Danny Welbeck | Arsenal player

Status
Not open for further replies.

finneh

Well I cant speak for anyone else, but in my case its not about praising Welbeck. I'm just wistfully thinking about how, had we stuck with Welbeck, we'd have a) been no worse off in squad terms and b) been able to see whether LVG could have worked his magic on Welbeck.

What I would certainly say is that back in August it was a no brainer choosing Falcao over Welbeck. This is just a pondering with the benefit of hindsight.
I didn't really see it as Falcao vs Welbeck anyway if I'm honest. I think it was Falcao vs Hernandez; with Welbeck against the likes of Mata, Di Maria, Young, Rooney & Januzaj. He'd have probably taken Januzaj's role in the squad if truth be told.

I think the answer as to Van Gaal's impact on him was probably shown by his eagerness to get rid of him. We heard the same from peterstorey about how Wenger was going to turn him into a top class centre forward who'd be getting 20+ goals a season. For me Welbeck's level as a consistent centre forward is a team like Swansea, where he'd probably score 10-15 goals a season and would slot in quite well.

To be fair, I did say that we sold O'Shea a season too soon as well. Which due to injuries in that season we probably did
Four seasons early in that case; he'd have been a better option than Blackett/McNair!

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Welbeck 4 premier league goals. Smalling 4 premier league goals.

Not good enough for Manchester United said van Gaal. You think he was onto something?

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?

Not good enough for Manchester United said van Gaal. You think he was onto something?
Its rare but you're spot on Kevin.

Crackers

greasy ginfers

From nearly 60 shots this season. That's absolutely absurd how it's so low a figure.

Devil may care

People love skewing the Welbeck narrative, we didn't want to sell him, he wanted to go because he wanted to be the main striker, so we even sold him a rival, we couldn't have treat him any fairer than that. The fact is he doesn't score nearly enough goals to ever be the main striker at a top side.

MUFCpiffgawd

Yeah, giroud is much better than him. Danny should have moved to a team where he's guaranteed to play week in week out. His game is simply not clinical enough for a team aspiring for big things.
Giroud is better in one area and that's finishing which is essential for a striker.

Well I cant speak for anyone else, but in my case its not about praising Welbeck. I'm just wistfully thinking about how, had we stuck with Welbeck, we'd have a) been no worse off in squad terms and b) been able to see whether LVG could have worked his magic on Welbeck.

What I would certainly say is that back in August it was a no brainer choosing Falcao over Welbeck. This is just a pondering with the benefit of hindsight.
Dont think you can help a striker be more decisive with his finishing.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout

Aye, we were right to sell him. To think that people were suggesting we were ripped off too. Got a good deal for him.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
We were right to sell him. The only thing we didn't do right was replacing him with Falcao, who has also been poor.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
What you're all forgetting is that Wenger didn't know when Giroud would return from injury and whether he'd still be any good. The unknown is that he came back in stonking form so Welbeck has suffered with less appearances. When we bought him we were desperate, incredibly desperate, and he was a perfect fit for our needs. We'd have had to play Sanogo or Joel campbell up top and that would have been a disaster. The fact that DW hasn't scored much doesn't really bother me at all. We are a team that spreads goals around the team and when Welbeck plays he contributes to that with his workrate and assists.

For the money he's been worth every penny, unlike Falcao. I'm pretty sure he'd have got a lot of goals for you had he stayed too. I still wish we'd bid 40,000,002 for Suarez though.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
Arsenal fans I've spoken to (down south half my friends are either Arsenal/Spuds), all have varying opinions on the guy, much like many United fans over the years, some think he's not good enough due to his lack of goals, others see him as a good player due to his team work and movement, others somewhere in the middle thinking for the price they paid, they got a half decent deal, even if he's only a backup for Giroud or comes in for Ozil or whomever on their left flank.

I'd say I'm not a huge Welbeck fan, simply for the fact he asked out twice before he was sold and history seems to have been rewritten that he was forced out against his will... he wasnt, for someone claiming to be United through and through I dont think he put up much, if any resistance to the idea of leaving.

I'd also like to point out with a bit of smugness the fact he went from a semi-automatic starter on our left (when not having the chance to be played upfront), which he deemed not good enough for his talent level to lately being sat on the bench a fair amount for Arsenal now Giroud, Ramsey, Ozil and co. are back and in-form.

Revan

Assumptionman
Giroud is better in one area and that's finishing which is essential for a striker.
Giroud has a far better gameplay than Welbeck. The only thing Welbeck has on Giroud is the speed. In everything else, Giroud is comfortably better.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
What you're all forgetting is that Wenger didn't know when Giroud would return from injury and whether he'd still be any good. The unknown is that he came back in stonking form so Welbeck has suffered with less appearances. When we bought him we were desperate, incredibly desperate, and he was a perfect fit for our needs. We'd have had to play Sanogo or Joel campbell up top and that would have been a disaster. The fact that DW hasn't scored much doesn't really bother me at all. We are a team that spreads goals around the team and when Welbeck plays he contributes to that with his workrate and assists.

For the money he's been worth every penny, unlike Falcao. I'm pretty sure he'd have got a lot of goals for you had he stayed too. I still wish we'd bid 40,000,002 for Suarez though.
I still think Arsenal got a good deal. £16m for a squad player who is English isn't too bad at all consider you need to have at least 8 Home grown players in your squad.

I think what is debatable is whether or not Welbeck made the right decision since he didn't want to be a squad player at United but that's irrelevant to Arsenal fans. If Giroud keeps delivering, then what's the problem.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Has he done well?

Falcao has a better conversion rate, has the same amount of goals/assists, and has done it all in significantly fewer minutes than Welbeck. And Falcao has been shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.