Darren Fletcher the pundit

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Refreshing to hear although he's talking some bollocks regarding knowing since day 1 that Ronaldo would be the best player in the world and Rooney would end up United's all time top scorer.

Utdstar01

Refreshing to hear although he's talking some bollocks regarding knowing since day 1 that Ronaldo would be the best player in the world and Rooney would end up United's all time top scorer.
Not what he said though. He said Ronaldo wanted to be the best player in the world.

Web of Bissaka

Darren Fletcher said:
“The first time I spent out with my illness I did a spell coaching the reserve team when it included Pogba, [Jesse] Lingard, [Ravel] Morrison and we played him higher up the pitch in attacking areas," Fletcher said on Sky Sports .

“We felt like he was the one who would win us game, coupled with the fact he was ill-disciplined in the middle of the park.

“It goes back to a famous game when we felt like he left off the back of against Blackburn.

“Paul was on the bench and the boss picked Park Ji-Sung and Phil Jones in midfield. We didn’t think he was disciplined enough for the reserve team, never mind the first team at that time.”

https://www.goal.com/en/news/Pogba-...or-man-utd-reserves/i286qh89p73a1r0avpqwfczpf
Interesting, there is some justification then why SAF didn't picked him for certain games at that time. Not like SAF didn't play him at all -- Pogba did played some games. Then, he was so impatient and his agent plot and engineered escape plan.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Interesting comments re Martial,Rashford and Sanchez.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Interesting, there is some justification then why SAF didn't picked him for certain games at that time. Not like SAF didn't play him at all -- Pogba did played some games. Then, he was so impatient and his agent plot and engineered escape plan.
SAF was the best, and known to be the best in the business at knowing when youngster were ready to be trusted as starters in the first-team yet still got dogs abuse from certain sections of the fan base oblivious to what was happening with Pogba in the Reserves at the time.

Just trying to imagine the grief Mourinho would have got if he'd been the Manager at the time.....

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Just reading the quotes from Fletch he seems to have offered some real insight. Glad for him. He should be on TV more. He was a fantastic servant to Man Utd.

Last edited:
Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
That still does not justify utilizing Rafael, Jones and Park in cemter midfield and then coaxing Scholes put of retirement, sans givong Pogba a chance yet having stated publically he passed over the chance to sign Sneijder because of him.

GE

Negative Moaning Mentalist
He was excellent on MNF. Sky need to get him in the studio more often.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
That still does not justify utilizing Rafael, Jones and Park in cemter midfield and then coaxing Scholes put of retirement, sans givong Pogba a chance yet having stated publically he passed over the chance to sign Sneijder because of him.
He clearly saw Pogba as a liability, when he’s not in possession. Which was abundantly clear in his reserve performances at the time and still his biggest weakness several years (and hundreds of first team appearances) later.

So Fergie was well within his rights not to risk us shipping goals thanks to picking a very raw, 18 year old Pogba, with such obvious flaws in his game, during a tight title race.

Deleted member 101472

No teal surprise that the man labeled by former teammates as sir Alex Ferguson’s pet turned out to have some good insight

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
It perfectly justifies it and is written in clear English. What is not to understand? All those options were reliable and dependable. Pogba was a liability defensively and in a midfield two and still is.

It perfectly justifies it and is written in clear English. What is not to understand? All those options were reliable and dependable. Pogba was a liability defensively and in a midfield two and still is.
Puhlease. Its laughable to defend it. We were not employing a 2 holding player system at the time. Pogba could easily have been partnered with one other player. I also insist no one who witnessed how bad Rafael faired as a center midfield player vs Blackburn can claim Pogba would have 'faired worse'. People just keep reaching for anything to deny the obvious fact we goofed and it cost us 90m in the end when it caused us to lose Pogba

Wayne's World

Has he retired from football yet? Might be the start of his media career being on sky last night

He clearly saw Pogba as a liability, when he’s not in possession. Which was abundantly clear in his reserve performances at the time and still his biggest weakness several years (and hundreds of first team appearances) later.

So Fergie was well within his rights not to risk us shipping goals thanks to picking a very raw, 18 year old Pogba, with such obvious flaws in his game, during a tight title race.
We shipped goals shamefully vs a horrible Blackburn at home because of experimenting with the likes of Rafael in midfield for example in that same period. I refuse to believe Pogba would have faired much worse at such times.

We plain goofed to lose Pogba the way we did and it WAS our fault. Plain and simple. You win some you lose some. I don't see why people feels this need to constantly pretend it wasn't the case. For getting him back should have made people move on from it already. after all its been 3 seasons since we got him back:lol:

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Puhlease. Its laughable to defend it. We were not employing a 2 holding player system at the time. Pogba could easily have been partnered with one other player. I also insist no one who witnessed how bad Rafael faired as a center midfield player vs Blackburn can claim Pogba would have 'faired worse'. People just keep reaching for anything to deny the obvious fact we goofed and it cost us 90m in the end when it caused us to lose Pogba
We were playing a 2 man b2b system which required both players do their part and be reliable. The exact opposite of what Pogba does. The fact Rafael was poor just tells you how shit Pogba is defensively and how little you could rely on him.

Yea we've spent 90m years later on him and he is still incapable of playing in a 2 man midfield and is still terrible defensively and has been liable for gifting numerous goals and chances to the opposition. Proving Sir Alex and Darren Fletcher to be spot on.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
We were playing a 2 man b2b system which required both players do their part and be reliable. The exact opposite of what Pogba does. The fact Rafael was poor just tells you how shit Pogba is defensively and how little you could rely on him.

Yea we've spent 90m years later on him and he is still incapable of playing in a 2 man midfield and is still terrible defensively and has been liable for gifting numerous goals and chances to the opposition. Proving Sir Alex and Darren Fletcher to be spot on.
:lol: what?

Anyway it's pretty obvious Fergie was playing hard ball with Pogba by that point. They didn't like the demands Raiola was making, and thought they'd call his bluff.

In the end it was an £89m pound mistake. Perhaps Fergie should have played him, let him do rubbish and then subbed him instead.

Knowing Pogba though all he wanted was a chance at a better level, the reserves was beneath him. I think he would have stepped up fine.

Red_Ramirez

Anyway it's pretty obvious Fergie was playing hard ball with Pogba by that point. They didn't like the demands Raiola was making, and thought they'd call his bluff.

In the end it was an £89m pound mistake. Perhaps Fergie should have played him, let him do rubbish and then subbed him instead.

Knowing Pogba though all he wanted was a chance at a better level, the reserves was beneath him. I think he would have stepped up fine.
He had to earn his spot. No one has a divine right

I watched alot of those reserves games and he wasnt pulling his weight. simple. performances were not up to standard...

Adam-Utd

He had to earn his spot. No one has a divine right

I watched alot of those reserves games and he wasnt pulling his weight. simple. performances were not up to standard...
While I agree, he had already surpassed them and looked head and shoulders above everybody else. He was ready for the step up, but chances were very slim.

After the Blackburn fiasco it's no wonder he felt disheartened and wanted to leave. The fact he performed straight away for Juve showed we should have had faith.

Anyway that's the way it played out, I'm just glad we got him back.

We were playing a 2 man b2b system which required both players do their part and be reliable.
Then we'd NEVER have called Scholes out of retirement. Nor had Carrick as a main stay.
The fact Rafael was poor just tells you how shit Pogba is defensively and how little you could rely on him.
Rather it tells you he was simply woefully out of position and a more natural midfielder would have probably faired better. Especially alongside the version of Jones we had those days.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Did you watch him play for our reserves? He was actually finding it pretty difficult right around the time of the Blackburn game.

He looked like he was struggling with the transition from the U18s - where he was physically and technically in a different league to everyone else - to senior football, where he actually had to put in a bit of a shift and pay attention to the defensive side of his game.

My main memory of his reserve appearances at that time (occasional long range screamer aside) was of him strolling around aimlessly, constantly failing to track runners. A taste of things to come!

Craig Ward

It wasn't a mistake - Fergie wouldn't have paid 89 pound to re-sign Pogba.

Its common sense. Pogba cannot defend and/or doesn't have the footballing brain or discipline to play in a midfield 2. He has proved this throughout his career.

Fergie was right, Fletcher is right. Anyone who thinks cos we paid 89 million for him that makes Pogba a brilliant midfielder is very naïve.

Pogba is talented, but a liability in midfield when played deep and given defensive responsibility

Adam-Utd

Did you watch him play for our reserves? He was actually finding it pretty difficult right around the time of the Blackburn game.

He looked like he was struggling with the transition from the U18s - where he was physically and technically in a different league to everyone else - to senior football, where he actually had to put in a bit of a shift and pay attention to the defensive side of his game.

My main memory of his reserve appearances at that time (occasional long range screamer aside) was of him strolling around aimlessly, constantly failing to track runners. A taste of things to come!
Yeah of course, I love watching Pogba, Morrison, Lingard, Keane, Tunnicliffe etc. We had a great young team at that point.

As much I remember he just found it too easy. He wasn't motivated and didn't try his best. I'm not saying it's right and clearly he's had that sort of attitude even with him now, but he's the type who needs to be challenged and playing against other boy's wasn't cutting it for him.

While other's had to play at 100% power to be good enough at that level, Pogba was at 50%.

Adam-Utd

Its common sense. Pogba cannot defend and/or doesn't have the footballing brain or discipline to play in a midfield 2. He has proved this throughout his career.

Fergie was right, Fletcher is right. Anyone who thinks cos we paid 89 million for him that makes Pogba a brilliant midfielder is very naïve.

Pogba is talented, but a liability in midfield when played deep and given defensive responsibility
Nice trolling pal.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
How sad do you have to be to make a thread on Darren Fletcher because he criticised Pogba :houllier:. Seriously anyone criticises Pogba and this guy makes a thread on them :lol:

Josep Dowling

Completely agree. As talented as he is he does loss the ball in place you simply can’t. We have already conceded a couple of goals from him losing possession this season.

I’m not saying he can’t make mistakes but sometimes he just hold onto the ball for far too long.

Irrational.

Fascinating interview on MNF, where he talks Sir Alex, the best teams he's played against, the best players he's played with, his illness and much more.

Top guy.