Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Really impressed with his 2 showings thus far. This role in this formation really suits him. Fingers crossed he can stay fit and healthy.

redevil2

Love him! Please stay healthy and strong. He will be valuable to our campaign when he stays healthy.

Bojan11

I think Van Gaal is the right guy for him. There is no sentimental there that Ferguson and Moyes would have showed him due to his health problems.

Reports of Van Gaal pushing him and making him do more running.

okLaptop1

Supports
Minnesota Vikings
I'm trying not to get my hopes up that he'll get back to this 2008-11 form, but the signs are looking good. First full pre-season he's had in how long, could do wonders. One thing is clear, if we had a Fletch that was 5 years younger, I wouldn't be fussed at all about missing out on Vidal.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
For me, I don't think I can personally consider him back anywhere near his best level until we've seen him in a prolonged run in the team, where he is really contributing, instigating the attacks by feeding the ball into the number 10 consistently. He needs a Carrick 2011 moment where he capitalises on the chances he takes and doesn't look back to his worst (well for a good 2 years or so anyway - following on from the Carrick example).

I've been reading a few things about his particular operation which sound promising, but I look to a similar player who was at a similar level in 2010 and wonder how long it will last. Nani being the example, where he takes one hit and he's finished again for another 6-12 months. Fletcher obviously seems stronger mentally which is a massive boost.

Either way if we're shifting Fellaini and Anderson being useless, a midfield quartet of Fletcher, Cleverley, Herrera and Carrick needs one more for a little bit more help.

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
Thought he was poor in the first game and last night played the easy ball but was never pressed when in possession, which his weakness due to the number of touches it takes him to control a ball.

Lane

I think he did okay against Inter, just finished watching second half. Sort of even borderline good-ish okay.

For me his ball control skills are not the main issue, although he is not really a technical player, but he never was. He was so good because of the engine, his stamina and pace, not even pace, but i would say mile coverage and his positioning/choosing when to run. In his best matches, it looked like he is everywhere and while never being particularly pacy he is always on time to tackles, intercept, provide cover or option for pass in attack. This is sort of general fitness skill. And with his problems, he lost a lot of that. I don't know whether he could ever get it back, probably no.
But i still i believe he can be a valuable asset. First of all he is our only DM a player that is a most defensive-oriented. So that's already something. He is clearly loyal to the club and i believe if even to repay the faith United showed him, he will be willing to stay for a squad role, he is also very determined and diligent, with a good work-rate, which makes him very good squad player, you can always rely on him to perform of decent level at least. He is not the sulking type, like some of our "more southern" players.
So, his contract is up next year, United will probably run it down, because with Fletcher there is little, virtually none, risk that he will venture somewhere else in search of a fat paycheck if United will need him. And then LVG will decide whether we need him for 2 more years. I think he could well be a good squad player until 2016-2017.

All 3 United

I'll take compliments where I can get them and coming from you...
Tbh I don't really care how you take it as your opinion has never counted much to me. - 'ban a poster for questioning Fletchers 1st touch' priceless!!

All 3 United

Heh. Yeah, that's why I think you shouldn't post in this thread. Righto.
I don't want a bash a player who's been through so much but equally I don't want our midfield depending upon him this season. IMHO he's not up to it and his supposed £80k/week could be far better utilised.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I don't want a bash a player who's been through so much but equally I don't want our midfield depending upon him this season. IMHO he's not up to it and his supposed £80k/week could be far better utilised.
I don't think anyone wants our midfield to depend on him. We're in trouble if we do. Just a shame you can't acknowledge a good performance when you see one. That's the kind of extreme bias that means certain people really shouldn't post about certain players.

All 3 United

I don't think anyone wants our midfield to depend on him. We're in trouble if we do. Just a shame you can't acknowledge a good performance when you see one. That's the kind of extreme bias that means certain people really shouldn't post about certain players.
Wow! Back that horse up! There's no questioning he had a good game last night, it was just not a game you could judge how he will perform in a full blooded PL match, that was my point re: he was not put under pressure when in possession.

Devil may care

I think some got carried away with the performance against Inter when you read some of the post-match posts, but there's no denying he's looked sharp and if he keeps healthy he's a decent option in the squad with this system offering more protection.

United22

I've said it before and I'll say it again, remember him having a fantastic game or two when he first returned last season (Swansea at OT or something) and everyone got excited saying "he's back"; then he played like absolute horse shit for the remaining games? His performance vs Sunderland at OT made me wish I was on the pitch, because even I could have done a better job than that. Lets not jump to conclusions here, especially in pre season games where the pace is nothing like the Premier League/Champions League. Wait it out first

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Wow! Back that horse up! There's no questioning he had a good game last night, it was just not a game you could judge how he will perform in a full blooded PL match, that was my point re: he was not put under pressure when in possession.
That's the thing though. You can't imply he only did well because it was an easy game to look good in without wondering why Herrera didn't look equally as good? Now he's a player we really will rely on next season. Why did Fletcher find it easier to shine against Inter than he did? (I think Herrera is the more talented player, by the way)

All 3 United

That's the thing though. You can't imply he only did well because it was an easy game to look good in without wondering why Herrera didn't look equally as good? Now he's a player we really will rely on next season. Why did Fletcher find it easier to shine against Inter than he did? (I think Herrera is the more talented player, by the way)
Herrera was obviously asked to do more than play the easy ball (nothing wrong with that by the way). So his job was more challenging than Fletchers and when you try more difficult balls/runs and they don't come off then obviously it reflects on how your game is perceived by fans and alike.

Anyway, surely even you and I can agree that if Fletcher offers another option in CM this season then that can only be a positive for OUR team?

Ash_G

I never really understood why some were so quick to try and right him off. Yeah he had a mixed return, being average/poor in some games to giving some of the better if not best cm performances we saw last season but given the team he came in to, the fact he was coming back from a long illness and no real pre-season there was plenty positives to take away if people were being objective.

Now he's seemingly a lot healthier, he certainly seems to look like his oldself and the more he trains the more the physical aspects of his game will increase even if they won't quite reach what they were. Either way he's showed that there's no reason he can't be a handy player to have around, able to keep the play moving well and giving a good defensive cover.

I think Fletch will do well with LVG as well, especially in this set up. Although some don't think he tackles enough I've always seen his defensive game being about taking up good positions to press the opposition and either force them back or force them wide where it's harder to get in a good ball. Unfortunately the problem with this is that if other players aren't in the right areas it can fall down, but I think the team will be set up better and his approach will work well.

I'd still like us to bring in another peak box to box player but Fletch, providing he can stay fit, might surprise a few on here I think.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Herrera was obviously asked to do more than play the easy ball (nothing wrong with that by the way). So his job was more challenging than Fletchers and when you try more difficult balls/runs and they don't come off then obviously it reflects on how your game is perceived by fans and alike.

Anyway, surely even you and I can agree that if Fletcher offers another option in CM this season then that can only be a positive for OUR team?
Absolutely. And I'll consider the fact you're even thinking this a remote possibility as progress!

redevil2

I think Van Gaal is the right guy for him. There is no sentimental there that Ferguson and Moyes would have showed him due to his health problems.

Reports of Van Gaal pushing him and making him do more running.
Moyes wouldn't be able to appreciate how good Fletch is even he never had health issue.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
He was good this preseason and I agree with people saying he’s a very good option as a squad player. However, IF we don’t bring another defensive minded midfielder, we will have to rely on him, not only because he’s the best we’ve got in this role, but also because there is nobody else.

Unfortunately, I doubt if he is good enough to play in the EPL on regular basis and we’re asking too much from him, but hopefully I’m wrong.

BW.k

It was good to see him play so well against Inter. Hope he gets back to his best. I reckon he'll play a different role than what he previously did. I expect to become more of a deep lying playmaker controlling the game rather than someone who'd provide energy and steal.

Also delighted seeing him score the winning penalty.

Sam

Best I've seen him play since his pomp back in 09/10.

Very very encouraging.

Godfather

What a great half from him. Brilliant pre season from our Fletch so far. Just brilliant

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
I'm not getting my hopes up yet. But what a story it would be if he got back to his best. It really would be like a new signing

Shimo

Definitely enjoying seeing him play this well - it's pre-season but, can't help feeling encouraged.

Winrar

I know this is a cliche and a bit too early... but he's been like a new signing so far.

Anderson18

Looked so much quicker and his passing is top notch. He could be the new signing we've been talking about ages.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Captain, leader, legend.

I've said it before, I'll say it again. Between 2008 and 2010 there weren't many midfielders in the Premier League capable of going toe to toe with Fletch. We're set if Fletcher gets back to being the man who stomped all over Milan's midfield in the last 16 of 2010 Champions League. Positive signs so far on this tour.

Fletcher could prove to be as much of a 'new signing' as Scholesy was in 2006/07 if he keeps up this form.

Status
Not open for further replies.