Danny Welbeck to leave Arsenal

Chabon

It's weird, didn't he move because wanted to play as a CF instead of the wing
He moved because he was kicked out of the club to make space for Falcao.

Watford don’t want to pay his wages now they’re in the championship, but nobody wanted to pay a fee, so, guess this was the solution. TBH I can think of a few other players I wish were willing to cancel their contracts rather than stealing a living...

starman

He moved because he was kicked out of the club to make space for Falcao.

Watford don’t want to pay his wages now they’re in the championship, but nobody wanted to pay a fee, so, guess this was the solution. TBH I can think of a few other players I wish were willing to cancel their contracts rather than stealing a living...
He was unhappy before Van Gaal or Falcao arrived

I’d like to play central,” he says. “I’ve been playing on the left for a while and it’s got to the time where I want to stake a place up front. It does get frustrating. You want to be playing in a certain position and you’re not getting the opportunity to do that.”

Chabon

He was unhappy before Van Gaal or Falcao arrived
Yeah, because he was having a really good season up front and then got shunted back out wide when Mata helicoptered in. Like most of the side, he hated Moyes but he had no intention of leaving under LVG until it was suddenly forced on him on deadline day. I’ve no idea where this bullshit narrative that he forced his way out has come from over the years.

RedDevil@84

I’ve no idea where this bullshit narrative that he forced his way out has come from over the years.
Moyes gave him guaranteed starts over everyone else. LvG didn't promise him that and he left. Not sure where this theory of forced him out comes from.

Chabon

Why can't we adopt Watford and West Ham's "You're a crock, siya" approach with Phil Jones?
Because the player has to agree to it.

Moyes gave him guaranteed starts over everyone else. LvG didn't promise him that and he left. Not sure where this theory of forced him out comes from.
It’s not a theory that he was forced out, it’s what happened. You really think he threw a tantrum on deadline day and the club simply had to go out and find a replacement and found Falcao down the back of the sofa?

Don’t know why I’m arguing about ancient history when we’ve got our current shambles to focus on. Anyway, Welbeck will sign for Palace, look decent, and then get his fifth season-ending injury in six years. Some players are just cursed.

RedDevil@84

It’s not a theory that he was forced out, it’s what happened. You really think he threw a tantrum on deadline day and the club simply had to go out and find a replacement and found Falcao down the back of the sofa?
I am not claiming he threw a tantrum. But he was not forced out. It was his decision to move out because LVG did not think he is talented enough or deserved to be given guaranteed starts. Unlike Moyes, who had this weird "My Danny always starts" policy

Steven-UK

I'll never forgive Welbeck for that daft attempted chip over Neuer against bayern munich in UCL quarter final match in Old Trafford, when he could easily have slotted it either side of him.

That summed Welbeck up perfectly... Never quite good enough for the big clubs, and the lower leagues would eat him alive.

Chabon

.Unlike Moyes, who had this weird "My Danny always starts" policy
Welbeck started just 13 of the 34 PL matches that David Moyes managed (scoring 9 goals). He only started one game for Moyes in the league after we signed Mata and moved Rooney up front. I’m not sure where you’re getting these memories from.

Paul_Scholes18

Welbeck started just 13 of the 34 PL matches that David Moyes managed (scoring 9 goals). He only started one game for Moyes in the league after we signed Mata and moved Rooney up front. I’m not sure where you’re getting these memories from.
He seriously deserved to start more. Had better partnership with Rooney and Persie than they had with each other. Him and Mata would also work well in theory with the good service.
He was a good squad striker, but wanted more which was a bit silly. Getting old Falcao was stupid when we already had two old strikers. If we wanted to replace Welbeck we should have gone for someone younger with great movement and
potential to get much better than Welbeck.

Skills

Snitch
He's been unlucky with injuries, but let's be real - you have no right to be playing anywhere the CF role with Danny Welbeck's lack of composure.

el3mel

Welbeck was never good enough for any big team. He was never as good as he thought himself to be. At best he's a better version of Lingard, slightly. Nothing more.

Fergie did a brilliant job covering the cracks in the team. It's no surprise some of his last title winning team have had a terrible career after he left. Welbeck, Cleverly, they were all not good enough, but Fergie managed to cover for them with his tactics and management.

Oldyella

He was a good wide forward, if he was coming through now when that position is all the rage people would be all over him, but he wanted to play as a CF and just wasnt composed enough.

Always thought the best England had looked for years was Kane with Sturridge and Welbeck either side of him, and look where those two are now. Shows how fickle injuries can be for footballers.

Robbie Boy

Thinks he's a far better player than he is. Had some serious fans on here back in the day who were convinced he was a 20+ goals a season centre forward. Never in a million years good enough for a top club. Fergie made him look half decent because even he could that with players like Anderson and Cleverley.

hmchan

He seriously deserved to start more. Had better partnership with Rooney and Persie than they had with each other. Him and Mata would also work well in theory with the good service.
He was a good squad striker, but wanted more which was a bit silly. Getting old Falcao was stupid when we already had two old strikers. If we wanted to replace Welbeck we should have gone for someone younger with great movement and
potential to get much better than Welbeck.
Welbeck was combining really well with Rooney when van Persie was out. Really enjoyed his dummy runs and it had been one of the best attacking plays in post-Fergie era.

stevoc

I'll never forgive Welbeck for that daft attempted chip over Neuer against bayern munich in UCL quarter final match in Old Trafford, when he could easily have slotted it either side of him.

That summed Welbeck up perfectly... Never quite good enough for the big clubs, and the lower leagues would eat him alive.
Yeah that is unforgivable, if he'd scored that we would have only lost 4-3 on aggregate instead of 4-2.

Paul_Scholes18

Welbeck was combining really well with Rooney when van Persie was out. Really enjoyed his dummy runs and it had been one of the best attacking plays in post-Fergie era.
Yeah he worked well with smart and quality players around him. He just lacked ability himself in front of goal. Fairly good in the air though, but terrible if given too much time to think.
Mata, Rooney, Welbeck looked amazing during our pre season with LVG. At that point I thought we would get the league back with Persie too. Never got to play them in any games though since injuries did happen and then he moved.
I guess LVG would have eventually ruined them too by telling them to play it safe.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Once got scalded for saying he was Championship level at best.

Feel more convinced than ever.

Bogga

You lot have had a nice laugh at our expense over the years giving us players like Silvestre and Welbeck while taking prime RVP. We couldn’t even have the last laugh with Sanchez because you gave us an equally useless (if cheaper) Mkhitryan.
I was so happy when you paid that amount for him. I knew he would score against us, which he of course did. But in the bigger picture, getting 17 mil from you for a player that lacked end product was like a lottery win...

stevoc

Once got scalded for saying he was Championship level at best.

Feel more convinced than ever.
He's almost 30 and bar a few games on loan as a youngster he's never played lower than the Premier League in over 10 years at 4 different clubs. So obviously he's a Premier League level player, not a great one granted.

Steven-UK

Yeah that is unforgivable, if he'd scored that we would have only lost 4-3 on aggregate instead of 4-2.
Football does not work that that though, does it, if he had scored, the momentum changes everything, soft-lad...

Paul_Scholes18

Football does not work that that though, does it, if he had scored, the momentum changes everything, soft-lad...
Vidic and Evra both sent us ahead though. Could not keep it sadly.
We played well for 1,5 games, but then did fall apart.

stevoc

Maybe it doesn’t maybe it does who knows. Even if we had went away to Bayern with a 2-1 lead we most likely still would have been knocked out.

And even if we’d somehow fluked our way through that round we weren’t going anywhere in the competition with Dithering Dave in charge. So we didn’t miss out on much.

Drainy

I was a massive advocate for Welbeck as a striker who works for the team and chips in with enough output if you have goals from other areas.

He gave up the hard graft after Fergie retired and it was right to move him on. Afterwards he was extremely unlucky with injuries and I feel bad for him because he was a useful player and he could have had a better career.

Hopefully he can find a decent club

I was a massive advocate for Welbeck as a striker who works for the team and chips in with enough output if you have goals from other areas.

He gave up the hard graft after Fergie retired and it was right to move him on. Afterwards he was extremely unlucky with injuries and I feel bad for him because he was a useful player and he could have had a better career.

Hopefully he can find a decent club
Agree with all of this.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
I remembered him as a good wide forward has really good work rate on the left side for Arsenal. He pressed alot and helped the team alot. His composure in front of goal is not the best but he worked hard for the team. Too bad he didn't play much for us due to his injury. Not sure if that is because of the incompetence of arsenal medical team.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
I remembered him as a good wide forward has really good work rate on the left side. He pressed alot and helped the team alot. His composure in front of goal is not the best but he worked hard for the team. Too bad he didn't play much for us due to his injury. Not sure if that is because of the incompetence of arsenal medical team.
Sounds pretty much spot on with his time at United, less injury prone though. He could have been a great, hard working wide forward but wanted to play centrally when he was not nearly good enough in front of goal.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
I always liked Welbeck. He could pretty much guarantee you a couple of tackles high up the pitch which would lead to chances. Good work rate and "defensive" forward, good on the ball, but never a great goalscorer. Wouldve been better off keeping him than the likes of Lingard, or half the other dross that has filled our attack over the last five years.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
I hope he can find a PL club this season. His composure is definitely better than Patrick Bamford! He played regularly last season so his injury is behind him already.

Verbalkint

I remember Danny for getting into great goal scoring positions and not taking his chances. Used to be incredibly frustrating to watch the lad. Anyway, lets wish him well and move on.

He was never cut out to be a goalscorer but he was a great system player. Fergie didn't drag a great player out of him, he just knew where and how to play him. Covering ground, stretching defenders and pressing high up the pitch was his thing. Over the years the story has become quite unfair towards him. He couldn't finish his dinner but he was a good footballer everywhere else. Funnily enough he would probably be more in demand from big teams now.