Darts

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
That’s really cool! I downloaded one of those darts apps and play with my friend from back home and the computer.

I tried mixing up my technique just now and increased my average quite substantially and was hitting doubles fairly nicely, before I found I was almost covering up what I was going for over my right eye and now I’m moving the dart more central to my forehead, seemed to be working but doesn’t feel hugely comfortable.
I could throw in 10 different ways and one day a different one would be working the best but it won't last. When you get comfortable and you are concentrating more on what you are looking at rather than how you are actually throwing it things get much easier. I decided to take all the doubt from equipment out as well and had a guy who has retired now make me 2 sets of the the original Eric Bristow Durro darts. They are my perfect darts I will never even try any others again. I also use Cosmo shafts and flights which are the same length and shape - never ever change them now so any thinking about what I am throwing with doesn't enter my head ever as I know this is my perfect setup - if I play badly then it's me and not about flight shapes, longer stems etc. I find that personally helps me anyway there is enough of a mindfeck playing the game so any amount you can reduce it is good.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I could throw in 10 different ways and one day a different one would be working the best but it won't last. When you get comfortable and you are concentrating more on what you are looking at rather than how you are actually throwing it things get much easier. I decided to take all the doubt from equipment out as well and had a guy who has retired now make me 2 sets of the the original Eric Bristow Durro darts. They are my perfect darts I will never even try any others again. I also use Cosmo shafts and flights which are the same length and shape - never ever change them now so any thinking about what I am throwing with doesn't enter my head ever as I know this is my perfect setup - if I play badly then it's me and not about flight shapes, longer stems etc. I find that personally helps me anyway there is enough of a mindfeck playing the game so any amount you can reduce it is good.
Yeah I’m looking forward to being at that level, where I can feel confident in my technique.

Do you prefer longer or short stems? Also I hold my dart like a pen but sometimes nip it on the way through when I throw it, is that common?

The Cat

Yeah I’m looking forward to being at that level, where I can feel confident in my technique.

Do you prefer longer or short stems? Also I hold my dart like a pen but sometimes nip it on the way through when I throw it, is that common?
I prefer shorter stems but it totally depends on your own throw - nothing is incorrect it is just what works best for you. You will sometimes clip your face or a digit - we aren't built to throw it the same every single time. The secret is consistency and a lot of practice to hone however you throw. I've seen awful throws that just work. If you need to experiment I know there things like this on ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Harrows-...=1426064108250189197040bf44de802d315350c0a1ac

If I were starting out I would get something like that and try and get as varied a kit as possible - different stem lengths, flight shapes they all make a difference to eveyone - try it all out but when you make your decision with what feel best stick to it and when you feel like changing don't - just practice more.

Berbasbullet

I prefer shorter stems but it totally depends on your own throw - nothing is incorrect it is just what works best for you. You will sometimes clip your face or a digit - we aren't built to throw it the same every single time. The secret is consistency and a lot of practice to hone however you throw. I've seen awful throws that just work. If you need to experiment I know there things like this on ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Harrows-Darts-58-Piece-Service-Kit-or-Super-Pro-Darts-Tune-Up-Kit-Accessory/142606410825?_trkparms=ispr=1&hash=item2134012449:g:VAcAAOSw8b1aHwCW&enc=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&checksum=1426064108250189197040bf44de802d315350c0a1ac

If I were starting out I would get something like that and try and get as varied a kit as possible - different stem lengths, flight shapes they all make a difference to eveyone - try it all out but when you make your decision with what feel best stick to it and when you feel like changing don't - just practice more.
I ordered something very similar on eBay so I’m happy i have done that now.

How long would you say it would take before I start noticing an improvement and hitting doubles regularly?

The Cat

I ordered something very similar on eBay so I’m happy i have done that now.

How long would you say it would take before I start noticing an improvement and hitting doubles regularly?
Very small improvements by the week. But some weeks it will seem you have gone backwards as well. Don't practice enough to get bored by it though find some medium ground. I got loads of practice stuff I'll share later on if you want

Berbasbullet

Very small improvements by the week. But some weeks it will seem you have gone backwards as well. Don't practice enough to get bored by it though find some medium ground. I got loads of practice stuff I'll share later on if you want
Thanks, I find that some days I feel like I've improved loads and then I come back and I can't hit anything so that's good to know.

Yeah please that would be great.

paulscholes18

With Cross & now the Asp out, it has opened up for Jackpot to make his first major Semi for a while

The Cat

Feck! Just saw that, was snowed yesterday, so could only watch til Ando-Wade. Did not expect that in a million years, MVG always batters Whitlock. This tournament is wide open.
MVG couldn't get going - I was expecting Whitlock to let the lead get to him and drop off but he finished it off well.

Berbasbullet

Played my mate last night who came over, he did a fecking 15 darter on me! The mad man! I’ve defo been getting worse since changing up my eye line so might need to switch back, I don’t know.

The Cat

Played my mate last night who came over, he did a fecking 15 darter on me! The mad man! I’ve defo been getting worse since changing up my eye line so might need to switch back, I don’t know.
The best advice is don't take anyone's advice as best for you. Find what you find more comfortable above all.You can tweak things but you have to decide your basic throw and stick to it - if it doesn't feel right after giving it a decent chance then it's not right for you. Like I said if you take in to account the eye thing I throw from the most opposite extreme possible - but after many many years of playing I know it is right for me.

paulscholes18

Your mates a good player then
Yes probably worth switching back, It was just something i heard Paul Nicholson mention a couple of times I thought it may have been a useful tip.
If @Catt doesn’t do it and he has a far better darting pedigree than me then it may also not suit you as well.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Yes probably worth switching back, It was just something i heard Paul Nicholson mention a couple of times I thought it may have been a useful tip.
If @Catt doesn’t do it and he has a far better darting pedigree than me then it may also not suit you as well.
Whaaat :confused:

paulscholes18

You can tell Stuart Pike doesn’t play darts, Smith had 80 left with 1 dart in hand went for tops but missed the board and he just went off on one, Ratajski was on 32, 90% of dart players would have went for tops in that situation

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Wow those QFs were real endurance tests. Hope Ando can spark off Smith in the semi and really catch fire. He's defo getting better as the tournament goes on.
I can't help feeling we're in for a Durrant-Smith final though.

paulscholes18

Good comeback from Durrant from 10-5 down to win 18-16, VVdV pissed off looked like he wanted to knockout the caller

Berbasbullet

It’s mad how you go through phases in practice where you play really well and then the next day you can’t hit anything at all.

I’ve been training by playing dartbot on my phone and I previously couldn’t beat the setting of a 20 average, however I crushed a setting of a 30 average 3-1 in legs with a 34 average. Loads better I must say and I almost got my first 180!

Berbasbullet

You'll be happy to know I am going strong still, got a 140 yesterday, playing dartbot on my phone, set him to a 30 average, I averaged 40 and best him 3-1 with an 81 checkout and a 24 dart leg!

Playing loads better I'm getting better at throwing it straight, of course next time I play I won't hit those heights but good to see I can play quite well.

The Cat

You'll be happy to know I am going strong still, got a 140 yesterday, playing dartbot on my phone, set him to a 30 average, I averaged 40 and best him 3-1 with an 81 checkout and a 24 dart leg!

Playing loads better I'm getting better at throwing it straight, of course next time I play I won't hit those heights but good to see I can play quite well.
Nice one.

My favourite practice routine if I have at least an hour to do it is to throw until I score over 90.

Then switch to a finish - I start on 61 but it can be done lower. Throw until you hit it then switch back until you score over 90 and then move on to 62 and keep going as far as you can.

You are not then just idly throwing at the board you aiming for something all the time.

Berbasbullet

Nice one.

My favourite practice routine if I have at least an hour to do it is to throw until I score over 90.

Then switch to a finish - I start on 61 but it can be done lower. Throw until you hit it then switch back until you score over 90 and then move on to 62 and keep going as far as you can.

You are not then just idly throwing at the board you aiming for something all the time.
That's a great routine, I just play dart bot all the time :lol:

I'll try that.

paulscholes18

Well played. The more you practice the more consistent you will become.
A practice game I play is 121 in 9 darts. So 9 darts to checkout 121, once you do that you go up by 1 each time so 122, 123 etc.

Do any know anyone who plays darts for a team that you can join once pubs/ clubs fully reopen?

Berbasbullet

Well played. The more you practice the more consistent you will become.
A practice game I play is 121 in 9 darts. So 9 darts to checkout 121, once you do that you go up by 1 each time so 122, 123 etc.

Do any know anyone who plays darts for a team that you can join once pubs/ clubs fully reopen?
I don’t really any near me annoyingly, I will do some research though.

That’s a cool game too! Might start that one as well.

paulscholes18

Judgement night, can’t see Cross surviving, expecting Durrant to do a number on him, looked really good vs MVG beating him 7-3

paulscholes18

MVG is looking more, and more human every game he plays, the change of sponsorship hasn’t worked

Jippy

Staff
Wright missed D12 for a 9 darter. 3 times in 5 nights he’s had a dart for a 9
He was a bit unlucky against Price, losing with a 107+ average.
League is shaping up nicely. With Durrant through, three from Ando, MVG, Price, Asp and Wright a tough call. Smith looks finished, reckon Wright won't make it either.

paulscholes18

He was a bit unlucky against Price, losing with a 107+ average.
League is shaping up nicely. With Durrant through, three from Ando, MVG, Price, Asp and Wright a tough call. Smith looks finished, reckon Wright won't make it either.
Double trouble again for Smith to let duzza come from 7-2 down to get a point

paulscholes18

Ah shit, forgot this was back tonight. Can't see it on sky sports though.

Hell that Wright v MVG score!
It had just finished on sky sports arena .

MVG just seemed really nervous and uncomfortable, very fidgety he was shaking his arm out after which seemed like every throw then kept rubbing his hand on his trousers and neck. It was very strange also most of the match he was around the 85 mark. Peter Wright played like he did for his previous 3 matches but this time got the win.

Jippy

Staff
It had just finished on sky sports arena .

MVG just seemed really nervous and uncomfortable, very fidgety he was shaking his arm out after which seemed like every throw then kept rubbing his hand on his trousers and neck. It was very strange also most of the match he was around the 85 mark. Peter Wright played like he did for his previous 3 matches but this time got the win.
Damn, I'll set the video tomorrow so I don't forget.
It's weird with MVG. He started slowly with the new darts, but then looked back when he won the UK in March.
It's not like you can blame a hostile crowd for his nerves- it's just him on his own going through whatever in his head.