis Suarez being the only pool player there.
Agreed, maybe just squeeze in Slippy G :lol:

sherrinford

De Gea even during his best wasn't nearly as good as Allison, and De Gea these days is a shadow of himself, so he's miles behind Allison. Did you even notice that De Gea lost his starting position, in the Spain squad, to Kepa? Nobody in their sane mind would prefer De Gea to in-form Allison.

Henderson and Wijnaldum are in a better form than Pogba. Liverpool has no need for Pogba, right now. Maybe potentially, if he moved into Liverpool squad, after several months he'd show the talent his fanatics have faith in, but right now - nobody would pick Pogba over midfielders that Liverpool has.

Martial? Seriously? For one, Liverpool doesn't play 4-2-3-1, and secondly, who needs Martial when you have Salah, Firmino and Mane up front? Seriously? He'd be just getting in their way.

Let's face it - the only player we have that Liverpool would even consider is Maguire. And since he's kinda VVD-light, it actually may make sense to prefer VVD-Matip pair over Maguire. Either way - nobody else would even get a consideration. AWB is the only other great player but Liverpool already has TAA so they don't need AWB. TAA is better in attack.
Picking Allison over De Gea at this point in time is very reasonable, but to say that at his best De Gea wasn’t nearly as good is laughable.

Henderson and Wijnaldum couldn’t lace Pogba’s boots. He would walk into a theoretical combined eleven, just as he would walk into Liverpool’s starting lineup. In their side, he would look like De Bruyne, Gerrard, Yaya Toure or Fabregas. And they do need a player like that, like him - it’s the weakest area of their team.

Martial has a lot of ability. Why not 4-2-3-1? Why does it have to be Liverpool’s current formation? The drop in quality from Fabinho and Pogba, and the rest of a combined eleven, to Wijnaldum or Henderson is considerable. Playing a 4-2-3-1 with Firmino at no.10 means Martial instead of one of those two.

Why does it make more sense to go with Matip? Are you saying if you had two Van Dijk’s available in this hypothetical scenario you would bench a Van Dijk for Matip?

el3mel

I was going only on talent and Martial is much more talented that any midfielder other than the two I put in.

As far as Firmino goes - he plays as a F9 already and before Klopp put him there he was a natural 10 his whole career.
Firmino best form with Liverpool is in striker position so it's only logical he will only be put there.

Alabaster Codify7

I agree with him based on talent and form.

Our arguable inclusions would be peak form DDG (feels like a distant memory), peak Pogba (ditto)..... AWB and Maguire are plausible but based on current form I don't disagree with the Liverpool lads being in there.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He's looking to be sensationalist. Either it's on current form, in which case Matip and Henderson for Maguire & Pogba is fair, or it's on what he perceives as overall ability, in which case based on the last year Allison for de Gea is fair.

By putting Allison, Matip & Henderson in, he's going with form on 2 and ignoring it on 1, both in Liverpool's favor.

GBBQ

Its not even trolling, there's not one United player on current form who would improve that Liverpool team.

JNicholas

Supports
Arsenal
Danny Mills is pulling a Tim Sherwood here who did a similar thing for the North London Derby. He's on a wind up.

Firstly, any defender who plays alongside Van Dijk is going to look fairly decent as he covers so well. Matip is a limited defender in great form but a Maguire/Van Dijk partnership would be ridiculous.
Secondly, Paul Pogba won the world cup with France. Without Paul Pogba, France may not have won it. Jordan Henderson won the Champions League, without Jordan Henderson, Liverpool would have still won the Champions League. You get my drift. Plus he's just a better player who hasn't benefited from a consistent, effective system unlike Henderson.
Thirdly, De Gea is a better shot stopper than Allison, which is ultimately what I measure GK's on.

Mic drop.

ILC

Firmino best form with Liverpool is in striker position so it's only logical he will only be put there.
You're really putting too much effort and thought into fantasy combined 11s

el3mel

You're really putting too much effort and thought into fantasy combined 11s
I don't get what too much thought is there to just put players in their positions with their teams in a combined XI in comparison to shifting them to other position to shoehorn one of our play. I honestly think you are the one who over thought this.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Just another average ex-pro who spent a decade plus having United wipe the floor with him every year, who is enjoying this way too much.

Add to the fact that he played for our two biggest rivals, he’s just taking an opportunity to have a dig.

Seaman

Supports
Barnet
Just another average ex-pro who spent a decade plus having United wipe the floor with him every year, who is enjoying this way too much.

Add to the fact that he played for our two biggest rivals, he’s just taking an opportunity to have a dig.
He probably doesnt like United. But he is not wrong. On form no United players get in that team. On ability Pogba and Mcguire doea. But the point is in few years its amazing how much gave changed.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
As bad as it sounds, Mills is kinda spot with the selection — that XI is almost exactly what a Sporting Director would select for Klopp (who has an exhaustive system where certain characteristics are a prerequisite) from the available pool. We should learn to roll with the punches instead of getting agitated and giving social-media attention to gluttonous pundits that might be privately relishing United's downfall. Anyway, wrt. the players that could've/should've been there, there are only three (no room for Martial when the dynamics of Firmino-Mané-Salah are exceedingly effective, would be like splitting up Ribéry-Müller-Robben because you needlessly want to insert someone else in there)...
  • De Gea: you could make a case for him with Alisson's injury, yes. Though if both were fit, Alisson has the edge because he was probably the best goalkeeper in Europe after Ter-Stegen and Oblak last term — whereas De Gea's standing in the elite rungs took an almighty tumble.
  • Maguire: not sure he is the best centerback for a team managed by Klopp. That doesn't make him a bad defender — just that he's a bit incongruent with some of the key tenets of the manager's approach (like maybe Terry under Guardiola in a high line), at least in comparison with Matip (who is proven under the manager).
  • Pogba: the wrong player for Klopp. Magnificent talent and produces a big impact as an individual, but if the manager's ideology calls for relentless team-work and pressing/counter-pressing and cohesion, with little room for bargaining. There's a reason why Klopp prefers a consistent workmanlike trio at Liverpool, who are more than sum of individual parts — it makes life easier for the attackers and liberates the fullbacks, while forming a buffer in front of the defense.
Things could be a wee bit different if Klopp isn't managing the team...but even under laissez-faire management, there's room for only a couple of those players considering their individual best is better than their Liverpool counterparts' (who benefit from better coaching, and playing in a well-functioning and consistent setup).

Can7onA

You're comparing an unbeaten team to one in 12th, there is no comparison.

Betson

Unfortunately you could only make an argument for 2 or 3 of our players at most and on current form you can make a realistic argument that all 11 would be Liverpool players.

In terms of quality they are miles ahead of us right now and will provably finish 30 points plus if not more ahead of us again.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Its not even trolling, there's not one United player on current form who would improve that Liverpool team.
I partially agree.
DDG should be in the combined XI...that's it.

And as for Pogba - when was the last good game he had for us?
When Ole first joined, he had some good games, but that was almost a year ago.
IMO, Pogba is a luxury player who can be used if your midfield is so strong, that you can afford him to have a free role.

If I were LFC manager, I would not get Maguire in, as this may upset the defensive set-up. On ability though, perhaps he could get into the combined XI.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Don’t see anything wrong with that team at all. There’s not one united player that gets above any of those.

:lol: At those that say Pogba gets in ahead of fabinho, Henderson, fabinho. That doesn’t happen, Currently Pogba is nowhere near their form.
They have two Fabinho's? No wonder their midfield is half decent.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
There are Championship teams that I’d replace our lot with. Maguire started off well but you get the feeling we’ve managed to knock all the qualities that might have got him in this combined XI out of him in less than two months.

norm87cro

It obviously not very objective given that Danny is a scouse p... But all in all I'd give them 8 or 9 players in the starting combined 11 currently.

devlinadl

I think this is mostly Mills WUMing and triggering United fans and, to be fair, he's played a blinder :drool:

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
Picking Allison over De Gea at this point in time is very reasonable, but to say that at his best De Gea wasn’t nearly as good is laughable.
Not really. Even at his best DDG was never good at playing with ball and starting attacks. Long ball forward that lands in opponent's feet 50% of the time is unacceptable in modern game. Both Pep and Klopp very specifically chose goalkeepers who are good at kickoff, a weak point of DDG. So yeah - DDG was able to save some magic balls, at his best, but overall Allison is much more well-rounded goalkeeper who contributes better to the team. If you put sentimental feelings aside, you may see it.

berbasloth4

unpopular opinion but its true.

only allison is a question mark cause he has played.

if on form mctominay is added of pogba so he def not in.

Painful truth for us unfortunately.

lsd

The Oracle
Its true and i wouldn't put a utd player on the bench either . The only way I'd have Utd players anywhere near the team is to be their mascots

BusterGonads

Supports
Liverpool
Shame Matip won't be fit for the game. He's gone up a level in the last year, better than Maguire

Everyone talking about whether Pogba or Martial would fit into a Klopp team. This is a combined best 11. No-one said Klopp is managing it. Perhaps it's an Olly team. Would Hendo or Gini make it into an Olly team? Who would get into an Olly team? That's what I want to know

mu4c_20le

Not really. Even at his best DDG was never good at playing with ball and starting attacks. Long ball forward that lands in opponent's feet 50% of the time is unacceptable in modern game. Both Pep and Klopp very specifically chose goalkeepers who are good at kickoff, a weak point of DDG. So yeah - DDG was able to save some magic balls, at his best, but overall Allison is much more well-rounded goalkeeper who contributes better to the team. If you put sentimental feelings aside, you may see it.
His long balls didn't land in opponents feet 50% of the time, where did you get this stat from? All this talk about Pep and the modern game makes you sound like an impressionable young fan.

Warlord

Supports
Liverpool
Shame Matip won't be fit for the game. He's gone up a level in the last year, better than Maguire

Everyone talking about whether Pogba or Martial would fit into a Klopp team. This is a combined best 11. No-one said Klopp is managing it. Perhaps it's an Olly team. Would Hendo or Gini make it into an Olly team? Who would get into an Olly team? That's what I want to know
Matip is back:

---
Joel Matip resumed training at Melwood on Tuesday morning after recovering from a knock sustained prior to the international break.

The issue, picked up during the 1-0 win at Sheffield United on September 28, ruled the centre-back out of the Reds' meetings with FC Salzburg and Leicester City.

However, Matip took part in this morning's session alongside his teammates as Jürgen Klopp's side get ready for Sunday's trip to Old Trafford to take on Manchester United.

Alisson Becker also trained with Liverpool's goalkeepers as he closes in on a return to action following a calf injury.
---

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/368774-joel-matip-injury-latest

sherrinford

I doubt you would find many who would agree with you. Even in this thread there’s a split in opinions regarding which one would play in a combined eleven despite Allison being one of the best around last season and De Gea being a shadow of his former self for a substantial period of time. Allison is going to have to do really well over the coming years if he is to be regarded as having been a better keeper overall when both are finished. Perhaps you should have a look at how objective you are being here? If you were honest with yourself, you may see it...

norm87cro

Allison is top notch. Based on last season anyway. His 1 on 1s are something special (like Dave's shot stopping). He actually beat Aguero 1 on 1 in the 1 2 loss last season (a diving save against a brilliant dribbler) and he did the same to Lingard in the 0 0 last season. He is strong and fearless and prehaps the most similar thing to Big Pete that I've seen in a long time. He probably wouldn't make the first 11 due to injury currently. Personally I would give Maguire, Pogba and prehaps McTominnay a shot at the combined 11. Their system is much better than ours but that doesn't make every single player in their squad superior to ours. For example do people truly belive that Carrick was the better player than Gerrard and that Gerrard wouldn't make the cut for the 2007-2010 United team? Or that Fergie wouldn't find Alonso handy? Mills is subjective and he is risking look like a real t... if we manage to get something out of the game come sunday.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
He's pretty much accurate even Pogba has nothing to do in their starting XI.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
It's not a combined 11 then Danny you bellend.

If you have only chips and you call it fish and chips, you have an IQ of a cockroach.

Last edited:

Stepney73

I take it he's being paid to compare one team on its worst spell in 30 years to another on its best in the same period.

It's hardly rocket science.

Red_Aaron

I think if you dropped our squad into theirs and had klopp manage them for 6 months you'd see a lot more of our players in the line up than you think, quite possibly in areas you might not expect too.

Football is a team game first and foremost and you're currently comparing a team which knows it's system inside out and is flying with maximum confidence to one which is struggling to string 2 passes together and can't buy a win for love nor money.

I've seen enough of Henderson through the years to know he's a limited player but at the moment he has a set job which he follows to the letter and is effective as a result. Talent wise he's not significantly better than any of our midfielders,

stu_1992

As much as it pains me to say it, it's hard to argue against really. On current form why would any of our players get into their team? Yes Pogba has more ability than anyone in their midfield but he hasn't shown it much, although he has been injured. De Gea is probably better overall and probably should be in this team considering Allison has been injured most of the season.

Rendezvous with Ronaldo

Supports
Hartlepool

Surprised to see no thread on this. All the ‘football banter’ pages are having a field day with it on Twitter with ‘Danny Mills’ now trending.

Is he right though? Which of our players would get in currently? Arguments for Pogba > Henderson and Maguire > Matip ?

I’m struggling other than that.

Buzzing for Sunday.
If he was trolling, it would be hilarious. But I think he's serious. Pretty hard for me not to put Maguire and Pogba (provisionally, don't trust him with defensive duties) in a mixed XI.

Sorry, but I hate De Gea's distribution. He can be on the bench. You could possibly get Martial in there for Firmino, but I need a bigger sample size for that.