Darron Gibson - is he good enough for Everton?

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
He was obviously a well rounded midfielder who has a pretty good eye for a pass, I'm surprised more teams don't try to get our surplus players. It's like the way people can't seem to believe our team won the league last year, or are leading this year.

It's not all about short players who dribble all day, only the fastest or the biggest.

For all the money thrown around on players, Gibson, O'Shea and Brown have been some of the best purchases of the season. Considering Liverpool's problems I feel safe saying they'd be doing much better with those 3 in their starting line-up.

RedRob

"I believe. I believe there will be more. T
If he'd started his career at a club like Everton, there's be a lot of people pointing to him and asking why a bigger club hadn't come in for him. He's a bit like Scott Parker in this way - a player who does the simple things quite well, one who can improve a team who're lacking a bit of bite, but ultimately limited at the top level. Parker's level is modern-day Tottenham (a club who're fighting for a CL spot), not Mourinho's Chelsea, who reasonably hoped to win it. Likewise, Gibson's level is Everton, who're battling for a Europa League spot, not Man United, who again hope to win the CL.

That said, he was an honest and hard-working player whilst here, who just wasn't as naturally talented as his contemporaries. I'm pleased for him that he's found his level and has become an important player in his team.

NM

Well I just hope he isn't unbeaten till the end of the season as we still have to play them! That being said, I am really happy for Gibson. He deserved a shot to play regularly, and that was not going to happen at United. I hope he has a great career at Everton.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
"The football here is a lot different to what it was at Manchester United. I was shocked at how hard we worked. It took me a few games to get used to it. The difference is that Manchester United have the ball most of the time, don't they? It is a bit different here.

"In recent weeks, when we have been getting results, we have been pressing teams and working really hard to do it – which is something we didn't do too much of at Manchester United. I am probably the fittest I have ever been in my career."
Yes, I always thought he was a a dozy bugger when he was with us. Turns out he didn't think he needn't to run.

Ah well, good luck against Liverpool.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Yes, I always thought he was a a dozy bugger when he was with us. Turns out he didn't think he needn't to run.

Ah well, good luck against Liverpool.
Yeah, kind of a strange comment, I doubt that anyone told him to hold off on his pressing. Though coming off one of our most lethargic performances of the year one can get the impression that occasionally we try to play deep and pick off passes rather than press the man with the ball. I prefer pressing myself.

vuc

First Team Serb
I thought he was great today. Especially in the first half.

Kept it simple, played some good balls, and the Everton players looked for him all the time.

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
He was as he always was for us. Not very mobile, and poor in a defensive sense - all over the place when we put a bit of tempo in our game.

He is a decent signing for them though.

mswiss

pretty sure rooney had a word with him about going there. Rooney is still a big everton fan.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
Hope to see him bang in a few crackers this season.

Mostly because he's in my Fantasy Football team but also because he seems like a decent bloke.

Steven Seagull

http://www.itv.com/sport/football/article/2012-09-01/disappointed-gibson-out-of-ireland-squad/

Darron Gibson has withdrawn from the Republic of Ireland squad for the World Cup qualifier against Kazakhstan after telling manager Giovanni Trapattoni he is still suffering the disappointment of Euro 2012.

The 24-year-old midfielder was initially named in the 23-man party which will fly out to the former Soviet republic next week for the game on Friday night.

Sunderland's David Meyler has been called up in his place and will meet up with the rest of the squad in Dublin tomorrow.

Trapattoni said: "When Darron informed me of his decision to withdraw, I called him to talk things through.

"As we embark upon a brand new campaign, he is very much in my plans and I consider him to be a key player for Ireland for this campaign.

"However, Darron has said that although he doesn't want to let anyone down, he doesn't feel ready to ready to return to the squad for this fixture after the disappointment of Euro 2012.

"I hope that Darron will take this time to reflect positively on his international career, and return to us in time for the Germany game in October."

Gibson went to Poland and Ukraine with Ireland, but was restricted to a seat on the bench as they slipped to successive defeats at the hands of Croatia, Spain and Italy.

Trapattoni indicated in the aftermath of the finals that Gibson, along with the likes of James McCarthy and James McClean, would have bigger parts to play in his future plans.

The Italian has seen the vastly-experienced Shay Given and Damien Duff announce their retirements from international football in recent weeks and although Richard Dunne has confirmed his intention to play on once he has recovered from injury, the manager is having to contemplate significant change.

He will hope Gibson does eventually return to the fold with Group C favourites Germany due in Dublin on October 12, four days before his side heads for the Faroe Islands.

The Republic, who only just missed out on the last World Cup finals after a controversial play-off defeat by France, will look to open the latest campaign with a positive result in Kazakhstan before heading for London to face Oman in a friendly at Craven Cottage during the forthcoming international break.
What's all this then? Seems a bit strange. Similar to the Carrick-Capello situation?

Robbie Boy

Wouldn't blame him, has had next to no game-time under Trap. Seeing Paul Green get on the pitch ahead of him must have been quite dishearthening indeed. Another player to seemingly get fed up with Trap, sigh....

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons

He is too good for Everton, I have feeling Barcelona will pick him in the summer. :cool:

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
That's actually brilliant. Reading the thread on GOT, looks like he was MoTM yesterday. Well done.