Darren Fletcher - First team coach

lysglimt

Scout
It's about time they brought some Flair to the club.

All jokes aside I really like Fletcher, think he's the perfect type personality to be a coach. Calm, level headed and thoughtful but also knows what it requires to be a winner.

The way he battled on through his ilness to have a great end to his career was very impressive. Will be interesting to see what his role is.
McNair or McClair is pretty close to flair - will that do ?

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Let's get Anderson, Hargreaves and Scholes in too. Get the band back together.
Are we 'on a mission from God'? (film ref)

Happy with this - could be a very good appointment.

Has United at heart (I know that doesn't auto-equate to a good coach but nice to have), comes across as considered when on TV and can hopefully pass on his experience at positioning, reading play and when to hold/when to go.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Dare I say it, always had 'coach' material vibes about him. Wish him all the best.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Still waiting for Rio to come in and fix the defense.
Whether it's Rio or ANOther, I'd like that. Individually, they seem ok (average to good to great, different games) but not sure as a unit (though recently a bit better) - seem to get dragged out of shape at times.

Rio was great at (among other things) organising the defence, holding the line, shouting instructions... would like to see Maguire a bit more vocal.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Seems we are taking the Bayern Munich approach and I don't mind it one bit.

You'd expect the next one to be a legend defender, but none of our past players really strike me as the type.

Chairman Steve

Didn’t expect that especially at this point in the season. Does that mean someone from the current setup is leaving? Is Phelan moving to a more upstairs role?

Good luck to him.

Now unleash all the trite of “true football man“, “bleeds the club”, “top human being”, “Utd DNA”!

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Fantastic to see. I am absolutely clueless in terms what he can bring to the table from a coaching/tactics point of view - but he knows the club inside out and will no doubt inject the necessary "United DNA" into the mindset of those who may still need a boost of it.

It may be a lazy statement - but I'm looking forward to see him working with McTominay.

On a slightly different note - I'm eagerly awaiting a defensive addition to the coaching team. Ferdinand or Vidic would be absolutely perfect. It just feels we have a poacher pro in Ole and midfield maestros in Fletcher and Carrick. Just need a bit of an experience head from a defensive point of view behind the scenes. Would no doubt explain why arguably our "weakest" area is still our defensive set up.

Great news this, let the haters rejoice.
overwhelmingly positive response, which has surprised me.

perhaps the haters have made New Years resolutions, or maybe they aren’t up yet!

good news, and whilst it was frustrating he had to go and play elsewhere after his illness, I think those years, and those different experiences will really help.

given all you have to do to be a coach at United is put out some cones - I’m sure he will do fine
:D

kkengvib

He's the one ex-player I thought would turn out to be a good coach/manager. Felt he always came across as knowledgeable and seems like he would be a good man manager of players from his comments regarding SAF, Roy Keane, etc. Glad to see him back.

spiriticon

I love the fact that the old boys are coming back to help out but we need at least one coach of the Quieroz/Meulensteen pedigree to guide them along.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
No qualms about this at all, well done to him.

Polar

Great news. Another coach who understands the culture of the club and can contribute the development of our players
Agree. Think it’s a very important aspect, who someone seem to forget. Off course we could bring in someone from the outside and have some luck.

Don’t know why people complain and call it nepotism.This is the rule more than the exception among the greatest clubs in the world, but also if we have a look at many great companies.

Why recruit someone from the outside if we have a very good candidates within our own ranks?

Fletcher is likely one of the best candidates, and he is definitely the safest one.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Are we the only club with the most first team coaches? I have a feeling one of ours will leave searching for new challenge end of this season.
City have seven, Chelsea have at least eight, Liverpool have loads listed on their site but their website is a mess so not going to click on 20 odd links to determine who works where.

Trequarista10

Absolutely love Darren Fletcher, hope he can have a positive influence as a coach.

I wonder if anyone is leaving the coaching staff? Phelan seems to have taken a back seat more recently, and doesn't he have another job as well in Australia?

Mike Phelan's Former Tash

Good news.

I love how the press didn't have a sniff of this. Again shows they know feck all what goes on and most of what is written is garbage.

wolvored

I don't want to pour cold water on this but we have turned into an old boys nursery to learn coaching. Surely we should be looking at experienced wc coaches. Were Manchester Utd not Macclesfield. Sounds like another glazernomics to do things on the cheap, this is not a hate on Fletcher either

Mr.Kaya

I don't want to pour cold water on this but we have turned into an old boys nursery to learn coaching. Surely we should be looking at experienced wc coaches. Were Manchester Utd not Macclesfield. Sounds like another glazernomics to do things on the cheap
Have you already forgot who we had as managers before Ole got appointed? And how did that go exactly? Silly comment!

Ole's screen

Supports
KC Chiefs
I don't want to pour cold water on this but we have turned into an old boys nursery to learn coaching. Surely we should be looking at experienced wc coaches. Were Manchester Utd not Macclesfield. Sounds like another glazernomics to do things on the cheap
Really? You think some no name background coach would be more expensive than Darren Fletcher?

Falcow

Great news. I'm a big fan of Fletcher and I hope he does very well.

Rustyspider13

Love Fletcher. Have no idea how he'll perform, but I can't help being delighted at this news.

youngrell

City have seven, Chelsea have at least eight, Liverpool have loads listed on their site but their website is a mess so not going to click on 20 odd links to determine who works where.
I've always thought we were a little thin on the ground with coaches compared to years gone by.

YAMS49

overwhelmingly positive response, which has surprised me.

perhaps the haters have made New Years resolutions, or maybe they aren’t up yet!

good news, and whilst it was frustrating he had to go and play elsewhere after his illness, I think those years, and those different experiences will really help.

given all you have to do to be a coach at United is put out some cones - I’m sure he will do fine
:D
Quite, those cones don't move themselves after all.