Darren Fletcher - First team coach

Denis' cuff

If I’d been Fergies love child, I reckon idve had a great career despite being an average player who had 2 decent seasons and now... would you believe, has been gifted a coaching career, despite qualifications that make Ole look like Rinus Michels.

hope he does well, though (and we did actually miss him in the CL final - a bit, anyway)

GMoore23

If I’d been Fergies love child, I reckon idve had a great career despite being an average player who had 2 decent seasons and now... would you believe, has been gifted a coaching career, despite qualifications that make Ole look like Rinus Michels.

hope he does well, though (and we did actually miss him in the CL final - a bit, anyway)
Average player who was in the Premier League team of the season just before a bout of illness ruined his prime.
Get a grip.

KW2006

My second fav united player after Scholes. Think he will have a good career in coaching.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Hiring ex-players as coaches is fine. ALthough I wish we don't hire close to zero experience coach, who's still learning his trade. In his 20+ years in charge, SAF rarely used ex-players on his coaching staff.

Loon

:lol:
Trying to establish a boot room like Liverpool in days of yore with a not so subtle hint of Ferguson?

Fletcher seems like an intelligent guy with a good understanding of the game when he works as a pundit, hope that translates into a solid coaching career.

U.N.C.L.E

Fletcher came through the ranks of Manchester United's Youth Academy and spent 20 years with United, making 342 appearances for the club. With them, he won five Premier Leagues, one FA Cup, two League Cups, the UEFA Champions League, four FA Community Shields and the FIFA Club World Cup. Fletcher was included in the PFA Premier League Team of the Year for 2009–10.

With respect, you, good sir, are talking out of your hat.

Denis' cuff

Fletcher came through the ranks of Manchester United's Youth Academy and spent 20 years with United, making 342 appearances for the club. With them, he won five Premier Leagues, one FA Cup, two League Cups, the UEFA Champions League, four FA Community Shields and the FIFA Club World Cup. Fletcher was included in the PFA Premier League Team of the Year for 2009–10.

With respect, you, good sir, are talking out of your hat.
Fergie made sure of all that but thanks for the history lesson, sir. That’s why I said he was a lucky boy.

zizou81

Well Im looking at our league position and Im looking at where we were last season and now and the thing thats clear is there has been improvement. You dont mention McKenna who is now starting to gather in the miles and even though he is young has been doing all the necessary work etc. Its the trajectory that I am looking at right now and its mostly upwards. Where we are right now for me indicates they deserve more time. They have been trying to turn around a big slow moving ship, it doesnt happen overnight.
I dont deny they have potential, and hope they prove me wrong, but at earlier parts of the season the coaching staff have shown their inexperience. Players not learning, defensive positioning etc, all points to poor coaching.

More time is not something we have the luxury of. We needed a better coaching staff yesterday. Why are we hiring for people to learn on the job. They should know exactly what needs to be done.

If we had better and more experienced coaching, we should still be in the champions league with this squad.

Plymouth Red

I dont deny they have potential, and hope they prove me wrong, but at earlier parts of the season the coaching staff have shown their inexperience. Players not learning, defensive positioning etc, all points to poor coaching.

More time is not something we have the luxury of. We needed a better coaching staff yesterday. Why are we hiring for people to learn on the job. They should know exactly what needs to be done.

If we had better and more experienced coaching, we should still be in the champions league with this squad.
I think you are being unfair and ignoring what's actually happening in the league.

I've had my doubts about our coaching and have voiced them here, but there's no denying we are the current form team in the PL.

Over the past 10 games, we're the only team unbeaten and we have taken 26 points out of 30. That's 5 more than City and 9 more than Liverpool. We're also top scorers and only Liverpool have a better GD by 1 goal.

Here's the full table

https://thefishy.co.uk/formtable.php?table=1

There's no doubt the players have put us in this position on the pitch, but the coaching team will have played their part too. Why would we therefore want to change that team wholesale now?

I support Fletcher's appointment and it's hard to see why or how Fletcher would make changes to our detriment. I see him only adding value progressively.

It may all fall on its ass by the end of the season. We may lose another semi-final. Who knows?

Currently, though, we have more to smile about than most and definitely more than we expected, if we are truthful. Long may it continue.

Beaucoup

Well Im looking at our league position and Im looking at where we were last season and now and the thing thats clear is there has been improvement. You dont mention McKenna who is now starting to gather in the miles and even though he is young has been doing all the necessary work etc. Its the trajectory that I am looking at right now and its mostly upwards. Where we are right now for me indicates they deserve more time. They have been trying to turn around a big slow moving ship, it doesnt happen overnight.
Let's not start getting too carried away, the improvement over this time last year is down to having Bruno from the start of the season.

Plymouth Red

Let's not start getting too carried away, the improvement over this time last year is down to having Bruno from the start of the season.
As opposed to Werner, I guess?

But you're right, let's be cautious. How many more points do you think we need to be safe from relegation?

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Its not just down to that, there are patterns of play appearing that werent there before. For example we have started underlapping in attack which we definitely havent done before. There are improvements in defending which isnt Brunos doing. We are improving al across the park.

Shiva87

Don’t understand the hate or skepticism from some posters here. I guess they would have been happier appointing an unknown person from a Spanish club, than appointing one of our homegrown players. It’s how it goes.

I for one am happy for Fletch to get this chance. He is also replacing a goalkeeping coach in the setup so that can only be a good thing (we had too many of them).

Ole may be surrounding himself with so called “old pals”. But if there is anything I know about that group from watching them play was that they werefiercely competitive with each other. No one is a “yes man”. This appointment will only bring one more strong personality into the discussion

Acole9

Outstanding
Don’t understand the hate or skepticism from some posters here. I guess they would have been happier appointing an unknown person from a Spanish club, than appointing one of our homegrown players. It’s how it goes.

I for one am happy for Fletch to get this chance. He is also replacing a goalkeeping coach in the setup so that can only be a good thing (we had too many of them).

Ole may be surrounding himself with so called “old pals”. But if there is anything I know about that group from watching them play was that they werefiercely competitive with each other. No one is a “yes man”. This appointment will only bring one more strong personality into the discussion
He's replaced Mark Dempsey who has moved to the academy. He was a midfielder in his playing days not a goalkeeper.

Shiva87

He's replaced Mark Dempsey who has moved to the academy. He was a midfielder in his playing days not a goalkeeper.
Oh, my bad. I didn't know this was for Dempsey and heard somewhere that this was for a GK coach. Assumed that was logical.

Even if it's for Dempsey, it's not like it's for someone as integral as Carlos Queiroz was to SAF. Dempsey also didn't have a stellar CV so in the worst case it's a like for like change.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
McKenna is now an experienced coach, supposed to be one of the best of his age. Is he much less experienced than Ljinders who replaced Buvac at Liverpool? He must be more experienced than Toure at Leicester, at least. If other clubs in the League got McKenna who was great at Tottenham and United youth and had 3 years first team at United, they’d be happy with that.

Phelan is very experienced and so maybe there’s room for a new, less experienced coach. Fletcher isn't going to be messing around, is he? If you look at United’s coaching set up it’s probably got a lot more in it than Chelsea’s has.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It doesn’t make much sense to question whether that person has the knowledge when they’ve been a professional in their field at the highest level throughout their career. It doesn’t make much sense to question whether they have the personality to coach when you don’t know them and they have been hired to coach but people who know them extremely well. Just my opinion though.
It doesn't make sense either way. Yet you have many saying "fanatastic addition" and applauding it. Thing is, we really don't know. I hope hes a good as he was mentality and tactics wise a brilliant player. But remains to be seen how that would translate to coaching. As people have mentioned, being a good footballer doesn't make you a good football teacher. Pele would probably make a shit coach as would Messi. As did Maradona.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
So many ex United players.

Ole, Carrick, Phil Neville and now Fletcher.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
I knew this would boil a few people's piss.

Excellent
When it happens at other clubs eg Bayern M, then it's great organisation and how a club should be run. Happens here; we don't know what we're doing! Old boys network etc

romufc

When it happens at other clubs eg Bayern M, then it's great organisation and how a club should be run. Happens here; we don't know what we're doing! Old boys network etc
Exactly.

We hire Phelan... outdated tactics, dinosaur.

Hire an ex player with new ideas - Inexperienced, why hire ex player?

These guys have a winning mentality, Fletcher retired and went and done his coaching badges took some time out, watched football, done a bit of punditry. So its not like these guys are clueless, they clearly have some sort of qualifications.

When building a team, you see faces that have won stuff for the club, they will bring the work ethic that is required.

Pep hired Arteta as his number 2 but because he is spanish and its Pep its a genius move.

RashyForPM

Fergie made sure of all that but thanks for the history lesson, sir. That’s why I said he was a lucky boy.
Fergie made sure he played so well that he was one of the best midfielders of the 2009-10 season so got in the team of the season? So he had nothing to do with it? Why didn’t we win the league that season and every United player get in then?

You’re talking shit.

Grande

If you think our improvement over last year is down to quality coaching, never mind being naive, you're in cloud cuckoo land. Look at the stats
What does the stats say? Points, goals, xG - most show a big bump around the time Bruno came, so he definitively has had a Cantona effect on our fairly young team.

What more does the stats say? Actually, they show that we were already on a gradual improvement course before he came, and have continued to improve after the initial bump. Fergie and Eric worked synergically. Even Maradona and Bilardo did too. One Bruno does not a summer make, etc

Btw, you seem to know a bit from the youth depts. Have you an inkling of Fletcher was regarded there in his work with the U16?

Denis' cuff

I recall how much we missed Fletcher when he couldn't play in the final against Barca.

Top professional and clever player.
oh, totally agree with that. He was definitely Fergies special project though and was indulged for years before it clicked for him. Most match going fans at the time we’re wondering wtf he was doing in the team when players like Rossi werent given a chance. Not one of the legendary no.7s. Not saying he didn’t eventually become a dcent player in his late 20s but up he pops again from nowhere, thanks to a certain legendary managers influence, yet people question Ole’s position, even though he had at least some experience. He’’ll probably do ok. Fergie running the show behind the scenes - knows a thing or two.

Last edited:

Denis' cuff

Fergie made sure he played so well that he was one of the best midfielders of the 2009-10 season so got in the team of the season? So he had nothing to do with it? Why didn’t we win the league that season and every United player get in then?

You’re talking shit.
clueless. you were probably a baby when Dazzler was causing groans around the ground.

bsCallout

Ole is an awful manager because he needed Bruno to come in, he's as bad as SAF who needed Cantona to come in, or Klopp who needed VVD & Allison, or Pep who needed Kompany & Aguero to stay fit, or Mourinho who needs Kane . . .

& also Fletcher was never a good player, Fergie just sprinkled his magic dust on him and he played well and won things.

Fluctuation0161

oh, totally agree with that. He was definitely Fergies special project though and was indulged for years before it clicked for him. Most match going fans at the time we’re wondering wtf he was doing in the team when players like Rossi werent given a chance. Not one of the legendary no.7s. Not saying he didn’t eventually become a dcent player in his late 20s but up he pops again from nowhere, thanks to a certain legendary managers influence, yet people question Ole’s position, even though he had at least some experience. He’’ll probably do ok. Fergie running the show behind the scenes - knows a thing or two.
I don't believe Fergie is running things behind the scenes. Although I'm sure he is always only a phone call away if needed.

Fletcher was definitely Fergies lovechild. But what an amazing lovechild. :lol: