Darts

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Doesn't win anywhere near as much and his aura has been really taken away. He'll not get to that level again, once the aura goes.... it's gone. Happens to anyone so dominant. With darts expanding massively I doubt we'll see that kind of dominance for some time, both MVG and Taylor got lucky to get in while explosions were happening, and hopefully that's not looking like I'm taking away from them, undoubtedly lights ahead in the current all-time rankings and deservedly so.
:lol:They got lucky winning major finals with 110+ averages and throwing darts that haven't been matched since.
MVG's problems, darts aside, seem to be in his own head. His confidence is still surprisingly brittle under sustained pressure.

Shame Ando wasn't on it tonight. Price excellent in that four set burst.

Zen

Come back and laugh you when see a 10 year dominance by one man or basically a 3 year run where another gobbles everything up in far bigger tour......you take most of the players from todays top 20 to the start of the split and Taylor isn’t winning 8 on the bounce, still think he’d be the dominant player mind.

Jippy

Staff
Come back and laugh you when see a 10 year dominance by one man or basically a 3 year run where another gobbles everything up in far bigger tour......you take most of the players from todays top 20 to the start of the split and Taylor isn’t winning 8 on the bounce, still think he’d be the dominant player mind.
Maybe, but it's crazy to suggest they were lucky. They raised the game to new heights and it was those two (backed by Hearn's marketing nous) that really made darts the giant beast it is today. When the averages got higher, Taylor was able to come back and raise the bar again, same with MVG.
I tend to agree with what Wade said the other month. The standard at the very top has gone down since after peak Taylor and MVG, but the standard overall has massively increased, so the players ranked say 10-32 can beat anyone on their day. It makes it more open though -you've now had five different world champions in six years, which never happened before- so it's arguably more interesting in that sense.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Phil Taylor did not get lucky ffs

Zen

Maybe, but it's crazy to suggest they were lucky. They raised the game to new heights and it was those two (backed by Hearn's marketing nous) that really made darts the giant beast it is today. When the averages got higher, Taylor was able to come back and raise the bar again, same with MVG.
I tend to agree with what Wade said the other month. The standard at the very top has gone down since after peak Taylor and MVG, but the standard overall has massively increased, so the players ranked say 10-32 can beat anyone on their day. It makes it more open though -you've now had five different world champions in six years, which never happened before- so it's arguably more interesting in that sense.
More or less my point - due to his clear talent, Taylor was more or less immune to an upset in the early rounds because he was playing a fair few players who couldn't, financially, commit to the sport full time like they can now.

Jippy

Staff
More or less my point - due to his clear talent, Taylor was more or less immune to an upset in the early rounds because he was playing a fair few players who couldn't, financially, commit to the sport full time like they can now.
You still have that now though, particularly among overseas players- Heta only moved over to the UK last year, for example. Mervyn King and Scott Waites have day jobs too, they're not all pros.

Zen

You still have that now though, particularly among overseas players- Heta only moved over to the UK last year, for example. Mervyn King and Scott Waites have day jobs too, they're not all pros.
Regardless of them and others having jobs, they can live off the tour alone further down the rankings. With greater money comes greater talent in bigger numbers, to a level where unless someone is borderline robotic, 8-in-a-row will be next to impossible... or until the money dries up and the talent fades.

Maybe 'luck' is the wrong word, more a case of 'right person, right time'. I don't think anyone else would of dominated the same for instance.

paulscholes18

Done an acca tonight but didn't touch those two could go either way.
Would have gone for King and Clayton but I’ve set myself a monthly limit and hit it a couple of weeks ago.

Don’t get much luck on acca’s did 3 at the world championships all failed by one and all the shortest odds to win, Micheal Smith, Snakebite and MVG :lol:

Last edited:

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Would have gone for King and Clayton but I’ve set myself a monthly limit and hit it a couple of weeks ago.

Don’t get much luck on acca’s did 3 at the world championships all failed by one and all the shortest odds to win, Micheal Smith, Snakebite and MVG :lol:
Mine's not looking too good right now either :lol:

paulscholes18

They've changed the format with a prelim round now? Thought just having a straight shootout between the top 16 was fine as it was tbh.
Same, don’t see the point in the change.

Smith has won 4 legs his lowest finish has been 132 :lol: :eek:

sallycinnamin

Great to see Lewis not just competing but winning. Match v Gary Anderson a right throwback literally.
Best of 19 from tomorrow on.
Tonight's not bad either.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
This guy announcing the scores is so strange , as if not having crowds isn't bad enough but to see someone announce 140 so casually sucks imo

paulscholes18

God knows how Cross is still world number 4. Feels like he's awful for at least two years.
King's resurgence impressive though.
If it was a yearly OOM Cross would be world no25, he is defending a lot of money this year, as in 2019 he won the Matchplay, European championship and also reached the final in the UK open and World Series.

Yes King has been great for a few months now, been good to see

Jippy

Staff
If it was a yearly OOM Cross would be world no25, he is defending a lot of money this year, as in 2019 he won the Matchplay, European championship and also reached the final in the UK open and World Series.

Yes King has been great for a few months now, been good to see
Forgot about the matchplay and how solid he was in 2019. He's going to drop like a stone then in all likelihood.
King gets in more spats than anyone- bet he's a twat to play.

Jippy

Staff
A lot of big averages and finishes today. Hope it carries over into the evening.

King a great shout for that last Premier League spot btw. Even more so if he beats Price to reach another final.

Jippy

Staff
Hell of a comeback and unbelievable on the doubles. Clayton can win a TV major- back to back averages of 103+ and 105+, but doubt he'll replicate a 91% checkout ratio:eek:

Last edited:

paulscholes18

Looks like Clayton or Barney now for the last PL spot - Q school yet to take place.
Anyone you know going to Q School?
There’s a couple of people I my local league going, don’t know why they going, don’t even or even close to being good enough to play for their county B team.

I’m sure the players don’t even need to be told, if they win then they’re in the PL