Darren Fletcher - First team coach

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Isn't it a bit odd he hasn't been on the bench with the rest of the coaches so far?

Falcow

Pogba was making more defensive actions than Fred and most of our CMs last season too
Pogba has been great recently and long may it continue. However last season (when he did play, which wasnt very often, I haven't forgotten him going against club advice to have that op just so he would be fit in time for the Euros) his defensive highlights included using his hands instead of his face to block the ball, giving away penalties, losing the ball countless times in midfield leading to shots on our goal some of which resulted in goals.

To say he was better defensively last season than our other midfielders is quite frankly nonsense. He was shite defensively.

Anyway I dont want to derail the fletcher thread but I couldnt let that go.

POF

Its good to see ex-utd players coming back into the club. Shame we dont have more in other departments i.e. scouting or DoF etc. Fergie always back then admired the likes of Bayern and Milan etc who bought ex players back into the infrastructure of the club. As they knew the standards that were required, were winners and gad the right mentality. He wanted that for Utd when he retired. Glad it slowly seems to be happening. I would still like to see an ex-utd defender come in and do specific coaching with our defenders someone like Rio Ferdinand.

Does anyone know who specifically worked with Cristano when he was at Utd to help him improve his finishing? I know other than fergie (who taught him about changing his stride pattern as he got closer to the goal, to give himself that extra split second to decide where to place the ball). Phelan was involved or was it muelensteen who did all the mental work with Ronaldo. Breaking the goal down into sections numbered 1 to 8. The visualisation techniques etc.

I ask as im wondering why his isnt being done with our current young forwards, or is it?
Are you serious?

The improvement in Rashford, Martial and Greenwood under Ole has been outstanding.

dinostar77

Are you serious?

The improvement in Rashford, Martial and Greenwood under Ole has been outstanding.
Yes i am. Maybe i havent noticed it. Ronaldos stuff was extra he asked for after regular training. My question wasnt worded right. Are the forwards doing extra training with the coaches above and beyond the regular stuff like ronaldo used to do?

I could add Zlatan as well who often stayed behind and did extra training when Mourinho was in charge.

POF

Fletcher knows Pogba well and pretty much sees Pogba as a forward, from previous comments. Wondered if he has had input into Pogba being wider in the last few games.
Of course not. He's been there 5 minutes. He won't be picking the team.

Pogba has been used out wide lots of times this season. He's being used there more often now because he's playing better.

I also don't think Fletcher has had anything to do with Pogba's resurgence in form. It's no coincidence that Pogba's improved performances have directly followed the announcement that he wants to leave.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Pogba has been great recently and long may it continue. However last season (when he did play, which wasnt very often, I haven't forgotten him going against club advice to have that op just so he would be fit in time for the Euros) his defensive highlights included using his hands instead of his face to block the ball, giving away penalties, losing the ball countless times in midfield leading to shots on our goal some of which resulted in goals.

To say he was better defensively last season than our other midfielders is quite frankly nonsense. He was shite defensively.

Anyway I dont want to derail the fletcher thread but I couldnt let that go.
I said he was making more defensive actions which is a statistical fact and no different to what has been reference in 18 days since Fletcher has been there as the report said.

Not saying he hasn't made any difference but what the article referenced as evidence isnt evidence since it was the same before.

And its a bit silly to reference a few incidents like the handball and not reference the mistakes of the other midfielders.

Thats not even me saying he was great defensively last season, he wasnt. He was however making more defensive actions (recoveries defensive headers etc than the rest)

Or maybe you forgot Ole refused to play McTominnay or Fred in last seasons run in

What is clearly shows is that a DM should still be a top priority

Falcow

I said he was making more defensive actions which is a statistical fact and no different to what has been reference in 18 days since Fletcher has been there as the report said.

Not saying he hasn't made any difference but what the article referenced as evidence isnt evidence since it was the same before.

And its a bit silly to reference a few incidents like the handball and not reference the mistakes of the other midfielders.

Thats not even me saying he was great defensively last season, he wasnt. He was however making more defensive actions (recoveries defensive headers etc than the rest)

Or maybe you forgot Ole refused to play McTominnay or Fred in last seasons run in

What is clearly shows is that a DM should still be a top priority
Is it a statistical fact due to the fact fred and mctominay weren't playing during that period as you mentioned? It would be easy to make the most defensive actions as a midfielder when you were the only midfielder.

Anyway, I hope Pogba can stay injury free and continue playing like he has been recently. There is no reason why he shouldnt be scoring as many goals as say Lampard used to do for Chelsea so fingers crossed he can do that.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Is it a statistical fact due to the fact fred and mctominay weren't playing during that period as you mentioned? It would be easy to make the most defensive actions as a midfielder when you were the only midfielder.

Anyway, I hope Pogba can stay injury free and continue playing like he has been recently. There is no reason why he shouldnt be scoring as many goals as say Lampard used to do for Chelsea so fingers crossed he can do that.
No regarding your first question

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
No idea how good he is - but I like him.

If this had been announced last year, I'm sure this thread would've been a hundred pages long.

For what it's worth (which is only slightly north of zero), he's always struck me as a pretty sound person.