Television Dark - Netflix TV series

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Finished season two. Thoroughly enjoyed it but so many questions. Please help.

• What is a loop or a cycle? People keep saying the cycle must start again, or in this loop so and so happened which didn't in the last. What is that? All I understand is that there is one single timeline which has been defined procedurally by multiple players going back and forth between them and forming it's it's content accordingly.
  • What is the goal of the two opposing forces - Adam and Claudia? It seems Adam wants a catastrophe to end the world through a catastrophe and hence wants the past not to be altered in any way ? Then why does he send his younger self Jonas to save Michael? And if Claudia is the opposing force who wants to save everyone, and not start a burnt/new world, why did she want Michael dead? Couldnt they just avoid all of this through Michael of any age killing himself and preventing Adam altogether?
  • I'm really confused by Egon Tiedelsman. And I think I'm the only one. In 1987 he was the cop who was Unlrich's father wasn't he? Who locked his son up for tape allegations? Then he's shown to be Claudia's father? What am I missing here?! And isn't Tronte in 2020 Ulrich's dad. Argh!!
  • What are young Jonas and middle Jonas actually doing with respect to the wormhole thingies? They're trying to close it? I didn't really get that. First middle Jonas manages to only block the path. Then young Jonas alongwith Claudia burns the place down. Why?

Frasbul

everclear is a cool band. yeah they still exist.

• What is a loop or a cycle? People keep saying the cycle must start again, or in this loop so and so happened which didn't in the last. What is that? All I understand is that there is one single timeline which has been defined procedurally by multiple players going back and forth between them and forming it's it's content accordingly.
  • What is the goal of the two opposing forces - Adam and Claudia? It seems Adam wants a catastrophe to end the world through a catastrophe and hence wants the past not to be altered in any way ? Then why does he send his younger self Jonas to save Michael? And if Claudia is the opposing force who wants to save everyone, and not start a burnt/new world, why did she want Michael dead? Couldnt they just avoid all of this through Michael of any age killing himself and preventing Adam altogether?
  • I'm really confused by Egon Tiedelsman. And I think I'm the only one. In 1987 he was the cop who was Unlrich's father wasn't he? Who locked his son up for tape allegations? Then he's shown to be Claudia's father? What am I missing here?! And isn't Tronte in 2020 Ulrich's dad. Argh!!
  • What are young Jonas and middle Jonas actually doing with respect to the wormhole thingies? They're trying to close it? I didn't really get that. First middle Jonas manages to only block the path. Then young Jonas alongwith Claudia burns the place down. Why?
Egon Tiedemann isn't Ulrich's father in 86, you got that wrong. He is - of course - Claudia's father. In 86, he is just the cop who arrests Ulrich.

amolbhatia50k

Egon Tiedemann isn't Ulrich's father in 86, you got that wrong. He is - of course - Claudia's father. In 86, he is just the cop who arrests Ulrich.
Bloody hell. I really thought they were father and son who despised each other.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS

Everything happening is in a time loop. Take "present" Jonas for example, he speaks to an older version of himself several times. The Jonas he speaks to has lived that moment before from the other side of the conversation. That also means "present" Jonas is going to live that moment again but as older Jonas. This in turn means there'll be a new young Jonas, rinse and repeat. Jonas is trying to break out of this loop.

I don't think we really know the intentions of Adam and Claudia yet. They're both pretty untrustworthy so I'm not sure we can give them an objective which we can trust. On the face of it they seem to want to end the loop.
It's difficult doing though as we're told it's actually Jonas bringing Mikkel to 1986 in the first place.

I think Jonas actually created the wormhole when he wanted to destroy it. It's another bootstrap paradox basically.

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
How did the loop become a thing? How did Jonas bring Mikkel back to 1986 so he could become his dad if Mikkel hadn't went back yet, so then Jonas wouldn't have been born which means he couldn't have taken Mikkel back.

Ainu

How did the loop become a thing? How did Jonas bring Mikkel back to 1986 so he could become his dad if Mikkel hadn't went back yet, so then Jonas wouldn't have been born which means he couldn't have taken Mikkel back.
That's the thing about a loop, it doesn't have a starting point.

Maagge

Yeah it's one of those bootstrap paradoxes H. G. Tannhaus talks about. You cannot really tell which came first.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
These types of things assume that our concept of time being linear is incorrect.
There isn’t a starting point

Spoony

The People's President
It's just Sci fi. I wouldn't start doubting the laws of physics on the back of some fun ideas.

Last edited:

amolbhatia50k

Everything happening is in a time loop. Take "present" Jonas for example, he speaks to an older version of himself several times. The Jonas he speaks to has lived that moment before from the other side of the conversation. That also means "present" Jonas is going to live that moment again but as older Jonas. This in turn means there'll be a new young Jonas, rinse and repeat. Jonas is trying to break out of this loop.

I don't think we really know the intentions of Adam and Claudia yet. They're both pretty untrustworthy so I'm not sure we can give them an objective which we can trust. On the face of it they seem to want to end the loop.
It's difficult doing though as we're told it's actually Jonas bringing Mikkel to 1986 in the first place.

I think Jonas actually created the wormhole when he wanted to destroy it. It's another bootstrap paradox basically.
I still don't see how any of it is a loop, really. Young Jonas becomes middle Jonas who becomes Old Jonas. The only difference between this and our reality is that you have people enter timelines they aren't originally a part of and hence interact with people there.

When I see young Jonas speaking to middle Jonas, he is hearing words he will eventually speak one day. I get that. They are part of a single lifespan. But eventually he becomes his older self and dies. I don't see how the loop restarts? What am I missing here? How do things return to the origin/reset?

The way I see it, by going back into the past and influencing things a certain way, Adam/Jonas is affecting this reality/storyline. He wants to end mankind and is playing the entire sequence of events to reach that point. Don't see him seeking for a loop/change in loops.

Sigh. My head hurts!!

Maagge

I still don't see how any of it is a loop, really. Young Jonas becomes middle Jonas who becomes Old Jonas. The only difference between this and our reality is that you have people enter timelines they aren't originally a part of and hence interact with people there.

When I see young Jonas speaking to middle Jonas, he is hearing words he will eventually speak one day. I get that. They are part of a single lifespan. But eventually he becomes his older self and dies. I don't see how the loop restarts? What am I missing here? How do things return to the origin/reset?

The way I see it, by going back into the past and influencing things a certain way, Adam/Jonas is affecting this reality/storyline. He wants to end mankind and is playing the entire sequence of events to reach that point. Don't see him seeking for a loop/change in loops.

Sigh. My head hurts!!
As you say yourself, younger Jonas speaking to older Jonas will grow older and take older Jonas place in that conversation. At that point he still needs a younger version of himself to speak to. That younger version will in turn need a younger version of himself once he takes older Jonas place.

It is weird though.

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
Am now debating whether to rewatch season 1 and 2 before then, or to just hope things come back to me as needed.

Ainu

A rewatch might be necessary, it's hard to keep track of who is who in each timeline and how they're all related. Very excited for this, I'm curious to see how they will manage to wrap this up.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
feck yes. Hope this doesnt disappoint as a final season. If it pulls it off it'll be one of my favourite shows of all time. First 2 seasons have been awesome.

amolbhatia50k

Terrific news! Really hope they nail the third and final season. First two were brilliant

Dan_F

I’m glad I only started this a few months back, so it’s all still pretty fresh in my mind. Although, I’m generally dreadful at remember even the biggest details in tv shows.

izec

feck yes. Hope this doesnt disappoint as a final season. If it pulls it off it'll be one of my favourite shows of all time. First 2 seasons have been awesome.
Since all three were planned beforehand, i think chances are higher it will be on the same level. Fingers crossed.

Am now debating whether to rewatch season 1 and 2 before then, or to just hope things come back to me as needed.
will definitely start watching season 1 and 2 again a week before, i will be right in the middle of it and that makes it more fun for me

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I'm sure there'll be a catch up video on YouTube.

Isn't it nice that there's always someone who makes these things. If you need it, someone will have already made it.

Maagge

I'd thoroughly recommend a rewatch of the first two seasons. There's an incredible amount of foreshadowing that you have no chance of picking up in the first watch.

I'm really looking forward to this, but I'm staying away from trailers such a etc. as I don't want anything spoiled.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Probably won't watch the trailer so I can go into it with no preconceptions.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
This show is one of the few positives in this hellish year

Amir

Has anyone found a really good season 1 recap anywhere? I thought it was brilliant but just started watching S2 and have not got a fecking clue what’s going on. I have a terrible memory for names/faces.
I suffered the same way. Which is why I have now started watching season 1+2 ahead of Season 3.

Rewatching shows I've previously watched is not something I've done in recent years, but Dark is good enough and rewatching it has so much value ahead of the final season.

amolbhatia50k

I'll definitely be re-watching season 1 and 2 before season 3 comes.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I suffered the same way. Which is why I have now started watching season 1+2 ahead of Season 3.

Rewatching shows I've previously watched is not something I've done in recent years, but Dark is good enough and rewatching it has so much value ahead of the final season.
I'll definitely be re-watching season 1 and 2 before season 3 comes.
Oh man. You’re probably right but that feels like such a commitment :(

amolbhatia50k

Oh man. You’re probably right but that feels like such a commitment :(
It's just 18 episodes. :)
To be honest, having said what I said, I'm terrible with shows. Due to my other interest (sounds shady) I dont get around to watch many. Feel like I'm years behind in the whole television drama bandwagon. But Dark was one that absolutely hooked me so will be rewatching and it's a unique show where its probably required.

amolbhatia50k

Whoah, I didnt realise how close we were to season 3. Covid time passes differently.

Amir

To be honest, having said what I said, I'm terrible with shows. Due to my other interest (sounds shady) I dont get around to watch many. Feel like I'm years behind in the whole television drama bandwagon.
You probably are. I was left behind and started catching up a few years back.

Yada, yada, yada, I'm still catching up. :lol:

amolbhatia50k

On another note, my wife initially tried to watch Dark with me but around the 6th or 7th episode after the you know what starts happening a lot, she almost instantly went from 'this is somewhat interest and I can try to enjoy it' to 'What !@#!@ nonsense @#$@#'!?'.

Also, sometimes I like to make that humming/buzzing (?) sound that's one of the main background sounds of the show, just to annoy her.

Good times.