Darmian / Signs permanent deal for Parma

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevoc

I always thought he looked fairly tidy defensively. I've been baffled by the refusal to play him.
Bare in min mate he's barely played in 2 years, when he was playing regularly tidy isn't a phrase i would have used to describe him.

As i've said earlier in the thread the fact he couldn't displace either a badly declining Valencia or an aging winger in Young at RB under 2 managers tells us everything we need to know about how good Darmian is.

FireballXL5

Another spectacular bit of business. We really aren't very good at this, are we?

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
The man had the physical attributes of an under developed teenager.

Not since the halcyon days of Mark Boscnich and Andy Goram have we had such unathletic options in our squad.

Good riddance.

led_scholes

So rewatch the handful of games where he was decent but ignore the other countless games where he was hopeless?

Nah all players have purple patches even buttner had decent games.

Darmian has had good runs like the tail end of 16/17 but for the vast majority of the last 4 years he’s been absolutely dreadful.

If people think otherwise then they have to consider the fact he couldn’t even displace former wingers in their mid 30’s like Valencia and Young. That’s the harsh reality of just how good Matteo Darmian is.
No I' m saying that he was decent when he was used in a position suited to him. He was below par as a fullback, i don't deny this. All I m saying is that he is not an awful player, just no suited for pl. Should we keep him because he is decent as a 3rd cb? Of course no. However, it is our recruitment's fault that we could not see that he lacked physical attributes for the PL. I recall that when we signed him Bastian Sweinscheigher (101% i misspell his name) said that Darmian is an italian defender: good at defending. He never was an attacking fullback.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
There can be a lot of reasons why he didn't leave before, not least the previous manager wanted to keep him (inexplicably), or his wage demands were too high, when coupled with the transfer fee.
Sounds likely enough. He was on very good money at United - not to say silly money for a player who was barely a rotation option.

Would be surprising if Juve were willing to match his wages. They were targeting him as a squad player, presumably, not as someone they were really keen on signing.

SilverPaper on the Breeze

A 90s full back in a 21st century world. Didn’t seem like a troublemaker but really should have gone last summer. Hope he does well at Parma

stevoc

No I' m saying that he was decent when he was used in a position suited to him. He was below par as a fullback, i don't deny this. All I m saying is that he is not an awful player, just no suited for pl. Should we keep him because he is decent as a 3rd cb? Of course no. However, it is our recruitment's fault that we could not see that he lacked physical attributes for the PL. I recall that when we signed him Bastian Sweinscheigher (101% i misspell his name) said that Darmian is an italian defender: good at defending. He never was an attacking fullback.
The problem is that position would suit pretty much any defender and tells us nothing about Darmians ability. He wasn't even that great as a 3rd CB or tucked in LB. The only good run he had in the side towards the end of 16/17 was in highly defensive set-ups. The way we set-up in games against Chelsea and Ajax etc that season i would expect pretty much anyone to play well defensively. We parked the bus against Bayern in 2014 and even Buttner looked good defensively in that sort of formation with defensive tactics.

He isn't a bad player, he's an awful one.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I can't believe some posters are upset about the fee. I'd have paid Parma 10m to take him.
It's the way we've spent about a year trying to get a higher fee in, probably paying him 4-5m wages over that time! While he's played about 5 games for that money.

Totally ridiculous.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I would like to see a stat of how many 90mins without getting booked, that he managed for us.

I'd be amazed if that reached double figures.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Had to happen. Pity we kept stringing the lad along for so long. He never seemed to give anything but his best, which is more than others can say. Wish him the best.

Jacob

Christ, how small is our squad now in senior members?

BlackBen

I'm very delighted for him. He's been a top professional and deserves to finally be playing some football. Sad he couldn't make it here. All the best Matteo!!

noodlehair

"It's like..."
How much was the fee? I mean how much did we give them to take Damian...£5m? £10m?

Member 90887

Perfect professional. Hopes we played them at some point in the future so that he gets a good welcome.

No disrespect, always giving his best.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
£1.5M?
3m for a loan for Smalling?

We're very much back to the shockingly poor sellers again aren't we.

And before anyone even tries to pretend those are good deals, why on earth didn't we save ourselves 4-5m in wages for Darmian and do this sort of deal last year?

To get those 5 appearances out of him?

GiddyUp

Good stuff. He deserves a move back to reignite his career. I'm very happy about the defensive clear out. I still feel that Jones has a mistake in him at anytime but is still a safer bet than Smalling. We just need a versatile defender who can cover for AWB and Shaw so we can get rid of Young. Then we can spend every cent on getting us some fecking goals.
I'm extremely sad and frustrated with this club but quietly optimistic that Ole has a plan. Scholes is right that we should basically write off this season and probably next as we need to start from scratch.

stevoc

A plain light grey picture, yeah that just just about sums up Darmians United career perfectly.

Good luck to him, delighted i'll never have to see him huffing and puffing around his own half in a United shirt ever again.

Bwuk

Good luck Darmian. A model professional in his time here.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
How much was the fee? I mean how much did we give them to take Damian...£5m? £10m?
€12.5 million iirc. Waste of money.

Close thread. Thank God another piece of deadwood is gone.

Alemar

Are we going to sell/loan out someone else till the end of the window?

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Not sure he enjoyed his time in Manchester, the last couple of years he appears to have been after a move back to Italy, but credit to him, he's never come out on social media and said anything about it. Very professional. Good luck to you Matteo.

crossy1686

career ending
Another one gone!

Shame we couldn't shift Rojo also but I suspect him and Lingard may get moved on next summer. Hopefully Sanchez and Smalling also stay gone, along with Jones and Matic.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
He featured so little in recent times that at one point I forgot he was still at the club.

Still, by all accounts he behaved very professionally given he wanted to leave for the last couple of years.

MS4

Really 1.5M € ... i am glad he is gone because he isnt good enough but we really could not get more?
1.5M is a joke

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Another one gone!

Shame we couldn't shift Rojo also but I suspect him and Lingard may get moved on next summer. Hopefully Sanchez and Smalling also stay gone, along with Jones and Matic.
We wouldn't have enough players left to put out a team if it was up to some of you lot!

Ban

Really 1.5M € ... i am glad he is gone because he isnt good enough but we really could not get more?
1.5M is a joke
We haggled for few more millions and now sold him for pittance.

Best of luck to him. I mean Darmian.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
1.5M is a joke
Really? I'm pretty happy with that to be honest, I mean, can't believe we only had to pay them €1.5m to take him of our hands... absolute bargain for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.