Darren Fletcher the pundit

Web of Bissaka

Tbh, overall I'm not too impress. Okay analysis, and with his experience he would tell interesting stories about United, the rivals and the top players he have played with -- a staple ex-United player punditry really. In addition to saying other interesting things from his experiences. Then again, there isn't much better pundits anyway, so more please.

EDIT: :D@Irrational. beat me to it by 7-8 mins.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Fletch always struck me as the sort who'd do well in management.

Always gives very erudite interviews, no "y'knows" or "like he said" but well spoken, concise thoughts so would imagine he's someone who gets his thoughts clearly across in the dressing room.

Keep on forgetting he's still actually a player at Stoke, not the greatest move for him really.

arnie_ni

Fascinating interview on MNF, where he talks Sir Alex, the best teams he's played against, the best players he's played with, his illness and much more.

Top guy.
Just watched all that. Top quality

criticalanalysis

Man just get him on the Utd coaching staff. He will be of an asset I'm sure.

He's Keane-lite, which is a good thing.

Jib

Pogba won a WC in a midfield 2 and bullied Moussa Dembele and KDB in the semi final:p

Red_Ramirez

I still remember when he bossed a reserve game at 16yrs old back in the year 2000 (feck im getting old)

The hype was begginning to build up..

I think he got built up so much alot of fans were disappointed when they realised he wasnt the Scottish Beckham or something

The amount of name calling and shit he got on the redcafe and the like back around 2004 2005 when idiots turned on him reached stupid levels. (Not surprising I guess)

Red_Ramirez

Fascinating interview on MNF, where he talks Sir Alex, the best teams he's played against, the best players he's played with, his illness and much more.

Top guy.
Great interview. He's a good lad

Gave us great service too. wish him all the best

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Then we'd NEVER have called Scholes out of retirement. Nor had Carrick as a main stay.

Rather it tells you he was simply woefully out of position and a more natural midfielder would have probably faired better. Especially alongside the version of Jones we had those days.
Wtf are you on about? How are either of those relevant to Pogba. Carrick was superb defensively and his passing to start attacks was great. Scholes always put in a shift and was decent defensively despite the memes. Neither were a liability like Pogba is.

That is the whole point, Pogba was regularly out of position and a liability, more than a fullback out of position. The greatest manager of all time and a highly successful United CM both said he isn't a natural midfielder, he is an attacker. He is clueless defensively, doesn't put in a shift and is a liability. Even in the reserves. But no doubt, you're smarter than Sir Alex and Darren Fletcher.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
That still does not justify utilizing Rafael, Jones and Park in cemter midfield and then coaxing Scholes put of retirement, sans givong Pogba a chance yet having stated publically he passed over the chance to sign Sneijder because of him.
Especially as lost that game which contributed heavily to not winning the title.
I still remember the shock of it coming out that rooney was dropped as a punishment for a meal out!
Talk about spiting ourselves!

3KDré

Interesting, there is some justification then why SAF didn't picked him for certain games at that time. Not like SAF didn't play him at all -- Pogba did played some games. Then, he was so impatient and his agent plot and engineered escape plan.
If he hadn’t done that he might not be the player he is today, so it’s fair enough.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Wtf are you on about?
The fact you cooked up the idiotic lie we were employing 2 box to box players in midfield. That WTF I'm on about......

How are either of those relevant to Pogba.
Seriously? You DON'T see how Rafael simply being woeful because he WASN'T a midfielder has 'no relevance' to the fact a natural midfielder would have faired bettsr than him alongside Phil Jones of that time?

Or the fact Pogba is pretty much a box to box midfielder which neither Carrick, nor Jones nor Rafael who stood in for him at the time, nor a returning from retirement Scholes NEVER were

Carrick was superb defensively and his passing to start attacks was great.
So what? That doesnt make him a box to box midfielder in any shape or form
Scholes always put in a shift and was decent defensively despite the memes. Neither were a liability like Pogba is.
As a guy returning from retirement what Scholes has was positioning. To claim he was defensively superior in that state, to Pogba is plain delusion.

That is the whole point, Pogba was regularly out of position and a liability, more than a fullback out of position.
Its not a point. Its a VS narrative used to deny the fact United and SAF goofed and lost him. It annoys me no end that people talk of Pogna like he is a Betbatov playing in midfield. The only thing you can accuse him of is not undetstanding the tactical rolr if a double pivot. But to call him a 'defensive liability' when he became a star in a used on the left of a 3 man midfield and a diamond at JUVE in which he was the legs, lungs and the defender for Pirlo, is just laughable.

Its even more laughable in light of the defensive shift he iffeted France as they won the world cup.

The greatest manager of all time and a highly successful United CM both said he isn't a natural midfielder, he is an attacker. He is clueless defensively, doesn't put in a shift and is a liability. Even in the reserves. But no doubt, you're smarter than Sir Alex and Darren Fletcher.
Rather. Im simmply smarter than YOU. Because unlike you I know Fergie simply thought he could take his time developing Pogba. Unfortunately for him, the contract situation, Raiola and Pogba's own personal ambitions threw a wrench in his plans. He called the kid's bluff during the contract negotiations, for he felt he and United were beibg taken for a ride, and lost. It happens. If he thought Pogba was any where near as useless as you imagine, he'd NEVER have publically said he'd turned down signing Sneijder due to him, nor would he have been bitterly disapointed like he was when he left how he did. To the extent that till today he blames Raiola and NOT Pogba for how it turned out.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
The fact you cooked up the idiotic lie we were employing 2 box to box players in midfield. That WTF I'm on about......

Seriously? You DON'T see how Rafael simply being woeful because he WASN'T a midfielder has 'no relevance' to the fact a natural midfielder would have faired bettsr than him alongside Phil Jones of that time?

Or the fact Pogba is pretty much a box to box midfielder which neither Carrick, nor Jones nor Rafael who stood in for him at the time, nor a returning from retirement Scholes NEVER were

So what? That doesnt make him a box to box midfielder in any shape or form
As a guy returning from retirement what Scholes has was positioning. To claim he was defensively superior in that state, to Pogba is plain delusion.

Its not a point. Its a VS narrative used to deny the fact United and SAF goofed and lost him. It annoys me no end that people talk of Pogna like he is a Betbatov playing in midfield. The only thing you can accuse him of is not undetstanding the tactical rolr if a double pivot. But to call him a 'defensive liability' when he became a star in a used on the left of a 3 man midfield and a diamond at JUVE in which he was the legs, lungs and the defender for Pirlo, is just laughable.

Its even more laughable in light of the defensive shift he iffeted France as they won the World Cup.

Rather. Im simmply smarter than YOU. Because unlike you I know Fergie simply thought he could take his time developing Pogba. Unfortunately for him, the contract situation, Raiola and Pogba's own personal ambitions threw a wrench in his plans. He called the kid's bluff during the contract negotiations, for he felt he and United were beibg taken for a ride, and lost. It happens. If he thought Pogba was any where near as useless as you imagine, he'd NEVER have publically said he'd turned down signing Sneijder due to him, nor would he have been bitterly disapointed like he was when he left how he did. To the extent that till today he blames Raiola and NOT Pogba for how it turned out.
You're thick as shit.

Way to be pedantic about box to box. Fact is the contributed both ways on the field. Something Pogba doesn't. fecking lol is Pogba a box to box midfielder. He doesn't defend. How the duck is that box to box. No Scholes was miles better defensively. That's why he averaged like 3x more defensive actions.

Do you even watch our games. Of course he's a ducking liability defensively.

It has nothing to do with taking time to develop. He explicitly ducking says they saw him as an attacker and was a liability at reserves level in midfield.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Is everyone forgetting he’s always a first class Cnut whenever he played against us since he left. Don't want him anywhere near the club again.

I remember a game against WBA and he was in the officials face every tackle we put in asking for bookings and trying to influence the ref.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
You're thick as shit.
The typical response of a clown who doesn't actually have an argument

Way to be pedantic about box to box.
Pedantic? You literally invented a stupid lie to back up bullshit. Yet you have the audacity to call people 'thick as shit' for exposing your folly.....

Fact is the contributed both ways on the field.
Which has NO relevance to what was being discussed. Which was namely the basis of you trying to justify the laughable notion that a natural midfielder like Pogba would have faired worse than Rafael did in center midfield alongside an inform Jones.

Something Pogba doesn't. fecking lol is Pogba a box to box midfielder.
Of course he is.

He doesn't defend....
You are plain deluded. that much is clear.........

No Scholes was miles better defensively. That's why he averaged like 3x more defensive actions.
Now you are resorting to lies. Scholes upon his return from retirement was not better than Pogba currently is defensively, that is just utter nonsense. What he had still was better positional sense, which made up for his lesser mobility due to age and thus kept him useful defensively. But better than the current Pogba? in your feckin dreams....

Do you even watch our games. Of course he's a ducking liability defensively......
:lol: clearly you are a WUM. Im done with this argument.:lol:

Last edited:

roseguy64

Is everyone forgetting he’s always a first class Cnut whenever he played against us since he left. Don't want him anywhere near the club again.

I remember a game against WBA and he was in the officials face every tackle we put in asking for bookings and trying to influence the ref.
Because they pay his salary....

Andy_Cole

I don’t get this. What do people want? Ex players to let us win?

I know if I ever played my old 5 a side team I’d up my game and make sure I won. Play dirty too.

meamth

The first punditry will always be critical, insightful and articulate. Just like Neville and Carra did.

What the heck? Are you okay mate?

beycont

Cause he is a professional and WBA pays his wages? Shouldnt he be doing all he can to help his club win? Nothing wrong with that IMO.

padzilla

Hipster

It is almost like he is a professional footballer with a desire to win... I used to scream at the television when playing Pro Evo against my brother, doesn't mean I wouldn't take a bullet for him.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
I seem to have upset a few of you, he was running around constantly getting into the refs face asking for bookings even if the challenge didn’t warrant one he did this on more than one occasion while playing against us for WBA and stoke.

that isn’t professional that’s just cnutish behaviour you’d think he’d have more respect for the club that paid him for all that time he was out. Seeing him like that put him way down in my estimations.

Josh 76

I seem to have upset a few of you, he was running around constantly getting into the refs face asking for bookings even if the challenge didn’t warrant one he did this on more than one occasion while playing against us for WBA and stoke.

that isn’t professional that’s just cnutish behaviour you’d think he’d have more respect for the club that paid him for all that time he was out. Seeing him like that put him way down in my estimations.
Another player who was very annoying when playing against us.

criticalanalysis

Is he? He's level headed and looks well balanced. Keane isnt that .
Hence the lite bit lol.

I actually respected him more because of that. He wore his heart on his sleeve for Utd and played like he gave it his all and cared.

That mentality is what it takes to be a winner despite the circumstances i.e in his case being in a star studded squad and finding his own path in the first team. It's the same with players like Herrera and Fellani. It's controlled game-raising passion and cold blooded prefessionalism. Also to be fair to Fletcher, he was like that in all other games for WBA under Pulis.

I'm in the Pogba camp but this what he lacks at the moment (despite his talents and outrageous ability still making up those short comings) and why he was 'shy' against Juve. Conversely, Ronaldo scoring that goal and celebrating like he did is exactly why he's got to be in a position to be considered the GOAT i.e by being ruthless.

Ok, I know I know, I've gone from Fletcher to Ronaldo lol but you catch my drift. Being timid or 'respectful' (on the pitch) against your old club is imo being disrepectful to yourself, your club and the fans from both sides. It's just sentimental bs.

Last edited:

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Still at Stoke I believe, but he has not played a lot this year. No idea why. He should really retire; he has a bright future as a pundit/analyst.
He's just 34. If he's healthy, don't see why he should.

Johan07

He's just 34. If he's healthy, don't see why he should.
Agree if he is, I just interpreted him featuring in just 10 games this year as a sign that he might not be healthy.
His history with the stomach disorder taken into account as well.
But I really have no idea why he has not been playing, dont follow Stoke, so I will leave it at that.

Pablo76

I’d like to see him back at the club in some capacity.

Gets is and our history/philosophy, and we should be surrounding our stars with people who are Utd through and through now.

Also a smart guy, divided on here about whether or not he was class or a bit part player, but his footballing brain is up there with Carricks for me.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Especially as lost that game which contributed heavily to not winning the title.
I still remember the shock of it coming out that rooney was dropped as a punishment for a meal out!
Talk about spiting ourselves!
I had no issues with that. Fergie ran a tight ship, which may be why he was so successful.

AFC NimbleThumb

Superb dig at VvD, “rashford put him on his backside, the invincible defender people think he is” [or something close to that].

Love this man.