Darren Fletcher back as club ambassador

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Darren Fletcher is the latest former teammate of Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to rejoin Manchester United.

Fletcher, 36, has taken on an informal ambassadorial role at the club, having left United in 2015 to join West Bromwich Albion. Fletcher was released by Stoke City after a two-year spell in the summer and has all but announced his retirement from professional football.

The MEN understands Fletcher has not taken on a coaching role at United, despite sporting a training top in a club video last week thanking the National Health Service. United have not formally announced Fletcher's position at the club.

Fletcher has been in attendance for a number of United matches this season and juggled his ad hoc club role with media commitments. Fletcher has done punditry work for the BBC, Sky Sports, and beinSport over the last year.

The MEN reported last year Fletcher was in line for a return to United as part of the club's restructure and had attended a high-profile meeting at Old Trafford. Senior United sources stressed the need for prospective employees to 'buy into the culture' of the club and Fletcher spent 12 years in the first-team at Old Trafford.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Gives no info on what this supposed role involves nor does it even mention the role he's currently been doing coaching with West Brom's academy. Top quality journalism.

cyril C

Do you know how much are we paying these ambassadors? First class ticket and all expense paid on overseas trips are given, do they get wages?

RUCK4444

A great lad is Fletcher. He is good to have around, knows the club and what is expected from its players.

Not sure what his role is but can’t help but think he would be a good influence for younger players to have around.

I often think it would be beneficial to have a lesser coaching position created for the likes of Fletcher and say Rio / Evra etc just so they can continually impart their influence and set the tone for everyone in the squad.

I know that a manager is responsible for that but I just think it would help, much like having good characters in the dressing room.

NorLogs

If I had a pound for every "club ambassador" you lot have, I'd be a rich man!
If I had a pound for every pound Abramovich has, I could probably get myself a title winning team in a few years time.