Darren Fletcher's break from football

Maciej

Known for "good moanings" not only in the morning
Fletcher takes a break

On behalf of Darren Fletcher, Manchester United wishes to announce that he is taking an extended break from football for health reasons.

Over the past year he has had several absence periods which we have attributed to a viral illness in order to respect his right to medical confidentiality. Darren has, in fact, been suffering from ulcerative colitis (a chronic inflammatory bowel condition) for some time preceding this.

Whilst he was able to maintain remission of symptoms for a considerable period this has proved more difficult recently and Darren’s continued desire to play and his loyalty to both his club and country has probably compromised the chances of optimising his own health and fitness.

He has therefore accepted medical advice to take an extended break from the demands of training and playing in order to afford the best chance possible of achieving full remission once again.

We request that his privacy is respected and hope that the removal of the additional stress associated with speculation regarding his health will also aid his recovery.
Darren Fletcher takes break for health reasons - Official Manchester United Website

bananaman

This is terrible, best wishes to him. A friend of mine has Crohns and its a bastard of a thing to deal with. I cant imagine being a sportsman with it.

beycont

That's sad news, hope he recovers and we will see him again in United colours.

Wowi

Rød grød med fløde
Not Crohn's disease as rumoured at least. Hope he recovers from this. Question is then, will he be able to get back to his best? He's already been out since Spring, and this "extended break" could very likely last for the rest of the season I'd think - at least a few months.

Robbie Boy

I have very little understanding of this disease.

Anyone out there with more knowledge than me, do you think that he can come back from this and play for us again? Are there any other professional sports players out there that are known to suffer from this?

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
Really sad for Darren. He's just not looked good since the illness.

Probably for the best.

I'm always right

Absolutely gutting.

He was superb the season before all this began, I thought that season was maybe a flash in the pan, now I'm thinking I was wrong, seems like this illness hit him just as he reached his peak.

Sad news, and another midfielder down :(

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
Really sad for Darren. He's just not looked good since the illness.

Probably for the best.
Yeah, he wasn´t himself at all. The worry would be that this is something he´ll never get fully beyond though.

Fergie will have to buy in CM in January now, even if its only a stopgap measure.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
feck, poor guy. Wish him the best.

We have to buy a fecking midfielder.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Poor fletch. It was actually scary how much weight he lost end of last season. I remember his return for the Everton game at OT last season, and he was as thin as feck.

Wish him the best in his recovery.

Amir

Poor lad. Hope he recovers and comes back from it - and comes back well. Somehow it seems his career has only just started a couple of years ago.

As for us, well, we're in trouble.

Devil may care

That's horrible news for Fletcher, I mean forget football I just hope he can get past this for his quality of life as I imagine it's incredibly unpleasant and painful.

Amir

OK, who did this to Wikipedia?

Ulcerative colitis (Colitis ulcerosa, UC), also known as Darren Fletcher (best holding midfielder in the world) disease,

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Get well soon Fletch

NewDawnFades

feck this is awful news, but it explains a lot.

Hope he can return and play for us, and when he does his welcome back to Old Trafford will no doubt be a warm one.

Aporkalypse

Gutted for him, hope he can recover and get back to the level he was at before.

Massive loss for the team as well. Would be very surprised if we don't make a signing in January now, possibly something shorter term.

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
According to someone on BigSoccer it seems like a big impact of this is that you have a really restricted diet as regards the carbs you can take. And that´s gotta mean a professional athlete will struggle to have all the energy they need.