Gaming Dark Souls III

Eriku

bump... 4 mins of gameplay from the Ringed City DLC for those who'd care to see.

Looks aaaaaaawesome to me... That dilapidated Escher-style crumpled up scenery from the end of the main game was really cool, and I'm glad they made a DLC where you explore some of that :)

Runner

This is the funniest Darks Souls video I've seen. Couldn't stop laughing at the ending.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Nearly at the end of this. Being thrashed by the twin princes repeatedly. But what an incredible experience this has been. I'm a huge fan of the series despite having only finished one of the previous games.

Finishing Dark Souls, Demon Souls, Blood borne and Nioh are on my agenda now. No idea how I'll play demon souls though.

largelyworried

No replies for 3 years?

Caftards getting soft and avoid this game?
I hammered Demons and DS 1 & 2, but for some reason this game just never really appealed to me. Also the price doesnt seem to fall in the store whenever I look.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
I hammered Demons and DS 1 & 2, but for some reason this game just never really appealed to me. Also the price doesnt seem to fall in the store whenever I look.
I thought this was the best of the 3. It might have lacked some originality, but I thought everything about the game was better than the others. Better balance, level design, enemies, bosses, weapons, magic, better combat etc. I tried replaying DS1 remastered some time ago and I just couldn't get into it.

Bosws87

Dark Souls 2 should never be spoken about dreadful, I liked the aggressive nature of the combat on the third one you could play it without a shield and blocking and just use the I-frames in the roll mechanic to complete the game,
Dark souls 1 was never as fluid with the combat and was much more methodical.

Bloodborne and Dark souls 3 combat are similar in nature and my favourite of the series :)

Gehrman

I'd say the DLC's in this game game are pretty good as well. They feature some of the best bosses and add some variety to scenery.

largelyworried

Dark Souls 2 should never be spoken about dreadful, I liked the aggressive nature of the combat on the third one you could play it without a shield and blocking and just use the I-frames in the roll mechanic to complete the game,

Bloodborne and Dark souls 3 combat are similar in nature and my favourite of the series :)
Never understood the hate for DS2, it was fine. Preferred DS1 but thought it was better than Demons (the original, not played the remake).

Abraxas

They're all great games, just subtly different. DS1 had that labyrinth, dingy quality that made you feel clever when you figured out how everything linked. Also very challenging. DS2 had so much genuine variety in the way you could build the character but had the weakest gameplay in my opinion. DS3 is a lot more modernised, faster, but more linear. I enjoyed the online on DS3 the most because there wasn't as much overpowered nonsense going on.

amolbhatia50k

They say Sekiro is harder than DS3.

I never played Sekiro, so... @amolbhatia50k
I think it is. There were a couple of bosses where I really struggled with on DS such as the twin princes and the dancer, but I'm probably a third into Sekiro and so far I'm finding it much harder.

amolbhatia50k

Do you guys actually replay these games? Love this series but I've played a second run. Not sure it's worth the stress given I've already beaten those bosses.

evil_geko

Same, I went through DS 1 and 2 countless times, DS3 never clicked with me.

DS1 will always be by far the best one for me.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Do you guys actually replay these games? Love this series but I've played a second run. Not sure it's worth the stress given I've already beaten those bosses.
It's just a steep learning curve.

I spend 5 or 6 hours on friede, but after doing the legwork the next run is smooth as hell. Kinda like the matrix, you really dance along with her knowing what's comes next.

Was bored during lockdown, so yeah, 3rd replay was fun, knowing what's what who's who and which's which.

Ainu

Once you've beaten the bosses a first time, the second run is generally a cakewalk. I haven't replayed this one but I did multiple runs of Bloodborne and Sekiro.

I thought DS3 was great but the combat did feel a little bit unbalanced. Some of the bosses moved at a speed more suitable to Bloodborne and there were two big issues with this: 1) your own character is very fast and has loads of stamina for a DS game, but you weren't quite as fast as in BB and you don't have a quick dodge step, only a roll, and 2) it lacks the rally feature of BB so aggression is punished more severely. Sometimes I didn't really see any other viable tactic than panic rolling.

Gehrman

I just enjoy replaying with a proper build and helping others out. I guess its preference, i love replaying fromsoftware games whereas certain storydriven games dont have that appeal.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus

Shut your mouth, DS2: SotFS is the best Souls game.

- Best PVP
- Best DLC with the best bosses in the whole series
- Best variety of builds and weapons
- Powerstancing
- Bone Fist
- Best hub area in Majula

Bloodborne is the best Soulsborne game though.

Bebe

I tend to play them twice. Once to slowly progress, miss tons of stuff and get my arse kicked. The second to laugh maniacally as I parry Champion Gundyr into oblivion without taking a scratch.

Irwin99

DS 3 actually went down a bit in my estimation on my second playthrough and I don't really know why; still a very good game though. My ratings would be;

1. Bloodborne-Like Witcher 3 the outstanding DLC just elevates the game higher IMO. I hated this game at first but it grew to be my favorite. The biggest dislike for me was farming healing items which I find really annoying
  2. Dark Souls- best level design and I love how interconnected everything is.
  3. Dark Souls 2- I really enjoyed it, surprised by the hate it gets. I actually played this one as a mage character so maybe I escaped some of the usual complaints? Best PvP of the series too
  4. Dark Souls 3- Took a while to get going but has some memorable moments and bosses
  5. Demons Souls- Just couldn't get into at all. Really missed the bonfire mechanic and I didn't like some design elements. I won't be completing this one.

amolbhatia50k

I just enjoy replaying with a proper build and helping others out. I guess its preference, i love replaying fromsoftware games whereas certain storydriven games dont have that appeal.
I always play as a regular sword and shield dude. Any suggestions for an ideal second playthrough of DS 3?

amolbhatia50k

I tend to play them twice. Once to slowly progress, miss tons of stuff and get my arse kicked. The second to laugh maniacally as I parry Champion Gundyr into oblivion without taking a scratch.
Yeah but no matter how many times I play the game I'm not going to find the Twin Princes and the Dancing fellow easy.

Bebe

Yeah but no matter how many times I play the game I'm not going to find the Twin Princes and the Dancing fellow easy.
I managed to get to that point with the Twin Princes , which was so very satisfying. The Dancer I got down except for her grab attack that would always suck me in no matter how much distance I thought I had.

amolbhatia50k

I managed to get to that point with the Twin Princes , which was so very satisfying. The Dancer I got down except for her grab attack that would always suck me in no matter how much distance I thought I had.
Tbh I'm not actually good at these games. Never really parry for one. Feel like I've taken a lot longer in Sekiro to get where genuinely great players would, much faster.

Gehrman

I always play as a regular sword and shield dude. Any suggestions for an ideal second playthrough of DS 3?
Considering I tend to play as a sword and shield guy as well I don't really have a lot of suggestions. There is some dark magic sorcery spell you can pick up in the final dlc which shoots big black orbs which is cryptonite for some of the hardest bosses.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
The game has been beaten in so many ways.

Some notable run:

1. Beating this with a Dancing Pad DDR
2. beating this full run without getting hit
3. Using a mod to make the every stat as 1
4. Beating this using only hands (no weapon allowed)

some programs even gives you randomized handicap for the lul, ranging from Katana only up to 5SL maximum.

It's ridiculously becoming a joke for some people.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Tbh I'm not actually good at these games. Never really parry for one. Feel like I've taken a lot longer in Sekiro to get where genuinely great players would, much faster.
They key is not to beat it, but to do nothing and observe the boss moveset and memorize it.

Once you got the timing, you can play it safe and only strike if (for example) he lunges from far.

It's pretty down to a clock once you know the fight.

Considering I tend to play as a sword and shield guy as well I don't really have a lot of suggestions. There is some dark magic sorcery spell you can pick up in the final dlc which shoots big black orbs which is cryptonite for some of the hardest bosses.
Try no shield run, or full bow run.

Siorac

The game has been beaten in so many ways.

Some notable run:

1. Beating this with a Dancing Pad DDR
2. beating this full run without getting hit
3. Using a mod to make the every stat as 1
4. Beating this using only hands (no weapon allowed)

some programs even gives you randomized handicap for the lul, ranging from Katana only up to 5SL maximum.

It's ridiculously becoming a joke for some people.
One madman did it with voice commands.

Bebe

Wouldn't consider myself particularly good either. I've beaten DS and DS3 a few times each, but only played about half of Bloodborne and gave up on Sekiro pretty quick.

amolbhatia50k

Wouldn't consider myself particularly good either. I've beaten DS and DS3 a few times each, but only played about half of Bloodborne and gave up on Sekiro pretty quick.
Sekiro is the hardest for me but I'm absolutely loving it. The combat is more precise and tighter than the souls games. Bloodborne I found pretty easy in comparison to the others.

Any suggestions from anyone on a slightly different build for DS3? Never tried magic in these games. I find spells lame as feck :lol:

All this talk makes me want to go back to it. Although it's probably too fresh in my memory to feel that great.

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Sekiro is the hardest for me but I'm absolutely loving it. The combat is more precise and tighter than the souls games. Bloodborne I found pretty easy in comparison to the others.

Any suggestions from anyone on a slightly different build for DS3? Never tried magic in these games. I find spells lame as feck :lol:

All this talk makes me want to go back to it. Although it's probably too fresh in my memory to feel that great.
I play a proper thief type character on souls, knife/light fast weapon and buckler. Fast bleed builds are good fun in all three and they help learn movement more (as you really have to :lol:)

Bebe

I've just never really been able to "get" Bloodborne. I know how highly its atmosphere and story are praised, but it's just never clicked for me and I get bored of it easily. Some day (maybe if there's ever a 60fps PS5 patch) I'll try it again.

As for magic...I'm in the same boat unfortunately :lol: I sometimes do a weapon buff but that's it really. I love the Souls combat and magic kinda kills all that imo.

I haven't played one in a couple years at least, now I'm thinking I might once I'm done with Mass Effect.

SuperiorXI

Started playing this for the first time the other day. Completed Bloodborne and got quite far into DS1 (but became way too overpowered early and got bored - my own fault TBH as I grinded for hours in the painted world).

Enjoying this so far, I'm playing in an odd way I don't usually go with but it seems to work... I'm basically wearing feck all so I can move fast and roll a lot, this combined with the lothric knight sword seems to be a deadly combo (so far!!!)

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
What would be a good strength scaling weapon for a melee character to be on the look out for. Currently in the Undead Settlement, so pretty early in the game.
2H? 1H?

for 1H farm for Abyss knight sword, or the one in the swamp (black something) well basically any sword will do just fine for your first playthrough, pick something with a moveset you like and suits you.

harshad

Play the odds, not the man - Poor man's Harvey
Scout
On a long road that returns to Old Trafford!!!
2H? 1H?

for 1H farm for Abyss knight sword, or the one in the swamp (black something) well basically any sword will do just fine for your first playthrough, pick something with a moveset you like and suits you.
Mostly one handed. Is the Abyss Knight Sword purchased from a NPC or found in the game as a loot?