Danny Welbeck to Sunderland (Loan Watch)

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.
I can see Fergie taking the unusual gamble of getting rid of Berba to open up a place in the squad for him which would be a tremendous risk but not so out of character for SAF.

This is just a theory however.

Chrisjn

Really dont see where he's going to fit in tbh, another loan at somewhere like Everton would be good as part of a deal that brings Rodwell to us
I think it would be worth giving him a squad place this year. Think he would get plenty of games against the weaker sides at home and a run in the fa and league cup not to mention the champions league group stages.

could be the one to watch this season.

One question though, where do we play him? On the flank in a 4-3-3? He seems versatile and could probably play on the wing, up front or even in the hole.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Problem is when Welbeck was getting games a season or two back it was because at that time he was 4th in line really

08/09 he was behind Rooney, Berbatov & Tevez
09/10 he was behind Rooney, Berbatov & Own

This upcoming season arguably he'd be 5th in line behind Rooney, Hernandez, Berbatov & Owen

Or will Owen play even a lesser part this season than last?

Chrisjn

Problem is when Welbeck was getting games a season or two back it was because at that time he was 4th in line really

08/09 he was behind Rooney, Berbatov & Tevez
09/10 he was behind Rooney, Berbatov & Own

This upcoming season arguably he'd be 5th in line behind Rooney, Hernandez, Berbatov & Owen

Or will Owen play even a lesser part this season than last?
But he can play out wide. Berbatov, Owen and Hernandez play upfront and that's it.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
It would seriously annoy me if we move Berbatov out of the way instead of Owen.

Devil may care

One chance, one goal, class. He looked marginally offside but the touch, the turn and finish in the dying minutes showed top class composure.

Business-wise if it were to be one or the other, it makes more sense.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
The problem being Owen is more than happy to play 15 games a season, often in the cups, on a lower salary & pay for play...Berba may not.

Not that I'm endorsing the sale of Berba, I'd desperately like to keep him. But it isn't a case of either or. Both circumstances are very different if we're talking about making space for a player trying to force his way into the first team.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
I remember a couple seasons ago the consensus was he needed to fill out a bit. He certainly seems to have done that now.

I'd be very surprised if he doesn't make it here. I think it's only a matter of time before he is preferred ahead of Owen and Berbatov.

kundalini

If Welbeck replaced Owen, he'd be looking at 271 mins of Premier League football. However, if Berbatov leaves, Welbeck might get a fair chunk of the 2321 mins Dimitar played last season.

Since United have told Sunderland that Welbeck is playing for us next season, it is not unreasonable to anticipate Berba moving on this summer. Personally I thought Berbatov made a decent contribution last season but Welbeck is the future and at some point we have to give him playing time.

SharkyMcShark

Horrified
Using location as a tagline: because I'm just not
I think it's a bit harsh on Owen insofar as suggesting we're "stuck" with him - it wasn't really a choice between Owen and Welbeck seeing as Owen got just over 4 hours of league football for us last season. Welbeck wouldn't be happy with that, and I'd not want him to be in the fourth choice striker position for us because he still needs games to develop.

I'd back Welbeck to take Berba's role when he moves on, be it this summer, next, the summer after (if he gets a new deal) or whenever.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
The problem being Owen is more than happy to play 15 games a season, often in the cups, on a lower salary & pay for play...Berba may not.

Not that I'm endorsing the sale of Berba, I'd desperately like to keep him. But it isn't a case of either or. Both circumstances are very different if we're talking about making space for a player trying to force his way into the first team.
What I'm saying is IF we choose to move on Berbatov and keep Owen it will annoy me, regardless of any of the factors involved. Berbatov should have got more football at the end of the season IMO.

I think he'll stay though, which leaves us with a theoretical difficulty in getting Welbeck enough games if it's true that he's going to be part of the squad next season and we have turned down the Sunderland loan option, as seems to be the case. I say theoretical because Owen will probably be injured and pissing about with his race horses. I don't think it's quite as simple as allocating Owen's minutes to Welbeck though... Welbeck can play wide in an attacking three for a start (though plenty of competition there especially if Young comes). Also the other competitions provide a fair few games.

In my view we should be looking to move some of the squad players on to give Welbeck and possibly Cleverley games. The roles in the squad played by the likes of Owen and Gibson could just as well be allocated to these very promising players and it could help them develop.

Devil may care

United front beckons for burgeoning Welbeck - International, Football - The Independent
According to Uefa there are scouts representing 75 leading clubs at the European Under-21 Championship, more than a dozen of them from England. Danny Welbeck, expected to lead the line for Stuart Pearce's team in their decisive group match against the Czech Republic tonight, is interested in impressing only Manchester United. Attached to United since the age of eight, he has agreed in the past two years to loan periods at Preston and Sunderland, and is grateful for the experience, but intends once this tournament is over to concentrate all his energies on tieing down a place at Old Trafford.

Admiration for him there is already significant. In the summer of 2009 Sir Alex Ferguson surprisingly announced that Welbeck should be in England's squad for the World Cup, offering a reference that read: "Danny's a certainty to make it at the highest level. Wide left, or through the middle, he has the intelligence, guts, athleticism and talent to do the job." Fabio Capello declined to act on the great man's recommendation, but in March this year he gave Welbeck a first senior cap in the friendly at home to his parents' country Ghana, which brought an adverse reaction from thousands of Ghanaian supporters hoping he would choose to represent them instead. "I even had a few cousins in the stands and they said they were booing!" Welbeck said. "But it was fine, we all had a little laugh at the end of the game. I've still got aunties and uncles back in Ghana and they were all really happy for me having made my debut for England so it was all sweet."

Having not played in a competitive game, he is technically still eligible for Ghana, but to judge from a long conversation yesterday, he has eyes for only one country and one club. "I've been playing for England since I was 14," he pointed out. "The step from Under-21s to seniors, I was obviously over the moon with that."

He has scored England's only goal at this tournament, a neatly taken equaliser in the last few minutes against Spain, without which they would be bottom of the group going into this evening's game. Daniel Sturridge may have eclipsed him in terms of performance so far but he puts that down partly to an unusualrole against Spain, dropping deeper into midfield, and also to the fact that England have seen less of the ball than their opponents in both matches. "Good work-rate but the team's not really had great possession of the ball at times so I've not really got on to the ball as much as I'd like," is how Welbeck sums up his contribution. "I'm looking forward to getting the ball a bit more, moving across the pitch, getting a few more passes in and then hopefully drop off into the angles and get in behind the defence. We need to create a few more chances and hopefully stick them away as well. We feel we've done well but we need to get on the ball a bit more, actually take control of the game and make them chase the ball more."

It is a mature assessment from one of the older players in the squad, who would have been at the Under-21 finals two years ago had he not been injured. Injury also hindered his period at Sunderland last season, although not sufficiently to detract from enjoyment of the experience. ''My main aim was to get minutes under my belt in the Premier League and I did that. I was delighted with it. You learn massive amounts, it's experience you can't gain from being at United on the bench like I was the season before, so once I went there and got the taste of playing games week-in and week-out I was really happy with that. I'm young and looking to improve, and hungry for success as well."

Sunderland's Steve Bruce is by no means the only Premier League manager who would love to him on the books next season but this time, it seems, United intend giving Welbeck his chance: "The manager [Ferguson] said I'll get decent opportunities and hopefully I'll take them and progress from there." If he does so – which will not be easy, given United's striking options at present – Pearce will undoubtedly be pushing his claims to Capello, who was down to two fit strikers for his most recent game. It is in the Under-21 manager's interests to promote progression through the various under-age teams and in Chelsea's Sturridge and Welbeck he has two candidates. The difficulty for them is finding regular football with their parent clubs, which will be just as tricky for Sturridge unless at least one Chelsea striker moves on in the next few weeks. Using this tournament as a showcase – which means winning today to stay in it – can only help.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Another one here from the Guardian with some Pearce quotes:

[snip]...Pearce has identified the Manchester United striker Danny Welbeck as one of the key components of his team. So far he has been deployed either as the lone centre-forward in a 4-2-3-1 or in the hole just behind Daniel Sturridge. His 88th-minute equaliser against Spain was England's only goal of the tournament and Pearce foresees a bright future in the senior side for a player whose international career got off to an embarrassing start.

"I put him on the pitch away to Greece in the qualification campaign [as a 28th-minute substitute for the injured Sturridge]. He wasn't running around so I substituted him back off [in the 75th minute]. When you do that to any player, it hurts. I spoke to him after the game and said that when you enter the pitch for England you have to work harder than you did. It was a gamble on my behalf but it's worked. He's rolled his sleeves up and his work-rate is sensational and he's got goals and talent and physically he's difficult to handle. I think he's got a real package about him and I know Fabio's a real big fan of his."

Welbeck missed a glaring chance to give England victory against Ukraine, shooting wide when one-on-one with the goalkeeper, but the player is confident that he will take any chances that come his way on Sunday – though he knows that England must retain the ball better if they are to create many.

"The team's not had great possession of the ball at times so I've not really got on to the ball as much as I'd like," Welbeck said, "but I'm looking forward to getting the ball a bit more, moving across the pitch, getting a few more passes in and then hopefully dropping off into the angles and getting in behind the defence."

If the Czechs try an overly physical approach – they have received more yellow cards than any other team in the tournament so far – then England can deal with that. "If they want to give some out, we'll give it back to them and then beat them with technical ability," said Welbeck hopefully.
Whole article - Stuart Pearce backs Danny Welbeck as trump card for England Under-21s | Football | The Observer

Drifter

American
Danny Welbeck has all but ruled out a return to Sunderland by saying he has been promised the chance to prove himself at Manchester United.

Danny Welbeck has revealed Sir Alex Ferguson has promised he will be given the chance to prove he can become a Manchester United regular next season.

Like many youngsters at Old Trafford, Welbeck has been forced to wait for his big break, spending the majority of his career out on loan.

But the 20-year-old will return to United after England's European Under-21 Championship campaign with an assurance he will be able to show how much he has improved.

"The manager said I'll get decent opportunities and hopefully I'll take them and progress from there," said Welbeck, who admitted he would be forced to consider moving on if he failed to make it into Ferguson's first-team plans.

"It gets to the stage where you have to decide on your future but I'm still only 20 and looking forward to my opportunity."

Welbeck made his United debut two months short of his 18th birthday and scored on both his Premier League and FA Cup debuts.

It got even better for him when he started the 2009 Carling Cup final win over Tottenham.

But that was arguably the peak of his Old Trafford career so far and he has not played for his parent club for almost a year and a half.

Instead, he has trodden the same path as many United hopefuls before him by attempting to prove himself while on loan.

And he has largely done that, both at Preston and - last season - Sunderland.

"Going on loan really benefits you," said Welbeck, who is set to lead the line again in England's must-win European Under-21 Championship clash with the Czech Republic on Sunday.

"You learn massive amounts. It's experience you can't gain from being at United on the bench.

"I was playing with top strikers. Darren Bent was there at the start and then Asamoah Gyan came.

"I learnt a lot from Darren in training as well every day.

"It was the same with Asamoah as well and I'll always take that into my learning process."

That process continues in Denmark, where Welbeck's bid to impress Ferguson has yielded mixed fortunes.

He scored England's only goal of the tournament so far in their scrambled 1-1 draw with Spain but missed when clean through against Ukraine.

But his big problem has been a lack of support from midfield, leaving him all too often isolated up front.

"The team's not really had great possession of the ball at times so I've not really got onto the ball as much as I'd like," he said.

"We need to get on the ball a bit more, actually take control of the game and make them chase the ball more."

Head coach Stuart Pearce revealed his players may have been paralysed by nerves in their opening two draws against Spain and Ukraine, but not Welbeck.

"I don't see any need to be nervous," he said ahead of Sunday's final Group B match.

"It's different with every player but I go into every game like I'm playing at school, looking forward to getting on the pitch."

England's performances have been frustrating for their fans and also Pearce, who has nevertheless managed to keep his own temper in check.

Welbeck said: "I've not seen that side yet and don't plan on seeing it either.

"He's cool, calm and collected, lets you know his thoughts and he's really motivational, so you really know once his words are out of his mouth, it goes into your brain and stays there."

Never more so than when Pearce hauled Welbeck off after introducing him as a substitute against Greece early in his under-21 career almost two years ago.

Pearce said: "I spoke to him after the game and said that when you enter the pitch for England, you have to work harder than you did.

"He's rolled his sleeves up and his work rate is sensational and he's got goals.

"I know Fabio's a real big fan of his."

Indeed senior boss Fabio Capello handed Welbeck his first cap in March's friendly against Ghana.

The striker's debut came after he snubbed the chance to represent England's opponents, who jeered him mercilessly when he came off the bench at Wembley.

"I even had a few cousins in the stands and they said they were booing!" Welbeck joked.

"It was fine. We all had a little laugh at the end of the game.

"I've still got aunties and uncles back in Ghana and they were all really happy for me having made my debut for England so it was all sweet."

Kelvin

we need to give him some more chances of playing regularly or else he might asked to leave...

humdinger

we need to give him some more chances of playing regularly or else he might asked to leave...
He did well last year and deserves a chance, and from what he said Fergie told him he'll get opportunities to play next year. To be honest I expected him to come back into the squad and for us to let Owen go, but hopefully he'll still get plenty of games. I'd guess he'll play in pretty much all our Cup games and get a few premiership outings.

Fiskey

Can't stop thinking about David Nugent's hot naked
Think he'll be one of the first names on the team sheet come the end of the 12/13 season, just not sure how that will work with Rooney and Hernandez. Maybe Rooney will be pushed deeper earlier than expected in his career.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
SkySportsPeteO Pete O'Rourke
Skysports.com understands Bolton are keen on signing Man Utd striker Danny Welbeck on loan. #mufc #bwfc.

Bolton play nice attractive football and have got a good manager, think this will be a good move for Danny.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
SkySportsPeteO Pete O'Rourke
Skysports.com understands Bolton are keen on signing Man Utd striker Danny Welbeck on loan. #mufc #bwfc.

Bolton play nice attractive football and have got a good manager, think this will be a good move for Danny.
Be interesting to see if he gets to continue his U-21 partnership with Sturridge. Good news for England if so.

AttackingFlair

Would be a good move but I'd personally like to have him here and use him as back up for the wing in league matches and used as a striker in the CC.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Chelsea said he'd stay with them this season, however Coyle will try and get him for the season again

Coyle to ask for Sturridge return | Football News | Sky Sports

I can't see Bolton going for both though, isn't it a bit of a gamble having 2 U21's as your strikeforce?
It is a bit. Although Kevin Davies and that Swedish bloke (completely blanking on his name) have bags of experience to complement them as the four strikers on their books.

Devil_forever

You're only young once, you can be immature f'ever
Head of the naval division of lolibfascon
It is a bit. Although Kevin Davies and that Swedish bloke (completely blanking on his name) have bags of experience to complement them as the four strikers on their books.
You mean Elmander? He left on a free to Galatasary iirc. I can only see Welbeck being loaned out if Berbatov is kept, which is looking likely at the moment. Sturridge seemed to thrive under Coyle and it'd be good to have him play in a team that actually plays proper football, so it might be a win-win situation for all parties.

forevrared

Would be a great move for him for footballing reasons, but Danny leaving the club again makes me nervous as I really want him to make it at United. Two seasons in a row on loan at his age would seem like writing on the wall. I'll be genuinely angry if giving Michael Owen another season cost us Danny for good.

Claymore

From the redtop paper after the New England game......

Ferguson said: "With a season already behind him now in English football we could be talking about anything there.

"Michael Owen is a very good player. The problem he had last year, and the same applied to other strikers including Dimitar Berbatov in particular, was the form of Chicharito.

"You could not leave him out.

"It will be a headache for me next season because we also have Mame Diouf and Macheda who are back and I will be picking from six strikers which is not a bad thing.

So did SAF make a general mistake or is Welbeck not in his plans?

cj_sparky

So did SAF make a general mistake or is Welbeck not in his plans?
Nothing to this, I think Sir Alex purely commented about those who are currently with the squad on tour and unintentionally didn't think of Welbeck who joins up later. He tipped Welbeck to go to the last World Cup, he did well at Sunderland until numerous injuries disrupted his season. He has always come across as someone that Sir Alex rates highly.

It would be very harsh if Diouff and Macheda got a chance ahead of him.

Donut

I think we really should loan Welbeck for another season. Macheda should stay here, since it seems he needs a soft hand. Diouf should probably be sold.

prateik

If the player is fine with it, another season of regular football would be great.
He played a lot of games wide left for sunderland and was injured towards the end when they needed a striker. He didnt really get that much playing time upfront.

If bolton want to play him there, then the loan deal could be great