Danny Welbeck

Robbie Boy

While he's injured... fecking hell that is ruthless.

Still, I think he needs to go somewhere and get regular football to see him at his best again.

Wish him well, and hope he's back playing again soon.
Think he would have been off either way, injury or no injury. If reports are to be believed, Emery tried to sell him during the summer.

iHicksy

I know but confirming it during an injury like that...
That's how a football club should be. Ruthless. Look at us handing out 5 year 120k a week contracts to every average player at the club. We're a laughing stock and are fast becoming Arsenal under Wenger. At least with their new manager they are finally addressing their failings. Failings such as keeping players like Wilshire, Ramsey and Welbeck when other, better options are available.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
That's how a football club should be. Ruthless. Look at us handing out 5 year 120k a week contracts to every average player at the club. We're a laughing stock and are fast becoming Arsenal under Wenger. At least with their new manager they are finally addressing their failings. Failings such as keeping players like Wilshire, Ramsey and Welbeck when other, better options are available.
I agree. The running of Utd is literally laughable, and has been for years.

We're worse, way worse, than they were under Wenger...

Bwuk

Whilst I wouldn't want him back - I always liked Welbeck and would of been happy if he'd stayed at United as a career squad player out wide.

iKeano

Whilst I wouldn't want him back - I always liked Welbeck and would of been happy if he'd stayed at United as a career squad player out wide.
This is part of our current problem, we have a 'squad player' heavy squad with nowhere near enough quality.

LVG getting £16m for Welbeck will always remain his finest hour as Man Utd Manager and that includes 'Enjoy the mince pies', 'you too fat man' and the FA cup.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
As an aside, feel sorry for him injury wise but i also think he made the wrong move in terms of Arsenal. He should have made a step to a side that was around the EL at that time like Southampton (discluding us because we weren't going to not play Lukaku and he'd not have been a main striker at Everton either).

red4ever 79

Curious case of Danny Wellbeck. Not good enough to be a striker, not good enough to be a winger, but he's English so must be good enough to be something. Will end up at Stoke/Hull

red4ever 79

While he's injured... fecking hell that is ruthless.

Still, I think he needs to go somewhere and get regular football to see him at his best again.

Wish him well, and hope he's back playing again soon.
Ruthless, he has missed 80 games in 4 years there. I would applaud Arsenal for doing that. If only over clubs had the brains to cut off footballers who were always injured.

joedirt87

He’s finally headed to a mid table club, where he has belonged for at least 6 seasons now. When I think of Welbeck I think of Bolton.

AshRK

He must be feeling gutted considering how United love to keep their deadwoods ( smalling, Valencia, young could all get their testimonials) , we would have offered him 3 years contract and would have ensured he retired while playing for us.

izec

He must be feeling gutted considering how United love to keep their deadwoods ( smalling, Valencia, young could all get their testimonials) , we would have offered him 3 years contract and would have ensured he retired while playing for us.
Thats kind of true to be honest. Looking back, he should have stayed. Jose would have loved him here, perfect wingback

Drifter

American

If this was at United we would have offered Bambi a new 4+1 year deal right now and made sure to trigger the extra year because "we can't let these kind of players leave on a free".
Get to it Woodward.

Mick321

Not very good and injury prone, pretty obvious what London club he'll be at next.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
As an aside, feel sorry for him injury wise but i also think he made the wrong move in terms of Arsenal. He should have made a step to a side that was around the EL at that time like Southampton (discluding us because we weren't going to not play Lukaku and he'd not have been a main striker at Everton either).
:houllier: the state of this post.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
You would have advised him to move to Southampton instead of Arsenal?

Yeah, righto.
In hindsight, possibly. It depends what you want from your career. He clearly had the potential to develop further than he has and i don't think that is purely down to injuries but also down to never finding a side where he was a focal point as a striker (either at United or Arsenal). He's only won an FA Cup with Arsenal too. At that time too Southampton were consistently a top 8 side and he could have been their main man, aswell as being in the EL, which may have projected him to get a move to someone like United/Chelsea/Arsenal to be the main man there. It's all ifs and buts and nobody knows what could have happened but I don't think it's wrong to think he just didn't develop in the way you'd expect at all.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
In hindsight, possibly. It depends what you want from your career. He clearly had the potential to develop further than he has and i don't think that is purely down to injuries but also down to never finding a side where he was a focal point as a striker (either at United or Arsenal). He's only won an FA Cup with Arsenal too. At that time too Southampton were consistently a top 8 side and he could have been their main man, aswell as being in the EL, which may have projected him to get a move to someone like United/Chelsea/Arsenal to be the main man there. It's all ifs and buts and nobody knows what could have happened but I don't think it's wrong to think he just didn't develop in the way you'd expect at all.
It's a laughable opinion.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I don't think Welbeck ever had the potential to be a center forward for any team. Manager after manager has shunted him out wide to utilize his industriousness and keep him away from the box where he is more likely to make mistakes. His best case scenario would have been a role Lingard is playing right now.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Sadly, I think he’d have had a similar career wherever he ended up. There was already talk of a chronic knee problem when he was still at United. It’s a real shame but he turned out to be one of these career long sicknotes. If anything, his fragile joints would have been a bigger problem at a club that needed him to play every week.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
His performance this season under Emeri has been very good. I believe before his injury he was top scorer in the Europa league. He is the type of forward United could have used at the moment. Maybe instead of rumor of Arnautovic this winter a cheeky bid for Welbeck would make sense as well.

I believe with him and Rooney upfront in the 10/11 season, United generated the most goals tallied scored in over 10 years at the club. So, he has showed the capabilities to contribute at this level. At the moment United lacks work ethic so him or Arnautovic this winter will make sense to plug the lack of dynamism in our attack. The only issue is injuries and I doubt United are willing to entertain a forward that has injury problems.

Robbie Boy

You would have advised him to move to Southampton instead of Arsenal?

Yeah, righto.
He was never good enough for a top club. Not even remotely so. But of course he was going to go to a big club if they went in for him. I do think he should have looked to move on a few years ago, mind.

Sir Scott McToMinay

His performance this season under Emeri has been very good. I believe before his injury he was top scorer in the Europa league. He is the type of forward United could have used at the moment. Maybe instead of rumor of Arnautovic this winter a cheeky bid for Welbeck would make sense as well.

I believe with him and Rooney upfront in the 10/11 season, United generated the most goals tallied scored in over 10 years at the club. So, he has showed the capabilities to contribute at this level. At the moment United lacks work ethic so him or Arnautovic this winter will make sense to plug the lack of dynamism in our attack. The only issue is injuries and I doubt United are willing to entertain a forward that has injury problems.
In 10/11 it was Berbatov and Rooney and Hernandez and Rooney.
Welbeck did well when we were flying in the beginning of 11/12 with the famous duo of Ando and Clev in the midfield.
Taking Welbeck back in January or any other month would be a joke of a decision, c’mon man, rather give that game time to a young player for crying out loud.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Except at the time we were desperate for a striker.
Giroud wasn't doing that badly for you at that point was he? Welbeck wanted to leave United and be the no.1 striker and it never happened for him at Arsenal. It probably would have elsewhere injuries aside.

Sadly, I think he’d have had a similar career wherever he ended up. There was already talk of a chronic knee problem when he was still at United. It’s a real shame but he turned out to be one of these career long sicknotes. If anything, his fragile joints would have been a bigger problem at a club that needed him to play every week.
Ah, I don't remember him being injured as much at United tbf. True about playing every week, he's had a decent enough career considering his problems though.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine

Our issues with new signings lie with the fact that so many of them are not quite good enough for United,
Signing Welbeck would fall into that category.
There's a reason he has been playing in the Europa League, he's not a league starter for the gooners because he's not good enough.
He's a worse option than Rashford up top, not as good as Martial out wide, and not as good a goalscorer as Lukaku.