Danny Mills’ combined United/Liverpool 11

ScouseDipper

Supports
Liverpool
Well to be honest only city players will get into the Liverpool squad as of the moment. The league is a 2 horse title race. Liverpool/city are just in a different class compared to the rest of the league. He was just stating the obvious.

Welbeckham

Alisson is miles better than De Gea ever was, let alone the excuse of a goalkeeper he currently is.

And when it comes to consistency and mentality (it does quite often), many managers would choose Henderson and Wijnaldum over Pogba. Pogba is ridiculously talented, but he isn’t an attacking midfielder or winger, so for player of his position, he’s really lacking discipline. Could absolutely thrive in a different club with a great manager though.

And Maguire vs. Matip is debatable, but it’s for RCB, which Maguire has hardly ever played, and Matip has been really good for the past year, so I think that’s reasonable.

BusterGonads

Supports
Liverpool
Matip is back:

---
Joel Matip resumed training at Melwood on Tuesday morning after recovering from a knock sustained prior to the international break.

The issue, picked up during the 1-0 win at Sheffield United on September 28, ruled the centre-back out of the Reds' meetings with FC Salzburg and Leicester City.

However, Matip took part in this morning's session alongside his teammates as Jürgen Klopp's side get ready for Sunday's trip to Old Trafford to take on Manchester United.

Alisson Becker also trained with Liverpool's goalkeepers as he closes in on a return to action following a calf injury.
---

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/first-team/368774-joel-matip-injury-latest
Yay! If he's ready he will put this Maguire-Matip debate to bed. I like Maguire but Matip is another level at the moment

Olle must have seen how Sheff Utd, Salzburg and Leicester exploited the space behind TAA so his predictable counter-attacking will suit here. If Matip ain't ready, I'd go with the pace of Gomez ahead of Lovren and hope he plays himself back into form

reddevilchennai

Alisson is miles better than De Gea ever was, let alone the excuse of a goalkeeper he currently is.

And when it comes to consistency and mentality (it does quite often), many managers would choose Henderson and Wijnaldum over Pogba. Pogba is ridiculously talented, but he isn’t an attacking midfielder or winger, so for player of his position, he’s really lacking discipline. Could absolutely thrive in a different club with a great manager though.

And Maguire vs. Matip is debatable, but it’s for RCB, which Maguire has hardly ever played, and Matip has been really good for the past year, so I think that’s reasonable.
De Gea for from 2013/2014 to 2018 end was on another level. He literally carried United on his back saving many points throughout the seaon and was rightly awarded 4 POTY awards.DeGea doesn't come out for corners or have the passing like Ederson, but he is phenomenol is in own ways.

Comparing Alisson with DeGea is like comparing Salah with Ronaldo or comparing VVD with Vidic/Ferdinand.

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
Ha ha ha - Danny Mills is such and fool!

Coxy

Sadly he's not that wrong. Pogba, De Gea and maybe Maguire might have a shout.

Halal Jalal

No Pogba :lol: He's two levels above any of those Liverpool midfielders!

Other than him though, you can't really argue against that selection. Matip/Maguire is close, I think many people pick Maguire simply because of the price tag (Matip was free transfer) but performance-wise there's not much difference.

Prime, in-form De Gea vs Alisson would be close too but at the moment it's no contest.

Woodward should be put in jail for spending close to a billion to assemble this team.

Smashin

Supports
Sporting CP
Kinda depends on how you look at it, if its a mixed team yea i guess Pogba could get a spot.
However considering how Liverpool is setup, hardworking with the team being above any player, it's not that hard to imagine Pobga would not fit in it.

ILC

I don't get what too much thought is there to just put players in their positions with their teams in a combined XI in comparison to shifting them to other position to shoehorn one of our play. I honestly think you are the one who over thought this.
It doesn't say anywhere there's a specific formation, specific style, specific coach etc. It's literally combined 11 best players from both teams. Martial is better than Henderson and Milner so I put him in.

reddevilchennai

Wow, just wow. The amount of peope saying that prime DeGea was no match to Allisson in this thread is too much.

Comeon guys De Gea was superhuman from 2013/2014 to 2018 end.

Last edited by a moderator:

Untd55

Other than him though, you can't really argue against that selection. Matip/Maguire is close, I think many people pick Maguire simply because of the price tag (Matip was free transfer) but performance-wise there's not much difference.

Prime, in-form De Gea vs Alisson would be close too but at the moment it's no contest.

Woodward should be put in jail for spending close to a billion to assemble this team.
It still doesn't mean that he is wrong. They have just won the Champions League and now they are 8 points clear at the top of the Premier League. Would Pogba actually improve Liverpool? I don't think so. They have maximum points this season and the second-highest goal tally and the least goals conceded. What effect would Pogba have on the Liverpool team that would make them so much better?

He isn't good enough in terms of pressing, which is fundamental to their play.

People keep saying that they need/could improve their midfield, but they seem to be doing alright at the moment. Maybe they don't need to improve their midfield at all?

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
Pogba two levels above Fabinho? At any stage during his United career has Pogba played as well as Fabinho is right now? And if so, is it ‘two levels’ above?

I happen to believe Pogba is an excellent footballer, but he hides it quite well at times.

tomaldinho1

Matip's a bit underrated here. He's quality and as good as Maguire IMO.
Was also free.... for me the CBs who look good are generally the ones who are flanked by top full backs, people always talk about VVD but the stability at Liverpool comes from the whole back line + Alisson. If we signed VVD, not a lot would change despite him being much better than our CBs individually.

el3mel

It doesn't say anywhere there's a specific formation, specific style, specific coach etc. It's literally combined 11 best players from both teams. Martial is better than Henderson and Milner so I put him in.
You are supposed to pick players from their position in the club if you are building a combined XI. Anyway as you like.

And not Milner is a very good midfielder who is extremely underrated. The entire Liverpool midfield is very underrated anyway.

Mr Parker

Supports
Liverpool
Martial might have more talent than Henderson and Milner but he hasn't come anywhere close to fulfilling it. Henderson and Milner have both had more successful careers and played at a higher level much more consistently than martial has. The only way Martial gets in a combined 11 with these two clubs is if you base it on talent and talent is only used when a player is yet to fulfill his potential. Nobody does a combined 11 based on talent.

Hammondo

Surprised to see no thread on this. All the ‘football banter’ pages are having a field day with it on Twitter with ‘Danny Mills’ now trending.

Is he right though? Which of our players would get in currently? Arguments for Pogba > Henderson and Maguire > Matip ?

I’m struggling other than that.

Buzzing for Sunday.
Agree about Maguire but pogba and Henderson are not doing the same jobs.

Welbeckham

De Gea for from 2013/2014 to 2018 end was on another level. He literally carried United on his back saving many points throughout the seaon and was rightly awarded 4 POTY awards.DeGea doesn't come out for corners or have the passing like Ederson, but he is phenomenol is in own ways.
Goalkeeping is quite subjective. I personally think De Gea has to make all those saves partly because he doesn’t dare to come out of his line. He doesn’t have the confident and commanding presence of a world class goalkeeper. His distribution is poor and he never had the leadership and football brain of the best German and Brazilian keepers of the decade.

Look how comfortable and brave Ederson is to leave his line, picking up crosses and through balls, not to mention with the ball in his feet. These keepers have been absolutely revolutionary after the mediocrity Pool and City had before them. I don’t think De Gea ever had the same impact, not for us, not for Spain NT.

He was always a flashy goalkeeper, one that looks impressive if you only look at him when he’s making saves. Other than that, he’s scared to get involved and hardly helps his team-mates apart from making few dramatic saves once in a while. It’s not enough if you look at the bigger picture.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
It's a sad day when the opinion of Danny Mills is considered worthy of its very own thread on Redcafe.

sherrinford

Martial might have more talent than Henderson and Milner but he hasn't come anywhere close to fulfilling it. Henderson and Milner have both had more successful careers and played at a higher level much more consistently than martial has. The only way Martial gets in a combined 11 with these two clubs is if you base it on talent and talent is only used when a player is yet to fulfill his potential. Nobody does a combined 11 based on talent.
Completely disagree. If all three retired tomorrow I would have Martial down as better than both. And everyone does a combined eleven based on talent - it’s a entirely theoretical scenario, surely you pick players based on their ability?

andy dufresne

I guess at the present time , very few , if any (maybe a toss up between perhaps Liverpool and our Goalkeepers on a good day) of the current Man united Players would get in the combined eleven

But these things do as we all know go in cycles ....For years , the only Scouser who would have made it into a combined 11 would have been Steven Gerrard , no argument there and perhaps Suarez in that Season where he was terrific for them
Some might mention Owen or Fowler but you know what I am saying ...
United's 11 under the many Teams Fergie created and managed would be top heavy in those combined elevens - FACT !

Mr Parker

Supports
Liverpool
Completely disagree. If all three retired tomorrow I would have Martial down as better than both. And everyone does a combined eleven based on talent - it’s a entirely theoretical scenario, surely you pick players based on their ability?
what good is ability or talent when you can't put it into action on the pitch? Surely a best 11 or an award is based of what you achieve on the pitch and not your talent level? Pogba for example has the talent to be one of the best midfielders in world football but he hasn't played anywhere near the level his talent suggests he should so would not make it into the team. Same goes with martial. What has he done to warrant splitting up one of the best attacking trios in world football? Can you honestly say martial has done a better job for Utd than Milner or Henderson have for Liverpool?

RMD83

I’m really not sure how you could come to that conclusion. Firstly why would you compare martial to Milner and Henderson? They are solid team performers in midfield where as martial is massively inconsistent and an attacker. For example you could argue martial has far more ability than Roy Keane in terms of skill, flair and speed but does that make him a better player? The answer is clearly no.

sherrinford

what good is ability or talent when you can't put it into action on the pitch? Surely a best 11 or an award is based of what you achieve on the pitch and not your talent level? Pogba for example has the talent to be one of the best midfielders in world football but he hasn't played anywhere near the level his talent suggests he should so would not make it into the team. Same goes with martial. What has he done to warrant splitting up one of the best attacking trios in world football? Can you honestly say martial has done a better job for Utd than Milner or Henderson have for Liverpool?
I am talking about what he has put into action on the pitch - that is the only way in which anyone here can make a judgement on his ability/ talent/ whatever else you want to call it. Pogba is the same - he walks into the midfield in a combined team precisely because he has the talent to be one of the best midfielders in the world. He has shown that ability on the pitch - that is how we know he has that quality.

Picking a best eleven in this fashion isn’t the same as selecting for an end-of-season award - it’s not a combined United-Liverpool team of the year from last season, or a team of the year for this season so far. Just as selecting a world team of the year is not synonymous with selecting a world’s best eleven, or a particular club’s player of the year is not necessarily the best player at that club.

Also, no-one is suggesting splitting up one of the best attacking trios in world football. The idea is to find a better option than one of the weakest players in Liverpool’s team.

I’m really not sure how you could come to that conclusion. Firstly why would you compare martial to Milner and Henderson? They are solid team performers in midfield where as martial is massively inconsistent and an attacker. For example you could argue martial has far more ability than Roy Keane in terms of skill, flair and speed but does that make him a better player? The answer is clearly no.
It’s very simple really - it was proposed that a 4-2-3-1 with Martial ahead of the Liverpool attacking trio was a stronger lineup than a 4-3-3 with Henderson in the midfield behind said trio. Ability/ talent/ quality - to be clear, what I’m saying is I think Martial is a better player than Henderson. I do not think he is a better player than Keane.

thepolice123

I am talking about what he has put into action on the pitch - that is the only way in which anyone here can make a judgement on his ability/ talent/ whatever else you want to call it. Pogba is the same - he walks into the midfield in a combined team precisely because he has the talent to be one of the best midfielders in the world. He has shown that ability on the pitch - that is how we know he has that quality.

Picking a best eleven in this fashion isn’t the same as selecting for an end-of-season award - it’s not a combined United-Liverpool team of the year from last season, or a team of the year for this season so far. Just as selecting a world team of the year is not synonymous with selecting a world’s best eleven, or a particular club’s player of the year is not necessarily the best player at that club.

Also, no-one is suggesting splitting up one of the best attacking trios in world football. The idea is to find a better option than one of the weakest players in Liverpool’s team.

It’s very simple really - it was proposed that a 4-2-3-1 with Martial ahead of the Liverpool attacking trio was a stronger lineup than a 4-3-3 with Henderson in the midfield behind said trio. Ability/ talent/ quality - to be clear, what I’m saying is I think Martial is a better player than Henderson. I do not think he is a better player than Keane.
Combined XI or Best XI is usually based on current form and performances. Its ridiculous to judge it on talent and reputation.

By your reasoning of ability/talent be it past or present shouldn't Mata make a case of being in it over Henderson as well? Heck even Sanchez who is still our player can fit into the "talented" 4-2-3-1 formation.:houllier:

If Pogba and Martial are to be included, Wiljnaldum and Henderson/Fabinho will have to be taken out. We can make a case for the Pogba and Henderson swap but I don't think Martial is so much better than Wijnaldum and Fabinho.

Last edited:

Josep Dowling

Really depends how you look at it. On an individual basis you could argue AWB, Maguire, Pogba and De Gea get in to the best team.

But would Pogba get into Liverpool’s midfield? Doubtful, he doesn’t work hard enough, he isn’t very good at tracking back.

Danny Mills is just trying to make a name for himself and it’s worked. It’s been all over social media.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
What’s AWB done to match TAA? I’m at a loss on this one?

Mr. Meeseeks

So Danny Mills just hammered another nail into the coffin holding the remains of Sky's journalistic integrity. He tied himself into knots to exclude the United players who would obviously make the team.

He chooses not to consider form when picking Allison because he views him as the better player despite being injured, which is fair enough. But when considering the midfield and defence, form is the only reason he excludes Pogba and Maguire. So what exactly is this list? Is it which team has the better players in each position or is it which players are the most in form? My personal view is neither, it is just another example of the anti-united agenda the media just cant seem to get enough of. An agenda so lucrative that Danny chose to ignore his own logical faculties to write this piece.

Or maybe he doesnt have any logical faculties. That would explain a lot actually..

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Danny Mills has for some very odd reason gone quiet on this subject this season. I have no idea why. I'll offer him a helping hand:

Henderson
AWB - Lindelof - Maguire - Shaw
Fred - Pogba
Greenwood - Bruno - Rashford
Cavani​

TrustInOle

Danny Mills has for some very odd reason gone quiet on this subject this season. I have no idea why. I'll offer him a helping hand:

Henderson
Fred - Pogba
Cavani​
:lol:

SinNombre

Well to be honest only city players will get into the Liverpool squad as of the moment. The league is a 2 horse title race. Liverpool/city are just in a different class compared to the rest of the league. He was just stating the obvious.
We should ban all scouse newbs who join when they are doing well.

Provide zero value to the forum outside of nonsense.

Gator Nate

Henderson
Fred - Pogba
Cavani​
100% accurate.

Doracle

Henderson
Fred - Pogba
Cavani​
Being serious, I think Salah would get in on this season’s form and Fabinho in place of Fred. However, I think it’s perfectly sustainable to argue that the other 9 should be as stated.

alexthelion

Henderson
Fred - Pogba
Cavani​
:lol:

Deery

Dreary

Henderson
Fred - Pogba
Cavani​
Has he got a Twitter account??