Danny Murphy - The Pundit

Sigma

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36934956

Just watching the highlights of the game

He says: [Vardy didn't go down in the box for his goal] - 'Got to give him credit for not going down' (giving him credit for not cheating? :lol:)

Also,

[On Zlatan's header] - 'Powerful header isn't it' :lol:

a_devil_inside

Big footed hermaphrodite
A lot of commentators praise the player for not going down, but every player should use their natural instincts and try to stay balanced and on their feet like you would if you tripped up walking down the street.

Murphy is alright though, hated him as a player though.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Tosser slightly less irritating than Macca but listening to Murphy you'd think he was Baggio. Macca at 76 mins on the clock stated "that's a stupid challenge from Bailly with 12 mins still to go" wtf

stepic

He's an idiot. If Jose wanted Mata sold he wouldn't be playing him at all, like Schweiny.

adamwest

Bitter bitter man. It's a disgrace he's on the bbc payrol.

GE

Negative Moaning Mentalist
Absolute bitter bastard. He didn't have one positive thing to say about United today and his view on the Mata substitution was bullshit. Wanker of a man.

C'est Moi Cantona

Fellaini apparently passed the ball slight too hard to Rooney, and this was the main reason he sliced it horribley wide, nice one Danny, the Rooney status quo is still in place for the coming season I see.

Last edited:

nemanja15

I don't mind him usually, a pretty no-nonsense talker (indeed, my parents know him so always listen out for what he has to say), but I thought he got so much wrong in comms today. The tackles on Lingard and Herrera were fine, for example, and as you said @Untied, his suggestion about Mata was pretty wild. Also said something along the lines of Bailly would have been lucky to stay on the pitch in the Premier Leage after a string of yellow/red card tackles, overlooking the fact he was probably our best performer on the day and ignoring all the good things he did.

Untied

He's an idiot. If Jose wanted Mata sold he wouldn't be playing him at all, like Schweiny.
They conveniently edited out the laugh Mata had with Mourinho as well

Irrational.

As I've posted on the Bailly thread, he thought Bailly was lucky not to be sent off today and would be walking if it was a PL game.

No mention of the two footed lunge on Mata by that pointy chinned, using-a-cast-as-a-fashion-accessory sewer rat Vardy, though.

Untied

What did he say about Mata?

I have always found his commentary to be boring.
He doesn't believe the explanation that it was to add height for defending set pieces. He believes it was Mourinho letting Mata know, and everyone else know that he isn't in his plans for the future: That he has embarrassed the player in front of the fans and embarrassed him in front of his family and friends.

eggwithsideburns

He doesn't believe the explanation that it was to add height for defending set pieces. He believes it was Mourinho letting Mata know, and everyone else know that he isn't in his plans for the future: That he has embarrassed the player in front of the fans and embarrassed him in front of his family and friends.
How is he meant to know that? :/ I guess he can read Mourinho's mind then.

I don't like him even more now. :nono:

dwd

Saturday Night Spies
As I've posted on the Bailly thread, he thought Bailly was lucky not to be sent off today and would be walking if it was a PL game.

No mention of the two footed lunge on Mata by that pointy chinned, using-a-cast-as-a-fashion-accessory sewer rat Vardy, though.
He said that was a decent tackle and if tackles like that are bookings 'then football is gone.'

noodlehair

"It's like..."
BBC in general are good for brainless commentary. Particularly liked the Everton FA Cup game last year where they felt the need to repeatedly point out that United "weren't used to playing at the new Wembley" as it was "such a rarety" for them...it wasn't even the first time United had played Everton there in an FA Cup semi final. They have also I would guess played there more times than literally any other team in the entire world apart from England.

The Euros were also constant entertainment. Favourite moment was Jonathan Pearce's 5 minute conversation with himself about the time he had a conversation with himself because he mistook a reflection of himself in the mirror for another person (no, really).

Fingeredmouse

Staggeringly shit. A series of pathetic old school if-that's-a-booking-we-might-as-well-go-home cliches, ludicrous positions based on embittered prejudice or what I can only assume are attempts to be controversial (Mourinho is evil and publicly shaming Mata) all held together with a glue of monotone slaphead miserablism.

I am actually missing the depressed camp Lancashire hairdresser that is Lawrenson. Murphy actually annoys me. Long time since I've listened to 5 live, but he was ever co-commentator with Alan Green I'd probably punch crap out of a passing squirrel in sheer frustration at the critical mass of utterly wrong, Daily Mail dourness I'd be exposed to by two men well paid to watch and know a bit about football.

GlasgowCeltic

capable of adding misery to even the most exciting moments by seemingly starting every sentence with a slow, sighed "well....", (cf Lingard's goal)

Also seems to believe any situation on a pitch can be resolved by "sticking it on" someone

Born2Lose

I can never understand why he's always got a face like a slapped ass when he's got such a hot wife.

red_devil83

He was full of shit tonight. Blatantly supporting English players and Rooney for being shit or making bad fouls but slagging off Zlatan and Bailly (presumably because they're foreign).

Fellaini's pass was why Rooney hit such a shit shot? :lol:
That slide tackle from behind (can't remember on who) - said they were unlucky to get a yellow

Redanimator

Seems like he's graduated from the "Savage School of Sham Controversial Punditry."
It's like verbal clickbait. I can't stand the man.

AkaAkuma

I noticed as he was doing his Mata speech that it was dawning on him what he was actually saying. Im guessing with his bald head, the sun got to him and he just lost it. Needs a glass of water to cool down.

Litch

Soooo biased it's untrue. Could they find anything but ex-scousers to comment on our games.....

Chief123

Unless I’m missing something, why is Danny Murphy so surprised that Mbappe isn’t playing on the right hand side? He plays virtually all the time from the left now.

kaku06

Unless I’m missing something, why is Danny Murphy so surprised that Mbappe isn’t playing on the right hand side? He plays virtually all the time from the left now.
Because it’s Danny Murphy.

Chief123

Because it’s Danny Murphy.
I find it such poor and lazy punditry when they don’t do their research. It’s like when EPL pundits keep referring to Rashford as someone who can play from the right despite him never having performed playing from the right.

Apparently surprised Mbappe isn’t playing off the right even though Mbappe hasn’t played on the right for 4 years.

kaku06

I find it such poor and lazy punditry when they don’t do their research. It’s like when EPL pundits keep referring to Rashford as someone who can play from the right despite him never having performed playing from the right.
I agree, makes me mad these so called pundits are such lazy arseholes not to even know the position of players yet they are paid to give their opinion on all things football. If only there was justice in this world.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
Because he's an idiot

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
There are few people in the world I hate but he's one of them. Absolute waffler and continuously says the opposite of what is actually true.