Danny Welbeck

Robbie Boy

Yeah and what are Falcao and Welbeck actually accomplishing at the moment ? Welbeck was an average, made to look better by one of the best ever club managers in the history of football. Falcao was recovering from an ACL ffs :lol:
The post is full of such nonsense that it barely warrants a proper reply. The myth of Welbeck lives on for some :houllier:

Varun1

They did, about six years ago.

You're more obsessed with Welbeck than Lynk was, which is some achievement. If Arsenal do decide to sell I wouldn't be enormously surprised if Mourinho brought him back, which would be worth it just for the response it would get from you. It might also be a decent shout, on the basis that Danny Welbeck was (admittedly before career-threatening injuries in each knee) a better player for us than Martial has ever been, and certainly made a greater contribution to the club than almost every single attacking player we've bought since he was told to pack his bags. We just used to have much higher standards as a football club.

It's all well and good saying that he wasn't good enough, or Nani wasn't, or Hernandez wasn't, but look at the absolute dross we replaced them with, and then the absolute dross that replaced them too. Welbeck being kicked out by that Dutch clown to make space for noted United legend Radamel Falcao remains a not insignificant milestone in the club's transition to the farce we still pretty much remain, 700 million quid later.
It's widely reported that Welbeck asked to leave after he couldn't be promised a first team position.
Welbeck is a good player but not the level we aspire. Maybe coming from the bench but that's not what he wanted.

Alfie092

Considering Rashford and Vardy didn't even get enough time, even with Sterling's lack of goals, it shows Welbeck inclusion in the squad was a waste of a spot that could have been used better for England with the inclusion of a ball playing midfield option like Shelvey or Wilshere.

But hindsight is a wonderful thing.
Definitely. Even a Lallana but not sure how fit he really was. Can come in for Lingard or Alli off the bench or even be an option to start. Thought Alli was poor in general this World Cup. Lallana could have started ahead of him and he would have surely created more chances from open play, something which was our big downfall as we heavily relied on set-pieces.

I know a goal is a goal and it doesn’t matter how we scored them but Lingard’s assist for the Alli goal was the only bit of creative brilliance that led to an open play goal during the whole tournament in 7 games, including the 3rd place play-off game with Belgium! :lol:

Tom Foster

I thought he was perfect for United in the Latter Fergie years. Even big clubs very rarely have 4, or even 3, top-quality strikers. So provided a club has 2 proven strikers, and we always have, you can rely on a someone like Danny who brings energy and enthusiasm to the pitch, whether he was playing against the lesser teams after a week in Europe, or coming on in the last 25 minutes. Sure, he was unlucky with a few injuries, but overall we got a lot out of him.
Still think he’s got the one more decent-sized club in him.
When the dust settles in about 5 years or so, I think he’ll be more fondly remembered than the likes of Martial.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Said it before but I don't understand why people hate him for the goal he scored at OT in the cup in 14/15.

Saw it recently and the way people go on here I was expecting full of Adebayor v Arsenal. He scored, ran towards Arsenal fans and then Arsenal players all jumped on him.

Bizzare. Even if he was angry at that point it would've been more directed at LVG who ruthlessly sold him.

Revan

Assumptionman
They did, about six years ago.

You're more obsessed with Welbeck than Lynk was, which is some achievement. If Arsenal do decide to sell I wouldn't be enormously surprised if Mourinho brought him back, which would be worth it just for the response it would get from you. It might also be a decent shout, on the basis that Danny Welbeck was (admittedly before career-threatening injuries in each knee) a better player for us than Martial has ever been, and certainly made a greater contribution to the club than almost every single attacking player we've bought since he was told to pack his bags. We just used to have much higher standards as a football club.

It's all well and good saying that he wasn't good enough, or Nani wasn't, or Hernandez wasn't, but look at the absolute dross we replaced them with, and then the absolute dross that replaced them too. Welbeck being kicked out by that Dutch clown to make space for noted United legend Radamel Falcao remains a not insignificant milestone in the club's transition to the farce we still pretty much remain, 700 million quid later.
Welbeck better than Martial has ever been? The Welbeck religion never ceases to amaze me.

Robbie Boy

Welbeck better than Martial has ever been? The Welbeck religion never ceases to amaze me.
Mental, isn’t it. No idea how he’s accumulated this weird cult following. I mean you would think people would have backed down by now and admitted they were wrong about him. This saving face stuff is embarrassing, especially the lengths people go to.

Last edited:

Revan

Assumptionman
Mental, isn’t it. No idea how he’s accumulated this weird cult following. I mean you would think people would have back down by now and admitted they were wrong about him. This saving face stuff is embarrassing, especially the lengths people go to.
It is amazing. Half of the forum went on meltdown when we got rid of a below average EPL-standard striker, who was made to look okay playing the donkey role for a legendary manager.

4 years later and some of these guys have still not given up and see dreams of Welbeck returning to United.

RedDevil@84

I sometimes feel people have forgotten how he used to play and have this imaginary thing in their mind, that he was creating chance after chance even when not scoring

red4ever 79

Danny has regressed a lot. Injuries havent helped of course but that fact that his major weakness is his finishing leaves you wondering what is his best position and what is he good at

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
He's not great and all, but going to Arsenal, who are suffering from an intense vodoo curse of injury on all wenger's players, was a bad move.

Ironically, I think Mourinho is one of the managers he would have thrived the most under. All the water carrying mourinho would like his centre forward to do, Welbeck does.

His ceiling would probably have been around the same as what Ferguson used him for - the Park of centre forwards.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
He's not great and all, but going to Arsenal, who are suffering from an intense vodoo curse of injury on all wenger's players, was a bad move.

Ironically, I think Mourinho is one of the managers he would have thrived the most under. All the water carrying mourinho would like his centre forward to do, Welbeck does.

His ceiling would probably have been around the same as what Ferguson used him for - the Park of centre forwards.
Yeah I do think he would suit Mourinho. Incidentally Mourinho said when he took over that he wouldn’t have sold him

Dundrummer

Martial was effectively Welbeck's replacement, as a player who would play both up front and out wide and never fully nail down a first team place. Welbeck had 3 seasons in the first team (and a few appearances as a kid before that), and now so has Martial. Here are their records in the competitions which actually matter.

Welbeck
Martial

Welbeck was known as a player with middling end product but whose other qualities kept him in a title-chasing team. What's the clearly similarly assist/goalshy Martial got by comparison; a French accent? Instagram?

Martial has achieved feck all at this football club. He's widely fancied because he's often looks exciting and is obviously ridiculously talented, but he's a nothing player, emblematic of a nothing era for the club. Danny Welbeck was never a great goalscorer, but the teams he was a significant part of used to score a lot of goals. In the years since casting aside the attackers from those sides we've been a shadow of what we once were, and it's not because Fergie was literally magic, it's (at least in large part) because our attacking players were a lot better than the ones we've replaced them with. Often less talented, admittedly, but undoubtedly much better Manchester United players.

How do you know how obsessed Lynk was with Bambi when you've joined in 2018?
I long ago lost the email account that my old account was registered with. I actually think I might have quit the caf originally in the middle of arguing with Lynk, but it was a long old time ago so I'm not certain it was him.

fellaini's barber

Martial was effectively Welbeck's replacement, as a player who would play both up front and out wide and never fully nail down a first team place. Welbeck had 3 seasons in the first team (and a few appearances as a kid before that), and now so has Martial. Here are their records in the competitions which actually matter.

Welbeck
Martial

Welbeck was known as a player with middling end product but whose other qualities kept him in a title-chasing team. What's the clearly similarly assist/goalshy Martial got by comparison; a French accent? Instagram?

Martial has achieved feck all at this football club. He's widely fancied because he's often looks exciting and is obviously ridiculously talented, but he's a nothing player, emblematic of a nothing era for the club. Danny Welbeck was never a great goalscorer, but the teams he was a significant part of used to score a lot of goals. In the years since casting aside the attackers from those sides we've been a shadow of what we once were, and it's not because Fergie was literally magic, it's (at least in large part) because our attacking players were a lot better than the ones we've replaced them with. Often less talented, admittedly, but undoubtedly much better Manchester United players.

I long ago lost the email account that my old account was registered with. I actually think I might have quit the caf originally in the middle of arguing with Lynk, but it was a long old time ago so I'm not certain it was him.
What a load of absolute tripe

harshad

Play the odds, not the man - Poor man's Harvey
Scout
On a long road that returns to Old Trafford!!!

Welbeck
Martial

Whats your old username?

Last edited:

Santi_Mesut_Alexis_87

Supports
Arsenal
Hopefully the likes of Everton or even Wolverhampton are dumb enough to offer us about 25/30 mil for him :D

Drainy

I agree. Before Sir Alex retired he was starting to become a very good player. Not 'the main man', he wasn't ever going to become the player you relied on for the goals in your team, but he did a good job of creating space for others, holding the ball up, running the channels, blocking passing lanes and pressing. He always looks awkward playing and makes basic errors, so I can see why he wasn't everyone's cup of tea but overall he was becoming a very useful supporting player before the injuries.

littleman

Guy is too old and his track record is clear now for him to throw a tantrum. He's gonna eat this and be a quiet little boy. He's a premier league player, a bench option on a top team, that's more than more will ever be but it's certainly not what he was hoping for.

Robbie Boy

He’s only still there because no one wanted him this summer. Was clear he was up for sale.

AP88

Supports
Man City
I agree. Before Sir Alex retired he was starting to become a very good player. Not 'the main man', he wasn't ever going to become the player you relied on for the goals in your team, but he did a good job of creating space for others, holding the ball up, running the channels, blocking passing lanes and pressing. He always looks awkward playing and makes basic errors, so I can see why he wasn't everyone's cup of tea but overall he was becoming a very useful supporting player before the injuries.
I genuinely think him, Cleverley, Jones, Zaha and Nick Powell would have had significantly more respectable careers had Sir Alex overseen their development in the past 5 years - he was that special.

Regarding Welbeck, I think he’d be a perfect Mourinho signing for a pittance in January - Martial and Rashford really struggle to comply with his catenaccio, but Welbeck has that primitive humility and discipline that makes Jose’s dream work.

He could genuinely do no worse than Rashford at the minute.....

theriddler

Supports
Liverpool FC
Can someone explain to me what he actually does? He's athletic and runs around a lot...can't score and is a striker, misses big chances repeatedly. The striker version of Jordan Henderson. How he's at a big club is beyond me.

Ace Krampus

Spent a lot of time complaining that we were playing this footballer-equivalent-of-Bobcat-Goldthwait's-voice instead Berbatov after a golden boot season, at least there's been some vindication.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
I think he'd make a decent full back. He's got stamina for days, very quick, he's definitely better at tackling than scoring goals. If he can nail the positioning like Valencia did then he could be solid there.

Still hilarious that he left here because he was shackled from being the goal scorer he thought he was, and now he could end up being a defender.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I'm excited to see how he does as a fullback. I always thought he had a role to play outside the attacking positions.