Gaming Dark Souls III

izzydiggler

Just got to the Nameless King, so essentially 2 more bosses until I'm done. 30 hours with all optional areas/bosses done - seems much shorter than the others, as it took ages to finish DS1...albeit I was worse at them back then.

izzydiggler

H
Just to make everyone feel bad: a guy is doing an SL1 challenge run with no blockin, rolling, parrying or getting hit. Here's the Champion Gundyr fight:

How the hell did they do the Abyss Watchers / Pontiff Sulyvahn fights without rolling or blocking?!?

Skywarden

Talk about learning the move patterns. Impressive.

Edit: On surface, the Abyss watchers fight isn't too bothersome once you realise when it's safe to get behind him in P2 and stab him in the back. It's the same pattern until death. P1 is all about letting the two of them fight the red-eyed knight and chip in with damage from time to time.

Something more light-hearted:

Pulling out the bionicles completed this. :lol:

Last edited:

izzydiggler

No idea about Abyss Watchers but he posted the Cuntiff Shittyvahn video:

Makes it look so easy. Seems to be able to stay at the right distance, so they don't unleash their 'you will definitely die move'. I find a lot of bosses are easy but they have one move, where it's nigh on impossible to survive - Aldrich being one of them...did it 3rd time and the other 2 defeats I was do close - in essence an easy fight but that arrow rain = instant death!

Eriku

I've been doing that recently, checking out no damage vids against Dancer, Sulyvahn, people who can parry Sulyvahn and the Abyss Watchers with ease... I come out sweating after 20 attempts against the likes of them, and take plenty of blows to the face even in my successful attempts. It sickens me seeing people just step out of the way and avoiding the blows with ease :|

izzydiggler

Caved and broke the 'no summon' rule on the Nameless King. Infuriating though, taking an age to get some help before they die on the easy dragon bit...I thought the hired help would be good!

izzydiggler

And he's down...Nameless King, easily the hardest boss, unless the last one is harder - about to see.

Bebe

I thought I was hot shit after romping through the second half of ds1 with relative ease. Those Lothric Knights disabused me of the notion.

Took about 7 tries to beat Vordt, getting him down to the same ish amount of health each time. Very frustrating since he wasn't actually that hard, I just kept making one mistake then panicking.

Any one else really liking bows and spells in this? I used a bow to draw enemies out in ds1, never used magic except for magic weapon. Both options seem very viable in this, and a bit more fun as well given the faster pace.

siw2007

Not as far through it as I had hoped because of other games but I have just beat the Abyss Watchers. My favourite fight so far, I had to summon the NPC outside but it made the fight so cool with 2 v 2 and one who had no effing clue what he was doing, he also gave me the much needed breathers in the second phase.

Skywarden

I thought I was hot shit after romping through the second half of ds1 with relative ease. Those Lothric Knights disabused me of the notion.

Took about 7 tries to beat Vordt, getting him down to the same ish amount of health each time. Very frustrating since he wasn't actually that hard, I just kept making one mistake then panicking.

Any one else really liking bows and spells in this? I used a bow to draw enemies out in ds1, never used magic except for magic weapon. Both options seem very viable in this, and a bit more fun as well given the faster pace.
I was a bit disappointed to find out that I, as a high INT sorcerer, had to clear Grand Archives to get to the beastly spells for PVP. Up until that point, every time I got invaded I was forced to use slow hitting/casting spells. Now, however, sitting at 55 INT with a maxed out Court Sorcerer's Staff I melt most things in my way.

Timing a casting spell so that you fire off at the moment you are about to get hit by an incoming spell, glitches the impact and you stay unharmed. Anyone else noticed this?

izzydiggler

Finished it...enjoyable but no real surprises or meaningful changes to the formula, so getting a little stale and no desire to attempt NG+.

Skywarden

Was...was that the end? What an anticlimax. Ploughed him good without much effort after 3-4 attempts. Talk about a disappointment.

Siorac

The consensus seems to be that sorcery is weaker than it has ever been. I tried respeccing to Sorc on my SL140 character and at that level it did very good damage with a fully upgraded catalyst but I didn't enjoy it so went back to melee.

Bows are, and have always been, fantastic.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Was...was that the end? What an anticlimax. Ploughed him good without much effort after 3-4 attempts. Talk about a disappointment.
Yeah, every Dark Souls game has a shit ending. Even the secret ending in this which requires following a complicated questline throughout the game is shite.

But I suppose Souls games are more about the journey than the destination.

Skywarden

The consensus seems to be that sorcery is weaker than it has ever been. I tried respeccing to Sorc on my SL140 character and at that level it did very good damage with a fully upgraded catalyst but I didn't enjoy it so went back to melee.

Bows are, and have always been, fantastic.
Pure Sorcery is very demanding until you travel past UD Settlement and well into road of sacrifices. I tried not to bother with melee this playthrough but it was excruciating at times. Farron Flashsword and Crystal Sage's Rapier really flipped the table PVE-wise but PVP was still meh. Overall I felt the real power-spike around 40INT and pouring everyting into my heretic staff until I could get enough INT for Court Sorcere's Staff to outscale the former. My advice to anyone wanting to play as a pure sorcerer would be to start off with some pyromancy as well as it helps against many of the foes post UD settlement. Oh and work on your rolls!

Yeah, every Dark Souls game has a shit ending. Even the secret ending in this which requires following a complicated questline throughout the game is shite.

But I suppose Souls games are more about the journey than the destination.
Yeah this journey felt good and the game looked very good, overall a pleasant ride.

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
He dead.

And after going through the whole "secret ending" sub plot malarky I ended up getting a different one by "activating" the wrong thing. :/

Ah well, they all seem a bit shit tbh. Go me. I only summoned for two fights during the whole game, one of those summons was an AI.

Eriku

Grand Archives... Gah. So mazy and weird, I wonder if I've been missing short cuts.

I have a strong feeling that I'm nearing end-game. Does it launch straight into NG+ or is it like DS2?

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
Grand Archives... Gah. So mazy and weird, I wonder if I've been missing short cuts.

I have a strong feeling that I'm nearing end-game. Does it launch straight into NG+ or is it like DS2?
You've missed a decent amount of side content. But yes, you're nearing the end.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

Gives you the option to start ng+ right after the last boss or continue on ng and then enter ng+ when you are ready

bosnian_red

NG+ is disappointingly easy... Switched from a strength build to a sorcerer build for it and haven't really needed to summon anyone for any fight other then Pontiff sullivan. Just beat Dancer of the borreal valley without any problems, though I struggled on him in the normal game. Not really any benefit to doing NG+ other then the +1 and +2 version of the rings, and even then it's not a huge boost.

One of the few things Dark Souls 2 has over the other dark souls games was how they had an incentive for going to NG+ to get new weapons and the enemies being different.

Siorac

NG+ is disappointingly easy... Switched from a strength build to a sorcerer build for it and haven't really needed to summon anyone for any fight other then Pontiff sullivan. Just beat Dancer of the borreal valley without any problems, though I struggled on him in the normal game. Not really any benefit to doing NG+ other then the ** and +2 version of the rings, and even then it's not a huge boost.

One of the few things Dark Souls 2 has over the other dark souls games was how they had an incentive for going to NG+ to get new weapons and the enemies being different.
I'm in NG+++ now, doing a sort of a speedrun. Took about 1 hour 40 minutes to get to Dragonslayer Armour but on this difficulty he became a big fecking roadblock. Quite simply I cannot get hit in the second phase - I can get hit once but then I'll have to beat him because attempts to heal invariably ended in disaster. I just can't beat him right now. Perhaps 36 Vigor is too low at this point.

He caused me no problem in NG+ and only a little in NG++, for what it's worth.

TheSamulator

classic sam. they love me, tbh
I haven't played this since I got repeatedly fecked in the arse by the silver knight archers in that be which is an obvious homage to DS1s Anor London archers. I managed them in DS1 with a bit of cheese (shot them with poisoned arrows), but haven't found a decent method of dealing with them in this game.

Eriku

I haven't played this since I got repeatedly fecked in the arse by the silver knight archers in that be which is an obvious homage to DS1s Anor London archers. I managed them in DS1 with a bit of cheese (shot them with poisoned arrows), but haven't found a decent method of dealing with them in this game.
Just bypass the mofos. It's harder than Anor Londo because of that arsehole to the right who gets you even when you're behind pillars, so I just ran past them.

siw2007

Managed to get Boreal Valley and oh my god it is killing me. I ran past the bridge monster but am getting slaughtered by those wraith knights. They are lightning quick and taking me out in two hits!! Any tips on how to fight them??

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Managed to get Boreal Valley and oh my god it is killing me. I ran past the bridge monster but am getting slaughtered by those wraith knights. They are lightning quick and taking me out in two hits!! Any tips on how to fight them??
Try to bait that overhand slashing attack that they do 3 or 4 times in a row. Easy to get behind them for a backstab when they're doing that.

Isolate them too. More than one of those at a time usually equals death.

siw2007

Try to bait that overhand slashing attack that they do 3 or 4 times in a row. Easy to get behind them for a backstab when they're doing that.

Isolate them too. More than one of those at a time usually equals death.
Cheers will try that. I did notice that if you get get out of the range of the slashing attacks then you can strafe around them.

Eriku

Boom! That's me done. Didn't go to that one hidden area
Archdragon Peak
at least not yet... But aside from that I did all the bosses. 35 hrs and 50 mins, the fastest I've ever gone through a Soulsborne game ^_^

bosnian_red

FFS just sold all of my embers on accident :lol: Wanted to sell just 2 of the 60 I had to get a bit of souls to level up and ended up hitting down instead of up and I sold them all. Perfect

izzydiggler

FFS just sold all of my embers on accident :lol: Wanted to sell just 2 of the 60 I had to get a bit of souls to level up and ended up hitting down instead of up and I sold them all. Perfect
I hope that you've already beat The Nameless King :nervous: