Danny Rose won't be forced out of Spurs, wants to leave on a free

Chipper

Adulterer.
I'm a bit confused by that.

He's on low wages so when the club wanted to sell him in the summer he said "No, I like low wages, please keep me on these wages for the next 2 years. At that point I'll leave, aged 31 when my age will be a factor when it comes to how long a contract and how much money others are likely to offer me."

Why didn't he just leave in the summer for more money if that's what he wants and thinks he can get?

You dig your heels in and stay when the club is clearly paying you too much like Winston Bogarde at Chelsea etc.

GloryHunter07

Another player wanting a big contract on a free after years of relatively small wages at Spurs? Is he asking for a payoff if he's going to leave sooner here?

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/nov/13/danny-rose-tottenham-not-going-anywhere-contract
I think he is basically saying that Levy has been playing games on the contract etc.

So now Rose wont enable a transfer (which levy wants), and will walk away for free. Good luck to him, hopefully he stays healthy.

Sylar

He's on low wages so when the club wanted to sell him in the summer he said "No, I like low wages, please keep me on these wages for the next 2 years. At that point I'll leave, aged 31 when my age will be a factor when it comes to how long a contract and how much money others are likely to offer me."

Why didn't he just leave in the summer for more money if that's what he wants?
I think its a Ramsey/Sanchez type situation. If he was 'sold' then a team buying him puts more money into transfer thus has less left over for wages. Whereas on a free, signing bonus and wages can be increased.

I think. Thats my take anyway without really reading it.

GloryHunter07

Why didn't he just leave in the summer for more money if that's what he wants and thinks he can get?

You dig your heels in and stay when the club is clearly paying you too much like Winston Bogarde at Chelsea etc.
I know what people were trying to do in the summer. There were no bids – that was rubbish.
Sounds like Spurs were playing hardball and refusing bids?

Classical Mechanic

I think its a Ramsey/Sanchez type situation. If he was 'sold' then a team buying him puts more money into transfer thus has less left over for wages. Whereas on a free, signing bonus and wages can be increased.

I think. Thats my take anyway without really reading it.
To give context to Sylar's point Ramsey's contract at Juventus is worth £400k a week and he received a £8m signing on bonus. He basically got to absorb most of the transfer fee the club would receive if they sold him under contract into his wages.

If Spurs try to push Rose to sign for a club they want to sell him to his contract negotiating position is severely weakened.

If he leaves on a free he's in complete control to cash out in a big way or play for a club that appeals to him lifestyle wise or ideologically.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
He's a very strange chap, first it was the 'I will be playing in the north' line a few years ago, then openly admitting he hates football and cant wait till he retires and now this

Also very strange how Spurs left him off their tour because they wanted him gone and yet he says he has no problems with Poch? Who made the decision to leave him off the tour if it wasn't Poch?

Strange strange strange

Chipper

Adulterer.
To give context to Sylar's point Ramsey's contract at Juventus is worth £400k a week and he received a £8m signing on bonus. He basically got to absorb most of the transfer fee the club would receive if they sold him under contract into his wages.

If Spurs try to push Rose to sign for a club they want to sell him to his contract negotiating position is severely weakened.

If he leaves on a free he's in complete control to cash out in a big way or play for a club that appeals to him lifestyle wise or ideologically.
I understand the principle of that, but doesn't Rose's age of his contract being up throw a big spanner works there from his side of things?

If Juventus wanted to buy a 28 year-old midfielder with Ramsey's ability he's probably going to cost a bit so they might think they're better off, or at least no worse off by going for him and giving him the money they would otherwise have paid as a fee for a different but similar player.

What do 31-year old full backs go for? I'd say little to nothing so it could make it quite different. He'll have absolutely no re-sale value (not that Ramsey will have much either in his example). We also know that clubs are often reluctant to offer anyone over the age of 30 more than a 1 year extension because they fear them suddenly declining so in theory the same should apply for offering over 30s fat contracts when you sign them on a free.

It could work out for him financially, but I think it's a bigger risk from his from perspective than Ramsey if that's a big consideration for him.

Edit:

Just pulling some numbers from my backside, so not about Rose as such:

-Player is 29, has 2 years of his contract left at £100k/week
-A team wants to buy him, would offer £150k/week on a 4 year deal
- If he stayed and left on a free he'd need to be offered a £200k/week 2-year deal at 31 to equal what he'd have got in total if he left now, and more than £200k/week if he wants to come out on top - might be a bit much for interested parties?

Signing bonuses not included in the above.

Last edited:

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Cant blame him...

Did anybody make a bid high enough for spurs... probably paper talk but didn't they want 45 million for him...
I think his wages are "relativley" low at 50k a week... but the spurs asking price (if true) would put off most teams I think

Chipper

Adulterer.
Sounds like Spurs were playing hardball and refusing bids?
Cant blame him...

Did anybody make a bid high enough for spurs.. probably paper talk but didn't they want 45 million for him...
I think his wages are "relativley" low at 50k a week... but the spurs asking price (if true) would put off most teams I think

Yes, that does seem to be the issue. I got it a bit wrong by saying he said no to being sold in the summer, although he's certainly saying it now.

Still find it all a bit confusing or contradictory on a basic level. I'm probably guilty of reducing to a level that's too simple and I could do that with Spurs too.

In telling him they're not offering him a new contract, and as his contract his running down they're indicating to him and everyone else that they don't want him on that simplistic level. If you do that at the same time as seemingly wanting a load of money for him it gives off mixed signals. Why ask for so much considering the situation, and if he's worth so much to you then why aren't you giving him a new contract? At the same time we have Rose now insisting he's staying no matter what despite actually wanting to leave. :lol:

Now Spurs shouldn't just jump at the first offer, but they don't really have a strong hand to play and you'd think they'd have come to some sort of deal in the summer.

Last edited:

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Hey! You leave Winston out of this.

T_Model101

I actually think it's quite a principled stance from him. There is often far too many petty power plays and games in football and it wouldn't surprise me if he's sick of it all. He's signed a deal that both sides agreed too and wants to leave on terms that suit him.
About time someone stuck it to Levy :lol:

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I don't blame him and I think this is sort of where we're heading, due to the ridiculous asking prices clubs are asking for players will have to run down their contracts to get their moves. I know it isn't the popular opinion but I always feel the balance of power in transfers heavily favours clubs over the players, players are villainised for forcing moves (and fair enough it can be unprofessional) but if the club is demanding a price way over your self-perceived value can you really blame them sometimes? I think there's a gray area to be explored there. In my opinion, values these days far outweigh the players' actual worth and players are sort of expected to deal with it, take Longstaff this summer, never in a million years is he a £50m yet that's what Newcastle were demanding.

Rose is just a number of Spurs players lining up to leave, Vertonghen, Alderweireld and Eriksen are all looking for the door by running down their contracts because of the absurd valuations placed on them, not to mention how notoriously difficult Levy is to deal with. I'm pretty sure Rose was actually at Watford's training ground this summer which is surely an indication of interest in leaving.

Mihai

He's a very strange chap, first it was the 'I will be playing in the north' line a few years ago, then openly admitting he hates football and cant wait till he retires and now this

Also very strange how Spurs left him off their tour because they wanted him gone and yet he says he has no problems with Poch? Who made the decision to leave him off the tour if it wasn't Poch?

Strange strange strange
He was also tired of having to Google all spurs signings at one point.

Irwin99

I don't blame him and I think this is sort of where we're heading, due to the ridiculous asking prices clubs are asking for players will have to run down their contracts to get their moves. I know it isn't the popular opinion but I always feel the balance of power in transfers heavily favours clubs over the players, players are villainised for forcing moves (and fair enough it can be unprofessional) but if the club is demanding a price way over your self-perceived value can you really blame them sometimes? I think there's a gray area to be explored there. In my opinion, values these days far outweigh the players' actual worth and players are sort of expected to deal with it, take Longstaff this summer, never in a million years is he a £50m yet that's what Newcastle were demanding.

Rose is just a number of Spurs players lining up to leave, Vertonghen, Alderweireld and Eriksen are all looking for the door by running down their contracts because of the absurd valuations placed on them, not to mention how notoriously difficult Levy is to deal with. I'm pretty sure Rose was actually at Watford's training ground this summer which is surely an indication of interest in leaving.
Agree with all that. Also think this is a huge factor in where Spurs are right now as they are a much better team than what they’re showing. Too many players want out and morale looks low.

OverratedOpinion

Fair enough, I'm not sure anyone will be offering him the type of wages he is hoping for when the time comes but good luck to him.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

Probably because there was no real offers interesting for him in terms of wages

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
People wonder why Poch can't get results.

That's 4 first team players who definitely want to leave. There could be more.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Serves Levy right. He's used players as pawns for long enough; now he's got a bunch of players who are going to make him pay on the other end for that.

He thought things were one way, but it's the other way.

fps

Serves Levy right. He's used players as pawns for long enough; now he's got a bunch of players who are going to make him pay on the other end for that.

He thought things were one way, but it's the other way.
Certainly some unexpected chickens coming home to roost with their wage structures and transfer policy.

Classical Mechanic

I understand the principle of that, but doesn't Rose's age of his contract being up throw a big spanner works there from his side of things?

If Juventus wanted to buy a 28 year-old midfielder with Ramsey's ability he's probably going to cost a bit so they might think they're better off, or at least no worse off by going for him and giving him the money they would otherwise have paid as a fee for a different but similar player.

What do 31-year old full backs go for? I'd say little to nothing so it could make it quite different. He'll have absolutely no re-sale value (not that Ramsey will have much either in his example). We also know that clubs are often reluctant to offer anyone over the age of 30 more than a 1 year extension because they fear them suddenly declining so in theory the same should apply for offering over 30s fat contracts when you sign them on a free.

It could work out for him financially, but I think it's a bigger risk from his from perspective than Ramsey if that's a big consideration for him.

Edit:

Just pulling some numbers from my backside, so not about Rose as such:

-Player is 29, has 2 years of his contract left at £100k/week
-A team wants to buy him, would offer £150k/week on a 4 year deal
- If he stayed and left on a free he'd need to be offered a £200k/week 2-year deal at 31 to equal what he'd have got in total if he left now, and more than £200k/week if he wants to come out on top - might be a bit much for interested parties?

Signing bonuses not included in the above.
There is an element of gamble there for sure. If he wanted to cash out then he could look at China. Italy has become an attractive destination as they're offering tax breaks to high earners, its one of the dynamics behind Juventus's recent power in the transfer market and the crazy wages they're paying to Ramsey, Ronaldo and De Ligt. He may just want to chose his destination, get a transfer to a club like A Madrid or Dortmund for the experience. If Levy's trying to push him to Watford for £120k a week or something, you can see why he might feel that he owes him nothing and won't take an option he isn't that interested in.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes

What is a player worth, is the question.

Because it can be argued that if a player is sold for less than the cost of a replacement fully integrated into the team, then the club is getting fecked.

If a player wants maximum flexibility then they can sign year to year contracts. But they don't want to let go of the security a multi year contract brings.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

Strange strange strange
Totally.

It's like he totally doesn't understand what the phrase "charm offensive" means, and keeps coming out with stuff that will only serve to piss everyone off.

Oh I'm staying for 18months. That's one hell of a long time in football. I'd probably have said nothing, and just keep the plan to myself.

Alabaster Codify7

We could potentially have a few of these situations in the near future, to be honest. Players sitting out 2yrs worth of 150k+ a week.

Alabaster Codify7

Totally.

It's like he totally doesn't understand what the phrase "charm offensive" means, and keeps coming out with stuff that will only serve to piss everyone off.

Oh I'm staying for 18months. That's one hell of a long time in football. I'd probably have said nothing, and just keep the plan to myself.

I'm guessing it's a threat more than anything - basically telling Spurs "either sort your heads out and come to terms one way or another, or its gonna be a long, expensive 18months for you". He's probably hoping he bluffs him and is gone in January.

CM

His comments make it seem as though he wants to stay at Spurs out of spite, weird as that sounds. Even if he feels the Spurs hierarchy denied him a big move in his peak years, surely it's still in his best interests to move on than wait out his contract while his stock continues to plummet.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
We could potentially have a few of these situations in the near future, to be honest. Players sitting out 2yrs worth of 150k+ a week.
The only thing that stops every player doing it, is that risk of some serious injury wrecking them, and losing the security of a long contract.

The positive for clubs if this expiring deals thing became the norm though, is that these insane transfer fees would plummet.
However, wages would sky rocket!

Mark Pawelek

Oh Danny Rose the agents, the agents are calling
From club to club and down the scrap...-yard
Your summers gone and all the talents leaving

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Spurs approach of valuing their players at ridiculous amounts but paying them mid table wages coming home to roost.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Spurs approach of valuing their players at ridiculous amounts but paying them mid table wages coming home to roost.
Yep. Pochettino is handling the situation at Spurs surprisingly well. All these player contract running out and players wanting to leave for higher wages is all down to levy. Most other manager would have Spurs in the relegation zone like how Mourinho and Klopp had Chelsea and Dortmund in that area during tough times. But this time at Spurs is much worse than that.[/QUOTE]

Based Adnan

Remember when Spurs fans said the peanut wages they give won't be a problem as the players love the club?

Who's that now, Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Eriksen, and Rose?

jeff gurr

Supports
Leicester City
His comments make it seem as though he wants to stay at Spurs out of spite, weird as that sounds. Even if he feels the Spurs hierarchy denied him a big move in his peak years, surely it's still in his best interests to move on than wait out his contract while his stock continues to plummet.
I tend to agree with you. Waiting out his contract won't bring him a big pay day & i think it's more about F**k you Levy !!
To be honest, if a player has his poop in a pile then 60 grand a week is still pretty amazing & Rose is probably quite happy to run out his contract and then have complete control over where he will finish his career.

Mb194dc

Supports
Chelsea
He should be still worth at least £10-15m when his contact expires in 18 months. Possibly even more.

So presumably he'll be asking for that as a signing bonus at his next club, plus a decent wage?

Sounds like Spurs tried to sell him against his will to stop him running his deal down?

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Potentially? That's always been the case with United. That's why we never get a proper fee for our players.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
So one more player who will leave on free transfer. That’s around 200 million worth of players just a season or 2 ago. Rose, Toby, Eriksen.

GloryHunter07

This is the issue, and you put it in a clearer way than i could. I agree totally, Spurs are doing what Arsenal did when they got their new stadium.