Darren Fletcher - First team coach

Beaucoup

What does the stats say? Points, goals, xG - most show a big bump around the time Bruno came, so he definitively has had a Cantona effect on our fairly young team.

What more does the stats say? Actually, they show that we were already on a gradual improvement course before he came, and have continued to improve after the initial bump. Fergie and Eric worked synergically. Even Maradona and Bilardo did too. One Bruno does not a summer make, etc

Btw, you seem to know a bit from the youth depts. Have you an inkling of Fletcher was regarded there in his work with the U16?
Regarding Fletcher it was hard to say, he didn't usually take the sessions, he was usually the right hand man to Mark Dempsey. More a case of giving out individual advice rather than coaching the whole group.

RashyForPM

clueless. you were probably a baby when Dazzler was causing groans around the ground.
:lol: You’re actually normally pretty logical, so why have you decided to come into this thread to wum like a little idiot? You were probably one of those who wanted Ronaldo sold after two seasons and Martial and Rashford gone during Mourinho’s time.

RashyForPM

Lucky boy. Then got unlucky.

I’ve got a grip alright pal. Try it.
Oh and before you come back to my previous post, let’s take a look at this. You just called Fletch lucky to get into a team of the season. Honestly, how do you get lucky to get into a team of the season when it means you’ve played better than about 70 colleagues in the same position? Are you saying he was only there because Fergie played him? Well, Fergie was clearly vindicated considering he got in the team of the season and the season before, 2008-09, had a fantastic season to the point where he would have been the first name on the team sheet in CL final against Barca. Then, of course, that sad illness came and took away a large chunk of his prime when he was just about hitting it.

Again, you’re either wumming or you hate Fletcher. Take your pic. Both would be as stupid as the other.

GoldTrafford99

If you think our improvement over last year is down to quality coaching, never mind being naive, you're in cloud cuckoo land. Look at the stats

I believe our improvement comes down to much, much more than coaching... and much, much more than recruitment. Both areas fall under the responsibilities of the manager - both of which he has done fantastically well at. But you know what I think is more important than both the coaching and the recruitment? The mentality shift. The massive shift from a dressing-room who hated their manager and who were all falling out with each other to a dressing-room that now all root for each other and who are clearly in it together.

The mentality shift? Well, yeah, that comes under the responsibilities of the manager, too.

All in all - if anyone should get any praise for Manchester United's turn around (and hell, somebody should get a fecking truck load of praise for it given the mess our club had turned into), it should be one Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.

He is doing a stellar job in almost every department.

My favourite department hasn't even been mention above, but that is evolving the academy. And Ole is doing a 10/10 job there. The academy is chockfull of the best young talent from around the world - moreso than it has ever been. But, of course, we won't see the fruits of that for some time. (I am an ex-football journalist who used to cover the academy - it was always great under Fergie.. But Ole has evolved it from being almost neglected post 2013 into the greatest bunch of underage players anywhere on the planet. And that I am happy to be quoted on that, subjective as it is.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
It's all great that we're having retired players as coaches, I'm sure it helps to lift the spirit, but we could really use a coach who can teach us how to move the ball like City does under pressure.

Crashoutcassius

It's all great that we're having retired players as coaches, I'm sure it helps to lift the spirit, but we could really use a coach who can teach us how to move the ball like City does under pressure.
I don't think that's realistic tbh, pep is the greatest of all time at it, city have sacrificed their entire club identity and pumped 2-3bn to copy barcelona's approach, it has taken a lot of things to go right to get them there and they still can't do it with any consistency

Foxbatt

Should we have got Eddie Howe as a coach instead of someone like Fletcher?

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Does Fletcher have coaching experience?
I have no issues with Fletcher UNLESS he has been brought in not because of his CV, but because he is "one of the boys".

sunama

Baghdad Bob
This just confirms Ole has got full backing from the board and he is here to stay. I don't mind it to be honest.
Well, we are currently joint top of the league, so I'm not surprised that the board are backing him.

Foxbatt

The most overrated manager of all time, wouldn't want him anywhere near us.
It's not his managerial aspects we need. His teams play good football. As a coach he certainly is much better than Fletcher.

macheda14

What does Darren Fletcher even do, he was anonymous today on the bench! ............heh

JB7

It's not his managerial aspects we need. His teams play good football. As a coach he certainly is much better than Fletcher.
Based on what exactly? You have no idea on the merits of Darren Fletcher and we have all seen Eddie Howe produce teams that are far weaker than the sum of their parts over 2/3 years in the Premier League.

Foxbatt

Based on what exactly? You have no idea on the merits of Darren Fletcher and we have all seen Eddie Howe produce teams that are far weaker than the sum of their parts over 2/3 years in the Premier League.
I have seen that Eddie Howe is better than Fletcher for sure in coaching.

Varun1

I believe our improvement comes down to much, much more than coaching... and much, much more than recruitment. Both areas fall under the responsibilities of the manager - both of which he has done fantastically well at. But you know what I think is more important than both the coaching and the recruitment? The mentality shift. The massive shift from a dressing-room who hated their manager and who were all falling out with each other to a dressing-room that now all root for each other and who are clearly in it together.

The mentality shift? Well, yeah, that comes under the responsibilities of the manager, too.

All in all - if anyone should get any praise for Manchester United's turn around (and hell, somebody should get a fecking truck load of praise for it given the mess our club had turned into), it should be one Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.

He is doing a stellar job in almost every department.

My favourite department hasn't even been mention above, but that is evolving the academy. And Ole is doing a 10/10 job there. The academy is chockfull of the best young talent from around the world - moreso than it has ever been. But, of course, we won't see the fruits of that for some time. (I am an ex-football journalist who used to cover the academy - it was always great under Fergie.. But Ole has evolved it from being almost neglected post 2013 into the greatest bunch of underage players anywhere on the planet. And that I am happy to be quoted on that, subjective as it is.
Calm down, the academy doesn't fall under Ole.

Also, the bolded part is a strange thing to credit Ole with: So he made the players suddenly like their manager? It wasn't Ed who recognised the issue and sacked Jose to then appoint someone more likeable?
I seem to remember one fall out which included Alexis I think, can't remember the players falling out with each other, but I could be wrong.

Anyway, this thread is about Fletcher so I'll refrain from discussing Ole.

Last edited:

dave1956

For what its worth press reports say that he has been coaching the youth teams below 21 level since October in order to gain his coaching qualifications.

Mainoldo

For what its worth press reports say that he has been coaching the youth teams below 21 level since October in order to gain his coaching qualifications.
Yeah I heard that too. Quite common. I’m sure Evra was another recent one.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
He'll bring this 3 month experience to our coaching setup. So exciting.

berbasloth4

might sound a little silly im happy fletcher is in and think he will be brilliant however our defence is very soft defenders alway injured because they got a kick etc. a romantic story would be vidic or rio or stam come in but truly believe it would be brilliant to get john terry in as a coach. he has villas defence playing well. he would teach our defenders to stop being pansie and he is a boyhood united fan too.

peridigm

might sound a little silly im happy fletcher is in and think he will be brilliant however our defence is very soft defenders alway injured because they got a kick etc. a romantic story would be vidic or rio or stam come in but truly believe it would be brilliant to get john terry in as a coach. he has villas defence playing well. he would teach our defenders to stop being pansie and he is a boyhood united fan too.
It’s sounds a lot silly.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
How do you know that Villa's defense is down to John Terry?

Polar

Let's not start getting too carried away, the improvement over this time last year is down to having Bruno from the start of the season.
Bruno is very important to United, no doubt. His importance is probably comparable to Kane’s importance forTottenham and how important Salah was to Liverpool in the beginning. Nothing wrong about that.

To credit Bruno for all improvements is an exaggeration and unfair against other players and the coaching team.

JB7

Because he has been coaching for a while and his team even beat Liverpool. Now where did Fletcher's team beat any PL team?
So you've seen the results of one persons management but not the other, so can definitively say that one is better at being a coach (not a manager) than the other. Great argument.

Plymouth Red

There some press comment today that Fletcher has been very involved in the upturn in Pogba's performances. According to The Sun, Pogba has made more recoveries than any of his midfield team-mates, delivered more passes and made as many tackles as Fred since Fletcher was unveiled as a first-team coach 18 days ago. The paper also claims Fletcher's appointment has been well received by the players generally.

It's not the most important piece of news about the team currently but if Fletcher has somehow raised Pogba's game and he can sustain it, over the second half of the season, it could be hugely significant for us.

RuudTom83

The more positive stories around the club the better...beats the doom and gloom any day.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Fletcher knows Pogba well and pretty much sees Pogba as a forward, from previous comments. Wondered if he has had input into Pogba being wider in the last few games.

romufc

As long as they can get us playing good football and winning football matches, I do not care how much experience a coach has.

Its good to see that the players have taken to him, it brings fresh ideas. I have seen Fletcher as a pundit, he clearly watches alot of United games so he knows what is going on.

dinostar77

Its good to see ex-utd players coming back into the club. Shame we dont have more in other departments i.e. scouting or DoF etc. Fergie always back then admired the likes of Bayern and Milan etc who bought ex players back into the infrastructure of the club. As they knew the standards that were required, were winners and gad the right mentality. He wanted that for Utd when he retired. Glad it slowly seems to be happening. I would still like to see an ex-utd defender come in and do specific coaching with our defenders someone like Rio Ferdinand.

Does anyone know who specifically worked with Cristano when he was at Utd to help him improve his finishing? I know other than fergie (who taught him about changing his stride pattern as he got closer to the goal, to give himself that extra split second to decide where to place the ball). Phelan was involved or was it muelensteen who did all the mental work with Ronaldo. Breaking the goal down into sections numbered 1 to 8. The visualisation techniques etc.

I ask as im wondering why his isnt being done with our current young forwards, or is it?

Ludens the Red

There some press comment today that Fletcher has been very involved in the upturn in Pogba's performances. According to The Sun, Pogba has made more recoveries than any of his midfield team-mates, delivered more passes and made as many tackles as Fred since Fletcher was unveiled as a first-team coach 18 days ago. The paper also claims Fletcher's appointment has been well received by the players generally.

It's not the most important piece of news about the team currently but if Fletcher has somehow raised Pogba's game and he can sustain it, over the second half of the season, it could be hugely significant for us.
So what you’re saying is sack Ole, hire Fletcher?

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Its good to see ex-utd players coming back into the club. Shame we dont have more in other departments i.e. scouting or DoF etc. Fergie always back then admired the likes of Bayern and Milan etc who bought ex players back into the infrastructure of the club. As they knew the standards that were required, were winners and gad the right mentality. He wanted that for Utd when he retired. Glad it slowly seems to be happening. I would still like to see an ex-utd defender come in and do specific coaching with our defenders someone like Rio Ferdinand.

Does anyone know who specifically worked with Cristano when he was at Utd to help him improve his finishing? I know other than fergie (who taught him about changing his stride pattern as he got closer to the goal, to give himself that extra split second to decide where to place the ball). Phelan was involved or was it muelensteen who did all the mental work with Ronaldo. Breaking the goal down into sections numbered 1 to 8. The visualisation techniques etc.

I ask as im wondering why his isnt being done with our current young forwards, or is it?
Watch it! You will be accused of being Nepotism FC by the caftards.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
I think Fletcher is our wildcard. I would only repeat myself if I said he always came out as very knowledgable and insightful in interviews and his desease similarly to Ole's injuries was a good time to analyse the game. He's also a hardworker and hardworking defensive players usually tend to focus on refining the defensive play too.

So if he could come out as someone like Guardiola or Pochettino instilling some grit and better pressing game which I see our biggest weakness right now we could really be serious title contender every year again. Perhaps like people mention he can work with Pogba better on hisweaknesses, same way Carrick works with Scott.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

Pogba was making more defensive actions than Fred and most of our CMs last season too